Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars TOR - shut's off Servers on a FRIDAY NIGHT! Many Canceled Subs sure to follow.

zWolfzWolf Member Posts: 88

Yup, I couldn't Belive that the Old Republic Shut the servers down on a Friday night... but not for a quick 'off and back on' server reset, oh no! This is the full 'Tuesday type' down for 6 hours off all night, thing.  Seriously!! Can BioWare really be that stupid!!!!! 

I guess it can.  

Now, they have thousands of former fans of the game, that have plotted all week, and wheedled time out of Wife, for some friday night play time with gamer friends. These fans of the game, are suddenly out on their ears, with nothing to do with their Cafeine filled heads, and un-able to fulfill weekend plans with gamer friends, what should they do to show their displeasure?

Why Cancel their subscription of course!  

no real loss, on the fan's side, they get to keep playing durring the time that they paid for, and if BioWare wins them back, then they can re-subscribe at any time, but in the mean time, the fan base can send quite the message by pulling their 'pleged' financial support by un-subscribing.

if BioWare looses several thousand sub's over this 'friday night patch' you can bet that they might try just a bit harder to do their maintenance patches on Tuesday, the way they SAID that they would next time.

anyway, here is my 'cancellation' details that I posted when I cancelled my sub.  Feel free to cut n paste it for yours - and may the force be with you!

--- 

You PLANNED a server maintenance on a Freaking WEEKEND!!!

Seriously?  that is like the most un-professional thing that an MMORPG could possibly do! 

WAY wrong guys, WAY wrong.  I have been planning on playing with friends all week, and you kill the game VOLUNTARILY on a Friday night? 

If the server goes down on a weekend, it should be due to some catastrophic event, Earth Quake, T'sunami, or Zombie Appocalyse, not because you want to install a patch!!! 

I'm so frustrated.  I figure the best way to show my frustration is to pull my funding for a bit.

Next time you want to shut down the servers on a weekend. PLEASE just pick another day! what happened to Tuesdays?  Can't you hit your scheduled maintenance days? 

I don't want to play a game in this state, maybe once you have ironed out the kinks that make you drop service on a prime playing time, I'll come back.

Till then, have fun re-setting servers on a weekend!

once upon a time, 

Jedi zWolf.

---

Thank you,

zWolf -out.

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Go to sleep, dude...

One post is enough...

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

If this is how people cancel subs than SWTOR would have left with one server in US and EU by now.

Stop over reacting and find something to do for 4 hrs. 

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

If someone drops a sub because they need to patch the system on a Friday, then they are obviously 6 years old or younger.  I've played most major MMOs since... I'm not going to say.  However, they all did out of cycle patches, particularly when they were relatively new, in order to get hot fixes in the system.

Nothing new here.  It's a good thing, because they are addressing core problems in a timely manner.  If they didn't do it now, these same people would probably complain that they waited to fix something that they needed to finish some quest or was causing some issue that needed to be fixed.

People need to stop crying wolf.

I self identify as a monkey.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

the OP has a point has to the timing..stupid from bioware..but to cancel your sub over it..thats kind of childish..you should have played vanguard on release..now that was downtime lol.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

If someone drops a sub because they need to patch the system on a Friday, then they are obviously 6 years old or younger.  I've played most major MMOs since... I'm not going to say.  However, they all did out of cycle patches, particularly when they were relatively new, in order to get hot fixes in the system.

Nothing new here.  It's a good thing, because they are addressing core problems in a timely manner.  If they didn't do it now, these same people would probably complain that they waited to fix something that they needed to finish some quest or was causing some issue that needed to be fixed.

People need to stop crying zWolf.

Touched up your post so it is more fitting for the OP.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

We needed another thread on this so badly because?

Because you couldn't be bothered to add it to the pre-existing rant thread.

I know it's annoying, but this is common-ground for MMO's, that there is no patch notes around seems to me to indicate it was more an "emergency patch" to fix some terrible exploit or other game-breking issue which we may or may not get to hear about later on.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

To be honest, I think they would take one look at your reasoning and be thankful you are quitting. Maybe when writing next time, try to be more mature and maybe they will take notice.

This isn't a flame or anything, just some helpfull advice which I hope you accept as it will help you in the future on your road to adulthood.

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

WHAAAA WHAAA WHAAAA. Thats all i ever see. The game is terrible Whaaaa. They took servers down to adress problems people complain about Whaaaaa.  Since when did the mmo community become such baby's. Maybe it's always been this way and i never knew b/c i was having to much fun playing the game.  Yesterday a group of us lvl 12-20' s took down the World Boss SD-0. and it was awesome! The game will only get better and if they have to take down the servers in the middle of the night to do it then great. They could of taken them down midafternoon on saturday instead.  Stop your crying cancel if your going to. Your prolly the same guy who rage quits pvp. 

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Friday is one of the least popular days for playing MMOs (hence why no one raids on fridays).  They also shut down servers at around 12AM Pacific time... that means the majority of their playbase is sleeping or partying.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

You know... There is already two threads about this very topic going around this forum. Did you really need to make another one?

Are there no rules about posting the same topic over and over? Just wondering.

As for the patch... if its just to fix another exploit in Ilum and the people abusing it arent punished this time around then yea that will be shitty. Having weekend maintenance for an area of the game all the players arent even in sucks.. As far as unplanned patches go if there a game breaking issues that cant wait til Tuesday to prevent people from getting unfair advantages so be it. There are constantly patches and updates released with games just being out a month. An occasional unplanned patch isnt enough for me to cancel my sub. I got a few grand worth of games to play behind and infront of me with ps3 and Steam/Pc so i wont let a 4 hour patch be the death of a game to me.

• zWolfzWolf Member Posts: 88

If someone drops a sub because they need to patch the system on a Friday, then they are obviously 6 years old or younger.

Hmph! you are WAY off, I'm 8! 

:-P that said, seriously? C'mon think back to UO, EQ, Earth and Beyond, SWG, WoW, AC, and even ATITD ... All of those games at least Tried REALLY hard to be up on Weekends.  That BioWare Decided to do a 4 to 6 hour patch on a weekend, with out that game being practically dead, speaks of a lack of understanding of the basic tenants of online gaming, one of which is:

'do your patches during low activity times'   - these day's most of the community is accustomed  to a Tuesday patch and they plan their play time around that. 

I'm not saying that any of those previously listed games, never had a weekend night down, that would be false, but I honestly can't recall any of them 'planning' on a Friday nights worth of down time.

and if they WERE down all night on a Friday, you had CS people in the Forums, communicating with the fans, giving  updates on the ‘projected time the servers would be up’ every 15 to 45 minutes they would be telling the fan base what the progress was and such. where as with TOR, they aren’t even making the effort -  just a ‘we’ll be back in 4 to 6 hours’ and then they just turned off the ability for their Fans to even communicate  their displeasure with them.

I respect your Fanhood, my 'un-sub' is purely symbolic in nature, It’s true, I'll be back, before the sub runs out, for sure.  But, don't let  the fact that you love the game, blind you to the fact that cutting service on a Friday night, is inconvenient and something that ought to be avoided if at all possible. This ‘down time’ doesn’t seem like it’s due to any critical failure of hardware, or major glitch in the software, it comes off looking like Friday night was the most  convenient time for someone at BioWare, and;

‘Fans be damned!’

I just figure that the  best way for me to show my 'disproval' is to 'uncheck' the box that says 'you can automatically take my money next month'.  

I think that if enough people do that, that BioWare will keep Weekend Down time to server restarts in the most extreme of situations.  That is really all my cancellation is about, and if they don't and continue to cut service on Friday night?  am I 'really' going to give up playing such a fun game over that? nope.  I'll be paying for what I can get (at least till GW2 or D3 comes out.) 

so, ya this is just my way of hoping to improve the game I love.  but, I realize that my ‘attack’ does sort of strike at the heart of a true fan, so hate away, I have come to realize that threatening the pocket book of a corporation  is the very best way to get your concern listened too, and my concern is that I'd prefer to be PLAYING on Friday night, rather than Ranting on Friday night.. but if I can't play, I might as well rant about it.

zWolf -out.

Thank you,

zWolf -out.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

SWTOR is a new game, and they'll have to do unscheduled patches and have unscheduled maintenances. Unfortunately nothing that could be done.

But still it sucks having servers down local time 10.00 - 14.00 on Saturday. Bioware has been having too much downtime besides weekly maintenances lately, and while it's well timed for their US playerbase it's not that well timed for EU playerbase.

This is ur issue. Stop thinking about UO and EQ those days are gone they are not coming back. MMO's are to man stream and in order for them to be sucessfull they need to make its accessable to everyone. Once you stop looking at the past and embrace the present then you will really enjoy the "modern" mmo

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by zWolf

If someone drops a sub because they need to patch the system on a Friday, then they are obviously 6 years old or younger.

:-P that said, seriously? C'mon think back to UO, EQ, Earth and Beyond, SWG, WoW, AC, and even ATITD ... All of those games at least Tried REALLY hard to be up on Weekends.  That BioWare Decied to do a 4 to 6 hour patch on a weekend, with out that game being practically dead, speaks of a lack of understanding of the basic tenants of online gaming, one of wich is 'do your patches durring low activity times'   - these day's most of the community is used to a Tuesday patch and plan their weeks around that. 

I'm not saying that any of those previously listed games, never had a weekend night down, that would be falls, but I honestly can't recall any of them 'planning' on a friday nights worth of down time.

and if they WERE down all night on a friday, you had CS people in the Forums, with updates every 15 minutes to 45 mintues telling the fan base what the progress was and such. where as with TOR, they just turned off the abbility for the Fans to even communicated.

I respect your Fanhood, my 'un-sub' is purely sybolic, I'll be back, before it runs out, for sure.  But, don't let your the fact that you love the game, blind you to the fact that cutting service on a Friday night, is inconvenient and something that ought to be avoided.  I just figure that the  best way for me to show my 'disproval' is to 'uncheck' the box that says 'you can automaticly take my money next month'.  

I think that if enough people do that, that BioWare will keep  Weekend Down time to server restarts in the most extream of situations.  That is really all my cancellation is about, and if they don't and continue to cut service on Friday night?  am I 'really' going to give up playing such a fun game over that? nope.  I'll be paying for what I can get (at least till GW2 or D3 comes out.) 

so, ya this is just my way of hoping to improve the game I love.  but, like I said, this does sort of strike at the heart of a true fan, so hate away, I still know that threatening the pocket book of a coorp is the very best way to get your concern listened too, and my concern is that I'd prefer to be PLAYING on friday night, than Ranting on friday night.. but if I can't play, I might as well rant about it.

zWolf -out.

would'nt let bioware see this post you will get perma ban lol for saying your 8.

The should ban him just because he is a moron. 

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

this is the /nerdrageandquit thread of the month; funny some claim their girlfriends are out of town and such, well, that's when you actually get another gf for plan B; geez

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

While I dislike using Xfire, I think it's usuable for this, but I do not really see a peak on the friday. Infact the last monday had 2000 more logged xfire hours then the friday before that. While overall the fridays are more active, it's not a peak or something unlike the saterday and sundays. So really do not see a problem with this, planning on a other day might have been better, but when I play a game, I would prefer to have a patch before the weekend so I can enjoy the new features/bug fixes instead of after the weekend.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by kevjards

Originally posted by zWolf

:-P that said, seriously? C'mon think back to UO, EQ, Earth and Beyond, SWG, WoW, AC, and even ATITD ... All of those games at least Tried REALLY hard to be up on Weekends.  That BioWare Decied to do a 4 to 6 hour patch on a weekend, with out that game being practically dead, speaks of a lack of understanding of the basic tenants of online gaming, one of wich is 'do your patches durring low activity times'   - these day's most of the community is used to a Tuesday patch and plan their weeks around that. 

I'm not saying that any of those previously listed games, never had a weekend night down, that would be falls, but I honestly can't recall any of them 'planning' on a friday nights worth of down time.

and if they WERE down all night on a friday, you had CS people in the Forums, with updates every 15 minutes to 45 mintues telling the fan base what the progress was and such. where as with TOR, they just turned off the abbility for the Fans to even communicated.

I respect your Fanhood, my 'un-sub' is purely sybolic, I'll be back, before it runs out, for sure.  But, don't let your the fact that you love the game, blind you to the fact that cutting service on a Friday night, is inconvenient and something that ought to be avoided.  I just figure that the  best way for me to show my 'disproval' is to 'uncheck' the box that says 'you can automaticly take my money next month'.  

I think that if enough people do that, that BioWare will keep  Weekend Down time to server restarts in the most extream of situations.  That is really all my cancellation is about, and if they don't and continue to cut service on Friday night?  am I 'really' going to give up playing such a fun game over that? nope.  I'll be paying for what I can get (at least till GW2 or D3 comes out.) 

so, ya this is just my way of hoping to improve the game I love.  but, like I said, this does sort of strike at the heart of a true fan, so hate away, I still know that threatening the pocket book of a coorp is the very best way to get your concern listened too, and my concern is that I'd prefer to be PLAYING on friday night, than Ranting on friday night.. but if I can't play, I might as well rant about it.

zWolf -out.

would'nt let bioware see this post you will get perma ban lol for saying your 8.

if they want to bann him, they better get their survers running first :p

lolzor

Originally posted by bossalinie

People need to stop crying zWolf.

Touched up your post so it is more fitting for the OP.

lol, thx.  I didn't even notice his name

• DarkshaderDarkshader Member Posts: 1

I just signed up to the forums to be part of this conversation. I play this game religiously, and also have a full time job. I really had my hopes up for this evening, and finally got time away from the girl to play into the wee hours. Instead, the bring the servers down for 6 hours. Even SWG had the decency to do this at 4am.

I won't be canceling my subscription because I love the game too much, but I am absolutely FURIOUS abut this and will be active in the protest to Bioware over the issue. They should be doing this crap at 5am on Monday or something. Not 12pm on WEST COAST SERVERS.

Grrrrr....

Originally posted by Darkshader

I just signed up to the forums to be part of this conversation. I play this game religiously, and also have a full time job. I really had my hopes up for this evening, and finally got time away from the girl to play into the wee hours. Instead, the bring the servers down for 6 hours. Even SWG had the decency to do this at 4am.

I won't be canceling my subscription because I love the game too much, but I am absolutely FURIOUS abut this and will be active in the protest to Bioware over the issue. They should be doing this crap at 5am on Monday or something. Not 12pm on WEST COAST SERVERS.

Grrrrr....

Yea, I sympathize with you.  I wasn't planning on playing it now because it's my bed time.  But when you can't sleep at 0200, you think... hmmmm, I'll play a little SWTOR.  Sadly not.  I don't get furious or anything, I've got a standby game to fill a little time, but I do appreciate yours and others 'upsetedness;

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by kevjards

the OP has a point has to the timing..stupid from bioware..but to cancel your sub over it..thats kind of childish..you should have played vanguard on release..now that was downtime lol.

Well the times are different. And if they want people to pay monthly for an MMO, they shouldn't be fixing things for 6 hours on a friday evening when they could have easily done it on thursday or wait till the weekend was over. I'm sure they want people to play their game, but this is just shooting themselves in the foot.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

You would have thought that is this day and age you wouold not need 6 hours downtime... Oh actually you don't. Thank god for people like Trion, mostly just 30min downtime even for 1gb+ patches..... :)  Oh and down time is fine wherever you live, I don't even know what time tbh, as I have never once noticed it :)

http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/eu/stats

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/stats

I juts have to say i Sympathize with players of SWTOR, this would really pi$$ me off.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

People need to stop crying wolf.

I agree.  It's very childish.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• xankriegorxankriegor Member UncommonPosts: 49

Unsub because of maintenance on fridays? childish overreaction.

My response was just, "oh? maintenance? oh well, time to play [insert another game here] then". If they need to do an unscheduled maintenance, there might be a very important issue they had to address immediately.

This discussion has been closed.