Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Craft and Items in Archeage

AinesAines Member UncommonPosts: 46

I came across a russian website which closely follows Archeage and even have some members of the community which are participating in the beta. In their report it says that crafting involves failure, in other words, if you want to create or updrage an item, it may fail and everything will disappear (the item itself and the rest that is needed to upgrade). Another thing that caught my eye is how items break. For example you have an item with 3/3 durability...you wear it, die a couple of times (I think that when you die there is a chance nothing happens to your items or their durability goes to 1 or it substracs 1 (had 3 before you died, 2 after)) in the end you bring it to 0/3. When you repair it, the item's durability is 2/2, etc...till it becomes 0/1 and the item is then useless. Has anyone else heard about that or what do you think? I think that's something I would like to have in a game.

Comments

• myrmxmyrmx Member Posts: 93

Unsure how it works in Archeage but this is a mechanic used in plenty of free to play asian mmo . Not sure if it means anything for Archeage but it's a system that is usually accompanied with items that protect the failure ( obviously only available in the cash shop).

One example i can remember is dragon nest where you can upgrade gear all the way to +13 but items can fail , using jellies that you buy on the cash shop you can protect your item against destruction .

• AinesAines Member UncommonPosts: 46

Originally posted by myrmx

Unsure how it works in Archeage but this is a mechanic used in plenty of free to play asian mmo . Not sure if it means anything for Archeage but it's a system that is usually accompanied with items that protect the failure ( obviously only available in the cash shop).

One example i can remember is dragon nest where you can upgrade gear all the way to +13 but items can fail , using jellies that you buy on the cash shop you can protect your item against destruction .

What i picked up from their report is that they are about level 40, and they wanted to upgrade a good item for them from level from 5 to 6 and it failed. So I guess upgrading something at level let's just say 60 from 2 to 3 wil inlove much more failure. Probably the chance of failure is going to scale a lot with the item lvl

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013

Originally posted by Aines

I came across a russian website which closely follows Archeage and even have some members of the community which are participating in the beta. In their report it says that crafting involves failure, in other words, if you want to create or updrage an item, it may fail and everything will disappear (the item itself and the rest that is needed to upgrade). Another thing that caught my eye is how items break. For example you have an item with 3/3 durability...you wear it, die a couple of times (I think that when you die there is a chance nothing happens to your items or their durability goes to 1 or it substracs 1 (had 3 before you died, 2 after)) in the end you bring it to 0/3. When you repair it, the item's durability is 2/2, etc...till it becomes 0/1 and the item is then useless. Has anyone else heard about that or what do you think? I think that's something I would like to have in a game.

It's sort of like Lineage 2.

When you wanted to enhance an item there was a chance it would fail and the item would crystalize. you would get some crystals back but not enough to equal the item's worth.

quite frankly I like this mechanic but it's not for everyone.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Are you sure you're not watching a Dragon nest thread because frankly that sound exactly like dragon nest system where the higher you become the harder it is to upgrade items and they also start having a chance to break at +5 -> +6 .

• AinesAines Member UncommonPosts: 46

Are you sure you're not watching a Dragon nest thread because frankly that sound exactly like dragon nest system where the higher you become the harder it is to upgrade items and they also start having a chance to break at +5 -> +6 .

Looks like I'm in the right place. Well, I have seen thinks like that before. As the post above says, Lineage2 would be a good example. However, since it's still in beta, I'm not sure if that's how things are going to work, so I decided to ask if other people know anything about that and at the same time ask for everyone's opinion on the matter :)

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I'm all for item decay on death or extended use. And I'm also a fan of crafting failures. It helps maintain a healthy ebb and flow of game currency.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Vindictus uses something like that, it's possible to enchant (upgrade) an item and to simply break it, it's gone after that.

It's something I don't like and it's often used in F2P games as ploy to make you buy durability potions or items that stop your item from breaking through the cash shop.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by Aines

this is preNGE SWG model and it WORKS economy would be very healthy and finaly someone realized it

I don't agree with the economy arguments, the solution to that is to limit the amount of times an item can be traded. An item actually breaking is usually used as a ploy to extend the gameplay or to make you buy items from a cash shop.

Aye, that's the real reason it's used in MMO. If a cash shop game doesn't have that item yet at launch, they will introduce it guaranteed at a later date.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by CalmOceans

Aye, that's the real reason it's used in MMO. If a cash shop game doesn't have that item yet at launch, they will introduce it guaranteed at a later date.

I hope AA will not be f2p / cash shop game, at least in EU or NA.

-----------

Anyway I actually like this system. It create better economy. Well of course if there is no cash shop, cause then it is just money grab.

it's a very good system and one could even argue that adding another depth such as what swtor did with the "critical" where sometimes the item you craft gain an additional perks.

Basically it's a simply feature to further enhance the item pool along with rarity of items while at the same time keeping the item creation to a lower time consumptionl , allowing developper to create more for less... Unless used in a F2P game where it's simply for grabbing as much cash from people who thrive on being the best .

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

I really doubt if the items can be destroyed after several repairs - I don't think they have announced something official about this. In my opinion it would be very interesting to be implemented and would enhance the player-driven economy. Although, here is an official word from Jake Song (CEO of XL Games) from his interview at September 21st 2011.

(From Massively)

Q:Is item decay in the game? For example, does a player's sword wear out to the point where he'll need to obtain a new one from either a monster drop or a player crafter? If decay isn't in the game, how does the dev team plan to address economic inflation?

A:Items can be damaged or lost while crafting. The item would have to be repaired after use, but a durability decrease won't make the item vanish or get damaged. Economic inflation in the game will be controlled by taxes, repair fees, consumables, and so on.

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Sounds like Ragnarok crafting aswell. couldent craft and item but you could upgrade them. After +4then the chance to break would get higher and higher

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by Manasu

I really doubt if the items can be destroyed after several repairs - I don't think they have announced something official about this. In my opinion it would be very interesting to be implemented and would enhance the player-driven economy. Although, here is an official word from Jake Song (CEO of XL Games) from his interview at September 21st 2011.

(From Massively)

Q:Is item decay in the game? For example, does a player's sword wear out to the point where he'll need to obtain a new one from either a monster drop or a player crafter? If decay isn't in the game, how does the dev team plan to address economic inflation?

A:Items can be damaged or lost while crafting. The item would have to be repaired after use, but a durability decrease won't make the item vanish or get damaged. Economic inflation in the game will be controlled by taxes, repair fees, consumables, and so on.

^This. Also is there anyone from our CBT4 players that can infact conferm item loss on upgrading and or crafting mistakes?

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

That is the best mechanic to make crafting a viable role to play in the game. If items break, crafters will always be in demand.