Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift adding marriage and more..

SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

As cool as the marriage feature is, what I find really cool is the cross server, cross side warfronts.

Say there are not enough guardians in a warfront queue to pop the warfront, well the new system allows defiant to queue as mercenaries for the guardian team or vice versa.

Further shortening queue wait timers and getting around the everyone rolling defiant issue.

Amazing how much new FREE content they keep just giving us with this game, well over two expansions worth now but unlike every other developer out there Rift isnt slapping it into a pretty box or posting it as a paid DLC.

Some people might not like rift, but honestly its treated its subscribers better than any game in a very long time.

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

As a returning player I agree.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Sorrow

As cool as the marriage feature is, what I find really cool is the cross server, cross side warfronts.

I'm just curious (having no stake in the game or the outcome)--'traditional' XX XY marriages only, or other varieties allowed?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Marriage? Really? Is that such a wanted feature in this game?

Rift is a fine game however it severly lacks in PvP area which gives it zero longetivity for me.

Originally posted by Yamota

Any feature is wanted, by somebody.  Hell, most of them are expected/required in the next game released.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I'm debating a return.. I really am.. Not for a marriage feature (found that in tons of asian F2P games, its like a staple in those), but I found the soul system pretty cool..

Originally posted by Vyeth

I'm debating a return.. I really am.. Not for a marriage feature (found that in tons of asian F2P games, its like a staple in those), but I found the soul system pretty cool..

Yeah, marriage feature is not important to me either, soul system is great IMO and as I have stated in a different thread the Invasions are the selling point in the game for me.

I just kick myself in the ass because I played 2 months at release then moved on, I regret not playing Rift the whole time.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Yamota

Any feature is wanted, by somebody.  Hell, most of them are expected/required in the next game released.

I didnt ask if it was wanted by someone but rather if it is a demand that is really asked for by many people. To me this seems really not the focus of an MMORPG like Rift, more Second Life or something like that.

I may be wrong but I would see alot higher priority items than this for Rift.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

wow these guys are desperate

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

I'm just curious (having no stake in the game or the outcome)--'traditional' XX XY marriages only, or other varieties allowed?

I wondered about this myself. No matter how they do it some will be upset.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Say there are not enough guardians in a warfront queue to pop the warfront, well the new system allows defiant to queue as mercenaries for the guardian team or vice versa.

Further shortening queue wait timers and getting around the everyone rolling defiant issue.

Amazing how much new FREE content they keep just giving us with this game, well over two expansions worth now but unlike every other developer out there Rift isnt slapping it into a pretty box or posting it as a paid DLC.

Some people might not like rift, but honestly its treated its subscribers better than any game in a very long time.

Agree 100%

Originally posted by Superfluous

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/rift-revenues-reached-100-million-in-2011-trion-secures-new-fu/

^Not bad for a rookie crew.

Originally posted by Rusty715

I wondered about this myself. No matter how they do it some will be upset.

Exactly.  Not a political steaming pile I'd want to open right now.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by Forumtalker

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/rift-revenues-reached-100-million-in-2011-trion-secures-new-fu/

It was supposed to be satire on all the negative trolls on this forum. I'm happy for TRION and I sincerely hope, with the 100 mill harvested from their ardently naive playerbase, gives them the opportunity to make original and creative games unlike RIFT.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

My sub was almost up, and I was going to let it run out, but I still have founder's pricing.  After thinking about which game I would go to...there really isn't a game I'd rather be playing.  The marriage thing is a nice feature.  I was married in FFXI, I hope they do something like this.  Instead of just putting on a wedding ring you actually get a ceremony, or better yet a cutscene that your spouse, you, and all your guests can watch :D  The cross server pvp is a nice add-on.  Late night you can queue up for a warfront and be there for like 15 minutes every once in awhile.

P.S.  Can i marry my primal companion XD

Edit:  And I like being able to talk to my guildmates while i'm away from my computer. +10 for that :)

• cowheadcowhead Member UncommonPosts: 94

Weddings do not add anything. Nor do they subtract anything. They are a social feature. I remember coming across a couple of weddings in EQ. Great fun. Bunch of people chatting and having some laughs. GM's would usually show up and give out stuff. All and all good for a laugh but not important. Trion is trying add a little fluff and give people something to do. I don't see the harm.

It was supposed to be satire on all the negative trolls on this forum. I'm happy for TRION and I sincerely hope, with the 100 mill harvested from their ardently naive playerbase, gives them the opportunity to make original and creative games unlike RIFT.

My bad, checking the forums after 18 hours at work :)

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Maybe some of us are less naive and just appreciate it for what it is, a fun themepark with a great class system, some interesting concepts and devs that that have done a great job on updating the game. I'll admit for me that it has severe longevity issues but I thoroughly enjoyed the recent free weekend, playing it for what it is - fun. I'll probably sub for a month after the next patch, there's very little else around and a good themepark will do for a short while until something better or more interesting comes along. I'm with you on hoping Trion get to work on something more interesting, I like Trion they've done good with Rift.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Other varieties are allowed.  This is just to answer the question.  I really don't want this to turn into a real world political debate.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

well over two expansions worth now 

This is absolutely ludicrous.  lets see:

content:

1 2 part dungeon

1 reworked version of an older dungeon

2 20 man raids

3 10 man raids

3 solo instances that are miniature versions of raids already in game

1 new warfront

1 large zone full of content

systems/features:

Planar Attunement (lousy implementation so far, lets see what t3 brings)

LFD (every game that has added this has done so in a patch fwiw)

Warfront mercenary system 

Marriages

Instant Adventures

1 zone and 2 dungeons.  Thats two expansions worth of content?  the features list is nice for sure though.  A bit of the content has been hurt by being pushed out too fast (2 chronicles was *not* enought to launch with...and why werent all the dungeons done master mode?)

This is great if and only if there is an expansion in the near future.  The game needs a large scale content additon more then it needs a sliver here and a MM dungeon there.  Kunark (either EQ1 or EQ2) was developed in a year and had *far* more content than this and both games added stuff in the space beforehand as well (though not to the degree Rift has)

Trion is hardly composed of rookies

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by teakbois

well over two expansions worth now 

This is absolutely ludicrous.  lets see:

content:

1 2 part dungeon

1 reworked version of an older dungeon

2 20 man raids

3 10 man raids

3 solo instances that are miniature versions of raids already in game

1 new warfront

1 large zone full of content

systems/features:

Planar Attunement (lousy implementation so far, lets see what t3 brings)

LFD (every game that has added this has done so in a patch fwiw)

Warfront mercenary system 

Marriages

Instant Adventures

1 zone and 2 dungeons.  Thats two expansions worth of content?  the features list is nice for sure though.  A bit of the content has been hurt by being pushed out too fast (2 chronicles was *not* enought to launch with...and why werent all the dungeons done master mode?)

This is great if and only if there is an expansion in the near future.  The game needs a large scale content additon more then it needs a sliver here and a MM dungeon there.  Kunark (either EQ1 or EQ2) was developed in a year and had *far* more content than this and both games added stuff in the space beforehand as well (though not to the degree Rift has)

3 new alternative warfront modes.

Alternate advancement.

Tons of new gear.

An ENTIRE new continental island.

Entire new crafting outlets.

New open pvp zones.

Uhh yea I've seen expansions with way less content.  I don't know how entitiled people feel but I think considering all of the content that has been added and how much they listen to their player base and all for FREE, I'm grateful, not sitting around saying "That's it?!?!."  So ungracious, I think there is plenty to do especially even now.  As far as marraige is concerned, it's a nice fun feature that can add a social gathering opportunity which was really fun in EQ.  Just like in real life however, if you don't care for it, don't participate in it.  Rift may be a themepark and not entirely new and innovative, but they listen to their players, and they deliver.  I have played every major MMO out there and I have yet to see one that constantly adds more and more new content completely for free. 

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Originally posted by dreamer05

Uhh yea I've seen expansions with way less content.  

outside of the latest EQ2 expansion (which was obviously the higher ups (probably above SoE) needing a year end cash grab)  I have *never* seen an expansion with only 2 dungeons and one zone.  Rift did a lot of refining and repackaging existing content.  And the Alternate Advance so far is a joke, they completely missed the mark *so far* and it screams 'we did this quick to get it out before it was ready without really thinking about it'

No, its not *remotely* an expansion's worth of content.  But keep talking like Ember Island is this *huge* landmass that qualifies as an entire expansion.  Maybe Trion will think its acceptable to release one EI every year and people will say 'wow look at all the content'.

Trion has done a fine job with between expansion content.  But quit the exaggeration already. Dont act like they are giving expansions worth of content for free, because they are *not*, unless your bar is set real low for whats in an expansion.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Marriage is a cool feature. depend if they give something cool with it

What mean is , i think its lineage 2 . when my friend and i got married we wnated to get married  because we could teleport to each other everywhere in the game instantly,

but i dunno if Rift will have this kind of thing but whatever lol

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

what about divorce?

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by dreamer05

Uhh yea I've seen expansions with way less content.  

outside of the latest EQ2 expansion (which was obviously the higher ups (probably above SoE) needing a year end cash grab)  I have *never* seen an expansion with only 2 dungeons and one zone.  Rift did a lot of refining and repackaging existing content.  And the Alternate Advance so far is a joke, they completely missed the mark *so far* and it screams 'we did this quick to get it out before it was ready without really thinking about it'

No, its not *remotely* an expansion's worth of content.  But keep talking like Ember Island is this *huge* landmass that qualifies as an entire expansion.  Maybe Trion will think its acceptable to release one EI every year and people will say 'wow look at all the content'.

Trion has done a fine job with between expansion content.  But quit the exaggeration already. Dont act like they are giving expansions worth of content for free, because they are *not*, unless your bar is set real low for whats in an expansion.

No Ember Isle isn't a HUGE landmass. None of Rift is HUGE.  It is an entire new continent with it's own set of quests.  And no Alternate Advancement wasn't crappy and rushed, it's called balance, they were trying to maintain it.  And yes there were plenty of expansions in plenty of different games that provided way less content than has been added to Rift since launch.

Do you even play Rift?  Cause I've played since beta and I can tell you the amount of content and how much the game has changed is definitely expansion worthy.  Or wait I guess it could be one of the small content updates 'adventure packs' that EQ and WoW charge for?  It's a large amount of content that has been added and not even your uneducated and snarky attitude can deny if we all took the time to write out all the changes and additions.  And guess what?!  IT'S ALL FREE!!!! All this content, free. Free. Free, no charge.  Completely free content.  Imagine that?  Trion listens to their players and gives us what we want to play, for free.  Hmmmm.  Sounds like someone saying 'well so what we should be paying for this, and if we were this wouldn't be enough to pay for......'  Is really running themselves around in circles.  Back to the game, and all that FREE added content.  Goodness there's so much...

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."