Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I thought that EVE was good...

Comments

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by noseforauto

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

... but it sounds bad.

It's a preference! Maybe this game is just not for you.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

Check the date

3 SEPTEMBER 2008

Being a member of a number of forums, mostly based around games, I have to say that I have seen this posted at least once a month for the past 4yrs. Eve 4yrs ago is not what it is today. Eve 7yrs ago (when I first started the first time) is not what it was 4yrs ago. In 4yrs, EVE will not be what it is today. 

Either way, it's a dead horse and has been posted countless number of times. I'm sure if you click a few pages back here, you will see at least 1 post with this in it.... unless MMORPG.com just deletes them. 

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Slowdoves

... but it sounds bad.

Exactly, it's a preference. Like how normal people enjoy fun, good sex, and relaxing, and EVE people enjoy boredom, masochism, and getting tense over nothing. No reason to ostrasize them.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

it's not really a preference as much as a game that takes time to grow on you

and once it does, you'll never quit it

I tried the trial 3 times before  I finally fell in love with it.

it seemed boring at first and I hated the controls, but once you realize the limitless possibilities the game has, you'll get hooked

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• noseforautonoseforauto Member Posts: 46

... but it sounds bad.

Did you watch the review? There's actually a part in it that says that if you think EVE is fun, then you are provably wrong. That sounds pretty objective to me.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

... but it sounds bad.

Did you watch the review? There's actually a part in it that says that if you think EVE is fun, then you are provably wrong. That sounds pretty objective to me.

I can give you a review and tell you that SWTOR and WOW are fun, but you could say other wise based on your experiance or somebody elses.

EvE may not be fun for this cat, it sure is or was for someone else.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    dont feed 7 posts trolls

BestSigEver :P

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

... but it sounds bad.

Dont know but I personally agree with almost everything he said.

Boring turnbased combat.

Reward people for NOT playing the game (i.e. automatic skill learning that you cannot actively do anything about)

Boring space with lots of boring rocks

Boring PvE missions

Can't leave your ship (except the recently introduced instanced, single player station walking which serves no purpose)

Too many skills with weird non-intuitive names

Non untuitive UI

Takes forever to get anywhere

However he is wrong that this game is anything like WoW. This game is definetely for the nische crowd, just not sure which nische. I just get bored everytime I try it.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

This is an EVE quality troll poast. Never stop trawling.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Saw that video review. Damn is that dude clueless, and probably has the IQ of a mule's ass if he can't read a simple skill description info window and understand what it does.

Where's the any key?

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Saw that video review. Damn is that dude clueless, and probably has the IQ of a mule's ass if he can't read a simple skill description info window and understand what it does.

Right, like EVE players are geniuses. Sorry but he was spot on. It's a boring game with a bunch of worthless techno-babble that even if you understand the words they are meaningless.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Using a Yahtzee review as basis for your opinion of a game = fail.  Using a Yahtzee review as entertainment = win.  Every Wednesday he comes out with a new game review in which he tears into said game.  He's been doing this for years and he is HILARIOUS.  An internet MUST.  Does he have valid points? Of course.  Did he only play EvE for a few weeks?  Heh, if he made it past one week I'd be surprised.

In closing, watch all of his game reviews.  Hilarious, awesome, badass = all terms that come to mind when I think of Zero Punctuation/Yahtzee reviews.  Take em with a grain of salt cause he'll murder your favorite game (and he'll be right, mostly).

Cheers!

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Thanks for reminding me about Yahtzee, i used to watch every single review of his. English dry wit is just up my street. It's basically how most english criticise things, complete dry wit, sarcasm and depression.

Doesn't work in America though, they actually think you are being aggressive, as it's joking, but not making it sound as such, you have to interpret it that way.

Was with an american in London a couple of months ago, she was shocked how 'mean' we were to each other, couldn't understand it was just dry humour lol.

• alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

its all about the corp's

when you become a useful member of a corp and take part in operations within the corp it gets excellent

my corp went out on an expedition and encountered a battleship, there was a few minutes of communication going on between our ceo and the pilot of the battleship, think of it like when a russian ship turns up in US water, us being hte russians...

the whole situation blew over, not a shot fired, but we at least locked on once ready to engage, the whole scenario was very tense, expecting to be jumped by some far off attackers, its unexplainable really how a player driven game works until you get into the midst of it

In theory it's all great, but visually it's so dull, that's the problem. You may aswell just be given a excel workbook to play with. The systems, mechanics and UI are amazing, best available, but i can't just sit there, looking at my ship, occasionally someone elses, on a black wallpaper.

Thats the issue for most, nothing to do with complexity, it's actually about as complex as this forum. But it feels very very lifeless 90% of the time and these battles happen once in a blue moon.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by Vegetto

In theory it's all great, but visually it's so dull, that's the problem. You may aswell just be given a excel workbook to play with. The systems, mechanics and UI are amazing, best available, but i can't just sit there, looking at my ship, occasionally someone elses, on a black wallpaper.

Thats the issue for most, nothing to do with complexity, it's actually about as complex as this forum. But it feels very very lifeless 90% of the time and these battles happen once in a blue moon.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Are you mad because you tried EVE and failed? I noticed your cute little comments in the 2011 MMORPG.com Players' Choice contest results. Seems like someone has a raging anti-EVE agenda.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I'd have to agree with the other guy here.

Eve is complex and may feel like a spread sheet at first until you realize how it's more of a strategy game when it comes to battles and not a space sim.

The amount of "abilities" in Eve is mind blowing so there are dozens if not hundreds of ways of winning the same battle.

also, battle happen very often in eve and more often than I wish to be honest because I'm more of a care bear than an extreme pvper and often try to sneak past the annoying pirates when I can.

and if nothign else works and you want to avoid the fighting, exploration in that game is unique, difficult and rewarding, planet colonization is pretty neat too as are all other features.

there's a reason why eve is the one of only two mmos that's been consistently growing in size and I think that reason is that the game is actually very solid and offers a lot for everyone (the other MMO is Second Life and I could never understand why...but that's another story).

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Are you mad because you tried EVE and failed? I noticed your cute little comments in the 2011 MMORPG.com Players' Choice contest results. Seems like someone has a raging anti-EVE agenda.

Or maybe they just dont like it?

Originally posted by alanthecelt

its all about the corp's

when you become a useful member of a corp and take part in operations within the corp it gets excellent

my corp went out on an expedition and encountered a battleship, there was a few minutes of communication going on between our ceo and the pilot of the battleship, think of it like when a russian ship turns up in US water, us being hte russians...

the whole situation blew over, not a shot fired, but we at least locked on once ready to engage, the whole scenario was very tense, expecting to be jumped by some far off attackers, its unexplainable really how a player driven game works until you get into the midst of it

You make it sound like a battleships is something massive. They get popped so easily it is not even funny.

Originally posted by Yamota

Except that his criticisms are objectively ridiculous on several different fronts, and his comments on the MMORPG.com Players' Choice results are simply petty — i.e., claiming EVE only won because EVE communities linked to the contest. That's just dumb when you consider that 1.) other MMO communities are perfectly capable of doing the same, and 2.) only a small portion of EVE's already compact player base are actually active on the official forums or Failheap Challenge.

As for why Vegetto's criticisms fail, I'll break them down for you:

Dull visuals — people are entitled to their opinions, but "black space"? Try a wide variety of nebulae in the background, asteroid fields, planets, moons, stargates, wormholes, warp tunnels, space stations, scenery during missions, etc. It's a spacefaring game. The environment isn't going to be packed with "stuff" 100% of the time on every screen. Also, the visual design is some of the best in the industry.

UI is best available — Bullcrap, every EVE player complains about the archaic UI. This is a sure sign of someone who's pretending to praise a few good points to make himself more believable while peddling nonsense criticisms.

May as well just be given an Excel workbook — Should have stopped reading there to be honest. This is a stereotype by now, perpetrated and parroted by mindless EVE haters. No one who has played the game for a month or more feels this way.

Not actually complex, only seems that way — Sure sign of a carebear who never left his comfort zone.

Feels lifeless 90% of the time — You're doing it wrong. If you want constant activity, there are corps and alliances who offer frequent or even constant fights and excitement.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

please don't forget, the reviewer in the vid is reviewing the 2008 eve.  it's 2012 now.  it's similar but certainly more new player friendly and there are a lot more interesting activities pvp wise and story wise than there were in 2008.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by itchmon

it's similar but certainly more new player friendly....

If you're referring to the skill queue, the removal of learning skills and the evolution of out-of-game resources and applications, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

If you're referring to the ability of new players to be upwardly mobile, I disagree. Nullsec bittervets and PvPers in general are more elitist and paranoid than ever. The price of entry for the (fairly) new Incursion content is also quite high.

I half-expect Malcanis to pop in here and present eloquent arguments and biased, out-of-context examples (TEST is new-player friendly [but you have to be a Redditor]! We invited a brand-new player to our alliance [but he was a personal friend of a director IRL]!), but no matter. Old-guard EVE players can't be bothered with rookies anymore.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by itchmon

it's similar but certainly more new player friendly....

If you're referring to the skill queue, the removal of learning skills and the evolution of out-of-game resources and applications, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

If you're referring to the ability of new players to be upwardly mobile, I disagree. Nullsec bittervets and PvPers in general are more elitist and paranoid than ever. The price of entry for the (fairly) new Incursion content is also quite high.

I half-expect Malcanis to pop in here and present eloquent arguments and biased, out-of-context examples (TEST is new-player friendly [but you have to be a Redditor]! We invited a brand-new player to our alliance [but he was a personal friend of a director IRL]!), but no matter. Old-guard EVE players can't be bothered with rookies anymore.

Its not hard to be a reddit user, lots of nullsec alliances have training wings where the only requirements are a low number of skill points and a willingness to learn.

Originally posted by YamotaOr maybe they just dont like it?

Except that his criticisms are objectively ridiculous on several different fronts, and his comments on the MMORPG.com Players' Choice results are simply petty — i.e., claiming EVE only won because EVE communities linked to the contest. That's just dumb when you consider that 1.) other MMO communities are perfectly capable of doing the same, and 2.) only a small portion of EVE's already compact player base are actually active on the official forums or Failheap Challenge.

Dull visuals — people are entitled to their opinions, but "black space"? Try a wide variety of nebulae in the background, asteroid fields, planets, moons, stargates, wormholes, warp tunnels, space stations, scenery during missions, etc. It's a spacefaring game. The environment isn't going to be packed with "stuff" 100% of the time on every screen. Also, the visual design is some of the best in the industry.

UI is best available — Bullcrap, every EVE player complains about the archaic UI. This is a sure sign of someone who's pretending to praise a few good points to make himself more believable while peddling nonsense criticisms.

May as well just be given an Excel workbook — Should have stopped reading there to be honest. This is a stereotype by now, perpetrated and parroted by mindless EVE haters. No one who has played the game for a month or more feels this way.

Not actually complex, only seems that way — Sure sign of a carebear who never left his comfort zone.

Feels lifeless 90% of the time — You're doing it wrong. If you want constant activity, there are corps and alliances who offer frequent or even constant fights and excitement.

I say UI visuals are good, its bullcrap, i say visuals are not good, it's bullcrap.

I play the game, i have no hidden agenda, this is what 99.7% of the 100 million strong MMO market think of this game.

I have tried every mechanic in the game, joined every type of corp, pirate, low sec, high sec, mining, null sec, faction warfare. Traded, crafted, played the market. Travelled far and wide.

there is no such thing as constant fights in EvE, you are lying, even a rabid fanboi wouldn't be so stupid to make this claim, gatecamping isn't fighting and alliance fights are how often? I know its the EvE forum, but jesus, most people on MMORPG have tried this game, why lie.

Originally posted by Yamota

His opinions dont need to be objective for him to not liking it. For example I would say that the UI is garbage but I am still bored by this game. The visuals, altough pretty are not very interesting, it is mostly dark and there are no space physics in this game. I also agree with the excel part, but that is because of the crappy UI.

In any case, just because we dont like the game does not mean we have some hidden agenda. We simply dont enjoy playing it and as these are not the official forums we are allowed to say that here.