Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EvE a growing game?

Seven77Seven77 Member Posts: 38

As in the amount of players, or is it losing players? Just out of curiousty. I've been gone for awhile and thinking about coming back.

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I think eve is one of the few mmo that is still growing.

Although I think they lost a bunch recently with a porrly thought out expansion

• Seven77Seven77 Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Karahandras

I think eve is one of the few mmo that is still growing.

Although I think they lost a bunch recently with a porrly thought out expansion

Could you elaborate about this expansion, why was it poorly thought out did they make game breaking mistakes?

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Do You Wish To Know More?

[x] Yes

[ ] No

As you have chosen yes i would suggest you google for Monoclegate and Greed is Good + Eve online.

Oh and maybe 18 months + Eve Online too.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

It really depends on the time of the year to be honest. The game has a heavy ebb and flow effect that you will notice if you play for a time. During the winter monthes the population skyrockets because of the increased time people spend indoors. Eve is extremely time consuming so the winter monthes benefit it. During the spring/summer monthes the population tends to drop by a decent margin.

To answers your question more concisely. I think it is an ever growing game but the size of the growth depends on the time of the year as I stated earlier.

The latest expansion caused quite a bit of trouble because it was pretty badly thought out / launched. The expansion released walking around in stations. in concept it sounds like an awesome idea. in reality all it let you do was walk around in your captain's quarters which is basicly a small room with a view of your ship. This new feature caused crippling lag in many systems and made some parts of the game near unplayable for some. Many called this "fluff" and unfruitful for the game especially when a large part of the community is unhappy with the current balancing of the game. Moar super caps makes things go boom basicly.

Regardless of all this. The game is still really fun and they are slowly improving things.

From a long time eve player

Best wishes

Saint

• Seven77Seven77 Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Twistingfate

It really depends on the time of the year to be honest. The game has a heavy ebb and flow effect that you will notice if you play for a time. During the winter monthes the population skyrockets because of the increased time people spend indoors. Eve is extremely time consuming so the winter monthes benefit it. During the spring/summer monthes the population tends to drop by a decent margin.

To answers your question more concisely. I think it is an ever growing game but the size of the growth depends on the time of the year as I stated earlier.

The latest expansion caused quite a bit of trouble because it was pretty badly thought out / launched. The expansion released walking around in stations. in concept it sounds like an awesome idea. in reality all it let you do was walk around in your captain's quarters which is basicly a small room with a view of your ship. This new feature caused crippling lag in many systems and made some parts of the game near unplayable for some. Many called this "fluff" and unfruitful for the game especially when a large part of the community is unhappy with the current balancing of the game. Moar super caps makes things go boom basicly.

Regardless of all this. The game is still really fun and they are slowly improving things.

From a long time eve player

Best wishes

Saint

Thanks for the summary , I think I'm going to go resub.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

No problem. I think you will enjoy returning to EVE and I wish you the best in your adventures. Its one of my favorite games so its nice to help people decide if they are on the fence to sub or not :)

Fly safe

Saint

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

Always a good site to post every 5 or so times this same thread is posted.  :p

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

After the year has turned around, it is safe to say that EVE is losing subs after long years of steady growth.

Last two expansions were failure on many different levels and they did not help to retain or even acquire new subscribers.

Only time will tell...

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I think some veteran players maybe getting bored.

But recently I've been running tutorial missions to fix my standings and in each system I went to I saw new players asking basic 'new player' kind of questions.  

This isnt a new thing either, every time I re-sub to Eve since starting some 7 years ago I always see new players.   

An mmo should really be judged on the new players it attracts as opposed to the old players it looses.. since everyone gets bored eventually.

I'd say Eve is definatly growing.  and with people already getting bored of SWTOR , mmo players are starting to realise that RPG's are stuck in a rut and get boring quickly,  Eve is completly different to an RPG so there does seem to be a bit of an influx of new players recently.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Eve is a shrinking game.  Some poor decisions on their part lead to a mass exodus of players.  It is not a dying game however.  It is still bringing in new players and with the PS3 launch of Dust coming out soon I'm sure that will attract more people to the PC Eve game.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

By reading these forums you'd be lead to believe so... yet unfortunately many of the games largest supporters who use Eve in their arguements against other games would rather playing nothing than Eve. Eves playerbase has been decaying for a while.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by troublmaker

Eve is a shrinking game.  Some poor decisions on their part lead to a mass exodus of players.  It is not a dying game however.  It is still bringing in new players and with the PS3 launch of Dust coming out soon I'm sure that will attract more people to the PC Eve game.

Even though that's what people keep saying, the player counter on the login window proves otherwise. It has been growing for a while now, and continues to do so.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Even though that's what people keep saying, the player counter on the login window proves otherwise. It has been growing for a while now, and continues to do so.

What does the player counter measure? Is it an accumulative number, where it keeps going up and never down? If the peak concurrent users ingame is being measured with some counter, then it would make for a far more accurate measuring tool imo.

As far as I can see it, EVE shows quite a decrease in both Xfire as Raptr (30% decrease) since last Spring. Since interestingly enough they also haven't posted their subscription figures anymore since that time, I'm going with that.
  • KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

You are right there. Without official figures you can only estimate. What percetnage of EVE players uses xfire? How many come to this site or even to official forums...

We live in times when devs for most of the games are going to micro-transaction model... Consider that only few MMOs out there can afford to keep monthly subscriptions (i think only the biggest ones - WoW, SWTOR and few more). If micro payments bring more money for developers, i find it very hard to blame them. They run the games for money, not for charity.

In the case of EVE it's tough call whether moving away from subscription would bring more players. That is the main target and more players i good not only for the devs but for players themselves too. Some MMOs were saved by moving to this model. IF (!) player base of EVE is shrinking, moving to micro transactions is inevitable in my opinion. Also note that EVE is among the most expensive MMOs (if not the most expensive) you can play (15e per month is a lot).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by smh_alot

What does the player counter measure? Is it an accumulative number, where it keeps going up and never down? If the peak concurrent users ingame is being measured with some counter, then it would make for a far more accurate measuring tool imo.

As far as I can see it, EVE shows quite a decrease in both Xfire as Raptr (30% decrease) since last Spring. Since interestingly enough they also haven't posted their subscription figures anymore since that time, I'm going with that.

Do you have a link to where CCP used to post that? AFAIK, CCP relayed sub numbers at each Fanfest.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Its true that there has been a drop.

But that drop as I said is only from bittervets.   Actual new players to the game is still steady and always increasing.

Anyway, its single server.. with 30 thousand players online all the time, its not like your ever going to be short on people to interact with LOL

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    @Loktofeit: the latest subscription number I found was of beginning 2011, where 360k was reported. Before that I found several more subscription reports often not that many months apart, but after that no official sub reports anymore. The trend in various player activity tools incl the EVE online PCU charts (peak concurrent users) however is a downward one, and seems to support the 30% decrease trend witnessed in other monitor tools.

It would suggest that EVE's current player/subscriber number is now more in the 260-290k range.
  • wacked37wacked37 Member UncommonPosts: 29

I joined EVE in August 2011, and I've personally brought in 4 additional friends.

Not that we have actual data, but what if the subscription base is shrinking or stagnant? How does that matter? There are still 30k to 50k concurrent users online. I still see characters from 2003 to yesterday passing through our system. There is plenty of "content" as far as other players is concerned. It's not like dipping below 300k subscriptions somehow makes EVE any less of the amazing MMORPG that it is.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by wacked37
    I joined EVE in August 2011, and I've personally brought in 4 additional friends.

Not that we have actual data, but what if the subscription base is shrinking or stagnant? How does that matter? There are still 30k to 50k concurrent users online. I still see characters from 2003 to yesterday passing through our system. There is plenty of "content" as far as other players is concerned. It's not like dipping below 300k subscriptions somehow makes EVE any less of the amazing MMORPG that it is.

I don't play Eve and I do agree with the sentiment as far as it concerns playing the game. The only important thing is that there are enough people playing the game for you to have fun.

The exception (for me) is when it comes to further development, especially on games I want to see. CCP is supposed to be creating World of Darkness. If the subs for Eve drop off, that's less money in the pot for WoD. There's nothing I can do about this, but much hang wringing would ensue, I can assure you of that.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by smh_alot

The counter displays actual clients logged in at that time. Now, I'm just saying that I noticed the number being higher and higher on a weekly basis at the times I log in, which is the western-europe peak time.

That said, since the whole world plays on the same server, it might very well be that the USA number has been dropping. I can't say, since I play on different times than they do (Or rather most of them).

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by wacked37

Pretty much this.

Of course one should not take population decreases lightly, but to me EVE seems to be doing alright, especially considering it's a seven years old niche game. It's a solid game, and that goes a long way.

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Things seem to have become much better with the release of the Crucible update and CCP returning to the basics of eve.

Over all I have noticed a increase in new players and interest in the game.