Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starwars the old republic (one word) FAIL

Comments

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Raora

people are building up GW2, it too will fail to live up to expectations

My expectations for a game like GW2 are very simple: i am hoping it is better than SWTOR...now is this asking too much? I mean, how low can i get on my expectations? image

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I admit I don't follow GW2, so I don't get the hype, but what about that game will keep people subscribed for more than 6 months, which is how long I think it'll take me to complete all the class quests in SWTOR? 

There is no subscription to GW2 Nate1980 :)

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

If you enjoy PvP, why do you need a "point" in fighting the enemy faction? I'm also wary of any "promises" game developers make. I've been playing MMORPG's since 2002, and I've yet to see a released game since then that fulfilled the promises they made or met the expectations of their playerbase.

I'm just saying, it was clear to me long before SWTOR ever released that the game was about experiencing the story found through the journey to max level and I didn't even follow the development of the game hardly. Most people on this website followed SWTOR heavily, knew what the game was about, and then acted suprised that the game wasn't a deep PvP game.

If all I want is a game with meaningful PvP, then I certainly wouldn't follow any game that shown any signs of it being a PvE-centric game. I'd strictly follow the games whose very nature is built around conquest-esque PvP.

SWTOR is a story-based MMORPG, an evolution of the heavily quest-based focused MMORPG's that WoW made popular. It should be no suprise that the end game in SWTOR would be similar to the end game found in similar styled MMORPG's. So anyone buying SWTOR, that frequents this website, to experience anything other than its strong suit is being foolish and has no reason to complain or act suprised when their expectations aren't being met.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Corehaven

Prepare to get a dozen replys about Swtor not being a PvP centric game.  That seems to be the common defence. 

Less a defense and more a "Where have you been?"  The PvP isn't good. No one who paid any attention expected it to be. They can do a few things to make it a bit better like fix the bugs but it's never going to be good. The concept is all wrong. It's like complaining Paula Dean can't play baskeball for beans.

Except Paula Dean, whoever she is, probably never claimed to be able to play basketball where as Bioware promoters boasted alot about how nice the PvP in SW:TOR will be. Even claiming they had people from WAR working on it, like that would be seen as a positive thing, LOL

So they told you something  no one believed and now you're telling us it's not true? Why?

Who said no one believed it? I did not personally believe, because I generally dont trust major game publishers, it but I am sure alot of fans did.

You are trying to spin it in such a way that it is the customers fault for Bioware releasing sub-par PvP because they never were supposed to. But if they were never supposed to then why did they say they would?

That is a rethorical question btw...

Originally posted by Fangrim

Yeah I know that. I meant the amount of time they'll play the game consecutively like you would any other MMORPG. People will still play the game until they get bored, which I think will be sooner than people are expecting, considering that all MMORPG's are based on doing repetitive things. If a player doesn't enjoy the very act of PvP, meaning they don't find reward in PvP by doing PvP itself, then tacking on reasons to PvP won't keep them playing a whole hell of a lot longer. Meaning, once the novelty of whatever PvP feature that has them excited has worn off, they'll realise they're still repeating the same thing over and over again.

The only exception I've experienced is when there's conquest PvP, meaning you can take and defend territory with structures that can be sieged, taken, and defended. But even then, without resources to fight over that are important to players, such as crafting materials, fighting over territory is just as meaningless as fighting for the possession of a huttball.

I haven't been following GW2, but I don't think they're giving anything but shallow reasons to PvP. However, if it's anything like GW was, where guilds can PvP for world rankings that are posted on the website, and where there is actual competitions with monetary rewards, then I could be wrong.

Prepare to get a dozen replys about Swtor not being a PvP centric game.  That seems to be the common defence. 

Less a defense and more a "Where have you been?"  The PvP isn't good. No one who paid any attention expected it to be. They can do a few things to make it a bit better like fix the bugs but it's never going to be good. The concept is all wrong. It's like complaining Paula Dean can't play baskeball for beans.

Except Paula Dean, whoever she is, probably never claimed to be able to play basketball where as Bioware promoters boasted alot about how nice the PvP in SW:TOR will be. Even claiming they had people from WAR working on it, like that would be seen as a positive thing, LOL

So they told you something  no one believed and now you're telling us it's not true? Why?

Who said no one believed it? I did not personally believe, because I generally dont trust major game publishers, it but I am sure alot of fans did.

You are trying to spin it in such a way that it is the customers fault for Bioware releasing sub-par PvP because they never were supposed to. But if they were never supposed to then why did they say they would?

This subject is highly subjective to personal opinion and tastes. You're assuming that everyone that loves to PvP does so as they're main source of MMORPG entertainment or that they want some feature rich PvP endgame. Some people, like myself, enjoy SWTOR's PvP for what it is. I find the warzones a fun distraction from the main part of the game, which is the class stories. So IMO, the PvP in SWTOR IS nice. It's not what I'd look for in a PvP game, but it's nice for a story-driven MMORPG.

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

I'm equally sure no one can honestly say they believed the game would be anything other that what it is. Who would be that gullible? That is a rethorical question btw...

R h e t o r i c a l  btw.

Originally posted by nate1980

Yeah I know that. I meant the amount of time they'll play the game consecutively like you would any other MMORPG. People will still play the game until they get bored, which I think will be sooner than people are expecting, considering that all MMORPG's are based on doing repetitive things. If a player doesn't enjoy the very act of PvP, meaning they don't find reward in PvP by doing PvP itself, then tacking on reasons to PvP won't keep them playing a whole hell of a lot longer. Meaning, once the novelty of whatever PvP feature that has them excited has worn off, they'll realise they're still repeating the same thing over and over again.

The only exception I've experienced is when there's conquest PvP, meaning you can take and defend territory with structures that can be sieged, taken, and defended. But even then, without resources to fight over that are important to players, such as crafting materials, fighting over territory is just as meaningless as fighting for the possession of a huttball.

I haven't been following GW2, but I don't think they're giving anything but shallow reasons to PvP. However, if it's anything like GW was, where guilds can PvP for world rankings that are posted on the website, and where there is actual competitions with monetary rewards, then I could be wrong.

There are pvp matches that put 3 servers together (WvWvW) that last for 2 weeks that include taking resources and getting them back to your castle to construct siege engines to use against the other 2 servers.The winning server after the event gets server wide bonuses and higher ranking so that in the next pvp event they are put against stronger servers :)

• Originally posted by Brodter

Just because you don't like this game does not mean it fails.  I enjoy this game but I don't go around saying its the best MMORPG out there, now do I?

I guess if you go by the original posters logic you could.

There are pvp matches that put 3 servers together (WvWvW) that last for 2 weeks that include taking resources and getting them back to your castle to construct siege engines to use against the other 2 servers.The winning server after the event gets server wide bonuses and higher ranking so that in the next pvp event they are put against stronger servers :)

Two week long battles sounds like it's too long, but I admit that does sound interesting. I could understand why people interested in buying GW2 for PvP. What I don't understand is why people would buy SWTOR for PvP, and then create threads berating the PvP in SWTOR for not meeting unrealistic expectations for a story driven MMORPG, which SWTOR has always been hyped up to be and has delivered on.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by nowrnvr

I had high hopes for this game but after playing it for one month I have to say this game fails on many levels

~ bgs ... huttball x 10,000 cough boring as hell, also if you win it might not count as a win as well as skills not working and freezing up ....so after playing for 3 hours tonight and 5 wins my quest is till not done :......:

~ I know this game was not based on pvp but having no objectives in pvp in ilum other than a quest or two and getting valor which atm has no worth ... also killing players at their gate over and over is not very challenging.

~ I do agree that the quest line was alot of fun but other than that doing hardmodes over and over can get pretty boring, if you want to lvl up alts you might have alot of fun but tbh this game imo needs alot more to keep it going.

~ the servers are not balanced at all and playing against your own side in bgs and doing three bgs over and over again boring...

~ I have to say battlegrounds for people who like pvp are very boring.... 

Did I mention boring ? =D

~ bottom line I'm waiting for guildwars 2 to come out ,  3 realms against each other with objectives and not having to wait for a tank or healer should be a real bonus :) the videos look awesome as well as some awesome classes to play !!!!!

So basically your post is about pvp. predominantly about pvp.

It seems that a great amount of the dissension comes from a segment of the population who were relying upon the...

pvp.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Goldknyght

Originally posted by Onomas

Some people just like these easy console style dumbed down mmorpg's. Not many like tons of features, they like paying for mediocre mmo's that lack features. So let them have SWTOR as their best game ever. Ones that agree with you (OP), will find better games down the road.

Im glad people like SWTOR, im a huge fan of SW's when i first watched it decades ago. Its just not my cup of tea, ill play KTOR on my console and not get charges a 15/month fee ;)

No because people like you and the OP want a game to have everything right up front. You think the next game will have everything you want at launch? Hope not because prepare to be disappointed again!

thats why I dont bother with most new MMOs.  I am currently playing EQ....which came out in 1999.  It plays like an actual MMO, not a single player RPG with some co-op functionality.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    TOR has instanced PvP, open world PvP, FFA PvP and Ilum PvP. Quite a number of people seem to enjoy them, and it's more variety in it than you see in a lot of other AAA MMO's. OP didn't enjoy it. Well, at least he has found another upcoming MMO to pine all his hopes up (again) >.>

Thing is, the game isn't out yet, and while the concept sounds good, at this point it's just an act of faith to believe it'll really meet the insanely high expectations that people seem to have about it, in much the same way that people have unrealistically high expectations of other MMO's and their features before the games got released. It's the same thing people have been doing for former MMO's, building up all their hopes and dream ideas of how it'll be, and for upcoming MMO's again like GW2, TSW, AA, TERA etc.

Thing is, the game isn't out yet, and while the concept sounds good, at this point it's just an act of faith to believe it'll really meet the insanely high expectations that people seem to have about it, in much the same way that people have unrealistically high expectations of other MMO's and their features before the games got released. It's the same thing people have been doing for former MMO's, building up all their hopes and dream ideas of how it'll be, and for upcoming MMO's again like GW2, TSW, AA, TERA etc.

Ah yes I know what you mean,I also posted in another forum saying similar things:) I should of said 'They say there will be instead of there is'

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by Goldknyght

Originally posted by biggarfoot

I just resubbed and regret that decision, PvP is a joke, even the PvP sets isnt worth grinding for, as you get better stats on pve gear, the expertise only reduces the dmg by 10 - 15% and the stats you really want for your gear isnt on the PvP gear.

As the OP already mentioned the WZ just get tedious and boring after a while. As to the PvE it gets old and tedious, the crafting isnt worth its salt, lvl 50 gear requires flashpoint grinding for mats, and this is where the game centres its selling point, Flashpoints, if you enjoy grinding them everyday then kudos to you, but I dont want to pay subs for a game where i am required to enter instances everyday to grind gear. I will play my month out and move on.

And name one MMO where u dont have to do everything u mention'd you didnt want to do? All require grinding All are annoying when u have to grind. Its just do u like the game enough to grind. Me i wont grind ill just lvl to 50 make a new toon lvl to 50 make a new toon lvl to 50 and make a new toon.

Actually, there is one MMORPG that doesn't require any grinding at all, if you so chose, and that is EVE.

Skills train up in real time, many people grind for ISK (gold) however if you want you can just pay cash for ISK by purchasing game time cards (PLEX) and selling them in game for ISK.

I've known people who never did any sort of PVE/grind at all, they funded all their PVP activities by selling PLEX, its what they preferred to spend their time on.

Love or hate the game, but it is one of the few MMO's that has no traditional grind.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Originally posted by smh_alot

Ah yes I know what you mean,I also posted in another forum saying similar things:) I should of said 'They say there will be instead of there is'

Yep. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about it too and I love the inclusion of RTS elements and Dynamic Events into mass scale PvP. However, reality also often turns out to be more mundane than things were in people's imagination and hopes. Anyway, this topic is about TOR so I'm gonna leave it at this before I stray too far away from OP topic >.>
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    You people are forgetting to add the "for me" at the end of your post. Game certainly hasn't failed.. For me...

So what happens when one of those "w"s doesn't have the population of another and simply gives up cause they have no chance to win? I can't wait to see post about that... Lol. Just like in any other game, one will become dominant and the other two will stop participating.

You can't make people choose a faction or server and they will never be even, and you can't depend on the same folks coming back for two weeks straight. This sounds like a disaster in the making.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

People saying that a MMORPG doesnt need to be PvP centric always make me image

Sure you can have a highly amount of PvE content to rinse with other players, and it has been a common practice to fill end game content with PvE raids, dungeons, instances, whatever so people can burn the clock hours and hours and hours doing the same thing over and over and over for some gear or whatever...

...but claiming that a genre where the acronym begins with "massive multi-player online" doesnt need to be PvP centric is a bit foolish...

...stating that PvP doesnt need to be as good as PvE content, or at least a big part of an mmo, is mind-blowing...

Why would be that most mmorpgs recent launches always bring 2 or more opposing factions to its design? Why not play with all factions against the cute npcs foes?? Is that not fun....

Because there are more than 3 servers and like i said 'they say'there will be a ranking system so strong servers will be against each other and so will weaker.Really though can't say much until after its been launched a few months,I was just answering nate1980 when he mentioned about GW2 subscribers which then led to PvP.Anyway leaving this to SW:TOR now :)

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

So...I take it some of you don't think that all the money spent on cut scenes and voice overs is enough to keep you subscribed? How surprising.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Clerigo

People saying that a MMORPG doesnt need to be PvP centric always make me image

Sure you can have a highly amount of PvE content to rinse with other players, and it has been a common practice to fill end game content with PvE raids, dungeons, instances, whatever so people can burn the clock hours and hours and hours doing the same thing over and over and over for some gear or whatever...

...but claiming that a genre where the acronym begins with "massive multi-player online" doesnt need to be PvP centric is a bit foolish...

...stating that PvP doesnt need to be as good as PvE content, or at least a big part of an mmo, is mind-blowing...

Why would be that most mmorpgs recent launches always bring 2 or more opposing factions to its design? Why not play with all factions against the cute npcs foes?? Is that not fun....

Co-op mode is multiplayer as well. I think that more MMOs should actually put some work into PvP but not all actually needs it.

MMORPGs are after all based on pen and paper RPGs and PvP is rare in those.

However if you add PvP it should be good, not something you add as an afterthought. The standard MMO mechanics were made for PvE, not PvE. That is why the trinity combat mechanics are as it is and that is why PvE and PvE combat is so different in most MMOs.

There is a reason most MMO players prefer PvE and that isn´t that they are care bears but that the standard MMO PvP suck. 

Because there are more than 3 servers and like i said 'they say'there will be a ranking system so strong servers will be against each other and so will weaker.Really though can't say much until after its been launched a few months,I was just answering nate1980 when he mentioned about GW2 subscribers which then led to PvP.Anyway leaving this to SW:TOR now :)

I understand, but like I said, what happens where they're aren't enough "evenly" matched servers to maintain this system. All games have issues and everyone thinks that the one not yet released is going to be the best. 

TOR fell short of the OP's expectations which is fine. He will be missed.. 

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Loke666

There is a reason most MMO players prefer PvE and that isn´t that they are care bears but that the standard MMO PvP suck. 

I prefer PvE to PvP because (as per my experience) a large number of PvPers are just d-bags. There's almost zero sportsmanship involved with PvP in online gaming. I'm the type of PvPer who, if I duel someone and lose, I bow to my opponent. If I duel someone and win, I bow to my opponent. No taunting or teabagging or any of that crap for me.

Sore losers and sore winners...they just take the fun out of PvP for me.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by nowrnvr

I had high hopes for this game but after playing it for one month I have to say this game fails on many levels

~ bgs ... huttball x 10,000 cough boring as hell, also if you win it might not count as a win as well as skills not working and freezing up ....so after playing for 3 hours tonight and 5 wins my quest is till not done :......:

~ I know this game was not based on pvp but having no objectives in pvp in ilum other than a quest or two and getting valor which atm has no worth ... also killing players at their gate over and over is not very challenging.

~ I do agree that the quest line was alot of fun but other than that doing hardmodes over and over can get pretty boring, if you want to lvl up alts you might have alot of fun but tbh this game imo needs alot more to keep it going.

~ the servers are not balanced at all and playing against your own side in bgs and doing three bgs over and over again boring...

~ I have to say battlegrounds for people who like pvp are very boring.... 

Did I mention boring ? =D

~ bottom line I'm waiting for guildwars 2 to come out ,  3 realms against each other with objectives and not having to wait for a tank or healer should be a real bonus :) the videos look awesome as well as some awesome classes to play !!!!!

I remember SW:Tor had such awesome video trailers also. 

The real reason you feel so unsatisfied is your ridiculous expectations,  The exact same expectations you are repeating again with GW2.

While the Videos are amazing from GW2, the differrence is; most of (if not all) the hype surrounding GW2 has been generated by players who have played GW2 at conventions and expos, ArenaNet has done little to sell their game thus far, and considering that they are due for a release around Q3-Q4 I'd say they are quite happy to let their actions speak louder than words.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln