Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, has anyone heard anything about EverQuest Next

I swear I have not heard a peep from Sony about EQ N for almost a year now. Is this project dead in the water or has anyone heard anything? It would really brighten my day.

Make it so...

Comments

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Bump? We can't talk about how horrible SWTor and the lack of sandboxes all day now can we?

Make it so...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Project is in the works. There were no word about cancelling it. Propably still far from release.

I am not interested because if will be freemium or some kind of weird p2p + big microtransaction / rmt , since that is what Smeadley said lately that whole SOE is moving towards freemium models.  I am not interested.

Besides SOE screwed so much so many times that I really have no any trust left in them.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

Bump? We can't talk about how horrible SWTor and the lack of sandboxes all day now can we?

we could talk about how Next is going to be playable by the console and how some of us think that is a step backwards

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

They were hiring team members the latter part of last year so suspect we won't be seeing anything tangible until at least the end of this year.

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by fenistil

Project is in the works. There were no word about cancelling it. Propably still far from release.

I am not interested because if will be freemium or some kind of weird p2p + big microtransaction / rmt , since that is what Smeadley said lately that whole SOE is moving towards freemium models.  I am not interested.

Besides SOE screwed so much so many times that I really have no any trust left in them.

Yeah I have to agree. I've played EQ2 since 2005 when the game actually made sense and you had to work for stuff. Now you can even solo raid zones and the F2P model has turned it to crap. You shouldn't be able to buy gear... It should all be in game. But at the same time I'm not sure about the whole $15 a month either. The most I think you  should be charge anymore is a max of $5/mo and you better be getting something out of that.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

As a 5 yr EQ gamer, I would think after all the mis steps Smed has taken over the years, they really need to keep hype down, and "take the world by storm" so to speak.

SOE pissed off hardcore raiders in EQ with PoP/GoD expansions, and totally stepped on their tally whackers with the SWG crowd.

I remember them doing a server wide announcement when Afterlife(from Mithaniel Marr server I was on) took down that last mob in PoP(Qwarm?), as it was the first time something like that was done. It was a huge FU to all the other raid guilds that spun their wheels trying to complete Time. The very same Time that wasnt even ready when the expansion launched.

Big guilds eventually started leaving for WoW(Including Afterlife), and that was all she wrote. EQ was no longer the untouchable juggernaught

In retrospect, I bet Smed wishes he had done more to keep the upper hand with EQ, rather than pumping all his money into EQ2.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

But is any model besides freemium even viable nowadays?

Make it so...

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It's all up in wraps. But to be honest I'm not excited about it. There is of course the name, Everquest, but beyond that there is little left of the people who made EQ great. There were some very good people working for SoE a long time ago, but those have long moved on to other design studios like 38 studios, some to EA and the rest is spread out.

I'm not that gullible that I believe a name alone will carry a game, developers carry a game, and when you don't have any of the original developers left, you are just left with the name.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

After what they did to EQ2, I don't think anyone is left to follow the new everquest games...

• ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87

http://www.mmofringe.com/forum/2-Section-8/17114-the-latest-on-SOE-and-Everquest-Next

From this link here it sounds like it's done for they had a 100 million to make the game but it's going to be a Farmville type of game now =) Unless this joker is just making this up but I heard there were cuts at SOE so who really knows.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

But your "source" has no link. Nothing to confirm its statements. Thus its nothing but very vague rumors.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Originally posted by Adamantine

But your "source" has no link. Nothing to confirm its statements. Thus its nothing but very vague rumors.

I have heard the same story through people in game. You will never get an official source because the origin is devs and contractors who have been Fired by SoE.

"Everquest Next had two pre-production builds proposed.

one build was extensive with a large budget

the other build proposal is extremely casual.

Basically the team that was working on the Everquest on Steroids build lost the contest and is being let go. yes, it was kinda considered a contest. the better build got the money, the loser build employees got fired essentially."

I am 99% sure this is what happened.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Hmm. Well, seeing is believing, until then it's all just unsubstantiated rumors anyway, seen too many of those over the years anyway.
  • ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by Novusod

I have heard the same story through people in game. You will never get an official source because the origin is devs and contractors who have been Fired by SoE.

Basically the team that was working on the Everquest on Steroids build lost the contest and is being let go. yes, it was kinda considered a contest. the better build got the money, the loser build employees got fired essentially."

I've heard the same in a few other places now, as well as some downbeat testing groups.

While I'm bummed about it, the "extremely casual" comment doesn't worry me. After all, with crazy game spanning HQ's every tier, AA's and being able to max them out whenever you wanted to, Legend & Lore Quests, Ridiculous amount of raiid zones etc, EQ2 was anything but casual or simple.

The original leaks version of EQ on Steroids could have been a call back to the mechanics and flow of EQ1. And now... I'm 30, I don't have time for that. If it's polished, looks good and *feels* like an EverQuest game, I'll be happy to try it at the very least.

And honestly, so long as it's not Free Realms 2: Electric Boogaloo, I'll be happy; knowing that EQ is living on in the Next Gen world.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Probably not unless you are Blizzard or Bioware.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by ZDPhoenix

Originally posted by Novusod

I've heard the same in a few other places now, as well as some downbeat testing groups.

While I'm bummed about it, the "extremely casual" comment doesn't worry me. After all, with crazy game spanning HQ's every tier, AA's and being able to max them out whenever you wanted to, Legend & Lore Quests, Ridiculous amount of raiid zones etc, EQ2 was anything but casual or simple.

The original leaks version of EQ on Steroids could have been a call back to the mechanics and flow of EQ1. And now... I'm 30, I don't have time for that. If it's polished, looks good and *feels* like an EverQuest game, I'll be happy to try it at the very least.

And honestly, so long as it's not Free Realms 2: Electric Boogaloo, I'll be happy; knowing that EQ is living on in the Next Gen world.

so basically EQ3 (Next) will be more casual than EQ2?

this doesnt surprise me at all, its a trend in gaming that has been going on for a long time now.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

To be honest, it is up to Sony to convince me (and other potential players) that what is the new thing on this game. I am way more like to play MoP than this, unless they really have something special.

There are so many MMOs and f2p ones that it is not easy to catch the players' attention anymore. The EQ name has lost its luster long long time ago.

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by nariusseldon

To be honest, it is up to Sony to convince me (and other potential players) that what is the new thing on this game. I am way more like to play MoP than this, unless they really have something special.

There are so many MMOs and f2p ones that it is not easy to catch the players' attention anymore. The EQ name has lost its luster long long time ago.

Maybe to you and folks who share your view. However, part of the joy of being human is choice. I've been a WoW'er since release and as of late started playing EQ2 while waiting for MoP.

I found out by playing with some die hards and newbies that Norrath's images, dieties and races still conjure images of what a fantasy world can be to people. And there's still many who enjoy the community.

Just like Azeroth, Nirn (TES) Telara and Tyria always will inspire these feelings.

Some people like Forgotten Realms Books; some people like Dragonlance.

They're not exclusive to eachother; yet you'll often meet someone who tries to say one is better than the other.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Probably not unless you are Blizzard or Bioware.

I dunno. I think a lot of us would pay a sub if a game was worth the money. What scares me about the F2P / Freemium model is that the best ones were developed with P2P in mind and with higher standards. F2P games developed with that payment model in mind are lacking. At least ive not found one of the quality of a P2P game.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

Freemium invites trolls, anti-socials, and hackers. Additionally, freemium models are generally done incorrectly leading to the new coined phrase "Wallet Warriors" to come about.

If Planetside 2 OR EQ: Next goes the piss poor managed "Freemium" model that EQ:2 & EQ is sure to follow then SOE will sink.

Smed claimed that since EQ:2 went "freemium" their revenue has increased 200%. However, being an X-Longtime EQ2 player I can tell you that percentages are the reason why SOE's media team are intelligent. I'll give you an example:

If your company is earning only $1400/month in revenue, and then you switch to a NEW business model that earns you $2800/month in revenue. You're still earning BELOW 5000 in revenue when your companies investors want something around 10,000 per month to consider your model a success. So, instead of saying "yea, we increased monthly Revenue by $1400" over saying "We increased our monthly Revenue by 100%!" will keep your investers happy to know something positive is coming out of the company.

Likewise, SOE had MAYBE 20,000 concurrent subscribers prior to Freemium, and YES it was REALLY that low. Meaning they were only bringing in $300,000 per month BEFORE server & payroll costs. So claiming that they increased cash flow by 200% means they doubled their money. Think that percentage is off? Well, 100% = 300k, 200% = 600k. SOE's media department likes to change the wording JUST ENOUGH as to sound like it's actually more, or in some cases less, than what's actually going on. I re-read their press statement MANY times, and figured out it wasn't 3x, but only 2x their previous Pay to Play model.

Unfortunately for smed, and subsequently SOE, that cash increase is NOT steady & stable like the P2P model is. So, it will fluxate based on a number of different variables. Most notable, it will matter in the long run WHAT they put in their store & consider to put in their Station Cash store in order to keep turning the same profit.

Freemium is NOT a stable NOR a successful, or for that matter FAIR, business model for the company OR the customers. MANY MANY MANY developers are realizing this and have started to shun "Freemium" all together. It's only a fad, and I see it dwindly down to only MMOs that want to stay on "Life Support" long enough to turn a profit for the investers ONLY.

-Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Yeah i hear its the next Everquest.

Trolling aside ive not heard anything although ive been looking. What i have heard is an expressed interest in putting it on ps3 along side the PC version.

I know some of you may be rolling your eyes and thoughts go to the cancelled console version of AoC and the PS3 version of FFXIV isn't coming out any time soon but SOE have already released two of its MMORPG's onto the PS3 (Free Realms and DC Universe) and now that ive been converted to gaming on the ps3 its something id be very enthusiastic about.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

to be honest

I didn't like EQ first

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Besides when they stated it was a project in development... only other thing I read about EQ Next was about how they were working with nvidia.   Oh why?   Because the engines in Planetside2 and EQ Next are supposed to have PhysX support.

That's about the only other mention of EQ Next I've seen.   Then again I haven't really been looking.. tho I have been trolling the Planetside2 page.

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

There was a lot of rumors that EQ3 will be released in 2007 but never happened. Some gameplay videos, i watched on youtube was real.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

This^