Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bye bye TOR see ya

1235»

Comments

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by pierth

There are a ton of people that bought the game for lightsabers alone- just goes to show how low expectations are anymore.

One of the things that made becoming a Jedi so spellbinding back in pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies was that it wasn't easy, you had to work hard to unlock it.  It was also dangerous to be one, as your lightsaber would flag you for PvP, and you would likely end up on a Bounty Hunter quest.

Now anyone can be a Jedi from the start, and there's no fun in it.  Bioware blew that aspect of this game too. Completely ignoring what I said above, they made the journey from Padawan to Jedi Knight the matter of a few trivial quests and little fanfair.  Boooooooooringggg.

swg pre-cu was the shite.

amazing game like we never ever saw again. pitty SOE scrwed it.

but y.. jedis and the like should be a hard to work class to achieve.. not somehting you can choose right from the start.

You need to alter that view of the game in to a context that goes with the lore of the Star Wars universe at the time TOR is set. TOR is set 4000 years before the time of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker or the fall of the jedi order. At this time there are thousands of jedi and sith roaming the galaxy. It's really not uncommon to see them.

What would you rather people start as in TOR? The ship's cook with ambitions to be a trooper or a little force sensitivity? 20 levels of preparing salads and you get the chance to train at the academy or have to pick up a pistol in a skirmish?

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • kellerman24kellerman24 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by metalguy23

Well I canceled my account today with bioware, uninstalled the game as well. Sorry but this is not an MMO, more like a single player game with some mmo stuff tacked on. Space battles are a snoozefest, game engine is horrible, combat is pretty good though it gets boring fast, pvp is a mess and not much fun to be honest, leveling is your standard boring get this do that, kill 10 of these fuck that I have a job I dont need another one. This game is designed to be a B2P and EA/Bioware wants to charge a monthly fee, I think they are out of their minds to be honest sorry. Anyway bye bye and hello Arenanet, now their game looks innovative and the engine rocks. 

I agree with you. You've nailed it preety good.

Now the thing is, I/we don't have anything better to play right now :(.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by holifeet

There are a ton of people that bought the game for lightsabers alone- just goes to show how low expectations are anymore.

One of the things that made becoming a Jedi so spellbinding back in pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies was that it wasn't easy, you had to work hard to unlock it.  It was also dangerous to be one, as your lightsaber would flag you for PvP, and you would likely end up on a Bounty Hunter quest.

Now anyone can be a Jedi from the start, and there's no fun in it.  Bioware blew that aspect of this game too. Completely ignoring what I said above, they made the journey from Padawan to Jedi Knight the matter of a few trivial quests and little fanfair.  Boooooooooringggg.

but y.. jedis and the like should be a hard to work class to achieve.. not somehting you can choose right from the start.

You need to alter that view of the game in to a context that goes with the lore of the Star Wars universe at the time TOR is set. TOR is set 4000 years before the time of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker or the fall of the jedi order. At this time there are thousands of jedi and sith roaming the galaxy. It's really not uncommon to see them.

What would you rather people start as in TOR? The ship's cook with ambitions to be a trooper or a little force sensitivity? 20 levels of preparing salads and you get the chance to train at the academy or have to pick up a pistol in a skirmish?

While what you say is true, nobody really cares about lore when discussing gameplay mechanics and features.

And it doesn't change the fact that becoming a Jedi on SWG was actually special, and in SWTOR, it's not.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Slowdoves

snip........ our server repeatedly apologised filling my glass up with champagne. After 30-40mins went by I finally had enough and asked the owner for the bill, instead he comped our drinks.

EA/BW could learn a bit about good customer service from the resteraunt owner. Sadly their CS is appaling.

As an aside I will not pay them until they have seperate Eu maintenance times.  That's sitting you by the toilets and gobbing in the food in my book.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by spaceport

While what you say is true, nobody really cares about lore when discussing gameplay mechanics and features.

And it doesn't change the fact that becoming a Jedi on SWG was actually special, and in SWTOR, it's not.

Heh :) Let's continue that line of thought: nobody really cares about lore when discussing gameplay mechanics and features. So nobody really cares about having to work hard as some sand grunt or Forceless character for dozens of levels only bc it'd fit the 'lore' better of some other SW era. People want to dive in right away and have fun with Force talents.

Also, nobody cares that Jedi in a dead game was hard work of weeks of grinding or something special to a handful of hardcore fans of that dead game. CWIDT? :)

At first maybe, but then every man and his dog became a jedi and the game went to pot. The lore does matter. 400 years before the battle of Yavin jedi were a common sight. People commonly say that gameplay and mechanics should be built around the lore of a world, such as the views on numbers of factions for the forthcoming 40K game. That is except when people want to take a swipe at a game.

My story in TOR is of a former slave that becomes a sith, and I have been told of how low I was at every opportunity. I have risen from the ranks of nobody to become a powerful warrior of the Empire. Now BW/EA could have made it so that I spent 30 levels mopping up rat infestations on Korriban to make me realise how special it was to be a sith. Boy, people would have complained about that. But at least it would have been special. I'd have been bored silly, but I'd have that special feeling come level 30.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but anyone who says the game shouldn't start with jedi or sith is talking absolute nonsense.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by tawess

I have to ask.. what did you (the OP) expect...? Have you played any BW game.. like... ever... If not i can understand why you feel a bit cheated since the story loaded gameplay of a BW game is not for every one. But if you did play any of them *palm+forehead" But at least you had sense enough to realise it now. Thus we will not have to have you complaning later on how you invested several stacks of (your currency of choice) in to it before you found out it was not for you.

So... Gl/Hf

what did you excpet? da lightsabers im pretty sure. good luck have fun with that. i say you will be minority in weeks.

Originally posted by smh_alot

Heh :) Let's continue that line of thought: nobody really cares about lore when discussing gameplay mechanics and features. So nobody really cares about having to work hard and be some sand grunt or Forceless character to only bc it'd fit the 'lore' better of some other SW era. People want to dive in right away and have fun with Force talents.

Also, nobody cares that Jedi in a dead game was hard work of weeks of grinding or something special to a handful of hardcore fans of that dead game. CWIDT? :)

he, i still think that the way SWG handled all the Jedi thing was terribad.

But still, justifying anything with lore when SWTOR is probably the most lore raping Star Wars game ever made is kinda funny.

You know, like how a lightsaber skills has a DoT that makes the target BLEED.

Or a SITH HEALING with a skill called "DARK HEAL" (Quality bioware writing right there)

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

SWTOR is still my game of choice... slowly working my way through my story and mid 20s levels, so I probably have another month or two before capping. Then, it is either see what I can do at "end game", or try another class and story.

I can't see myself dropping SWTOR until Diablo 3 or GW2 come out, and even then, I may share time until I get bored of SWTOR.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    @spaceport: meh -_- LotrO and AoC have an abundance of magic users when there shouldn't be, so nothing special there, conformation to the classic MMO class mechanics. At least the game hasn't whole masses of Jedi happily running around in a time era where there should be none, now that is what I call lore raping.

Originally posted by smh_alot

@spaceport: meh -_- LotrO and AoC have an abundance of magic users when there shouldn't be, so nothing special there, conformation to the classic MMO class mechanics. At least the game hasn't whole masses of Jedi happily running around in a time era where there should be none, now that is what I call lore raping.

Blame the cry babies and WOW for that, before the NGE that wasn't the case

otacu

But still, justifying anything with lore when SWTOR is probably the most lore raping Star Wars game ever made is kinda funny.

Or a SITH HEALING with a skill called "DARK HEAL" (Quality bioware writing right there)

Maybe they hit the enemy with the butt of the lightsaber, or a punch maybe. And what's wrong with Dark Heal? If you're using the dark side of the force to heal then it's pretty apt to call it a dark heal, isn't it?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

always makes me lol when i hear people talking about realism in games....hehe.

Maybe they hit the enemy with the butt of the lightsaber, or a punch maybe. And what's wrong with Dark Heal? If you're using the dark side of the force to heal then it's pretty apt to call it a dark heal, isn't it?

Are you seriously defending a skill named Dark Heal?

What next? Dark Rage?...  Dark Leap?

Lol it's Sith and they are bad so we name the skill Dark Heal xD

Bioware should add a skill named Good Slash, now that would be hillarious :D

otacu

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Zefire

Originally posted by metalguy23

Well I canceled my account today with bioware, uninstalled the game as well. Sorry but this is not an MMO, more like a single player game with some mmo stuff tacked on. Space battles are a snoozefest, game engine is horrible, combat is pretty good though it gets boring fast, pvp is a mess and not much fun to be honest, leveling is your standard boring get this do that, kill 10 of these fuck that I have a job I dont need another one. This game is designed to be a B2P and EA/Bioware wants to charge a monthly fee, I think they are out of their minds to be honest sorry. Anyway bye bye and hello Arenanet, now their game looks innovative and the engine rocks. 

Yeah i agree ill probably unsub today as well.They are out of their minds.This game is for buy to play not pay per month.Besides i see no reason to pay for a game per month when arenanet's game looks more fun and buy to play with more cool and new features than the typical crap we play for years.

I agree it's a nice game but not for pay to play.It's a buy to play game and if they were kind enough they would give people irc and some online features for free.Instead they prefere to charge people to earn money for something arenanet had done 6 years ago with no monthly fees.

Well... Have fun waiting...and waiting for GW2 to come out... ^^ If you are LUCKY it *might* be out near the end of this year.  I've no problem with spending money on games I enjoy. I'm still enjoying ToR, so I'll stay subscribed. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

whats funny about this posts like this is the fact that alot of ppl are hyped up about GW2 and even though it may be a good game no one knows for sure because its only in CB.yeah they did a good job with the first GW but that doesn't mean the nd will be better. for all anyone knows it could be completely hyped up. I personally don't wantt either game to fail. There is enough room for alot of MMOs and the only ones that should be concerned about the numbers game is the people that make money from their subscription fees. As a player the only thing i concern myself with is whether or not its fun and how active the server i play on is. As time goes on servers can be combined/clustered if need be so i'm not that worried about  that part either.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Just because most Sith are evil/bad deos not mean all of them are, and who are you to tell us whats Lore appropriate ? Did you get fired from Bioware when they wrote the story for KOTOR 1 ? I would assume you are one of the staff writers from Bioware they way you decide whats canon for SWTOR.

If you need a hug to get through the downtime for the new patch, i understand and i wil be a generous person and offer you a hug. It will be ok in a few hours the game you pretend to hate so much will be back online and then you can go back to playing a game you like to pretend to hate.

/hug

Lolipops !

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    In other interesting news. At least 5.997.000.000 people aren't subscribing to SWTOR also.

Free to play in a week!
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by WikingDK

Can I have your stuff? 

Beat me to it.  LOL

Do you know Star Wars? It's the Dark side of the force and the Light side of the force. If they named it good heal then, yes that would be terrible. Dark heal, however, seems apt to me. Dark is a side of the force, good is not.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Do you know Star Wars? It's the Dark side of the force and the Light side of the force. If they named it good heal then, yes that would be terrible. Dark heal, however, seems apt to me. Dark is a side of the force, good is not.

He's saying that Healing isn't a feat that should be given an allignment.

And I agree with him. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

He's saying that Healing isn't a feat that should be given an allignment.

And I agree with him.

The power of "The Force" is neither good nor evil.  Its the way in which we use it that would determine its effect on that scale. 

This is something about Star Wars that is sadly forgotten today.