Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starwars the old republic (one word) FAIL

1235»

Comments

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

The game is awsome atm, the bugs will be taken care of. When i starded playing WOW it had many bugs lack of features etc... i waited and got an awsome game a few months later ofc, and that will happen to SWTOR, ofc i wont be as forgiven with others games, since neither as the background/history or saga like this 2 games, so they cant ever have the same success, since people want mmos perfect at launch. Only WOW could and SWTOR can atm keep players playing even with bugs and lack of features.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by stayontarget

I remember SW:Tor had such awesome video trailers also. 

Fail...

SWTOR had pathetic in-game trailers from start up and past premiere. In fact the actual pre-beta gameplay trailers from GW2 are wiping the floor even with the PRERENDERED TOR cinematics in terms of epicness, art and quality. I keep saying this for at least 6 months now. Surely you saw no GW2 videos at all, or looked only at the cinematics from TOR, which would be understandable since Bioware was flooding us with these worthless mini-movies that say absolutely 0 about the game. Whenever I see a dev releasing a lot of cinematics, I smell something fishy, a solid game does not need cinematics, because the in-game footage should produce all what's needed. And I was right, took 5 minutes into the beta to realize even my low expectations were too high. The cinematics were just a cover for blandness. That's why it's so important that ArenaNet keeps delivering some of the best MMO trailers with actual in-game footage, some of which blows anything we have ever seen in any game (not just MMO's) out of the water. Just to mention the Shatterer event with the dragon landing on the landscape from the clouds and dwarfing everyting around. And this was on pretty much late alpha stage, not even proper beta since new features are still being added.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Corehaven

Prepare to get a dozen replys about Swtor not being a PvP centric game.  That seems to be the common defence. 

However if they werent going to have decent PVP I say they shouldnt have put it in the game at all.  Do it right or dont do it.  But from what little I played of Swtor, I cant even agree with it being an mmorpg.  It seems unecessary.  And through giving it the mmo treatment its dubbed down far and beyond anything resembling the quality of Mass Effect. 

Its not that Im against an Old Republic mmorpg.  As long as its done right.  This was a poor attempt.  If they had spent a little more of their budget on game design and game play things might have been different.  Voice overs are swell stuff.  But its fluff.  No amount of voice overs is going to make a bad game good.  Someone in charge really should have realized that.

Actually I agree with ya....they shouldnt of put in PVP.

That said, PVE content is perfectly fine. I look forward to watching that aspect grow.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Fail...

SWTOR had pathetic in-game trailers from start up and past premiere. In fact the actual pre-beta gameplay trailers from GW2 are wiping the floor even with the PRERENDERED TOR cinematics in terms of epicness, art and quality. I keep saying this for at least 6 months now. Surely you saw no GW2 videos at all, or looked only at the cinematics from TOR, which would be understandable since Bioware was flooding us with these worthless mini-movies that say absolutely 0 about the game. Whenever I see a dev releasing a lot of cinematics, I smell something fishy, a solid game does not need cinematics, because the in-game footage should produce all what's needed. And I was right, took 5 minutes into the beta to realize even my low expectations were too high. The cinematics were just a cover for blandness. That's why it's so important that ArenaNet keeps delivering some of the best MMO trailers with actual in-game footage, some of which blows anything we have ever seen in any game (not just MMO's) out of the water. Just to mention the Shatterer event with the dragon landing on the landscape from the clouds and dwarfing everyting around. And this was on pretty much late alpha stage, not even proper beta since new features are still being added.

What I find funny is how so many people are clamoring on the quality of the "In Game Video Trailers" for GW2.  Where is your proof?  Someone at Arena saying it was in an interview?  Even if it is, how many people in the general gaming public are going to have a top tier machine capable of playing the game on max settings without suffering from serious frame per second issues?  Those demos that you are clinging too with such vigor, are being shown on machines built for the sole purpose of making the demo look as good as technologically possilble.

As for the people who are bitching because of TORs lack of add-on or third party programming support, why do you need it?  Are you incapable of playing a game without having a macro for every item or action?  Or taking the time to actually remember where someplace or something is?  Is the medication for your ADHD running out and you lack the attention span to actually play the game yourself?  I think it's rediculous that so many people piss and moan about the game being boring or unchallenging then in the same post bitch about the game lacking features that pretty much play the game for you anyhow.  Especially when a lot of these people are the same ones that spent two years claiming that TOR was going to be the godsend of all MMORPGs.

Oh, and to the person who said that EVE was a grindless mmo, you really must have never played the game.  It is the very definition of grind.  It's just ahead of the curve enough to allow you to do a lot of grinding while not actively logged in...as long as you stayed logged out long enough to finish the training/building/mining.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I love all of these threads that simply say the game is a FAIL as if it's a widely accepted and universal opinion.... Why don't posters indicate in the thread title something more along the lines SWTOR is a FAIL for ME because.....

I enjoy the game, I enjoy running flashpoints, I enjoy the companions, I enjoy the crafting system. I enjoy the cutscenes. In my opinion this game brings the best of single player CRPG's and MMO's together in a nice mix... I like this so much that I HOPE beyond HOPE that there is a Dragon Age Online MMORPG, if there were, for the first time ever I'd subscribe to two MMO's.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Clerigo

People saying that a MMORPG doesnt need to be PvP centric always make me image

Sure you can have a highly amount of PvE content to rinse with other players, and it has been a common practice to fill end game content with PvE raids, dungeons, instances, whatever so people can burn the clock hours and hours and hours doing the same thing over and over and over for some gear or whatever...

...but claiming that a genre where the acronym begins with "massive multi-player online" doesnt need to be PvP centric is a bit foolish...

...stating that PvP doesnt need to be as good as PvE content, or at least a big part of an mmo, is mind-blowing...

Why would be that most mmorpgs recent launches always bring 2 or more opposing factions to its design? Why not play with all factions against the cute npcs foes?? Is that not fun....

Nice opinion but I just don't see the universal truth in it.

If you get thousands of people who don't like pvp and who love getting together in a "massive" way and pve'ing together then, um, what's the issue?

Some people only like pvp and some people only like pve. And some in the middle.

Otherwise what you are saying is that you can only imagine something one way and therefore there is no way that anyone can experience it any other way.

And I really doubt you would want to be saying that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Fail...

SWTOR is the most successful MMO post-WoW in the MMO history, end of discussion. 

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Moaky07

Prepare to get a dozen replys about Swtor not being a PvP centric game.  That seems to be the common defence. 

However if they werent going to have decent PVP I say they shouldnt have put it in the game at all.  Do it right or dont do it.  But from what little I played of Swtor, I cant even agree with it being an mmorpg.  It seems unecessary.  And through giving it the mmo treatment its dubbed down far and beyond anything resembling the quality of Mass Effect. 

Its not that Im against an Old Republic mmorpg.  As long as its done right.  This was a poor attempt.  If they had spent a little more of their budget on game design and game play things might have been different.  Voice overs are swell stuff.  But its fluff.  No amount of voice overs is going to make a bad game good.  Someone in charge really should have realized that.

That said, PVE content is perfectly fine. I look forward to watching that aspect grow.

I agree also. A waste of Dev time and BW money. TOR should have been PvE only at least until the second expantion, first being space upgrade.

I really don't understand the moaning about PvP. It's like going on the MO forums and complaining about the PvE aspects. It's not what the focus of the game is. TOR has since its infancy been Story-driven PvE.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by hikaru77

Fail...

SWTOR is the most successful MMO post-WoW in the MMO history, end of discussion. 

since when did < 2 months after release determine the overall success of any MMO?

also AION has couple million subscribers currently.. most in asia but still if we are just comparing numbers here swtor is behind that

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by nowrnvr

[snip]

~ bottom line I'm waiting for guildwars 2 to come out ,  3 realms against each other with objectives and not having to wait for a tank or healer should be a real bonus :) the videos look awesome as well as some awesome classes to play !!!!!

If you haven't already and you are a guild wars 2 enthusiast who hasn't played Rift i would suggest doing so now. Even with the mundanality of the Rifts (which i haven't really experienced but people told me it would happen eventually) this game rocks, I would suggest it to anyone who would like to occupy their time for the next three months in anticipation of GW2 as a precursor because it does provide a tiny prep for what it's like to be in a game that has world events occuring all around you at any given time which i anticipate will be GW2 greatest feature. Sure there is only killing mobs and groups of mobs to close a rift which is slightly different then the options we've seen in videos that GW2 will have in it's zones but i tell you there is something exciting about keeping invading groups out of your area during your leveling process. And the rewards are very nice too. The sub in this game is worth it imo.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by bartoni33

I agree also. A waste of Dev time and BW money. TOR should have been PvE only at least until the second expantion, first being space upgrade.

I really don't understand the moaning about PvP. It's like going on the MO forums and complaining about the PvE aspects. It's not what the focus of the game is. TOR has since its infancy been Story-driven PvE.

A: They heavily advertised their PVP

B: They have a whole team devoted to PVP fixes/additions

C: ANy feature present should be at least decent.

D. the complaints are understandable.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Distopia

[snip]

I agree with Distopia, when a company advertises something in their game they had better deliver or they deserve every word of descent among their customers. It doesn't matter that the game had more adverts about their vo pve system it matters that they advertised both and were a game of both to appeal to a wider gamer audience.

Anyway, people tell me they have patches on their way to fix the problems (even tho i have yet to see anything in any patch notes anywhere online about fixing specific bugs), just dunno how much time it will take them to fixem. If they don't fix them and they leave them alone and they make it worse, THEN people can say that it was just like CRYPTIC when they fist launched STO until then people need to wait at least 1 month for patches to come out to see what happens next. I don't mean sub but i mean reserve judgement until then about the future of the game.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

So basicly extremely linear single player game? Now that's something INCREDIBLE for 200 Million dollars!

Dont defend SWTOR for not having features it should have because devs never promote it...this game OUGHT to have everything with its budget

Oh and even if so..they said the story and the quests are going to be super special awesome...What they delivered to us were fetch quests/activate shiny panel quests and kill-ten-rats quests in VO...I mean WoW has some very original and fun quests in these days: one would except that when they ripped the entire game they would also rip the good parts...hmm ..I guess not - too much work for this new greedy and arrogant bioware...

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Distopia

A: True. They should not have done that.

B: True I guess? Again wasted time/money is wasted.

C: I agree 100%. That is why PvP should not have been in at launch.

D:Honestly don't know about that having not PvPed at all.

First I am not a BW fanboyimage. I know right? BW obviously is in over their heads right now. No UI customazation, Hi-rez was a bug bullshit and the Illium mess proves that. They got off point somewhere. The POINT of TOR was story-driven RPG like their two biggest IP are. They went wrong when they tried to please everyone. They should have stuck with what they know. Now you have people moaning about crap that should not have been in game in the first place. That's all I'm saying.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Since they opted for a strongly linear PvE experience where their story takes center stage over mine, I find it a strange choice to not expand on the areas that do offer less linear or scripted game play elements as a means of keeping people playing.

Primarily the PvP aspect here as an example, as they themselves admitted it was more popular and their metrics show a lot more people participating in it than expected. 

Clearly they're unable to produce enough content delivered through their PvE story system to keep me subscribed for any extended period of time, and when they do produce more class story for us to play through, it's certainly not going to be equal to the amount that was there at release. iIt will likely take people days to play through. How long were they expecting this to occupy people?

To be honest, while it was fairly interesting as a journey, their story element offers nothing in terms of destination. The journey is so easy and so fast, how did they possibly conclude that it was enough to maintain subscribers for an extended period of time? Sometimes it honestly feels like their only exposure to MMOs was through some guy they knew that kind of played WoW casually for a bit, rather than a company that took a long hard look at well over a decade of MMO problems and solutions.

So they have this half baked PvP system just sat there floundering. Injecting that with some long term and persistant goals would go a long way for them, they're story system certainly isn't going to be delivering any substantial amount of content to keep people interested for months at a time.

They need to explore avenues other than their gimmicky little stories as a source of content to even be a viable gaming option in the long run.

As their raids are simplistic rehashes of events I've already played through elsewhere and the top end hard mode dungeons aren't worth the time, expanding on their pvp system would be a wise choice in terms of keeping people interested in the long run.

I'm sure someones eager to jump in here and declare that the amount of content this game had at release will occupy them for years to come, and that's great. But as someone who watched a guild of over 120 excited players with an average of 75 online at any given time to a guild that sometimes now manages 6 or 7 online at a time, I can at least speak to how they could get at least that many back in and subbing.

Originally posted by Pigozz

So basicly extremely linear single player game? Now that's something INCREDIBLE for 200 Million dollars! Yeah that would have been awsome i agree. THAT is what TOR should have been. A MMO version of Mass Effect.

Dont defend SWTOR for not having features it should have because devs never promote it...this game OUGHT to have everything with its budget Uhh... no? TOR should have been focused on what BW is good at, story-driven RPGness.

Oh and even if so..they said the story and the quests are going to be super special awesome...What they delivered to us were fetch quests/activate shiny panel quests and kill-ten-rats quests in VO...I mean WoW has some very original and fun quests in these days: one would except that when they ripped the entire game they would also rip the good parts...hmm ..I guess not - too much work for this new greedy and arrogant bioware... Don't let your hatred of WoW hit you in the ass on the way out of this thread.image

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

First I am not a BW fanboyimage. I know right? BW obviously is in over their heads right now. No UI customazation, Hi-rez was a bug bullshit and the Illium mess proves that. They got off point somewhere. The POINT of TOR was story-driven RPG like their two biggest IP are. They went wrong when they tried to please everyone. They should have stuck with what they know. Now you have people moaning about crap that should not have been in game in the first place. That's all I'm saying.

First, yep they do have a team for PVP. Second, I wouldn't assume you were (a fanboy). As a realist I have to agree, at least when it comes to world PVP such as Ilum, that should have been held back until it was fleshed out and working.

I really have no complaint about the structure of their BG's aside from the random queue BS. THey also should have put a lot more thought into PVP on contested planets, as it stands now it only serves a novelty purpose. More time in the oven would have served these features very well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by nate1980

I find it funny that people complain about the PvP. What does PvP boil down to exactly? Is it not fighting and hopefully killing the enemy players? Whether you're killing other players in an open world or an instanced battleground, you're still killing players day after day, week after week, and month after month. How is that any less boring than any other end game feature?

DAoC was my first MMORPG and I loved that game, but even I got bored RvRing day in and day out. I'm afraid you all will never be pleased with MMORPG's, because you have these high expectations that some game will make you enjoy doing the same activity for long periods of time.

A good sandbox title with conquest style PvP is a different story, but I gave up on that dream a long time ago. Since then, I've learned to enjoy MMORPG's for what they are, and once the content is complete, I quit the game without any regrets or feel the need to criticize the game ceaselessly.

I just don't think MMORPG's are well suited to endgame designs. To me, they're more about the journey than the destination. Endgame, whether it's PvP or PvE all boils down to repeating the same action over and over again until you're bored to death. That's why I enjoy SWTOR so much. It's rare that I enjoy the leveling experience in a MMORPG. The class stories, heroics, and flashpoints are all enjoyable to me. Warzones are also enjoyable, but I don't grind them out the way some people do.

I don't think GW2 is going to be any different really. It'll be wrapped in different packaging, and may feel a little different, but once the novelty of the game wears off, you all will realize that you're still repeating the same action ad nasuem, just in a different setting.

Just because you have given up on conquest type PvP which has a meaning does not mean others have. TERA and ArcheAge are two upcoming MMORPGs which both are promising to have endgame political conquer type PvP and TERA is not even a sandbox MMO.

So it can for sure be done, it just depends what cathegory of gamers the devs are targetting and for me it is getting more and more clear that SW:TOR are targetting the PvE crowd and PvP is mostly added as a feature to make people buy the game. For example, they have world PvP servers but there is absolutely no point in engaging in it, and most people dont, so why even have them?

So your saying everyone buys mmos for pvp... considering you said  " pvp is mostly add as a feature to make ppl buy the game" well considering they were targeting pve / story line players from the start  your just making excuses to try and sell your point.  Witch is failing by the way. 

Why cant people ever take something for what it is instead of trying to convice others what its not?

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

it failed to meet the expectations of gamers following it for the past few years and finacially most likely failed to meet there expectations.

But all in all itll be alright...casuals dig it and they have enough time to release some content before the big mmo's of 2012 drop to keep the pop healthy.

Post GW2,D3 and AA is a crapshot at best imo...i just dont think itll measure up to those very well and dont see it competing, but thats a long ways off and who knows what will happen to TOR in that time.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by youngkg

it failed to meet the expectations of gamers following it for the past few years and finacially most likely failed to meet there expectations.

But all in all itll be alright...casuals dig it and they have enough time to release some content before the big mmo's of 2012 drop to keep the pop healthy.

Post GW2,D3 and AA is a crapshot at best imo...i just dont think itll measure up to those very well and dont see it competing, but thats a long ways off and who knows what will happen to TOR in that time.

The game is certainly a fail when measured against it's potential. Many, myself included, felt this game had a real shot of becoming the most dominant post-WoW MMO in the western MMORPG market, by a wide margin. That just isn't going to happen and even if it's mildly more successful than average over time, (which, at this point is not guaranteed), it still will signal a huge waste of potential on the part of EA; not to mention millions of dollars and tons of man hours.

Some where in development, things went very wrong. The right design team, given another year to develop the game, might have been able to identify the flaws and properly address them. However, given the actual end result, I'm not sure this team could have fixed the flaws if given more time. In any event, there were management failures that led up to this point, but we'll never know at what level and how pervasive, nor will we likely ever know if any one in development understood the game's flaws, but failed to convince higher ups of the need for a change of course before it was too late.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated