Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 requires Origin

UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216562p1.html

Oh lovely. Like EA wasn't bad enough with SWTOR, now they're forcing Origin down our throats. Are they on a crusade to piss off as many PC gamers as possible or something?

Comments

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

2012's most pirated game.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

I liked the two first games, but not enough to make me install origin.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I don't think you have much to worry.  {mod edit}

Personally I don't have a problem with Origin though. Cheaper games than Steam (generally) and faster downloads.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Remember, Bioware becoming a part of EA will change absolutely nothing what-so-ever. All you critics who believe that EA will somehow negatively influence Bioware releases are stupid.

Signed,

Every Bioware fanboy in 2009 after the merger.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

haha this is going to be the most pirated game 2012 and we only needed two weeks in the new year for that. Bioware next time think about the company before selling everything and go downhill like Westwood, Origin and so many others did.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

people upset at this r being downright ridiculous. for one thing my gf has origin on her computer and hasnt had any issues. 

its not like facebook which i bet most of u have where they sell your personal info to ad guys.

They use info they gather for there own and sell numbers like 47 pct of our users like this. 

Facebook , google, all those types of things sell your personal info to advertisers and origin doesnt do that. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

And since the world did not end with the BF3/Origin thingie i feel that it will most likley survive this too.

I for one is getting the CE, mostly because i have used the EADM/EAStore/Origin for many years nad have had no problem what so ever.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by kalinis

people upset at this r being downright ridiculous. for one thing my gf has origin on her computer and hasnt had any issues. 

its not like facebook which i bet most of u have where they sell your personal info to ad guys.

They use info they gather for there own and sell numbers like 47 pct of our users like this. 

Facebook , google, all those types of things sell your personal info to advertisers and origin doesnt do that. 

fine install that spyware and then use process monitor x64 you might be surprised at how many influences Origin does.

After all its an offline game so people shouldn't have to use spyware in order to play it, period.

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Why not? in order to play blizzard games players have to use battle.net, alot of companies are going this route. i probably have spyware on my computer im unaware of just visiting sites like this one.

Im not saying thats good or bad, im just pointing out that spyware is everywhere, u cant get away from it, its not worse then what facebook, google and sites like that use. 

u are acting like battle.net and others dont do similar things, the only diffrence is ea is upfront about it with there origin client where as battle.net, facebook and them do it secretly without u knowing.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Isn't Steam sort of the same? Everyone using Steam or Facebook and complaining about this is using double standards, I think.

I don't know, maybe I read it wrong, but from what I understood from that link is you register 1 time at Origin for validation, and that's it, you're done with Origin for ME3, unless you want to play multiplayer.

Blizzard doesn't exist anymore, they've been Activisioned but to answer your question nope. I dont use facebook, battle.net, Steam or Origin.

If its an OFFline game Im not going to install spyware on my pc.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

ah hypocrisy at its finest, whine whine whine about this, but nothing about Valve, a comapny whos been doing the EXACT SAME THING for almost a decade.

Nothing but more mindless EA hate.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by warmaster670

ah hypocrisy at its finest, whine whine whine about this, but nothing about Valve, a comapny whos been doing the EXACT SAME THING for almost a decade.

Originally posted by Drakxii

Ah yes the rightsous pirates who look for whatever excuse they can come up with for why tehre stealing tehre games, whatever lies they have to tell themselves to make them feal better.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yeah most companies want to 'bundle' things + sort of monopolize and tie software they sell to themselves to maximize profits.

All this is because of tremendous Apple business model success. 

Apple tie software+ hardware + control content Apple users buy though things like iTunes and similar and their profits have skyrocketed.

Google did simlarly with Android market , just without hardware and leaving more freedom to users.

Blizzard do simialrly with battle.net

Valve with steam.

Microsoft will do with Windows 8 and Microsoft Store and I would not be surprised if all future Microsfot games would need to be bought / installed through special installed(or inbuild in Windows 8 case) Microsfot Store app.

Then OnLive want to serve content in cloud remotely and they will have total control of content they sell , including psychicall control.

I would not be surprised if in future all bigger companies did like that.

Awful just awful.

Oligopolies :/

Originally posted by DerWotan

Originally posted by kalinis

fine install that spyware and then use process monitor x64 you might be surprised at how many influences Origin does.

After all its an offline game so people shouldn't have to use spyware in order to play it, period.

sorry, calling something spyware doesnt make it spyware.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

EA deserves the hate. 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/24/eas-origin-eula-proves-even-more-sinister/

Before two months the internet was full of these reports. Yes, they have changed their TOS but I for one will not support this kind of plans and the Evil behind it.

Originally posted by DerWotan

Originally posted by Drakxii

Ah yes the rightsous pirates who look for whatever excuse they can come up with for why tehre stealing tehre games, whatever lies they have to tell themselves to make them feal better.

{mod edit}

Proof someone has no argument, they try to call you a kid to invalidate your point, except all it does is prove you have no argument,, {mod edit}

BTW, proper typing is for people i care about.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

You guys who don't understand the Origin hate need to school yourselves before you sound off on the internet and sound like a bunch of retards.

1)  EA Origin already has a history of messing up launches.  BF3 is the most recent example of a big name flub due to the Origin software.  

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2011/11/02/ea-responds-to-battlefield-3s-launch-issues-considers-player-compensation/

2)  EA Origin has had some serious EULA issues.  They had it in the past and because of people throwing up a fuss, they changed it.  Somewhat.  I highly recommend reading their EULA.  It's kinda scary.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield-3/news/6331203/ea-changes-origin-eula

3)  Yes, yes.  Valve has done the same thing for 8+ years.  Why can't EA have their own?  Well sure, the could, but ultimately they're doing it because of greed.  They don't want to cut Valve in for providing a service.  And unlike Origins, Valve is ESTABLISHED.  Like it or not, that counts.  You don't buy your iPad apps from Amazon, you buy them from iTunes.  I don't but stuff from Origins.  PERIOD.    Now, the OFFICIAL problem is the EA would be required to put all patches on Steam, all DLC on Steam, and keep everything in one location.  For the convenience of the player, Valve does this.  If you don't remember the old days of having to download a ton of patches from a bunch of different sites just to get a game patched.

http://www.gamefront.com/ea-pulls-crysis-2-from-steam-say-its-origin-only/

4)  Q: Will my game download ever expire? 

A: Digital download rights remain available for at least one year after purchase. Origin typically doesn’t retire games, and we’ve only retired around 10 of the 150 games we sell, and these have generally been because of the expiration of licensing rights. If you come across an issue, simply contact Origin Help and we'll reconfigure things for you. 

https://help.ea.com/article/origin-faq

And if you don't think EA will shut this crap down on you in a heartbeat just look at the recent shutdowns:

http://games.ign.com/articles/118/1181839p1.html

Originally posted by Ikeda  And unlike Origins, Valve is ESTABLISHED. 

Comparing a company to a program? desperate much? whether you like EA or not there established just fine.

Originally posted by Ikeda

And if you don't think EA will shut this crap down on you in a heartbeat just look at the recent shutdowns:

http://games.ign.com/articles/118/1181839p1.html

Now you must be really desperate, unless somehow you expect a game company to keep its  servers going forever, wheres your hate for the other companies that shut down old games like that? oh wait, there not EA so it doesnt count.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Sigh.....

Another game to be pirated. Hope one day publishers will be smart and make me not to do this.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Comparing a company to a program? desperate much? whether you like EA or not there established just fine.

He obviously meant Steam.

And good job completely ignoring valid, well-supported points to focus on one single sentence that was utlimately of no consequence anyway.

Originally posted by dzoni87

Sigh.....

Another game to be pirated. Hope one day publishers will be smart and make me not to do this.

Make? nice excuse there, no ones making you do anything, if you didnt like it, you dont play it.

saying there making you pirate it quite frankly makes you a fucking idiot, plain and simple.

Originally posted by TGSOL

He obviously meant Steam.

And good job completely ignoring valid, well-supported points to focus on one single sentence that was utlimately of no consequence anyway.

How would you know whether i ignored them or not? did you watch me read it? no?

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by dzoni87

Sigh.....

I am pretty sure there will be a no origin crack similar to BF3

http://www.gamefront.com/crack-lets-you-play-battlefield-3-without-origin/