Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft files lawsuit to thwart TERA launch

13»

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

One thing is sure, the game wont get ditched

Ther worst it can happen is blue hole closing, en masse being assimilated in NCsoft and they taking over the game as it represents potential profit

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

Originally posted by Zefire

Thats all bullshit.

I heard from a guy that tera was  looking better than gw2 especialy in graphics.

So this is clearly a fear from nc soft about their product gw2.

Im not against gw2 but i will not be surprised if gw 2 is nother crap on the list.

Many of us never tried tera nor gw 2 so we dont know witch one will be better.

This one in addition to the words of the guy at gamescom or e3 i dont remember exactly make suspicious of a gw2 fail.

Ncsoft is jsut acting like any mf publisher on this planet.Intimidate people for their own good.

If thats the case i dont want to hear anything from this stupid ncsoft and their fake stupid plans to ruin other companies for their pockets.i hope they fail in all their career.

i loled

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

So how did NC get Tera's artwork that is in the court filing?

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

hey if anything, we should remember the old maxim:

"bad publicity is better than no publicity"

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Malpraktis

Generally with these non-disclosure agreements that companies make their employees sign, I'd say 95% of them are unenforceable.  I think NCSoft will have a very hard time proving that their art was stolen, and this is more likely than not just going to delay the game.  Arbitration or settling of course is a possibility as well.

Before you judge Bluehole Studios, first remember that they are innocent until proven guilty.

They've already been proven guilty in SK court. So, yeah, they're not innocent.

Yep they where found guilty because they stole the code and apparently intended to sell it but it was never proven in court that the code was used to make TERA.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by Ganathar

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Malpraktis

Generally with these non-disclosure agreements that companies make their employees sign, I'd say 95% of them are unenforceable.  I think NCSoft will have a very hard time proving that their art was stolen, and this is more likely than not just going to delay the game.  Arbitration or settling of course is a possibility as well.

Before you judge Bluehole Studios, first remember that they are innocent until proven guilty.

They've already been proven guilty in SK court. So, yeah, they're not innocent.

Yep they where found guilty because they stole the code and apparently intended to sell it but it was never proven in court that the code was used to make TERA.

Yes, I think this is the loophole that lets them continue to move forward.

But I see why they waited to sue in US courts, until there was a firm plan to launch here, no US court would consider it within their jursidiction to act. 

Besides, they saved themselves a couple of years of legal fees.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Zefire

Thats all bullshit.

I heard from a guy that tera was  looking better than gw2 especialy in graphics.

So this is clearly a fear from nc soft about their product gw2.

Im not against gw2 but i will not be surprised if gw 2 is nother crap on the list.

Many of us never tried tera nor gw 2 so we dont know witch one will be better.

This one in addition to the words of the guy at gamescom or e3 i dont remember exactly make suspicious of a gw2 fail.

Ncsoft is jsut acting like any mf publisher on this planet.Intimidate people for their own good.

If thats the case i dont want to hear anything from this stupid ncsoft and their fake stupid plans to ruin other companies for their pockets.i hope they fail in all their career.

Well I heart from a guy that knew a guy that knew another guy that slept with the Anet team that.......you get the point. Kind of silly for you to come up with something like that and then try to cover your ass by saying "oh but uhhhhh we dont know which is better".

You try to hide a nice troll post about how Tera will be so much better than GW2 but in the end failed. I'll give you a tip for your future trolling attempts.  You cant say "Well we really dont know which is better" and then continue to try and attack one game over another. It looks silly.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Short Version:

If you look at just the art then it won't be a big impact, but rather how everything is incorporated into the game. This includes the coding, game engine and its customization, unique physical features, textures, body types, bone/skeletal structure which includes body movement/motion, etc. Let's just talk about races for the moment, and to be more specific lets use the High Elf/Light/Dark Elf for example. While the race itself has quite a bit of variations online, there are some key features that companies use that usually sets them apart from the rest. When you choose a Square Enix Online Elf, and play one in FFXI or FFXIV, you cannot mistake it for other Elves when comparing them to other MMOs. When you choose a NCSoft Elf, and play one in Lineage II or Aion(yes there are no Elves here but with the freedom allowed you can create one with very similar looks) and compare them to what Lineage III was and what TERA Online is, you cannot mistake it for other Elves as well. I am talking specifically about body types, skeletal structure, motion and everything mentioned in the 2nd sentence of this paragraph. (I will go into more detail in the long version answer as well as talk a tiny bit of the F2P MMOs impact).

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Very Long Answer:

As with most fantasy MMOs many use similar types of races, and Elves are definitely up there as one of the more common types. Companies incorporate various popular mythology and use many characteristics such as: "Fair" skin/features, slender and tall, higher cheekbones, longer necks, leaf shaped ears etc.) into their games. I broke it down a bit because I am not going to look through all 550 MMOs. Simply put I am not getting paid for this and it was more of a curiosity than anything else.

I.

There are currently 550 MMOs for the NA/EU market (more or less).

II.

470 of those MMOs are F2P.

III.

45 MMOs are in the $4.99-$9.99 range.

Believe it or not only 4 of those 45 MMOs actually were released past 2007 so most of them, if not all cannot incorporate the level of character detail that Lineage III/TERA Online can so I didn't bother looking any further. Most of these MMOs can be considered 2nd or 3rd rate as far as production/visual quality is concerned. Even the method of payment range is extremely unpopular post 2007.

IV.

35 MMOs are in the $12.00-$15.00 range.

I will be taking a look at these MMOs since both games can be categorized P2P as well as within this price range.

V.

Of the 35 MMOs 4 got cancelled so we won't include those

VI.

The remaining 31 can be broken down into their respective subgenres

Sci-Fi: 6 No Elves

Super Hero: 2 These do have Elves but c'mon

Historical: 2 No Elves

Sports: 1 No Elves

Fantasy: 20 Elves

VII.

Of the 20 Fantasy MMOs we can break it even further to ones that had Elves and ones that did not.

5 have No Elves

Asheron's Call 1999

Ragnarok Online 2002 Ellr: half breeds only

Age of Conan 2008

Aion 2009 No (Although with the freedom of the character creator you could "simulate" one)

Xsyon Earth 2011

15 have Elves

A. Ultima Online 1997

A. Lineage 1998

A. EverQuest 1999

A. Dark Age of Camelot 2001

B. Final Fantasy XI 2002

A. EverQuest Online Adventures 2003

A. Istaria: Chronicles 2003

A. EverQuest II 2004

A. World of Warcraft 2004

C. Lord of the Rings 2007

C. Vanguard 2007

C. Warhammer Online 2008

C. Darkfall 2009

B. Final Fantasy XIV 2010

D. Rift 2011

VIII.

A: Ultima Online, Lineage I, EverQuest I, Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest Online Adventures, Istaria: Chronicles, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft can all be eliminated because technologically speaking it would be impossible for them to reach the level of detail that Lineage III/TERA are capable of and there would be no mistaking between the Elves using the various factors mentioned at the beginning of the post.

B: FFXI and FFXIV can be eliminated because they use their own presets and characteristics.

C: Lord of the Rings, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, Darkfall all follow very rigid rule sets heavily influenced by Tolkien mythology and the Dungeons & Dragons Universe.

D. Rift Elves seem a bit different although it still follows some rule sets. Didn't think could be classified in with the rest.

IX.

When you compare the NCSoft "Elves" the only games that come close from 1997-2011 are Aion/TERA/Lineage III/Lineage II. You cannot mistake these with the other games. To a smaller extent Blade & Soul: The Kun race. Combat is very different of course but looks has some similarities down to the leaf shaped ears to a lesser degree though. Even in their description they use quite a bit from High Elf lore.

Now with F2P models things get into the grey area rather quick. Prior to 2007 China, for the most part, didn't have the capability of creating games to the detail that NCSoft games were able to achieve or even close to the technical detail that Lineage III had envisioned. Of course in more recent years they were able to "acquire" technologies/game engines that allowed them to make leap and bounds strictly speaking in the representation and manipulation of visual image data. Granted not all of the this originates from China but a good portion does with the old saying: Why does China copy everything?

A few examples from various countries are games such as Prius Online and Perfect World and you can see that there are a few similarities. Things are getting much worse in the recent years. A much more drastic similarity would be Legend of Wukong Online. Characters have a very similar feel to Aion/TERA/Blade & Soul down to what seems a close copy of the Elin race and even one of the emotes from the videos. The battle system is said to be "very similar" to Blade & Soul. I think the Chinese were able to open up private servers of the game last year.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

For those who think this is something that just came up, this was a very big deal back in 2007 and people got jail time and fined over it in 2009.   Now if source code was used for TERA have no idea.  Guess we wait and see what happens but this is not and all of the sudden thing between Bluehole and NC Soft.

http://www.1up.com/news/report-lineage-iii-source-code 

Bluehole employees go to jail over theft:

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-12-29/lineage3_code_stolen_issue_ends_tera_to_be_released_as_planned.shtml

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

It would be another sad moment for MMOs, if this game got canned.

Blue Hole vs NCsoft,
    Bethesda vs Mojang,
    Trion vs Rifts...

Sometimes gamers only can lose, no matter which side one prefers.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Even if i hate it, if u read the lawsuit and it looks like it went that way. NCSoft is right about that no matter how bad i wanna play TERA.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Short Version:

If you look at just the art then it won't be a big impact, but rather how everything is incorporated into the game. This includes the coding, game engine and its customization, unique physical features, textures, body types, bone/skeletal structure which includes body movement/motion, etc. Let's just talk about races for the moment, and to be more specific lets use the High Elf/Light/Dark Elf for example. While the race itself has quite a bit of variations online, there are some key features that companies use that usually sets them apart from the rest. When you choose a Square Enix Online Elf, and play one in FFXI or FFXIV, you cannot mistake it for other Elves when comparing them to other MMOs. When you choose a NCSoft Elf, and play one in Lineage II or Aion(yes there are no Elves here but with the freedom allowed you can create one with very similar looks) and compare them to what Lineage III was and what TERA Online is, you cannot mistake it for other Elves as well. I am talking specifically about body types, skeletal structure, motion and everything mentioned in the 2nd sentence of this paragraph. (I will go into more detail in the long version answer as well as talk a tiny bit of the F2P MMOs impact).

I'm inclined to chalk that up to being because it is some of the same devs.  NCSoft obviously paid for some of their specific work, but can they really lay claim to an artist's entire art style?  

Might have been a good idea to shuffle thier ideas a little better, but that'd just be to stay on the safe side.  I'm not sure they're in the wrong for sticking with the style they've been practicing for years, as long as they did change the technical specifics to avoid blatant copyright infringement.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.