Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SV releases 2011 Financials (and Q4).. continued player loss CONFIRMED. Continued loss of money CON

2»

Comments

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by deathshroud

Originally posted by EverSkelly

I don't understand these happy threads. So they are losing money. OK. Every existing game is probably losing subs, except for maybe 1 or 2.

So fucking what?

You look like this:

"OMG OMG they're losing money, they're losing subs, YES YES YES !!1!!!!!!"

All these "i told you they will not succeed" threads makes me puke.  All this malevolance makes you look so lame.

these same people originally said the game would be dead after the first month over a year ago, then they said it would be dead by last christmas so im interested to know their new prediciton.

Most people tend to ignore them here thats why only a handful (about 5) of MO's actual population bother to come to these forums to talk about the game.

The sixth sense....

MO is and has been dead for some time now....The pop has always sucked,The game has always been broken in several areas,Combat is horendous...and so on.

its dead...you just havent realized it yet...

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by EverSkelly

I don't understand these happy threads. So they are losing money. OK. Every existing game is probably losing subs, except for maybe 1 or 2.

So fucking what?

You look like this:

"OMG OMG they're losing money, they're losing subs, YES YES YES !!1!!!!!!"

All these "i told you they will not succeed" threads makes me puke.  All this malevolance makes you look so lame.

these same people originally said the game would be dead after the first month over a year ago, then they said it would be dead by last christmas so im interested to know their new prediciton.

Most people tend to ignore them here thats why only a handful (about 5) of MO's actual population bother to come to these forums to talk about the game.

When you have a rich daddy who's willing to finance your idiocy, then things can keep going a lot longer than you'd expect.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I kind of see things differently. I dont think its inevitable of this game being dead.

I think they have 1 more chance and 1 more chance only.  They have to get "Awakening" to be a normal and very impressive working patch as it comes out. In other words, if the new mob AI is unique, good, and actually works, and the UI and magic is good, then they have a shot.

Now granted, the chance of that happening is slim based upon history, it is possible.

But if this goes south like the others, I dont think it has a chance in hell. 

In addition, you dont need financials to see that the player base is down right now, I could have told you that because I log in almost every night.

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by xDayx

I kind of see things differently. I dont think its inevitable of this game being dead.

I think they have 1 more chance and 1 more chance only.  They have to get "Awakening" to be a normal and very impressive working patch as it comes out. In other words, if the new mob AI is unique, good, and actually works, and the UI and magic is good, then they have a shot.

Now granted, the chance of that happening is slim based upon history, it is possible.

In addition, you dont need financials to see that the player base is down right now, I could have told you that because I log in almost every night.

I don't think that's the case... the game can keep running on Henrik's dad's money forever. If we take that out of the equation however, they actually have no chances left. Who is going to give this game money as a charity, and knowning their past history, plus their gameplay really sucking overall... they would have to REBUILD the game in one patch.

The chances are OVER already. They are just milking whatever they can out of this, but whether it's a year or a month, they are going to go, unless Henrik's dad steps in. On a related note, they are floating more stock... who wants to bet Henrik's dad buys it?

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

I don't think that's the case... the game can keep running on Henrik's dad's money forever. If we take that out of the equation however, they actually have no chances left. Who is going to give this game money as a charity, and knowning their past history, plus their gameplay really sucking overall... they would have to REBUILD the game in one patch.

The chances are OVER already. They are just milking whatever they can out of this, but whether it's a year or a month, they are going to go, unless Henrik's dad steps in. On a related note, they are floating more stock... who wants to bet Henrik's dad buys it?

There are players like me who are currently subbed and dont see it as charity. I wasnt in beta and am glad I wasnt but have played on and off ever since the game went gold. I do think that is it humanly possible to release "Awakening" in a workable state. Whether this team can do it is the quesiton. I wouldnt bet anyones life on it though based upon history.

Your comment on the gameplay sucking overall. What is the gameplay? I think it is a couple things right now.

1)PVP still without any reason to do so other than a kill-count.

2)Crafting/gathering which I personally like.

With Awakening(if it miracuously works well) will add another component to the above

3) PVE, which the game desperately needs. Far too long has SV neglected fluff players like myself. 

As long as PVE enters in a good state I will personally continue to sub. Without it I dont personally know how much longer I would stick around because my guild is thinning out and the current reasons to furthur and manuevor your empire is useless without other guilds/players.

There are players like me who are currently subbed and dont see it as charity. I wasnt in beta and am glad I wasnt but have played on and off ever since the game went gold. I do think that is it humanly possible to release "Awakening" in a workable state. Whether this team can do it is the quesiton. I wouldnt bet anyones life on it though based upon history.

Your comment on the gameplay sucking overall. What is the gameplay? I think it is a couple things right now.

With Awakening(if it miracuously works well) will add another component to the above

3) PVE, which the game desperately needs. Far too long has SV neglected fluff players like myself. 

As long as PVE enters in a good state I will personally continue to sub. Without it I dont personally know how much longer I would stick around because my guild is thinning out and the current reasons to furthur and manuevor your empire is useless without other guilds/players.

I hope Awakening works out for ya, I wanna see more games offer what Mortal and DF offer out there in the future....

But i could never bring myself to supporting AV after numerous trials...And maybe it isnt in my best interest to wish these guys would just go away already so we can fill the Sandbox void with something else on the horizon,But at the same rate i cant imagine how this game has done anything positive for the sandbox genre.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by youngkg

I hope Awakening works out for ya, I wanna see more games offer what Mortal and DF offer out there in the future....

But i could never bring myself to supporting AV after numerous trials...And maybe it isnt in my best interest to wish these guys would just go away already so we can fill the Sandbox void with something else on the horizon,But at the same rate i cant imagine how this game has done anything positive for the sandbox genre.

have you actually played MO? its not really anything like darkfall.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by davidemo89

Ehm... In this forum they told to new players that MO was going to die soon 10 months ago...

Let's see.. each financial report been stating that they lose both subscriptions and money.. I would say that the fact the game is dying so far is correct, as for when.. shrug, half a year more or less, it's up to Henriks dad.

• blurtblurterblurtblurter Member Posts: 25

There are quite a few of us taking a break, waiting to see what happens with this title, we can only throw money at Henrick so long. While the game itself has vast potential and gives you that feeling of danger around every turn we believe Henrick has no business acumen and would be advised to sell the title as a going concern.

There is a reason why UO developed PvP and PvE dimensions, although many PvPers will complain and scream at this, the fact is UO is still here, still has a strong fan base. If UO went proper 3d I would be back there yesterday. Eve Online has guarded and unguarded areas, it is a great PvP game, those that wish to PvP do so, those that want to PvE do that, all are welcome to Eve. No one should be made to do anything.

This is the concept that Henrick fails to realise, this is why we have no confidance in this title while Henrick is at the helm.

Originally posted by youngkg

have you actually played MO? its not really anything like darkfall.

I was refering to it being a Full loot sandbox mmo...Similarities stop there but thats a pretty big one.

Edit: enough to make me wish i enjoyed Mortal since i have no full loot pvp sandbox atm.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by blurtblurter

There are quite a few of us taking a break, waiting to see what happens with this title, we can only throw money at Henrick so long. While the game itself has vast potential and gives you that feeling of danger around every turn we believe Henrick has no business acumen and would be advised to sell the title as a going concern.

There is a reason why UO developed PvP and PvE dimensions, although many PvPers will complain and scream at this, the fact is UO is still here, still has a strong fan base. If UO went proper 3d I would be back there yesterday. Eve Online has guarded and unguarded areas, it is a great PvP game, those that wish to PvP do so, those that want to PvE do that, all are welcome to Eve. No one should be made to do anything.

This is the concept that Henrick fails to realise, this is why we have no confidance in this title while Henrick is at the helm.

True that.

But Henrik played a red PK in old school UO, so I'm not really surprised that he has focused on making MO a deathmatch from day one. Those who exclusively go for one playstyle tend to be pretty narrow-minded when it comes to the design priorities needed for a game to attract a wider audience.

The PK-fanatics talk about "player freedom", but don't realize that the freedom to kill anyone anywhere without real consequence (yes, MO's PK penalties are a joke) is also a severe limitation for players that don't enjoy PvP 24/7. Add a total lack of fun non-combat activities, and you have an empty world with a few red gankers fighting each other, complaining about how carebear and non-hardcore everyone else is.

A game need artificial restrictons, just like society needs it. In my opinion EVE has a good system, with its gradual scale between nullsec and highsec, and the corresponding risk vs reward design philosophy. 

The pathetic part is that MO, despite its claim of total freedom and realism, actually has artifical restrictions, albeit of a very stupid kind - guarded towns have this invisible border between totally FFA PvP and insta-ganking, teleporting guards. Gank squads roam this border looking for targets, while the carebears huddle inside. Not very "free" or "realistic" if you ask me.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

Going to correct you on this point here. PVE is by no way "fluff", its a CORE aspect of any RPG, be it a mmo or single player game. Now in shooter FPS games, yes PVE is fluff but that just goes to prove the point that MO isnt a sandbox or even a MMORPG for that matter, but just a FPS deathmatch game with some "fluff" thrown in for good measure.

And like you Im also going to wait and see how this Awakening "patch" pans out. Im nearly convinced that this saviour patch #xxx will bomb down like all prior saviour patches but there remains a shadow of a doubt that SV might have brought in one underpaid overworking intern this time and worked him like a bull to put out sometime that doesnt come out with the trademark SV-approved-seal-of-broken-promises.

We will soon see how this patch rolls out.

While us normal people put our left foot forward and then the right foot front to move ahead in life, our man Henrick puts his left foot forward and his right foot back and wonders why his game is stuck in splits. As long as Mr CEO is in lead, this game will have no future other than hogging daddy's resources while catering to a mostly rabid fanatical playerbase. Like that other poster said, its a good thing that around only 5 actual MO players come here to share their opinions, otherwise you would have a whooping 35 to 50 posters creating "population is booming" threads while pulling numbers like 20k out of their.

• blurtblurterblurtblurter Member Posts: 25

True that.

But Henrik played a red PK in old school UO, so I'm not really surprised that he has focused on making MO a deathmatch from day one. Those who exclusively go for one playstyle tend to be pretty narrow-minded when it comes to the design priorities needed for a game to attract a wider audience.

The PK-fanatics talk about "player freedom", but don't realize that the freedom to kill anyone anywhere without real consequence (yes, MO's PK penalties are a joke) is also a severe limitation for players that don't enjoy PvP 24/7. Add a total lack of fun non-combat activities, and you have an empty world with a few red gankers fighting each other, complaining about how carebear and non-hardcore everyone else is.

A game need artificial restrictons, just like society needs it. In my opinion EVE has a good system, with its gradual scale between nullsec and highsec, and the corresponding risk vs reward design philosophy. 

The pathetic part is that MO, despite its claim of total freedom and realism, actually has artifical restrictions, albeit of a very stupid kind - guarded towns have this invisible border between totally FFA PvP and insta-ganking, teleporting guards. Gank squads roam this border looking for targets, while the carebears huddle inside. Not very "free" or "realistic" if you ask me.

Agree with all you said, one of the problems is the no consequence part, when a dev is designing systems they need a base to refer too from real life scenarios like for example the wild west in the 1850s.  Around towns it is pretty safe, further away you go, more un-civil it becomes. Bandits were not allowed in towns of the regions where they had commited offence against the people of that region, kill on sight by the law. Bandits payed top dollar for everything, transport costs, finding people willing to trade with them, it was a hard life.

Now to skinny that down into a game is he art of a good designer, this is why letting alliances/guilds/indeviduals able to set thier own factions and having thier assets take on these perameters is so important. Do not try to control the situation, just allow the players to control it for themselves. If you own a town and simply having the guards on or off and still follow a game control faction setting is short sighted, it would be like trying to put lips on a chicken.