Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift just innovated and solved problem of Cross Faction imbalance :)

Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

We will see how this works out, but at first glance I found myself thinking, "Why the hell didn't I think of that".

"The Mercenary system seeks to slash queue times by queuing some players and groups as mercenaries – this designates you as a team mate of the opposite faction as a sword for hire, you’ll receive a Mercenary buff and on-screen callout.  Expect to see shorter waits between warfronts and while we realize it might be hard to not kill the dwarfs, remember: they could be on your side now!"

Sounds like a great plan that cuts through a lot of fluff and gets down to just getting teams arranged and players playing.

Comments

• FareasFareas Member Posts: 75

What is this doing in SWTOR forums it doesn't belong here unless you're trying to start a flame war.

Also it sorta makes the whole factions being opposites irrelevant because now they can be best friends in battle when they are supposed to be rivals.

It's a fix but in my opinion not the best.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Ganathar

The RIFT forums are that way -------> http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/431/view/forums/forum/1001/General-Discussion.html

Uhhh...so are you saying that ideas from other games that are extremely applicable to major problems in SWTOR shouldn't even be considered?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by Fareas

What is this doing in SWTOR forums it doesn't belong here unless you're trying to start a flame war.

Also it sorta makes the whole factions being opposites irrelevant because now they can be best friends in battle when they are supposed to be rivals.

I think it is an excellent solution. There are Sith and Republic Bounty Hunters/Mercenaries I would assume. This can be worked with the Lore and History in some way and used to balance the battlefields on Ilum and elsewhere. 

It is a far better solution than I have seen from the SWTOR developers to date.

What are your own ideas on how to solve the incredible imbalance?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I like the idea of a 3rd faction just for PvP purposes.

Hell, there are examples in TOR of different factions within the Empire fighting each other. Entire Flashpoints.

They already have Huttball which is faction-neutral - so why not?

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Creslin321

The RIFT forums are that way -------> http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/431/view/forums/forum/1001/General-Discussion.html

Uhhh...so are you saying that ideas from other games that are extremely applicable to major problems in SWTOR shouldn't even be considered?

Dont bring that crazy talk here, people might think you work for blizzard or something with that kind of logic.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I do not really like like Rift, but I have to admit it: Trion, this is an excellent idea. I really like the stabby-stabby-in-your-back image of mercenaries. : )

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

All right it is a great idea. I just thought this thread was going to start a flame war or something, sorry.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

They should have made the Hutt Crime Lords a third faction, hiring out their services to both side.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is a big issue with SWToR - most everyone is Empire. If you could queue some percentage of the Empire players (Bounty Hunters at a minimum), you could alleviate a lot of queuing issues. It's a good example of how to think outside the box.

From a Rift lore standpoint, it makes no sense. Neither faction would work for the other...even if they would work with the other, but it's a good balance idea.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FareasFareas Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Gel214th

I think it is an excellent solution. There are Sith and Republic Bounty Hunters/Mercenaries I would assume. This can be worked with the Lore and History in some way and used to balance the battlefields on Ilum and elsewhere. 

It is a far better solution than I have seen from the SWTOR developers to date.

What are your own ideas on how to solve the incredible imbalance?

To be fair they are only applying the mercenary the battlegrounds not global world pvp so it's only a small fix on the instanced battlegrounds side unlike Ilum I don't see how they could solve that problem without sharding it so that there could be only 50 republic and only 50 imps in 1 instance of the world but then more problems arise. I don't think it can be worked out very well after the game is out... Honestly it's the kind of thing you should think about before release.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I believe if the lore allows it I totally approve what Rift is doing

But with some lores it just can't happen without some serious raping

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

OP didn't mention TOR at all, having said something along the lines of "Could this be applied to SWTOR's WZ" would have made the post relevant here, but he didn't, it belong on the Rift forum.

Or we'd have cross posting all over the place.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Seems like a smart idea. Kind of a kick in the face of immersion and roleplay values but gameplay uber alles I guess.

It's instanced battlegrounds anyway so not much harm done. I wonder if some people will purposely not cooperate with their sworn enemies though. Should yield some tasty drama in chat.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Originally posted by BadSpock

I like the idea of a 3rd faction just for PvP purposes.

Hell, there are examples in TOR of different factions within the Empire fighting each other. Entire Flashpoints.

They already have Huttball which is faction-neutral - so why not?

Pretty much this.   I have no idea why none of the devs for any of these bargin bin express MMOs have not figured out that a 3rd faction for PvP is great.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I agree that this should be in the rift forum. Of course, there is also the official thread here, so maybe this is a bait thread.

In any case, I like the idea and I hope the TOR devs pay attention.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by lizardbones

This is a big issue with SWToR - most everyone is Empire. If you could queue some percentage of the Empire players (Bounty Hunters at a minimum), you could alleviate a lot of queuing issues. It's a good example of how to think outside the box.

From a Rift lore standpoint, it makes no sense. Neither faction would work for the other...even if they would work with the other, but it's a good balance idea.

It is a good idea. I don't think this should be done for the force users since , you know, they are the ones at war with each other.  But it makes perfect sense for smugglers and bounty hunters. I was never a big fan of those two classes being stuck with the two factions in the first place. It should also be optional.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

RIFT is the worst game ever for PVP

you do realise, rift is just grind mini games right, and they "borrowed" this idea from SWTOR with huttball

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Originally posted by Leethe

They should have made the Hutt Crime Lords a third faction, hiring out their services to both side.

People have been saying this since the officials forums opened years and years ago. Alas, nobody listened. :(

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by lizardbones

Funny how this idea seems to fit SWTOR much BETTER than it fits Rift.

A sith that gets temporarily sided with the jedi? His lightsabre could turn blue and his skin tone a bit lighter. A jedi gets sided with the Empire? His sabre could turn red and skin darker/veined. All effects temporary of course.

In the movies it wasnt unheard of with switching sides even for force users, and for bounty hunters, agents, smugglers and soldiers the temporary side switching makes even more sense.

Of course Illium would need to be capped for this to be a possible solution, and they could still just try to balance it with NPC forces ("Dogs of War" anyone..?)

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

This is a perfect solution to any game that has Warzones/Battlegournds  or instanced pvp.

In SWTOR, you end up playing players of the same faction anyway...  Why can't everyone be in a single queue for pvp?  If there are enough players, 20+, who cares if 18 are Republlic and 1 are Empire.... split them up evenly, maybe preferably by class... equal number of healers, dps or tanks...

Faction only makes sense in the context of us vs. them (story), however, you lose the story with warzones anyway because it doesn't make sense for members of the opposite faction battle each other in sports entertainment (huttball).

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Doesn't huttball allow for same faction fights?  Sound to be like Rift stole this idea.

:P

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

We will see how this works out, but at first glance I found myself thinking, "Why the hell didn't I think of that".

"The Mercenary system seeks to slash queue times by queuing some players and groups as mercenaries – this designates you as a team mate of the opposite faction as a sword for hire, you’ll receive a Mercenary buff and on-screen callout.  Expect to see shorter waits between warfronts and while we realize it might be hard to not kill the dwarfs, remember: they could be on your side now!"

Sounds like a great plan that cuts through a lot of fluff and gets down to just getting teams arranged and players playing.

I dont see a fix here, I see a patchwork bandaid for a problem they created themselfs by splitting factions to begin with.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by Paithan

I dont see a fix here, I see a patchwork bandaid for a problem they created themselfs by splitting factions to begin with.

Oh come on now....it's a good solution to the two faction problem that exists on most MMORPG's.  It's OK to hate, but you have to give credit where it is due.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Seems like a decent solution.  

I just don't want those stupid republic on my team during huttball.  They are terrible at it on my server.

Ahhh sorry republic players I'm just kidding.  I'm sure there's a lot of good Republic pvpers, they just don't appear to be on my server.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com