Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

megaupload petition

eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I used megavideo/megaupload almost everyday, so obviously I signed the petition, if you used it and would like to do so also then you can at http://www.webpetitions.com/petition/save-and-re-open-megavideo-and-megaupload/8621.  Its only got 70 votes so far and there looking to get a million so they got a ways to go. 

FYI: For those not knowing what hapened, the FBI took down the megaupload websites as well as arrest the owners of it.  The petition is there for those that didnt think they were right in doing that simply put.

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

As things stand, no

If the accusations concerning megaupload are correct, and I have no reason at present to believe they are not, then there is nothing worth saving, and the owners deserve hard time in jail. Protesting against rediculous censorship laws is one thing. I don't even mind the minor copyright and intellectual rights violations big companies get so pissy about for the most part. But not only allowing, but actively encouraging people to blatantly steal and resell a product that companies put time, effort and money into is quite another issue.

IF the accusations are incorrect, that is another issue. But in that case, their innocence is to be determined by the judicial system, not some random petition.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

What do you want to achive with a petition ? Its not just about copyright, its about money laundering and tax fraud with high sums. They had 180$ Million turnover a year and its game over for them.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Its not my petition, I just found it using the search engine.  I make websites, I know how hard it is to start something from nothing, this is just sad to see.   Its not only megaupload they took down, they took down 50 other sites including a video hosting service megavideo, which is like 1 in 10000 video sharing websites on the interent, thats totally blind censorship if you ask me.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by eycel

Its not my petition, I just found it using the search engine.  I make websites, I know how hard it is to start something from nothing, this is just sad to see.   Its not only megaupload they took down, they took down 50 other sites including a video hosting service megavideo, which is like 1 in 10000 video sharing websites on the interent, thats totally blind censorship if you ask me.

Doesn't change our objections. Whether it is your petition or not, you seem to be in support of it, so why save Megaupload in particular? If it truly is blind censorship, there should be at least a few of those sites that are clearly innocent, and we can discuss saving them.

P.S. I don't know about all of  the other sites they took down, but megavideo and megaupload were owned by the same people and are part of the same legal case.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

lol seriously, what do you think a petition is going to do?

Absolutely nothing. This isn't a bill. This isn't a cause. This is a criminal case. You could get everyone in the world outside the government to sign it, all 6.8billion of us and you know what you're going to accomplish? Nothing. Nothing at all.