Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World will tank IMO [Mod Edit]

Comments

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    People shouldn't expect a game, any game, to be their personal salvation or a cure for cancer, and if they don't do that then they'll be on their way to avoiding any unrealistic expectations and resulting disappointments. As for AoC, I liked it, I think it released a year too early, but it had a great atmosphere, incredibly engaging melee combat system and seeing how they keep adding content and polishing and revamping game mechanics, AoC is definitely one of the more remarkable MMO's right now.

The work they put in it and the amount of content being added up till doesn't really look like its devs have abandoned the game, certainly not compared to some other MMO's that really seem to be abandoned by their companies, or put way down on the priority list.

Regarding TSW, I like the lore and setting, it's the most exciting one for MMO's I've encountered in all these years, so that's a big plus to me. Tornquist who is the game director, I really enjoyed his adventure games Dreamfall and The Longest Journey. People should be realistic and be aware that if they want to blow through the content, then that's possible just like in any other MMO where dev content is a major part of its entertainment value. TSW won't be any different, so people should realise that after 150-200 hours they'll have seen the majority of the dev created quest/story content, at least for 1 of the factions. What then remains is the Investigation Missions and sortlike secrets that as the ARG's so far have proven, aren't easy to solve and uncover, and you'll have the PvP and the RvR in the persistent 3-faction contested zones, plus probably some high end PvE content to chew on in its own variety of dungeons and such.

So yes, the lore and setting are interesting, the atmosphere and graphics are great, the classless and level-less setting can be refreshing, and the non-standard mobs and interesting mechanics like adventuring in the dark with dynamic lighting of flashlights or the use of environment in encounters can be fun, but all that isn't a magic wonder oil. The dev provided content isn't limitless so that'll leave people after the initial 150-200 hours with the same repeatable content and other mechanics to be entertained with as in other MMO's. Although the 3-faction RvR warfare thing seems more solid than the PvP in other MMO's (if only bc it's 3 factions, and the RvR happening in persistent open world areas).
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Originally posted by Gorilla

Can I ask, did you play AO? Like it or not (I did a lot) you have to admit it had some pretyy unique sytems that still have not been 'bettered' today. Just saying.

AO's travel system, bank, auction, actually a lot of mechanics that were started there are kind of ubiquitous now with MMOs.

TSW may have zones and a lot of instances, but I kind of expected it to. It seems like it's being geared for intimate group combat with some exploring.

I'm not expecting massive pvp or what not there. That's what GW2 is for.

TSW has practically the same PVP model as GW2 - except TSWs take on RVR is fully persistent not a fortnight long competition, both additionaly have ranked arena and battleground type PVP.  TSW also has the FFA fight clubs.

It also has a simmilar PVE model - e.g. no raids

You only have to watch the videos to also realise the PVE is nowhere near on the level of instancing as SWTOR or for that matter AOC.  looks more like COH or something instancing wise.

As you say Anarchy Online was a good MMO, just had a bad launch, soon got good.  I m ainly played DAOC tat the time myself though.

AoC im not keen on myself, but its not like just because you make one bad game all your other games are bad.

I mean - SWTOR?  I still expect ME3 to be good.

I also like the idea of GW, AA and PS2.  YOU CAN LIKE MORE THAN ONE GAME

Originally posted by DeaconX

Originally posted by UppityNegro

TSW is Fallen Earth meets Rift.. Throw some zombies in and there ya go.. Hows that for "Flash in the Pan"

Have you seen the graphics? Mediocrity at its finest.. Where are the REAL innovations that can potentially push the genre forward? Evolving content, player created content, and ground breaking death mechanics? I think its more important to make the game feel more like an investment than a glorfied chat program that I wasted money on monthly until i found a f2p that was effectively the same thing.

Firstly, the graphics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8hr2cYxCtA for an MMORPG, that looks pretty ingredible.  Definitely above any other MMORPG I can think of aside from AoC.  Seeing as how AoC makes use of DX11, I wouldn't be surprised if TSW also does.

REAL innovations?

Levelless system with over 500 skills for players to unlock, mix and match as they please so YOU choose how you want to play.  Need a tank? Load up some tanking skills.  No longer do you have to wait for a party to fit a role.

Also, INVESTIGATION missions sound pretty fun instead of same old 'kill x' quest missions, a nice break from the usual.

Player created content - that's not an 'every mmorpg' feature.  I hope they eventually add something like a foundry because I'd love to create some great stories for the community, but it's not exactly a LAUNCH requirement.

Ground breaking death mechanics? Are you serious?   I'm not sure how they'll handle death, but what exactly are you hoping for?

Personally, the only thing I could consider interesting would be if you enter some crazy 'fight for your life' dimension where your soul is trapped until you can get out -- BUT that sort of thing means you can't just jump back into your group and keep going with your friends.

actually there are some mission that you have to be dead to complete

TSW is Fallen Earth meets Rift.. Throw some zombies in and there ya go.. Hows that for "Flash in the Pan"

Have you seen the graphics? Mediocrity at its finest.. Where are the REAL innovations that can potentially push the genre forward? Evolving content, player created content, and ground breaking death mechanics? I think its more important to make the game feel more like an investment than a glorfied chat program that I wasted money on monthly until i found a f2p that was effectively the same thing.

only mmo currently out with as good a graphics is Funcoms own AOC, using the same engine.  (unless your looking at like 2 year old videos without the textures in them?)

TSW blows SWTOR out of the water graphically

look as as good as GW2 and AA

possibly only TERA is better looking, but then the manga style art is a turn off for me.

Personally I wish the graphics were worse, so more people could play it on their rigs.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by DeaconX

Firstly, the graphics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8hr2cYxCtA for an MMORPG, that looks pretty ingredible.  Definitely above any other MMORPG I can think of aside from AoC.  Seeing as how AoC makes use of DX11, I wouldn't be surprised if TSW also does.

REAL innovations?

Levelless system with over 500 skills for players to unlock, mix and match as they please so YOU choose how you want to play.  Need a tank? Load up some tanking skills.  No longer do you have to wait for a party to fit a role.

Also, INVESTIGATION missions sound pretty fun instead of same old 'kill x' quest missions, a nice break from the usual.

Player created content - that's not an 'every mmorpg' feature.  I hope they eventually add something like a foundry because I'd love to create some great stories for the community, but it's not exactly a LAUNCH requirement.

Ground breaking death mechanics? Are you serious?   I'm not sure how they'll handle death, but what exactly are you hoping for?

Personally, the only thing I could consider interesting would be if you enter some crazy 'fight for your life' dimension where your soul is trapped until you can get out -- BUT that sort of thing means you can't just jump back into your group and keep going with your friends.

actually there are some mission that you have to be dead to complete

Really?  That sounds awesome to me lol... not to mention perfectly fitting for an occult-rich setting like TSW.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by neya

I hear many say the Secret World will offer something new. Really? Funcom has missed the opportunity boat with Age of Conan, if you really think they are going to diversify the Secret World enough to make it new feeling, then you are sorely mistaken. Funcom used Anarchy Online's code to build AoC albeit in a new engine, Funcom has always used zones and instances for every MMO it has created resulting in disconnected hamster boxes; and they have also relied on skill builds which they never seem to know what direction they want to take their character builds in. Consider the state that AoC is in and you will see what this developer is capable of, milking their games through expensive item shops or advertising and jumping ship with development and support onto a new project as soon as it appears their new title is tanking. Exactly the same dejavu feeling that SWTOR is giving now, claiming major success from It's box sales, yet the undercurrent is marred by fundemental flaws in its design and engine just like AoC, remember the DX10 debacle? So look elsewhere, unless Funcom drastically turn around their core development on the Secret World, try will milk its box sales and initial few Months subscriptions before dumping it on F2P and opening real cash item shops.

EA will jump shop on SWTOR before Funcom jump ship on TSW

You only have to compare the support given to AOC to the support given to WAR.  WAR actually launched in a better state, and had potential to be a better game, but they did bugger all to improve it, with bioware eventually breaking it by reworking its one half decent playstyle the RVR.  Funcom put out an expansion for AOC and still update AO today.  AOC today is a strong PVE game, it's PVP sucks though.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I hear many say the Secret World will offer something new. Really? Funcom has missed the opportunity boat with Age of Conan, if you really think they are going to diversify the Secret World enough to make it new feeling, then you are sorely mistaken. Funcom used Anarchy Online's code to build AoC albeit in a new engine, Funcom has always used zones and instances for every MMO it has created resulting in disconnected hamster boxes; and they have also relied on skill builds which they never seem to know what direction they want to take their character builds in. Consider the state that AoC is in and you will see what this developer is capable of, milking their games through expensive item shops or advertising and jumping ship with development and support onto a new project as soon as it appears their new title is tanking. Exactly the same dejavu feeling that SWTOR is giving now, claiming major success from It's box sales, yet the undercurrent is marred by fundemental flaws in its design and engine just like AoC, remember the DX10 debacle? So look elsewhere, unless Funcom drastically turn around their core development on the Secret World, try will milk its box sales and initial few Months subscriptions before dumping it on F2P and opening real cash item shops.

EA will jump shop on SWTOR before Funcom jump ship on TSW

You only have to compare the support given to AOC to the support given to WAR.  WAR actually launched in a better state, and had potential to be a better game, but they did bugger all to improve it, with bioware eventually breaking it by reworking its one half decent playstyle the RVR.  Funcom put out an expansion for AOC and still update AO today.  AOC today is a strong PVE game, it's PVP sucks though.

Also, I think FUNCOM has worked AOC into one of the better MMORPG's out there right now.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't know if it is going to tank or not. However, I will check it out.

It is new because I have not seen any other MMOs (or even action RPG) set in a modern world with monsters. That itself is worth a look for me.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by nariusseldon

It is new because I have not seen any other MMOs (or even action RPG) set in a modern world with monsters. That itself is worth a look for me.

Funcom is creative without a doubt. The real question is will people break their keyboards due to bugs. I am hoping that Funcom gets this one right. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

The Secret World will tank

Thank god.  Because all the best MMOs i've played have "tanked".    AO, Shadowbane, EQ2, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Fallen Earth - all "tanked" and yet I'll take any one of those games anyday over "successful" crap like WoW, Lineage, AION, TOR, etc.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I concur with most of the others here TSW will not do well, reason there Track Record.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

TSW is completely off my radar until I see/hear some hard specifics around crafting, until then based on my past experience with gaming companies I will assume there isnt any crafting worth talking about until those specifics are released. yes I know the devs are saying 'oh its uber cool' but that is not good enough for me.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I had wanted to try Anarchy Online (AO) when it first came out.  But didn't get around to it until after Star Wars Galaxies (SWG).  I was shocked by the sense of Déjà vu, I got from AO for SWG, especially for the UI.  I know AO had some abrupt zone transitions, and SWG did a better job of transitioning them.  But didn't anyone else notice the similarity to feel of the game engines?

Every company tries to build upon what it has already developed.  Funcom may have stumbled at times.  But I have confidence they can learn and expand in their future projects.  I look forward to seeing what they do with this new IP.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

I bet if you don't buy or play the game you will never notice how hard they tank.

As for the TSW, I am looking forward to something that is a departure from the same old elves and orcs beating the shit out of each other and I am willing to give funcom a chance a month or so after the game releases.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by catlana

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Funcom is creative without a doubt. The real question is will people break their keyboards due to bugs. I am hoping that Funcom gets this one right. 

I know three guys that just got beta access and the report I got back from 4 hours of gaming today was: no lag, no disconnects, no crashes, no quest bugs. Awesome graphics, really detailed characters and clothes. The quests were really really good, one of them calling Ragnar Tørnquist a genius after doing one of the investigation quests.

Regarding zoning etc, the zones are huge, easily 20+ hours of gameplay within one zone. Loadtimes are 5-10 seconds when switching between larger zones, which you do through Agatha, something that makes it much less of a disconnect than it was in AoC.

• moreblahblahmoreblahblah Member Posts: 58

The Dreamworld engine developed by Funcom back in the late 1990's for AO and then updated for AOC and now updated for TSW is one of the best engines in the mmo market. TSW graphics are very impressive, over the months they have slowly been putting out the full graphics potential of the game and while it still has more to come, graphics are not going to be a issue in TSW. 

Did Funcom blow the launch of AOC, sure they did. That is what happens when you have spent tens of millions of dollars on a project and you get to the point you need return on your investment or else. The SWTOR launch reminds me very much of the AOC launch except AOC graphics are 10X better then the garbage Bioware pushed out on the so called Hero engine. Pushed to release by forces beyond your control.

Based on my months of beta experience in TSW, people will be pleasantly surprised.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I've yet to hear anything bad about TSW from the people I know playing. I'm sort of pissed at myself actually, I logged into an old e-mail account and saw I had a beta invite I never cashed in on, and it no longer seems to work. sigh...

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I concur with most of the others here TSW will not do well, reason there Track Record.

I disagree with you and others saying that TSW will not do well. Reason is - mistakes will NOT be repeated. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

Ao is a good mmo, just had bad launch
    Aoc, not my cup of tea, its weak on pvp, but for raids and dungeons its really good, better than rift, possibly better than wow
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

This game is indeed going to tank. It is simple really. No game on here in the last four or five years that has launched has been considered a success. The game will follow the same trend all these other games do. It will get much hype pre-beta. Goes into Beta and gets Beta hype. Open Beta hits and mass users report many bugs and claim the game needs to be pushed back. The developers launch anyway, sells 500k - 1 mil copies, but the game is full of bugs or boring after the first intro levels, and drops a lot of the player base after the first free month. Then we move on the xfire users debates and bugs until the next big launch.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Reading the title of the thread only makes me think of one thing...

AND GW2 WILL HEAL!!!!.. :)

(I guess that leaves SWTOR as DPS).. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Aceundor

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I disagree with you and others saying that TSW will not do well. Reason is - mistakes will NOT be repeated. 

Third time's a charm or they never learn? Remains to be seen. I hope it does well. I have no faith that it will.

it's not the same dev team, so they never really did any mistakes.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'm conflicted on whether i think the game will tank or not. The main reason AoC didn't do well was that it was ahead of its time in the PC power needed for the graphics in an MMO environment but a few years down the line using the same engine and that shouldn't be a problem. Sure it had some other faults but that was the main one that caused people to slate it.

On the other hand they have a penchant for making rookie mistakes with mechanics fgo live with the launch of the game. For example the Demonologist deat that added reflective damage combined with the stacking buffs bug that meant if you buffed your shield often enough everything that hit you would just be one shot by the reflective damage. There were plenty of other bugs just as bad.

I hope they do well, i really do, they are a company who like to try and be different as has been seen by both AO & AoC and should be commended for that. Thei QA however has been severely lacking up till now.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by fenistil

I was seriously considering TSW ,but their Box+sub+substantial cash shop (planned 35% of revenue from it!) model turned me off.

Want sub from me? Keep cash shops out of a game.

Guess I will stick to GW2 and ArcheAge (pls pure no-cash shop P2P pls!) once it will come to EU or NA.

Dude why are you bothered with special clothing? The only thing you can get in shops is fashion, none game contributing stuff.. It's like an RP thing, if you want some weird symbol on you jacket you can pay for that and get it done actually. It's not gonna give you more damage, heal you more or protect... It's just for the looks, so I think you are being a bit overly negative toward a gamefeature that basically just allows people to change on the looks. Nothing more.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by DaSpack

Originally posted by fenistil

I was seriously considering TSW ,but their Box+sub+substantial cash shop (planned 35% of revenue from it!) model turned me off.

Want sub from me? Keep cash shops out of a game.

Guess I will stick to GW2 and ArcheAge (pls pure no-cash shop P2P pls!) once it will come to EU or NA.

Dude why are you bothered with special clothing? The only thing you can get in shops is fashion, none game contributing stuff.. It's like an RP thing, if you want some weird symbol on you jacket you can pay for that and get it done actually. It's not gonna give you more damage, heal you more or protect... It's just for the looks, so I think you are being a bit overly negative toward a gamefeature that basically just allows people to change on the looks. Nothing more.

Things like clothing are almost as important for me as other stuff.

Not to mention that Funcom said that it will be mostly "fluff" stuff.