Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game has too much potential to dismiss so quickly.

Obligatory Disclaimer: These are my personal views and I do not speak for any audience other than myself. Everything here is an opinion, not a fact.

I cant think of a single mmo that was good enough as is at launch. I always stuck around to see what the developers were going to add, fix, expand upon.

SWTOR is no different. I'm enjoying the stuff they got right and I'm waiting for them to fix the stuff they missed or got wrong. Looking forward to seeing the stuff they add and develop into more complete systems.

Most MMO themeparks expand on pvp scenarios, small group content, new storylines, raids, vanity items, abilities, alternate advancement, and added guild utilities. I expect to see this in TOR as well. In fact its already underway.

What gives this game that little extra though is that they also have a few unique systems they can expand upon that other themeparks don't. Crew skills and missions, companions, and space are three aspects of TOR that can set them apart from the pack. Much like Rifts, they can be a signature of this game.

Now whether or not you want to stick around with your sub and see it first hand, or cancel and wait to see if something draws you back in, thats your business. But I see a lot of kneejerk damnations regarding this game. Reality dictates that all mmos take time to develop and mature. Even your favorite upcoming mmo will have a lot of problems at launch and take at least a few months to iron out (sometimes years).

Im not trying to convince anyone to stay. Hell, theres a good chance I'll bail for a while when TSW comes out. But I have no allusions that TOR is somehow a sinking ship. As a fan of the genre, I expect lots of bumps in the road at the beginning. IMO, if you consider yourself an avid MMO gamer, the phrase "too little too late" should not exist in your vernacular.

You can dismiss every game that comes out for not having exactly what you want, when you want. You can wait forever for the perfect MMO to come by. You can scoff at all the "sheep" that throw money at every new mmo that comes out. You can rally against every evil empire that tries to mug you with their obvious cash grab of an mmo.

But you know what you wont be doing? You wont be playing MMOs. Or maybe you'll fall back on your old stand by and sulk. Neither case is really developing your MMO experience imho.

Anyway, I hope whatever you do in gaming as in life, it is rewarding and time well spent. Happy gaming and good luck out there. :)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I loved you in the Lethal Weapon movies. It really put you on the map. The Predator movie was OK...but it was weird that you played nearly the same character.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by lizardbones
    I loved you in the Lethal Weapon movies. It really put you on the map. The Predator movie was OK...but it was weird that you played nearly the same character.

Thanks!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

which is why most people will ignore this game until it improves dramatically and solves all of its problems or goes F2P

it's not worth the prime price of 60$+subscription especially as there are much better products out there for much lesser price

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

Originally posted by lalartu
    which is why most people will ignore this game until it improves dramatically and solves all of its problems or goes F2P
    it's not worth the prime price of 60$+subscription especially as there are much better products out there for much lesser price

That is definitely a sound opinion. I don't fall into that category hehe. I'm more of an MMO early adopter. Some people do it with cars, computers, consoles, tvs, etc. I do it with MMOs :)

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Swtor is a game that People will be going back to in a couple months I'm sure.people just don't want to pay while bio/ea struggle to get their collective heads out of their arses.
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

I'd rephrase this to "which is why  most hardcore mmo players who rush to get to end-game and players who are heavily into PvP will ignore this game until..."

Bioware invested heavily into the 1-50 experience and it's solid. I think a lot of people who love alts and never got a character to max level in WoW will love this game.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I would agree and would hang on, if I didn't dislike SO MANY of the core design decisions that were made, which I don't find and in turn, turn me off the game.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DeaconX
    I would agree and would hang on, if I didn't dislike SO MANY of the core design decisions that were made, which I don't find and in turn, turn me off the game.

Thats fine. There are plenty of people who dont like the fundamental design of this game. If its not for you, its not for you.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Or you could make the simple choice between what is Right and what is Wrong.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Every mmo have potential. As i've said for FFXIV 2.0 and Aion vision trailer. Until they actually delivered, i'm gonna judge it for what it is and not some dream pipe talk of what it will be.

As for ToR, imo bioware still have a lot to learn about how to develope and run an mmo. Their failure to improve WAR after taking over doesn't bode well with your "this game has too much potential" hype

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by DannyGlover

You can dismiss every game that comes out for not having exactly what you want, when you want. You can wait forever for the perfect MMO to come by. You can scoff at all the "sheep" that throw money at every new mmo that comes out. You can rally against every evil empire that tries to mug you with their obvious cash grab of an mmo.

But you know what you wont be doing? You wont be playing MMOs. Or maybe you'll fall back on your old stand by and sulk. Neither case is really developing your MMO experience imho.

I liked this part the most, a lot of punditry is vacuous & has little argumentive substance, along the lines of "IT SUCKS!"....yes, okay but why, in reasoned terms. Some, the minority I might add, is well articulated & clearly thought out - but all of it detracts from actually playing & enjoying an MMO.

I'm happy with the game so far, & as an altoholic very much enjoying multiple characters & the 1-50 story, because I know that part of the game has had the most time spent on it so far, I have however a level 50 raiding in 8 & 16-player Operations (Normal & Hard so far) & have had a run through on Hard Mode of the new Rise of the Rakghouls Flashpoint (only 1 bonus boss skipped, seemed to be overly tough tuned even for the very well geared & experienced players we had).

There's a lot still needed to be put into the game, but work seems to be progressing apace on that.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by lizardbones

Actually, I thought Pred2 was probably his best film.  The scene in the SA consulate in LW2 is priceless tho.

and what do you mean "same character"?  he's a STAR, dude.  not a character actor.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

One thing any veteran MMO player knows - MMO's do not retain players based on potential.

Originally posted by Teala
    One thing any veteran MMO player knows - MMO's do not retain players based on potential.

Actually, yes they do.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Actually, yes they do.

I wouldn't say "players" are retained. You need to play to be a player. If a game isn't fun, but has the potential to be fun, many people won't be playing the game until it is fun. Because those people aren't playing, the game has lost them as a player and a customer.

What are retained from a game's potential of being fun are the fans that think the game will improve if they wait. They don't have to be paying players to be fans.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Quenchster

Actually, yes they do.

I wouldn't say "players" are retained. You need to play to be a player. If a game isn't fun, but has the potential to be fun, many people won't be playing the game until it is fun. Because those people aren't playing, the game has lost them as a player and a customer.

What are retained from a game's potential of being fun are the fans that think the game will improve if they wait. They don't have to be paying players to be fans.

i know when i don't like a game, i end up fading out of it. i might keep it an extra month if i thought it might suddenly get better, but experience tells me it's a rare game which suddenly improves overnight. if the issue was something along the lines of class imbalance or whatever, i might stay a little longer.

an example is wow, of course. they change the stats for "balance" of every class almost every week. so, even if you're under-powered today, give it a few months and you might be the most over-powered class in the game for a few weeks. my personal theory is they do this not to improve "balance" but to mess with the minds of the ragers. you have to agree to that because if they're still tinkering with "balance" this far into their game, then i think they really should sit down one afternoon with their calculators and do it properly, because it's something they should have gotten right a long time ago with their experience in their own game.

but if a game has a critical flaw in design which can't be solved with anything short of an expansion pack, i leave. maybe i wait for an expansion pack and see what happens.

for me, ddo was this way. it was a game i thought had a lot of potential and i REALLY wanted to like. but it felt empty due to the massive instancing and then there was a graphics glitch i couldn't stand where npcs walking too close to, say, a barrel, would suddenly walk up the barrel with a shudder. a few small problems with animations drove me crazy. and i know that sounds like i'm really picky, but i was playing a rogue and needed to often look at things. it drove me batty to see a mob walking on each other's head.

i still look at it now and then, and once played it again for a few weeks and had a reasonable time with it.

i think if a gamer sees it as having potential, that's more what they do. put it down and maybe check it out after the next expansion, or some major update which offers to add a reasonable fix for their issue.

the kids, of course, don't do that. they run to the nearest forum and scorch of an "i quit" post which they think will get them 1,000 replies of, "oh noes! you do? that means i have to, too!"

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Can you name a better MMO available right now other than World of Warcraft? I can't even begin to consider one. Why? Because there are no better MMO's than those two right now, unless you are part of a niche audience. 

The only one I can think of you mentioning is Rift, but it's such a bad clone of World of Warcraft that it should never be mentioned.

The Secret World, Tera, Arche Age and a few others might change this, but not available right now.

Then again, that's just my opinion, as yours was stated above.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by kartool

I'd rephrase this to "which is why  most hardcore mmo players who rush to get to end-game and players who are heavily into PvP will ignore this game until..."

Bioware invested heavily into the 1-50 experience and it's solid. I think a lot of people who love alts and never got a character to max level in WoW will love this game.

I agree. I wont play another mmo that doesn't care about 1-50. The wow thing though, I'm not so sure that blizzard cared about the leveling process in a long time though, heck they even started some classes at level 50 or whatever. Nice to see a theme park care about this though, usually it's only sandboxes that get intricate and deep in the beginning and middle.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

A lump of coal has potential to be a diamond.

And the fact is every MMO just released has potential. The talk of potential is a kiss of death.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by Valua

Can you name a better MMO available right now other than World of Warcraft? I can't even begin to consider one. Why? Because there are no better MMO's than those two right now, unless you are part of a niche audience. 

The only one I can think of you mentioning is Rift, but it's such a bad clone of World of Warcraft that it should never be mentioned.

The Secret World, Tera, Arche Age and a few others might change this, but not available right now.

Then again, that's just my opinion, as yours was stated above.

Yeah, youre right only Rift and WoW are on the same level.

True, swtor has pvp bugs and fps issues. But i know it will be fixed, because wow ttok like 3-6 months before being any good. So this should have the same timeframe to improve.

Im still playing it, not as much as i would like, but i ahve game slike FM2012, Skrym, and online poker to play so i only play it like 10 hours total for a week.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Another thing any veteran MMO player knows - Players go back to games to see if they have improved/changed like they'd like. So if a person leaves because of some potential feature that  could be reality sooner or later there's a good chance he is a paying customer once again.

Though it feels like game companies does not look into this possibility to re-gain players too much, I've yet to see a mmorpg that truly mobilizes it's hibernating potential instead of spending most time and resources on more generic and uninteresting stuff after the launch.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by Kuinn

Another thing any veteran MMO player knows - Players go back to games to see if they have improved/changed like they'd like. So if a person leaves because of some potential feature that  could be reality sooner or later there's a good chance he is a paying customer once again.

Though it feels like game companies does not look into this possibility to re-gain players too much, I've yet to see a mmorpg that truly mobilizes it's hibernating potential instead of spending most time and resources on more generic and uninteresting stuff after the launch.

Not always true if new stuff is coming out that pulls the vet in instead.

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90

I don't pay a subscription for a game that has potential to be great.  If it was a one time purchase I might consider buying it before it's fully refined.  But I would never pay a subscription for a subpar or somehow otherwise lacking game. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

You can dismiss every game that comes out for not having exactly what you want, when you want. You can wait forever for the perfect MMO to come by. You can scoff at all the "sheep" that throw money at every new mmo that comes out. You can rally against every evil empire that tries to mug you with their obvious cash grab of an mmo.But you know what you wont be doing? You wont be playing MMOs. Or maybe you'll fall back on your old stand by and sulk. Neither case is really developing your MMO experience imho.
    Dismissing big-budget play-it-safe titles does not mean you won't be playing MMOs. Not at all. I dismissed SW:TOR as derivative tosh during beta, and since then I've checked out several (free) titles which were all very different from each other, from SW:TOR, and from the games that SW:TOR is imitating.

One of them, Uncharted Waters Online, has hooked me in this last month. It's not perfect, and it's certainly not a big budget AAA polished-to-a-fine-sheen title. But it's different, it's imaginative, it has mechanics that I find innovative, and I'm enjoying it.

Originally posted by Banquetto
    You can dismiss every game that comes out for not having exactly what you want, when you want. You can wait forever for the perfect MMO to come by. You can scoff at all the "sheep" that throw money at every new mmo that comes out. You can rally against every evil empire that tries to mug you with their obvious cash grab of an mmo.But you know what you wont be doing? You wont be playing MMOs. Or maybe you'll fall back on your old stand by and sulk. Neither case is really developing your MMO experience imho.
    Dismissing big-budget play-it-safe titles does not mean you won't be playing MMOs. Not at all. I dismissed SW:TOR as derivative tosh during beta, and since then I've checked out several (free) titles which were all very different from each other, from SW:TOR, and from the games that SW:TOR is imitating.

One of them, Uncharted Waters Online, has hooked me in this last month. It's not perfect, and it's certainly not a big budget AAA polished-to-a-fine-sheen title. But it's different, it's imaginative, it has mechanics that I find innovative, and I'm enjoying it.

UWO is a big budget AAA title from a huge game dev. Im glad you're enjoying it. Quizzical has written some things about it that are tempting me to give it a try.