Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR vs Internet.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by Guileplayer

http://www.teamasunder.com/2012/01/30/the-internet-vs-bioware-how-trolls-set-out-to-destroy-the-old-republic/

Very funny but long article. Read it at work or leisure. Thoughts?

I don't consider myself a troll. I'm a dissatisfied customer. I wanted this game to be fun, I tried to promote it, I just can't go on doing so anymore. I won't steer folks away from the game, but I will state my disappointment. The thing is on a very large scale I'm not alone and that's pretty telling.                 

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

BW doesn't need help destorying this game.

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112

http://www.teamasunder.com/2012/01/30/the-internet-vs-bioware-how-trolls-set-out-to-destroy-the-old-republic/

Seems like another genius who just can't wrap his head around the fact that not everyone has the same opinion he does.

"It doesn’t deserve anything below a 6 by even the staunchest critics"

Do you hear that all you staunch critics?? You start at 6 and not 1 point lower!

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Mhmm, it's something I noticed as well. 

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Haha I guess Bioware should have went to the ArenaNet school for internet bandwagoning.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

Ding dong warnu

• DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

The undeserved negative publicity that The Old Republic has garnered is almost mindboggling.  Like a kind of collective inside joke that a fourth of the internet heard about, and then immediately forgot why was funny, the sheer amount of damage that a very vocal group in the internet will attempt to heap onto one game makes absolutely no sense from any logical standpoint.

The phrase "logical standpoint" really stands out here, in that the author has completely ignored the sensible side of critical discussion over TOR and headed straight for the gutter, aka 4chan of all places.

They post beta videos and highlight the glitches and extreme easiness, when the entire point of a beta is to weed out problems and test out that mechanics work, rather than provide a challenge

And continued with examples to Skyrim, from dear Bethesda (Bugthesda, to others). Skyrim is not a good comparison. It is not even a mediocre comparison. If you want to compare an MMORPG to something, then compare it to another MMORPG, not a SRPG, no matter how massive the single-player experience may be.

ToR's problems stem from its factor that it bills itself, even by its own developers, as WoW with Star Wars. When you're dead set on copying someone else down to the core and expecting similar success, you're bound for failure. Skyrim is akin to Blizzard's Diablo as in that they're set to beat themselves, and do it by making a sequel that surpasses the former, instead of locking their developers into a dark room for three years playing vanilla WoW and demanding a game that doesn't inherently improve on the original, while the original has already evolved into a much different and acceptable (for our times) beast.

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Hrmm, another SWTOR is disappointing thread. This is new and exciting.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by Zeal77

Heard that

You would think that everyone would have vented by now

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by BethelsBoy

Heard that

I guess they're gonna do this until GW2 comes out and then beat on that.

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

Heard that

put on your game face, bro.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

You didn't read the article, did you?  It talks about the innacuracies and bias of those who troll SWTOR.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Well if we look at this from a human perspective, one could say that at least he is entering the 3rd stage of grief now. Trying to bargain that if they just stop bad mouthing the game it may come back. But many are still stuck in the first stage still.

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

He used a Hi-Res pic in his WoW - Tor graphic comparrison caption!

BURN HIM!

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

The author stands on the false grounds to start with.

He's assuming most of the people really go to gaming sites and read Internet articles before they get into a game. I think most don't. Trolls, critiques, fanboys, haters and lovers form their own kind of social circle that will not ultimately make or break when aiming towards masses.

Talking about SW:ToR, I'm sure most of the people got into EA/BW marketing campaing. You know, it was something unseen. They even had marketing event at Times Square.

Who destroyed the game then? The answer is really simple. Marketing department. I'm sure the game director and his staff did everything humanly possible to make the game match with the marketing, although everyone was able to see it was humanly impossible task to perform.

Originally posted by potapithikos

He used a Hi-Res pic in his WoW - Tor graphic comparrison caption!

BURN HIM!

Well it looks like that option will soon be impletmented now.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Heard that

Seriously? You didn't even have to read the article and just read the link the OP put to realize this isn't.

Some of you are so overdramatic and overly defensive.

Kind of like the article itself.

Only reason the hate is notched up to 11 for this game is because the hype beforehand was as well. Not the least bit surprising or should be unexpected considering the ip, the company, and the genre in general. Both the haters and fanboys in relation to this game reach hilarious levels of bs at times that makes for good entertainment.

I've seen some classic lines and delusional beliefs thrown around by both sides. Rather even really from what I have seen.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

When TOR proves to be a major success, we'll know he was right.  It was just a lot of blind hate from people who didn't even play the game, while the happy customer base will keep subscribing and growing, month after month.

..or not.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by Vhaln

When TOR proves to be a major success, we'll know he was right.  It was just a lot of blind hate from people who didn't even play the game, while the happy customer base will keep subscribing and growing, month after month.

..or not.

Believe it or not the game is doing quite allright atm. A lot of of heavy to full servers during peak time. Very few (1-3) light servers. I think this game isn't going anytime soon. With the new patch getting added next month i think it will only get bigger. :)

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

Another article with a person opening that they are not biased then set up a straw man argument for Tor instead of counter valid complaints.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I find the article to be very accurate, and cleverly written.

I also am laughing pretty hard at all the people in this forum who simply don't get the joke, and or are the butt of it...

Me thinks most of you doth protest faaar too much.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Believe it or not the game is doing quite allright atm. A lot of of heavy to full servers during peak time. Very few (1-3) light servers. I think this game isn't going anytime soon. With the new patch getting added next month i think it will only get bigger. :)

What will get bigger? The Imperial side? Already is in droves

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Sojhin

Another article with a person opening that they are not biased then set up a straw man argument for Tor instead of counter valid complaints.

Pardon, I don't believe you are using the term correctly, since you dont' even bother to elucidate on the terms of the suposed "straw man" argument they are setting up...  I really doubt your authenticity.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

What will get bigger? The Imperial side? Already is in droves

The game in general will get bigger over time. Their retention rate was very good after the free month :)

Originally posted by Sojhin

Because, conversely, this never happens ...