Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ned help with AM3+motherboard

jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

Hello,

as in topic, I need to choose motherboards with am3+ socket. The rest of the pc will look like this:

- radeon 5850 (will be replaced with 6950)

- phenom 960t/ 1090t or fx-8120

- 550W XFX core powersuply

-1 TB caviar black hdd

- 4gb 1600 ram (patriot gaming series)

this pc will be used for work (some programming) and games. I will not use sli/ crossfire, for sure I will OC the cpu (but not hardcore oc, I will by some good air cooler for cpu) so I need some good power section. I don't need e-sata etc.

I was thinkimg about :

- Gigabyte GA 990XA- UD3

- MSI 990XA-GD55

- MSI 990FXA-GD65

or mybe some thing else?

The best idea would be Asus 990FX sabertooth, but it seems a bit too expensive (in Poland;)). In other words I need solid 1GPU AM3+ mobo with good power section ;)

Thx for help

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The only difference between AMD's 970, 990X, and 990FX chipsets is PCI Express bandwidth.  They can do CrossFire with x16/x4, x8/x8, and x16/x16 bandwidth, respectively.  Nvidia disables SLI on the first of those, but allows it on the others.  If you're not going to use CrossFire or SLI, then they're all the same.  So you might as well save some money and get a 970 chipset motherboard instead.

Well, except that motherboard manufacturers that go cheaper in one area tend to go cheaper everywhere, so none of the 970 chipset motherboards are really that great for overclocking.  The Asus M5A99X Evo, MSI 990XA-GD55, and Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 all have plenty of power circuitry, and should let you get a pretty nice overclock.  There's really no sense in getting a 990FX motherboard unless it's cheaper than the 990X options, which would be very unusual, as that's AMD's high end chipset, so they charge a lot for it.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Also, you should note that a Radeon HD 6950 isn't that much faster than a Radeon HD 5850.  That was the generation where AMD moved from "8" to "9" to designate their top end single GPU, so it's really just a generation later of the same performance slot.  A 6950 is maybe 20%-30% faster than a 5850, which isn't enough to justify buying a new 6950 to upgrade.

The power supply has plenty of power for that system at stock speeds, but if you're looking to overclock the processor very far (loosely, if you're increasing the voltage and not just the clock speed), then you might want to look for something stronger.

You might also want to get 8 GB of memory, just because it's so cheap.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

Thank you very much for help :)