Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about crafting and economy.

2»

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Gdemami

Slim and petite body, pointed ears...not en elf?

Turban or feline based, both are animal based characters and in that regard, Charr are art wise way closer to Taurens than what is usually portrayed as feline attributes - slim, agile, wit and nimbleness. Last time I checked our tomcat, he has no horns either.

Are you sure it is a kitty?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Charr_09_concept_art.jpg

The lore will differ, however when it comes to art, even GW falls into common stereotypes of races. Not saying it is a big deal but it would be silly to deny the resemblance.

Here's a video on how they envision the Silvari. I suppose that in their first incarnation they started as elf-like creatures, but the final result is far from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCvtzg90RtA

As for the charr, if I had to give any reference, I'd say he's an oversized kobold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06xYQF2szo

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by tazarconan

Since GW2 is build on the concept that gear aint affecting stats at least not in the way it happens in the rest mmorpg's money economy crafting is doomed only to be around for cosmetic reasons.

In fact money have no value here since there is no point to gather money since u cant enchant gear,or go buy x uber item or gems to further improve it,therefore crafting and the whole economy system are  shallow or someone could say it does not even exist.

Well this is basicly same on most games, crafting without decay is pretty useless in long run. Same problem with item modifications. Surely pots, food buffs and that stuff is still there since this is what economy in most MMOs is nowdays. Still this is more shallow than most big MMOs offer.

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

Since GW2 is build on the concept that gear aint affecting stats at least not in the way it happens in the rest mmorpg's money economy crafting is doomed only to be around for cosmetic reasons.

In fact money have no value here since there is no point to gather money since u cant enchant gear,or go buy x uber item or gems to further improve it,therefore crafting and the whole economy system are  shallow or someone could say it does not even exist.

Yeah, because you can't have economy that 's built on cosmetic values. I mean, gold (foundation of so many economies) was clearly always valued because of it's usefuleness, not looks and rarity.

Usefulness has nothing to do with depth of economy. Nothing. There are dozens of real world markets built on vanity that prove that.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

I think GWI has proven that quite wrong

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by Findariel

We already got elves (sylvari), gnomes (asura) and tauren (charr). Now armour tokens from dungeons? Max 2 crafting professions that can be switched?

A bit disapppointing that it looks like a lot of GW2's content and game mechanics are going to be shameless WoW copies. I expected something more original from ANet.

Sylvari are not Elves, (they are sentient plants that have been born into a humanoid form and have nothing to do with Elves, in form or culture). Asura are, yes, gnome-like, but with bite. Charr are not Tauren, (they are cat-like Humanoids spearheading the industrial revolution on Tyria, with a society similar to Earth's Ancient Rome. Yeah, that sounds just like Shamanistic cows...)

Armor Tokens are earned at a rate of one per dungeon run per player and traded in on Armor unique to that dungeon at a cost of one token for one piece of armor. This is not an endless token grind like some other games. It's just a way of every player getting something they want/need on each run.

You can have two active crafting professions at a time, but you can switch active crafting professions with out losing your progress and recipes with the inactive ones. (There is a cost for the switch, but it still gives players much more flexibility than "that other game).

The game has redesigned the MMORPG from the ground up. You might want to do more research before making statements that some may decide reflect poorly on you, your knowledge and your motives. (I have the impression you might just be having a bad day, if so, I hope tomorrow will be better for you).

But you have to admit that the resemblances are far bigger than the minor differences in detail. Two crafting professions, not 1 or 3 or all. You can can even switch between them like in WoW. There mere idea of armor tokens is very WoWish, remember we used to have rare crafting materials in GW1. If you have played other games like EVE or even WAR you'll notice that GW2 is going to be a lot more like WoW than GW1 was.

I'm not saying it's bad. I loved GW1 and I'll probably love GW2 as well (even though I'll miss the secondary professions), but what I've seen and read thus far it's not really what I'd call of an overwhelming originality. I actually love elves (Silvan Elves are actually a kind of wood elves, one of Tolkien's original elven races from the Silmarillion) and I missed them in GW1. Like the Auction House, trading in GW1 was extremely annoying, I'm very glad we'll have that. Let's just not pretend it's something completely different.

And yes, I hated gnomes and I still think it's very silly that in a very similar fashion the Asura warriors will have more strength than your Charr caster.

Turban or feline based, both are animal based characters and in that regard, Charr are art wise way closer to Taurens than what is usually portrayed as feline attributes - slim, agile, wit and nimbleness. Last time I checked our tomcat, he has no horns either. Are you sure it is a kitty?

The lore will differ, however when it comes to art, even GW falls into common stereotypes of races. Not saying it is a big deal but it would be silly to deny the resemblance.

Exactly. It's pretty obvious.

Again: let's not deny the facts, I'm not saying it's bad, I just expected something more original from ANet after the secondary professions, instanced storyline, strategic minimap and WoTC trading cards like skills of GW1. It looks like they've really taken the safe and proven route, except for the lack of dedicated healers. And I'm very happy mesmers are back! :-)

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by rdash

Yeah, because you can't have economy that 's built on cosmetic values. I mean, gold (foundation of so many economies) was clearly always valued because of it's usefuleness, not looks and rarity.

Usefulness has nothing to do with depth of economy. Nothing. There are dozens of real world markets built on vanity that prove that.

Hmm you are implying ppl will gather gold just so they can buy x armour just because it looks pretier but with same stats than their current armour?

Hmm you are implying ppl will gather gold just so they can buy x armour just because it looks pretier but with same stats than their current armour?

Didn't we all do that in GW1? 15k or FoW armor - same stats but wayyy prettier! :D

But seriously: one of GW1's best features was that player skill and teamwork mattered, not gear stats. I hope and pray GW2 will be the same.

Originally posted by Kwintpod

Dude the only ppl i ever witnessed playing guild wars 1 were couple kids in a net just because they couldnt afford a sub for L2 or wow or eve or aoc or whatever else is out there. The fact that a numbe rof ppl played that worldwide aint sying it had a succesfull economy. And by the way what were the values of economy system that proved wrong what?

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

Yes, because they already do it in real world. Unthinkable amounts of money are spend on vanity every day. Gold, one of the most precious materials, is valuable mostly because it's pretty and rare. Your theory that only useful goods create economies has no foundation in reality.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

During my time in TOR, I can say that statless armor I made sold better and at higher prices, for those pieces that looked cool, than anything with stats that looked lame. In LotRO, same thing. In demand cosmetic items sell for more than stat armor you can craft at the same crafting level. People even pay real cash in the cash shop for cosmetic armors. Once again, same goes for Aion, where armor of rare fashion sells for a ton of currency.

So, yes, people will indeed pay currency for a look they like.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by fiontar

We already got elves (sylvari), gnomes (asura) and tauren (charr). Now armour tokens from dungeons? Max 2 crafting professions that can be switched?

A bit disapppointing that it looks like a lot of GW2's content and game mechanics are going to be shameless WoW copies. I expected something more original from ANet.

Sylvari are not Elves, (they are sentient plants that have been born into a humanoid form and have nothing to do with Elves, in form or culture). Asura are, yes, gnome-like, but with bite. Charr are not Tauren, (they are cat-like Humanoids spearheading the industrial revolution on Tyria, with a society similar to Earth's Ancient Rome. Yeah, that sounds just like Shamanistic cows...)

Armor Tokens are earned at a rate of one per dungeon run per player and traded in on Armor unique to that dungeon at a cost of one token for one piece of armor. This is not an endless token grind like some other games. It's just a way of every player getting something they want/need on each run.

You can have two active crafting professions at a time, but you can switch active crafting professions with out losing your progress and recipes with the inactive ones. (There is a cost for the switch, but it still gives players much more flexibility than "that other game).

The game has redesigned the MMORPG from the ground up. You might want to do more research before making statements that some may decide reflect poorly on you, your knowledge and your motives. (I have the impression you might just be having a bad day, if so, I hope tomorrow will be better for you).

But you have to admit that the resemblances are far bigger than the minor differences in detail. Two crafting professions, not 1 or 3 or all. You can can even switch between them like in WoW. There mere idea of armor tokens is very WoWish, remember we used to have rare crafting materials in GW1. If you have played other games like EVE or even WAR you'll notice that GW2 is going to be a lot more like WoW than GW1 was.

I'm not saying it's bad. I loved GW1 and I'll probably love GW2 as well (even though I'll miss the secondary professions), but what I've seen and read thus far it's not really what I'd call of an overwhelming originality. I actually love elves (Silvan Elves are actually a kind of wood elves, one of Tolkien's original elven races from the Silmarillion) and I missed them in GW1. Like the Auction House, trading in GW1 was extremely annoying, I'm very glad we'll have that. Let's just not pretend it's something completely different.

And yes, I hated gnomes and I still think it's very silly that in a very similar fashion the Asura warriors will have more strength than your Charr caster.

Turban or feline based, both are animal based characters and in that regard, Charr are art wise way closer to Taurens than what is usually portrayed as feline attributes - slim, agile, wit and nimbleness. Last time I checked our tomcat, he has no horns either. Are you sure it is a kitty?

Exactly. It's pretty obvious.

Again: let's not deny the facts, I'm not saying it's bad, I just expected something more original from ANet after the secondary professions, instanced storyline, strategic minimap and WoTC trading cards like skills of GW1. It looks like they've really taken the safe and proven route, except for the lack of dedicated healers. And I'm very happy mesmers are back! :-)

Like most MMOs, available races address archetypes that people wish to play.

Will Sylvari appeal to people who are drawn to elf like races? In many cases, yes. However, they are clearly not elves. I can't think of any other playable RPG race that is a sentient plant born from a tree, or a member of a race that has only existed, as a race, for a few decades.

Will Charr appeal to players of Tauren, Orcs and Wargen? In many cases, yes, but they are not Tauren, or any of the others. Tauren have a pair of horns, because they are cow-like humanoids. Very derivative of Minotaurs. They have hoofs and the eyes and teeth of an omnivore. Charr are ferocious beasts. Their heads and markings are catlike, their claws wicked and their fangs vicious. Their six horns are much more evocative of demonic beings than pastural cows. Any thoughts that they are anything like Taurens will fly right out the window the moment you set foot in one of their cities. Oh and they ran around on all fours long before Worgen appeared as a playable race.

Will the Asura appeal to players of Gnomes in other games? In many cases, yes, but Asura are not Gnomes. Gnomes are stuby limbed men with big heads that love to tinker. Asura? Certainly not just little men. Are they even mammals? It's not certain to look at them. They have a technology, of a sort, but it's not a technology of mechanics, but rather deep magics. A gnome swinging around a sword may send some into fits of laughter. An Asura standing before you with a wicked blade, a wicked grin and a wicked look in those very alien eyes? That's the stuff of nightmares.

Humans. Well, we all know humans. Many people want to play a character they can relate to, or even one that represents an idealized version of what they wish they could be IRL. At least in GW2, the Humans of Tyria are not the dominant and most common race inhabiting the lands. They are a race on the virge of extinction, which gives them a different air.

The Norn. They will probably appeal to many players who don't often find a proper expression of the character type they wish to play. They are big. They are primitive. They are animalistic. They can turn into a beast, but they still have a form that is human. Well, a very large human. How many Orcs, Tauren, Trolls and Worgen were players just settling for the most acceptable alternative to the scrawny, cultured Humans of Azeroth? Many of those players may find that Norn is what they have really been wanting to play all along.

Does GW2 address familiar Archetypes? Indeed. There is a reason they are called Archetypes. However, the races are not and have never been an imitation of WoW or any other game.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Dude the only ppl i ever witnessed playing guild wars 1 were couple kids in a net just because they couldnt afford a sub for L2 or wow or eve or aoc or whatever else is out there. The fact that a numbe rof ppl played that worldwide aint sying it had a succesfull economy. And by the way what were the values of economy system that proved wrong what?

The B2P/ P2P comparisson is completely irrelevant.

The economy in GW I is very active, I would tell you to go to Kamadan to prove my point but it's obvious you don't even play the game so that's impossible.

Keep on whining about games you don't play.

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

Just about every girl I've ever gamed with would do that. People could probably make a fortune just crafting cosmetic items for girls.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Lets go into the real world for a bit, how many people buy expensive clothes? For example a T shirt or jeans, how many people buy expensive brands? Are they more usefull than a cheaper one with the same or even better quality? Nope, but people still buy it because it looks good and make them feel good about what they are wearing. 

Saying that GW2 has no economy because it does not have gear threadmill is fucking stupid. Even if you won't buy gear for looks you will still have to buy many sets of gear for different builds> Tanky/Full DPS/Hybrid etc. Pretty sure runes or what they are called will be pretty expensive as well. 

And why do you even want gear that makes you more powerfull? This is a SKILL based game, not HOURS SPENT IN GAME that make you beat your opponent. I guess this game is for either competitive players/RP/or just laid back PvE people that want to play for fun. 

Do we need you guys that thinks grinding for gear that makes you more powerfull so you can go 2 shot some noobs? Nope, go back to your threadmill MMO. 

Originally posted by andre369

Lets go into the real world for a bit, how many people buy expensive clothes? For example a T shirt or jeans, how many people buy expensive brands? Are they more usefull than a cheaper one with the same or even better quality? Nope, but people still buy it because it looks good and make them feel good about what they are wearing. 

Saying that GW2 has no economy because it does not have gear threadmill is fucking stupid. Even if you won't buy gear for looks you will still have to buy many sets of gear for different builds> Tanky/Full DPS/Hybrid etc. Pretty sure runes or what they are called will be pretty expensive as well. 

And why do you even want gear that makes you more powerfull? This is a SKILL based game, not HOURS SPENT IN GAME that make you beat your opponent. I guess this game is for either competitive players/RP/or just laid back PvE people that want to play for fun. 

Do we need you guys that thinks grinding for gear that makes you more powerfull so you can go 2 shot some noobs? Nope, go back to your threadmill MMO. 

Agreed 100%

If there´s one thing Guild Wars 1 has proven it´s that people do care for cosmetics, and not just the girls. I´ve done countless FoW runs for people who had gathered materials for their FoW set and I was very happy with mine. While the same stats could be acquired by just getting 1.5k or collector´s sets.

I also absolutely loved the fact that GW wasn´t a gear threadmill game but at last!! a revolutionary one that first and foremost emphasized teamwork and player skill. And it worked, so many people that loved it and played the game! I sincerely hope GW2 will be the same. Apparently MMORPGs don´t need a gear grind to be popular or succesful. Let´s keep it that way.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by andre369

Agreed 100%

If there´s one thing Guild Wars 1 has proven it´s that people do care for cosmetics, and not just the girls. I´ve done countless FoW runs for people who had gathered materials for their FoW set and I was very happy with mine. While the same stats could be acquired by just getting 1.5k or collector´s sets.

I also absolutely loved the fact that GW wasn´t a gear threadmill game but at last!! a revolutionary one that first and foremost emphasized teamwork and player skill. And it worked, so many people that loved it and played the game! I sincerely hope GW2 will be the same. Apparently MMORPGs don´t need a gear grind to be popular or succesful. Let´s keep it that way.

Not just GW,look at lotro,it has the best cosmetics system of any mmo to date imo.Cosmetics is a very large part of the game,any bit of armor can be dyed.The cloaks in lotro are the best cloaks you have ever seen in an mmo as well,from basic to thick sable winter cloaks with hoods.

The economy in GW I is very active, I would tell you to go to Kamadan to prove my point but it's obvious you don't even play the game so that's impossible.

How s that irrelevant? Anyway i asked a specific question but got no answer. What are the values and the ideas of GW1 Economy system,the whole economy concept system that made it a succesfulll one?

And by the way i dont whine about gw1 it was a boring mmorpg but i DO care about what will happen to GW2 cause it is a potential buy.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Loud noises!!!!

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

How s that irrelevant? Anyway i asked a specific question but got no answer. What are the values and the ideas of GW1 Economy system,the whole economy concept system that made it a succesfulll one?

And by the way i dont whine about gw1 it was a boring mmorpg but i DO care about what will happen to GW2 cause it is a potential buy.

Guild wars has horizontal gear improvement.  And it is irrelevant because people dont play GW just because its B2P.  Thats like saying the only reason people drink Coke is because its cheaper than wine.  Some people just like Coke more.  And in GW1 there is still many uses for money.  All gear may be the same in stats, but its certainly not the same in value.  There are max stat armors that are very cheap to get, but then there are very expensive sets of gear that people buy to show prestige.  There are also all sorts of titles, weapons, and mini pets to get that all take money.  I'd say there is way more use for money in GW1 than in WoW.  And boring to you.  It seems like you are whining and think that because you didn't like it means that it was a bad game all around.

Why isn't it irrelevant?

The concept of GW I's economy is that of suply and demand(like every economy) and it's succesfull because there's a lot of it

"I'm not whining about GW I" "it was a boring mmorpg"

lol

The concept of GW I's economy is that of suply and demand(like every economy) and it's succesfull because there's a lot of it

Well i wasn't very happy with the economy part in GW1, especially the trade channel in Kryta, it was very frustrating. We didn't even have a mailbox or Auction House, the economy wasn't exactly GW1's best asset.

At least it's someting to easily improve upon ;)

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Like others have said, horizontal progression works fine. Think of collectibles, vanity items, achievements... It's tried and true, and offers much more freedom. Maybe it's not for everyone, but the same goes for vertical progression. To each his own.

Hype train -> Reality

Well i wasn't very happy with the economy part in GW1, especially the trade channel in Kryta, it was very frustrating. We didn't even have a mailbox or Auction House, the economy wasn't exactly GW1's best asset.

At least it's someting to easily improve upon ;)

I agree with you on that point and I'm glad we're getting an AH in GW 2, but he was arguing that there simply was simply no economy