Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My predictions...

Comments

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by Valua

Innovation is not invention.

Creating the radio is an invention.  Creating a car is an invention.  Putting a radio in a car for the first time is an innovation.

So tired of people quibbling about what constitutes innovation or thinking that something has to be 100% new in order to count.  Take the downed state from Borderlands, tweak it and put it in an MMO for the first time, that's an innovation.

Dynamic events have never been done before.  They're an evolution on PQs from WAR, but they innovate by making them the focus of the open world content instead of a sideshow, making them chain in different directions on success/failure, making them chain in space to new areas, making them trigger off a variety of different things, and being fully cooperative.  They're a truly amazing concept for MMOs.

Honestly, I don't even think this game is overhyped at all.  To me, if GW2 was just dynamic events, B2P, a "massive" amount of content (said to be bigger than all of GW1 combined, including expansions) and waiting until its totally finished before releasing it, that right there is a 10.  Everything else (and there's a lot) is just icing on the cake.

Dictionary definition - something new or different introduced

Nothing new has been introduced with Guild Wars 2.

Guys, you shouldn't bother because no matter how well you form your opinion and how valid it may seem. Valua will simply debunk it with some blanket statement. Valua is the kind of individual that cannot be swayed by and his/her opinion will remain that "GW2 is the same as every other MMORPG that came before it and will fail because no game has proven otherwise", even if GW2 ends up becoming quite the opposite.

You're opinion on me is a biased uneducated one. 

I didn't say the game was like every other game, I called it revolutionary.

I didn't say it would fail either, not once.

You must have read what I said wrongly.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

1.) This game will recieve more bashing than any other MMO in the history of the genre. It will have more people raging than Vanguard. It will have more haters than World of Warcraft. Why? Because it will not live up to the hype, it simply cannot, no game can. 

2.) People will regret calling it "innovative," again simply because it is not. All the things that this game is said to have have been done before, maybe on a smaller scale, but still done before. Therefore it is not innovative. 

3.) The game will be good, not gods gift to the world, but good. It will have a strong player base, just not as large as what some people are predicting (more than World of Warcraft, really? No. It will do as well as Guild Wars 1, maybe a little better.)

I'm not bashing the game at all, I think it will be very good. But I'm pissed off with every single MMO being compared with it right now, the game isn't even released yet, you cannot compare a game to something you've never played. Yes, you've seen the videos, but I also saw videos of Age of Conan/Vanguard which made those games look like the second coming. 

To conclude, you can't compare, or rate, a game you've never played (or only played an hour of.) I realise that this website is mostly full with Guild Wars 2 fantatics, but seriously, wait until the game is about before bashing another game or because it is not as good as Guild Wars 2 (which is an invalid opinion as you do not know.) 

These are my predictions, my opinions. Free of biased reviewing. Rant over.

Im gona adress two things in what you are saying.

The first one is the word innovative. I think i said this once in a SWTOR thread. Words have varying definitions around the wolrd and languages. They also can be interpreted in different ways by different people. So you are in your whole right to think it is not innovative because the definition your taking conflicts with what other people consider the definition to be.

But no one who thinks is innovative is gona regret calling it that the same way swtor players who consider it innovative dont regret it either.

The second thing is that i think your not reading what people are saying when they compare other games to GW2

When they compare GW2 to other themeparks games they are not comparing the games per se but more their philosophies behind the actions they are taking to diferentiate their game from the norm. In other words GW2 can fail but their philosophy wont stop being the one some people are asking for.

PS: This is how you make an unbiased opinion.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by austriacus

The second thing is that i think your not reading what people are saying when they compare other games to GW2

When they compare GW2 to other themeparks games they are not comparing the games per se but more their philosophies behind the actions they are taking to diferentiate their game from the norm. In other words GW2 can fail but their philosophy wont stop being the one some people are asking for.

I also said that, but he either ignored me because no way to refute it, or because I didn't quote him and add to the spam, so he didn't know I was talking to him.

... anyway, high five!  I agree! :D

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

I find it quite sad how often that people like the OP feel the need, the compulsion, to come on the GW2 forums and berate the game and its community because some other games failed them in some way. People who follow GW2 don't refer to it as the "2nd Coming" only you do, you who feels so threathened by the game's existence that you have to make a thread like this. It will be those people that will try their hardest to bash the game upon release, which is why once the game is released I won't even waste my time on these forums for a while. Even if the game lives up to the majority of people expectations, it will be people like the OP and fans of other games that will openly bash GW2, even when there won't be much to bash it for.

^This

• benbizzbenbizz Member Posts: 43

I find it quite sad how often that people like the OP feel the need, the compulsion, to come on the GW2 forums and berate the game and its community because some other games failed them in some way. People who follow GW2 don't refer to it as the "2nd Coming" only you do, you who feels so threathened by the game's existence that you have to make a thread like this. It will be those people that will try their hardest to bash the game upon release, which is why once the game is released I won't even waste my time on these forums for a while. Even if the game lives up to the majority of people expectations, it will be people like the OP and fans of other games that will openly bash GW2, even when there won't be much to bash it for.

On a more general note, I find it sad that people like the OP first off, think they have an original, mind blowing idea to bring to the table when, lets face it, those 3 topics have been brought up numerous times. Secondly, what credentials does the OP hold to make the rest of the community even slightly interested in "his predictions" of the future?

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

First off it is refreshing to see a civil thread on this site.

Second I agree with alot of you on the problem that some players exhibit overhyping a game in their mind only to result in eventual disappointment.

I currently play SWTOR and have played every major to medium MMO since Meridian 59.  I also look forward to GW2 and PS2 since I love open world pvp.  I am giving Bioware a chance to fix their current open world pvp.  What I know about PS (original) and have read about GW2 I look forward to moving to these titles to get my open world pvp fix.

I believe GW2 will do slightly better than the first.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Another SWTOR player woke up, smelled the coffee and got angry?

Christ, Neo's awakening in the Matrix looked like less of a mindfuck.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by benbizz

On a more general note, I find it sad that people like the OP first off, think they have an original, mind blowing idea to bring to the table when, lets face it, those 3 topics have been brought up numerous times. Secondly, what credentials does the OP hold to make the rest of the community even slightly interested in "his predictions" of the future?

I will only start caring about these "so-called predictions", fans & haters alike come up with; if their crystal ball can predict when I'll next take a dump, to the very minute. Seeing how that is not the case... I can't even be bother to finish this sentence.

In the end, all that matters is whether I will enjoy the game or not, rather than whether the Messiah of MMO gaming will descend from the heavens, at 1Mb/s, to save us from our meager existence.

I also said that, but he either ignored me because no way to refute it, or because I didn't quote him and add to the spam, so he didn't know I was talking to him.

Actually I did click the link you provided earlier, and I quite enjoyed reading it. 

The only problem was, I didn't agree with most of it. What you called Innovation on that post was not innovation, therefore I disagreed with a lot you said there.

But I still enjoyed it and found even more things to look forward to, even if they aren't innovative.

I will only start caring about these "so-called predictions", fans & haters alike come up with; if their crystal ball can predict when I'll next take a dump, to the very minute. Seeing how that is not the case... I can't even be bother to finish this sentence.

In the end, all that matters is whether I will enjoy the game or not, rather than whether the Messiah of MMO gaming will descend from the heavens, at 1Mb/s, to save us from our meager existence.

Don't read "predictions" if you don't care for them.

Your comment revealed that you live under a bridge, troll.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Actually I did click the link you provided earlier, and I quite enjoyed reading it. 

The only problem was, I didn't agree with most of it. What you called Innovation on that post was not innovation, therefore I disagreed with a lot you said there.

But I still enjoyed it and found even more things to look forward to, even if they aren't innovative.

Your post further proves what i said earlier. People define words differently.

You can keep saying things he describes not to be innovative but yet he thinks they are.

Basically making you and the people trying to explain their viewpoint to you go in circles.

How do you define "troll"? Because you seem well-versed in coming up with definitions to suit your arguement (i.e. Innovation), so in your point of view, what makes me a "troll"?

Your post further proves what i said earlier. People define words differently.

You can keep saying things he describes not to be innovative but yet he thinks they are.

Basically making you and the people trying to explain their viewpoint to you go in circles.

Okay, I agree with this. 

I can feel myself going in circles and it's starting to bore me. 

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

1.) This game will recieve more bashing than any other MMO in the history of the genre. It will have more people raging than Vanguard. It will have more haters than World of Warcraft. Why? Because it will not live up to the hype, it simply cannot, no game can. 

2.) People will regret calling it "innovative," again simply because it is not. All the things that this game is said to have have been done before, maybe on a smaller scale, but still done before. Therefore it is not innovative. 

3.) The game will be good, not gods gift to the world, but good. It will have a strong player base, just not as large as what some people are predicting (more than World of Warcraft, really? No. It will do as well as Guild Wars 1, maybe a little better.)

So a game is bad if it doesn't live up to the hype fans are creating for it, it doesn't fit YOUR definition of innovative content and because it won't be as big as WoW?

Wow, your predictions are truly founded on a solid base. Look at the game for what it is, not what you want it not to be.

BTW: Using your defintion of innovation, Apple isn't innovating either and they are arguebly to most innovative force in the industry.

How do you define "troll"? Because you seem well-versed in coming up with definitions to suit your arguement (i.e. Innovation), so in your point of view, what makes me a "troll"?

You're a troll for purposely coming here to bash me.

Begone troll, I have no time for you or your trollish ways. 

So a game is bad if it doesn't live up to the hype fans are creating for it, it doesn't fit YOUR definition of innovative content and because it won't be as big as WoW?

Wow, your predictions are truly founded on a solid base. Look at the game for what it is, not what you want it not to be.

BTW: Using your defintion of innovation, Apple isn't innovating either and they are arguebly to most innovative force in the industry.

I didn't say a game is bad because it doesn't live up to its expectations, not even once.

The deffinition of inovation isn't my own, but that of the English Dictionary.

Apple is the most revolutionary force in the industry.

Again, I'm going in circles here, clearly the definition of inovation you are using is different to the one I am using. Neither of us can gain anything here.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Ah, so you read the link, but ignored what I said AFTER the link.

I specifically said ignore the part about innovation.  IGNORE it.  We're not going to agree.  That's not the point.

The POINT was specifically pertaining to why people are hyped about the game, and why some people can be down on other games for reasons that aren't actually hype.

I already said I'm not going to do the innovation dance with you (Or anybody else).  That's pretty pointless.  The whole point is bringing up reasons WHY people are interested in the game, and how it's different, and why somebody might go 'I am not interested in this MMO, I am waiting for GW2' and actually have it be a legitimate, non-hype based comment.

Unless you want to argue that GW2 brings nothing different from current MMORPGs, in which case I'm more than willing to dance the night away with you, arguing over whether or not another MMORPG replicates what GW2 looks to be bringing. ;)

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Most of the people saying that Guild Wars 2 is overhyped probably don't even know what the "hype" is they are talking about. And unless they specify what they mean with the word "overhyped" and stop spouting statements devoid of argumentation I will just ignore them into Oblivion. And if you don't know in what way it is overhyped, you can't say it can not live up to its hype.

On the topic of innovation. The features of Guild Wars 2 that are supposed to be innovative can only be considered innovative if they are successfully introduced to the genre. Because as everyone knows, save for the people visiting these forums, innovation= the successful introduction of improved products, services and production techniques.

Because neither a lack of holy trinity nor public quests have been successfully introduced so far it these features can not be called innovative. It's that simple.

Furthermore, as long as Guild Wars 2 is good it will sell more boxes than Guild Wars 1, simply because hype affects initial box sales and as matter of fact, the hype for Guild Wars 1 was extremely low. The original game sold about 400,000 boxes in its first month, that's nothing for your average AAA-title.

You're a troll for purposely coming here to bash me.

Begone troll, I have no time for you or your trollish ways. 

So you insult me by calling me a troll and yet, you're saying I'm bashing you, because I don't believe your crystal ball can even predict when I'll next take a dump, let alone predict the outcome of this highly anticipated title? Usually when people form threads based purely on speculation and their opinions, they have to defend such opinions from people who simple don't agree with them (me in this case), which is why I only create threads here about factual news updates. image

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Another SWTOR player woke up, smelled the coffee and got angry?

Christ, Neo's awakening in the Matrix looked like less of a mindfuck.

That's about the true of it,woke and raged,must be frustrating knowing that your heroes have let you down.From the sad game to the lack of customer support,it's not been great for the swtor faithful.

The OP will play GW2,he wont be able to resist it but he will also forget about his comments and try to slink off and hope no one calls him out.

Ah, so you read the link, but ignored what I said AFTER the link.

I specifically said ignore the part about innovation.  IGNORE it.  We're not going to agree.  That's not the point.

The POINT was specifically pertaining to why people are hyped about the game, and why some people can be down on other games for reasons that aren't actually hype.

I already said I'm not going to do the innovation dance with you (Or anybody else).  That's pretty pointless.  The whole point is bringing up reasons WHY people are interested in the game, and how it's different, and why somebody might go " and actually have it be a legitimate, non-hype based comment.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to look forward to the game.

Instead I am saying that people should not compare a game that they have not played to a game that they have, in any circumstances.

Create your own opinon, not that of another, (or in this case an opinion built on develeper promises, gameplay videos etc) in every apsect of life.

I know there is a lot to look forward to, as is the case with all MMO's before they are released. 

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

yes, there are plenty of hyped idiots here

But the only thing I care is that I know what to expect and what not to expect

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

So you insult me by calling me a troll and yet, you're saying I'm bashing you, because I don't believe your crystal ball can even predict when I'll next take a dump, let alone predict the outcome of this highly anticipated title? Usually when people form threads based purely on speculation and their opinions, they have to defend such opinions from people who simple don't agree with them (me in this case), which is why I only create threads here about factual news updates. image

I'm not insulting you.

Unless it is insulting to call a gay person gay, or a black person black, or a woman a woman.

You, sir, are a troll. 

This discussion has been closed.