Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 fans should play Rift until GW2 comes out, since its the closes MMO experience to GW2

123457»

Comments

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Puremallace

In the long run unless ArenaNET is dropping new DE's every month it will get stale.

They will.  For free.  No sub required.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I really, really hope that the OP is as wrong as possible. If GW2 will be anything like Rift it'll be a legendary fail.

Rift has crappy unbalanced and gear/grind-based PvP and crappy uninspired and repetitive PvE. The only good thing about Rift is the class system and even there the developers ultimately failed because now every rogue is an MM, every mage is a Pyro... well, you get the picture.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

Almost like you were making things up wholesale..WoW1996.. GW2 will do well if it follows in Trions footsteps of customer service and pushing content.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/rift-revenues-reached-100-million-in-2011-trion-secures-new-fu/

Rift and GW2 share a  wholey different premise and seem to have different concepts of what people in thier niches want. I'd think the only thing they will share is that they will both make money. That being said, I can't think of anything that would be MORE like GW2...as it appears to be different than everything else, so OP's opinion stands valid.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

I sure hope not, since I did not enjoy Rift at all.

Gave me that old Warhammer feeling, which was cool for a short while, while playing that game.

The events may look alike, but I believe GW2 did a much better job at implementing them.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by bronecar

Gave me that old Warhammer feeling, which was cool for a short while, while playing that game.

+1

Exactly how I feel. WAR was cool. Mythic made some serious mistakes (the biggest of them was making PvP gear-based) but still, WAR was so much more fun that Rift can ever be. Mass PvP starting from L1 ftw.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Herodes

Originally posted by RizelStar

Takecare guys and don't live in hatred :D

Why should we hate the people who want to sell us something? :)

I don't know honestly ha ha.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well, that's my second time giving up on Rift.  Didn't last a whole lot longer this time.  If GW2 is anything like this game, I'm done with MMORPG's.  I'm barely playing TOR now.

I do have a bit more faith in companies that don't admit to trying to copy Blizzard's WoW success, so I figure GW2 is the way to go for me.

• albaficassalbaficass Member Posts: 101

GW2 pvp is just like rift and swtor....clunky

i know its IMPOSSIBLE to make sense with gw fanboys since they just want to hear what they like to hear.

anw sooner or later u will see.

dont expect gw2 to revolutionize the genre & either been the second coming of christ...it wont be

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by eyelolled

played Rift, didn't like it.

How do you even consider Rift to be the closest thing to GW2? That like saying a peice of cheese is the closest thing to pizza.

it has lots of dynamic events and other activities in the world as well as instanced (excluding raid dungeons here) contents to play. its can be fun for somebody not into raiding. as I pointed out, I been playing Rift for 6months, and I dont raid. Yet I am having a blast. its a fun game for both non raiders, and raiders I guess. its not perfect, nor did I say it was a copy paste of GW2, I just suggested it as a similar experience.

how can rift be a copy past of gw2?

RIFT came first

graphics and pvp are just like rift i dont care what the gw fanboys that are all sweets talks about gw how great blablabla how its gonna OWN the mmo industry while 90% of them didnt EVEN PLAY THE GAME. Its just like that get over it

they just say all these blind things cause it has the name GW on it.

many said the exact same things about swtor and look at it now..a piece of garbage game.

[mod edit]

I remember back when people said a game called TOR would kill Rift because it was so different and they knew how to do things better.

I recommend changing the title. Rift ruined A CRAPPP ton of peoples experience in TOR because all they did was compare TOR to Rift and saw how bad the game was lacking. GW2 will no different whatsoever.

If you do not think Rift is the closest thing to GW2 then you are smoking crack. Notice the "dynamic" events. How about that dragon they showed off in GW2? I do that every single day on Ember Isle. How about events scalling to the number of players? This happens every single day during a zone event in Rift since about patch 1.1.

Rift even took it one step further. Not only do they scale based on the number of people, but it also scales based on the gear level of people fighting it. They are actually TWEAKING this in 1.7 to make it scale even more.

TAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE my word. First feature people ask for in GW2 outside of customizable UI like Rift will be "join public group" <-----this button makes incredibleeeeeeeeeeee sense in GW2

EXACTLY 

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

albaficass, maybe people would take you seriously if you weren't such an obvious TERA fanboy.

The only reason TERA will have players is because it attracts teens attracted to nipples and Goku hairstyles

And stop claiming how you or your friend got to play the GW2 beta. You didn't. It's an obvious attempt to trashtalk the game.

And you said you saw GW2 combat WITH YOUR OWN EYES??! Didn't we all? I mean, i'm not using my liver to watch all those videos.

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

Rift is probably the most boring MMO I have ever played. Three times I tried it, and three times I lasted a couple of days, tops. 

I actually preferred SWTOR, and I lasted 10 days at that. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Talking about Tera as a fallback MMO until GW2 launches is really, really pointless, considering that Tera won't release until early May. Fallback MMO is one that you can subscribe and play right now.

No matter how good (or bad) Tera is, it's not an option as a fallback MMO right now.

Also, the discussion about which is "better" is highly subjective. Ask any full PvP looter advocate what's the best PvP system and then consider why you aren't conviced that his system is "better". Or the opposite.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by albaficass

There isn't a single MMO that will have all that GW2 will have, because GW2 have taken ideas from multiple different games, a lot of them not even MMOs. Guild Wars 1, DAoC, Ultima Online, Borderlands... the list goes on. Heck, just look at how they described the game's combat:

"I like to say that GW2 controls like an MMO and has abilities like a MOBA (tools that you can use in diverse ways to adapt to changing situations), but its physical interactions are like an FPS (dodging projectiles, attacking from out of range, etc.). We are really happy with the way we were able to blend these three styles of play—and hopefully you will be too."

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by albaficass

Typical Puremallace post.

EXACTLY 

Yeah, agreeing with that guy will lead many, many people here to believe you know what you're talking about.  Go all out!

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Quizzical

The entire premise of this thread is complete nonsense.  Part of the reason for the hype about GW2 is precisely that it does some major things very differently from the usual WoW-clones such as Rift.  Another part is that it's a sequel to a great game--and a game that is very unlike Rift, at that.  Take away those two things and few would care much about GW2.

Is Rift another trinity-based game then?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I remember back when people said a game called TOR would kill Rift because it was so different and they knew how to do things better.

There's really nothing about Rift to kill.  Sub-wise it's down in the basement with all the other non-WoW MMOs.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

I actually started Rift again, I meant to do the Rift lite but I was given 3 days after redoing my old password.  I had to move my 50 and 30 to a different server.  I chose one I knew used to be popular: Briarwood.  Unfortunately I didn't see any name that seemed familiar.  I didn't really know where to start (dailies bah) so I started a new Defiant character and went through the started zone before logging for the night.

The next day I noticed Walmart was selling Skyrim for 39.99 and I bought that.