Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I raise my base stats?

er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101

i'm trying to raise my charisma +2 to e able to cast sorcerer spells but cant figure out how or if its even possible? i have a lvl 2 cleric and tried to cross train as a sorcerer but found out its not possible without raising my charisma. did i screw up?

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

afaik you cant "respec" from multiclassing.

You can raise stats only by using feats afaik. It also might be that you get some stat-points but im not sure, at least thats the tabletop rules, you get some stat points at some point or other to distribute, but its rare.

Stats should be counted as "fixed" in DnD settings when you pick them.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

cleric and sorcs are not really a good cross class choice, clerics need wis to cast spells, sorc char. you can raise with tomes with would solve your casting problems, also any equipment who raise char would also help, some capes have it, also each 4 lvls you get a new atribute points to spend it, most of time I wouldn't raise any stats over 14 in creation unless you need it for a skill or feat, but that is because I roll a pally so I would need several points in several areas

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by alkarionlog

cleric and sorcs are not really a good cross class choice, clerics need wis to cast spells, sorc char. you can raise with tomes with would solve your casting problems, also any equipment who raise char would also help, some capes have it, also each 4 lvls you get a new atribute points to spend it, most of time I wouldn't raise any stats over 14 in creation unless you need it for a skill or feat, but that is because I roll a pally so I would need several points in several areas

Actually Sorc was a very popular cross class for clerics at one time because they both should have decent charisma. Clerics power their PRE with charisma. It is quite possible to have a good charisma score and by that alone keep a party healed using Radiant Servant skills in some situations.

But that said cross class in sorc is no longer popular since the only reasons it was done was for more SP at a time when spell points were hard to come by, no potions and clerics had a small spell point pool and for use of wands. Back then wands were kind of useful to get through content. You no longer need those wands really and wands are kind of weak for the most part. The problem with cross class in sorc is you are never going to be a good sorc with a cleric main unless you take so many levels that you are no longer really a cleric.

Why not raise any stat over 14 at creation? Your main stat or two should almost always start higher than that. if you only go to 14 you must be adding stat points to stats that are marginally useful at best while kind of ignoring ones that you should be maxing or at least going to 16 in.

Originally posted by er99

i'm trying to raise my charisma +2 to e able to cast sorcerer spells but cant figure out how or if its even possible? i have a lvl 2 cleric and tried to cross train as a sorcerer but found out its not possible without raising my charisma. did i screw up?

You should always plan cross class BEFORE you create the character to avoid these issues. Also you should think long and hard about WHY you would want to add sorc. Sorc was a good choice years ago, not so much now. What is your plan with this character?

If you are doing it to cast sorc spells, stop now. In order to have good sorc spells you need lots of sorc levels. In that case your low charisma is going to ruin the character. If you are taking it for low level spells, you are going to hate the character later and it will likely fade in usefulness quite quickly in a couple of levels when those spells are too weak to waste SP on.

As a cleric you are going to have very good offensive spells one day soon. Every multiclass level you take just slows down your getting to them. Get your cleric to level 6 and get the first level of Radian Servant, grab a friend or two to watch and then go solo Deleras Tomb using nothing but Radiant servant bursts to annihilate undead.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

The answer to your question is yes, you most certainly are capable of raising your charisma stat by 2 points in order to cast sorcerer spells via items, level ups, tomes, etc. However, as other have stated, as a cleric you should not multiclass to a sorcerer, be it 1 or 10 levels. In fact, a caster like the sorcerer or a casting cleric usually go pure in order to make their spells less resistable.

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

You should always plan cross class BEFORE you create the character to avoid these issues. Also you should think long and hard about WHY you would want to add sorc. Sorc was a good choice years ago, not so much now. What is your plan with this character?

If you are doing it to cast sorc spells, stop now. In order to have good sorc spells you need lots of sorc levels. In that case your low charisma is going to ruin the character. If you are taking it for low level spells, you are going to hate the character later and it will likely fade in usefulness quite quickly in a couple of levels when those spells are too weak to waste SP on.

As a cleric you are going to have very good offensive spells one day soon. Every multiclass level you take just slows down your getting to them. Get your cleric to level 6 and get the first level of Radian Servant, grab a friend or two to watch and then go solo Deleras Tomb using nothing but Radiant servant bursts to annihilate undead.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help. Since i'm only at lvl 3 with her i'm thinking it might be a good idea to delete this character and re-roll her as pure cleric. I have a lvl 2 sorcerer already as my second character.

To be honest Roku I really had no definate plan with this particular character when i started. I just started playing DnD last weekend for the first time. i had already rolled a sorcerer to lvl 2. this time i knew i wanted a self healing melee fighter. i thought a couple sorcerer spells thrown in would be nice since she was already pretty good at melee and healing, even at lvl 2. since i alreadsy played my lvl 2 sorc i knew she had a couple really nice long range nukes even at lvl 2. not knowing what i was doing i thought i could incorporate them by crosstraining into sorc. i didn't realize my mistake until i went running off into the wilderness and got a lovely 'FAIL' message when i tried to cast a spell.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

If you wish to have a self healing melee build, A battle cleric CAN do ok, but when it comes to later game, compared to a pure cleric(or a split, or a fvs, etc) your battlecleric won't be much loved in groups.

But, if you have monk, you might want to look at 12/8, 17/3 splits. (The 12/8 would use handwraps and fight inside his own aura with heal amp, the 17/3 can use wraps or any stick/kama and is mostly a healer/battlecaster type who uses the monk levels for a stance to increase his wisdom)

But all in all, as a new player, my best suggestion to you would be GO PURE. Don't multi, because in DDO multi classing(as said above) takes a LOT of planning ahead, and a single mistake WILL cost u(Either in TP to 'fix' the build with a heart, or time to remake, or just plain headache as you get denied group after group)

Also, as ANY build in ddo. CON IS NOT A DUMP STAT. Always ALWAYS try to get at least 14(12 can do ok) - also do not leave your str below 10, becuase one exaustion and your helpless.

And cha isn't 'THAT' important to a cleric but it DOES decide how well your turns are(crap ability) and turns can be used later as a radiant servent for healing burst(take no sp, uses turns instead) - For a battel caster(IE a cleric who expects to deal massive amounts of damage with his spells) wis is very, very important.

Jst one more warning, early game for clerics, either type, can be brutal. Even as a evoker build, do NOT feel you need to always cast, pick up a sword/axe and use that as your abilities with spells grow. At around 9-10 you will dominate with cometfalls, greater commands, bladebarriers, implosions, divine punishment, etc. (And yes, kickass heals as a side dish)

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

if you want some self heals during battle roll a paladin,  decent fighters with healing spells, course here they are not so over powered then in neverwinter nights.

and my never go over 14 in a score during creation is because like I said a paladin need several status in a good score to be usefull, char for resists and several skills, str for combat, same for con enough wis to cast spells and raise spell points (yeah spell points in a D&D game... ), with a little perk, having 14 in des so I can dual wield later or leaving it with 15 just for dual wield then raise it to 16 to get the other feat for it, course that I do that ever since I started with D&D 2nd edition, and it never really let me down.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Here's a great tool that I highly recommend you use when building characters. This will keep things organized and will allow you to envision your builds more clearly: Character Planner

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help. Since i'm only at lvl 3 with her i'm thinking it might be a good idea to delete this character and re-roll her as pure cleric. I have a lvl 2 sorcerer already as my second character.

To be honest Roku I really had no definate plan with this particular character when i started. I just started playing DnD last weekend for the first time. i had already rolled a sorcerer to lvl 2. this time i knew i wanted a self healing melee fighter. i thought a couple sorcerer spells thrown in would be nice since she was already pretty good at melee and healing, even at lvl 2. since i alreadsy played my lvl 2 sorc i knew she had a couple really nice long range nukes even at lvl 2. not knowing what i was doing i thought i could incorporate them by crosstraining into sorc. i didn't realize my mistake until i went running off into the wilderness and got a lovely 'FAIL' message when i tried to cast a spell.

I would always have a plan when multiclassing. Main reasons being stat and feat choices will be very important to a multiclass to fit in all the ones you want. Since you are new you may need time to get familiar with all the choices in feats that can have a big effect on what your multiclass can be good in.

As a cleric I usually take a fighter level early and then plan around using a heart of wood to remove thwe fighter level when I reacxh a level that melee is no longer important to me(usually level 13 since I will have the cleric PRE in full effect) but that requires you to buy a heart of wood of course. For your first characters I agree with the guy who said stay pure. You will get a great feel for the character class and what it can do before you mix in too many multiclass skills that will change your abilities. But both pure and multiclass can be strong and great fun to play.