Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Example of the BANG UP job having no LFD tool is helping the community

Comments

• Ianb4allIanb4all Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by sanosukex

So many people have been defending how great it is this game has no LFD tool and how great it is to build the community and everything. Now I'm talking the game needs a SAME server LFD tool here not cross server.. anyway this is what chat has become and it's what I been saying all along and why these type of games really need a same server LFD tool. I can't even hold a useful conversation with people in general chat because of this crap is spammed non -stop

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6750/swtor2012010919254110.png

Peope are quick to blame the degregation of an MMO community on something like an LFD tool which is totally unsupported.  The tool did NOTHING to the degregation of the community, it was the community itself that did it.

My thoughts exactly- wows community already sucked at the stage they brought the lfd tool out

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Once LFG and LFM messages stop, those messages will be replaced with gold, guild, and item sales ones.

Mostly because there is need for it. People buy ingame gold and when game companies don't fight ingame gold sellers - creates a market for ingame gold - creates a need for ingame ad spam. Remove all the needs for it and you'll be left with more of an internet chat room.

I used to play Subspace (1997) and Infantry (1999) which were small imitation MMO based lobby games where you join a ZONE and in that zone are rooms that have a capacity of about one-hundred each. So when one hundred players join a zone that has a full room, the game automatically creates a new room for the extra hundred players to have their own game room. Everyone in each room had their own general chat meaning room two could not chat directly to room one and vise versa. The games had private messaging capabilities where you could message people outside of your room and even into different zones, but normal /say chat was based on your room only. You'd hope that general chat would bring the entire room closer together with talk about various subjects especially with no need to say anything at all unlike in a game where people need to advertise LFG and LFM. However, most of the time the chat was just spammed full of kill and death macros which if you've never heard of a kill macro you're lucky. It's basically a bragging message written down as a macro that announces to everyone that you killed someone and uses scripting language that announces the name of who you killed.

Such as, "Haha, %nameofkilledplayer, you're dead! Noob!" in which you bind this to a key and need only press the key after every kill. The %nameofkilledplayer part becomes a saved value on your machine of the last person you killed.

It wasn't this way ALL the time. Thankfully there were times when discussion of various things went on, just like an internet forum or chatroom. Mainly because there was again no NEED to say anything. But it was mostly just awful and troll riddled the bigger the zone room you were in. The more smaller zone communities generally didn't have as much of that going on.

I think a game like Star Wars: The Old Republic with such a family friendly license like Star Wars will prefer that the chat stays focused on LFG and LFM spam just to avoid taking the game closer to more of an internet chat room and to steer it away (hopefully) from gold ads so that people will be discouraged to troll since people who would normally react to an inflammatory posting will be too busy looking at the LFG messages.

Since SW:TOR is more of a game than a world I would say it wouldn't surprise me if they one day add a LFD tool with cross server functionality; however, since it is more of a game than a world I would say that it can also be charming to place as many world features into the game to make it feel like it tries to balance out the preference to it being a game. Entirely up to Bioware and its players probably. I don't consider myself a SW:TOR fan or part of its community. However I did buy it and level two characters to level 17 so far.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Game already has a very nifty LFG tool people just need to be aware of it and use it more. People are just spoiled by WOW and hope for same instant queue wondow. SWTOR has a LFG already, yes it won't port you to your flashpoint but it is very useful tool and easy to form groups with it.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

LFG tools are pointless and for the lazy. Just ask in the general chats if you want a group.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by udon

"Crap"?  Really.  It's almost identical to what EQ2 and WoW had for years before adding autojoining tools.  It works fine for me.

Would a autocreating tool be more convinent?  I'm sure it would but what is there is far from crap.

Yeah it is crap and when those games had lesser features they were more group oriented. Not to mention the mentality of players at the time was still more open to grouping in general so there wasn't as much need for a grouping feature.

Since then these games have become more and more solo friendly plus the ability to reach max level has become easier and quicker. So there is less reason than ever for many to be inclined to group if they have to put forth any effort at all.

Not to mention regardless how it was in the past many games have made a lot of strides in group finding functionality so to use the defense that games several years ago didn't have them so why should they now is a really weak argument.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by stealthbr

I really never and I'm talking from years of MMO experience found my QUALITY of group in PUGs any differn't than when using some sort of LFD tool or spamming chat like an ass for an hour. Of course generally I ideally just group with my guildmates since most are RL friends and it makes things a hell of a lot easier and more fun but honestly you guys are really kidding yourself if you feel the quality of your PUG is somehow magically better because you sat there and spammed chat for 30 min putting a group together.

It's just basic human psychology. "If I can get into a group super easy, I do not value my group as much as say if I had to put an effort to actually find people to play with. If they present problems, I don't bother to rectify them or give them any advise. I can simply leave group, queue up again, and easily be placed in a different one."

Without an LFD tool, it obviously does not mean the average PUG will contain better, more skilled players. It just means the average PUG will contain players that have more respect and value for their group because they had to put an effort in order to establish the group in the first place. This added respect and value leads to a healthier, more sociable, and more helpful community of players. The community becomes more accepting of new players and a notion of working hard with each other to achieve success is cultivated.

I wish this were true. Sadly it's not. I know a bit about psychology myself, but you are off the mark as it is not "us" playing the game. It's an avatar. A sheild if you will. It allows some people to act in a way contrary to real life. So, where in real life, we would value this more, behind the avatar, things are a bit different. 

As an example; I got a group together last night and it took about 30 mins. One of the guys who had joined the group early on ended up rolling need on an item another member could use on his character, just because he could use it on a companion. Now we had talked about this before hand and agreed not to do that... Alas... the avatar allowed him to be a dick, and he took the loot and logged off. So much for valuing his group that it took a half an hour to get together. 

You see, this will happen with or without the tool. I say, add the damn thing and if you don't want to use it, don't. Another post earlier talked about how people will just stand around and look for a group as opposed to exploring. This is based on the player, not the tool. I often used the tool in WoW and never once just stood around waiting. Explorers gonna explore regardless of this tool. 

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

So many people have been defending how great it is this game has no LFD tool and how great it is to build the community and everything. Now I'm talking the game needs a SAME server LFD tool here not cross server.. anyway this is what chat has become and it's what I been saying all along and why these type of games really need a same server LFD tool. I can't even hold a useful conversation with people in general chat because of this crap is spammed non -stop

1.  This LFG spam needs to make it in a specific LFG chat channel

2.  It's my understanding the /who system sucks.  If players were able to actively search out specific classes at specific levels, you'd have less people spamming LFG

3.  A lot of these folks playing are from WOW and can't be bothered to start their own groups (Spoiled I think is the word)

Most of the benefits from NOT having an automated group matching system (whether it's across a single server or cross server) are intangibles that most of the SWTOR playerbase couldn't give a crap less about....so just give it to them already.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

Originally posted by Praetalus

I really never and I'm talking from years of MMO experience found my QUALITY of group in PUGs any differn't than when using some sort of LFD tool or spamming chat like an ass for an hour. Of course generally I ideally just group with my guildmates since most are RL friends and it makes things a hell of a lot easier and more fun but honestly you guys are really kidding yourself if you feel the quality of your PUG is somehow magically better because you sat there and spammed chat for 30 min putting a group together.

It's just basic human psychology. "If I can get into a group super easy, I do not value my group as much as say if I had to put an effort to actually find people to play with. If they present problems, I don't bother to rectify them or give them any advise. I can simply leave group, queue up again, and easily be placed in a different one."

Without an LFD tool, it obviously does not mean the average PUG will contain better, more skilled players. It just means the average PUG will contain players that have more respect and value for their group because they had to put an effort in order to establish the group in the first place. This added respect and value leads to a healthier, more sociable, and more helpful community of players. The community becomes more accepting of new players and a notion of working hard with each other to achieve success is cultivated.

I wish this were true. Sadly it's not. I know a bit about psychology myself, but you are off the mark as it is not "us" playing the game. It's an avatar. A sheild if you will. It allows some people to act in a way contrary to real life. So, where in real life, we would value this more, behind the avatar, things are a bit different. 

As an example; I got a group together last night and it took about 30 mins. One of the guys who had joined the group early on ended up rolling need on an item another member could use on his character, just because he could use it on a companion. Now we had talked about this before hand and agreed not to do that... Alas... the avatar allowed him to be a dick, and he took the loot and logged off. So much for valuing his group that it took a half an hour to get together. 

You see, this will happen with or without the tool. I say, add the damn thing and if you don't want to use it, don't. Another post earlier talked about how people will just stand around and look for a group as opposed to exploring. This is based on the player, not the tool. I often used the tool in WoW and never once just stood around waiting. Explorers gonna explore regardless of this tool. 

This might just be my own anticdotal evidence in support of stealthbr's comment, but when I had to travel for 5+ minutes from my questing spot to get to the Dungeon I was going to run with the group I was just added to.....I was less likely to drop group and go ALL the way back to my questing hub....only to start looking for another group for the same dungeon that was half way across the game world. (In WOW Pre-LFG Tool)

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Your server needs to get organized. My server has created multiple chat channels for all our needs.

This^

Originally posted by Kost

Your server needs to get organized. My server has created multiple chat channels for all our needs.

This^

Really? I'll make sure it gets noted in our next quarterly meeting.

>_>

/leaves post and calmly floats back down to the reality plane of existence

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

If people prefer to use chat or social circles (guilds / friends lists) to put together groups that's awesome.  But not including a LFD feature in a game in 2012 is kinda lame.  For me, LFD makes my limited gaming time more productive and fun.

LFD tools allow gamers to make educated decisions on how to spend their time.  If I have 1 hour to play and want to do an instance, I can jump on WoW's LFD tool and see the average wait times for my role.  If the wait time is 45 minutes well I know right then that I probably won't get a run in so I focus on something else.  

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

I think at this point everyone gets that you absolutely hate every aspect of SWTOR.  You can stop now.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

"Crap"?  Really.  It's almost identical to what EQ2 and WoW had for years before adding autojoining tools.  It works fine for me.

Would a autocreating tool be more convinent?  I'm sure it would but what is there is far from crap.

Yeah it is crap and when those games had lesser features they were more group oriented. Not to mention the mentality of players at the time was still more open to grouping in general so there wasn't as much need for a grouping feature.

Since then these games have become more and more solo friendly plus the ability to reach max level has become easier and quicker. So there is less reason than ever for many to be inclined to group if they have to put forth any effort at all.

Not to mention regardless how it was in the past many games have made a lot of strides in group finding functionality so to use the defense that games several years ago didn't have them so why should they now is a really weak argument.

SW:TOR is much more group oriented than most people like to admit.  It just doesn't force grouping upon you like some other games have/do.  You accually get both XP rewards for questing in groups and social points which is useful for buying some nice items.  Every zone has a number of repeatable 2 and 4 man quests that have some really nice rewards (Often orange modable gear with unique apperances).  If you are leveling without doing at least some of the open zone group content you are missing out on a big part of the game.

The problem with LFD tools is they wouldn't really help this content would they?  In fact they would just promote more solo leveling as people would either be grinding out levels solo or waiting in queue for a instance.

How do you propose adding a LFD tool that promotes people doing all the group content rather than just instances?

I completly agree that the current LFG tool needs a Looking for More option for groups to fill out but other than that I think what we have is fine for now.  In 6-12 months I might think differently but not right now.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Why would you not just create a tab for general and keep guild/party/ops & tells in the main one?

No one is forcing you to read that particular channel, and you have all the tools you need to create a tab specifically for that.

I personally have enjoyed not having a LFD tool. I like actually communicating with people in games, rather than be randomly paired up with some idiot I wouldn't have chosen to group with.

It means culpability. It means non-disposable reputations.

It means if people make a bad name for themselves due to idiotic/poor play or general crappy behavior,  can guarantee I don't have to spend time with them.

Sorry but using 'Im forced to read chat I don't want to read because there's no LFD tool!' in an MMO, and especially when you have 100% control over the situation by creating multiple conversation/channel tabs, is probably the single weakest argument in favor of LFD tools I have ever seen.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

SW:TOR is much more group oriented than most people like to admit.  It just doesn't force grouping upon you like some other games have/do.  You accually get both XP rewards for questing in groups and social points which is useful for buying some nice items.  Every zone has a number of repeatable 2 and 4 man quests that have some really nice rewards (Often orange modable gear with unique apperances).  If you are leveling without doing at least some of the open zone group content you are missing out on a big part of the game.

The problem with LFD tools is they wouldn't really help this content would they?  In fact they would just promote more solo leveling as people would either be grinding out levels solo or waiting in queue for a instance.

How do you propose adding a LFD tool that promotes people doing all the group content rather than just instances?

There's a lot of groupign all the time. It's the heroics that are driving it. At least from what I see.

If I help out with one heroic I usually end up helping with several more. It's not hard to get a group in this game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Sovrath

There's a lot of groupign all the time. It's the heroics that are driving it. At least from what I see.

If I help out with one heroic I usually end up helping with several more. It's not hard to get a group in this game.

For sure, which is the main reason I am 4 levels ahead of content right now.  I am doing a lot more groupiong on this toons journey from 1-50 than my last ones.  I am also enjoying the leveling a lot more even given that I have seen the content once already.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Praetalus

There will always be those that disrespect their group. However, LFD is not conducive to a healthy community for it automates grouping to an extreme degree, making attachments and socializing redundant.

Your view on "Don't use it you don't want to..." simply does not work. The vast majority will opt for the faster solution and those that don't will suffer for no one will ever attend to their calls for grouping. I think themepark games need to have a more serious look on DDO's LFG tool. I believe it works wonders in that game, easing up the process of meeting new players to run some dungeons while not automating it to the point where you don't give a damn about the actual people in your group.

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by Kost

This^

Really? I'll make sure it gets noted in our next quarterly meeting.

>_>

/leaves post and calmly floats back down to the reality plane of existence

lol I laughed in real life

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

At least you're Empire and see people looking for stuff to do.   Try being Republic and being the only person spamming the channels. 

And it isn't a server population issue, server was / is  always full, up to a week ago still had fair sized queues as well.  Problem is, it's a 80/20 split of  Empire / Republic.  What a shame I wasted all my time leveling on the lesser faction. 

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

That's awful! It hides all the useless drivel from the global chat. Shameful, really. Everybody just unsub now...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by lizardbones

I acknowledge, sanosuke, that the constant spamming on General chat is far from ideal. Yet, going to extremes and implementing an LFD tool I believe is not the ideal solution. What I would suggest is that BioWare builds upon their current LFG system in order to make it more robust and reliable. Currently, you can flag yourself as Looking for Group , but you can't flag yourself as Looking for More. Being able to flag yourself or your semi-complete group as Looking for More is important because the people looking to join do not need to wait for an invite, they can simply apply to your group. This system is used quite successfully in a game called Dungeons and Dragons Online, and I think it strikes the perfect balance between convenience and sociality.

Actually, that wouldn't be bad. Just have a system where you can flag yourself available, or apply to groups and labels for the content (quests or flash points) you're wanting to do. The content generally has a level associated with it so it should be pretty easy to filter what's available. You can even have it pick from your current mission log.

Yeah if a game absolutely need lfg tool ,then DDO-like is way to go.
    It is not automatic-cross-server-crap and does not agaik teleport but at same time is very useful, easy to use and eliminate spamming of chats.

I feel like I'm in a very small group of people who don't mind the LFG spam in general chat. It's just part of the ambiance of an mmorpg (to me).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

This is proof to me that the wow comunity is still migrating away from wow and to this new game.

Which in and of itself is GOOD NEWS lol. I would be game for server lfd. but not a x-server lfd or x server pvp finder = no way.

You have to remember the fundamentals of a themepark. You will attract the phony tough , the internet brave. In a sandbox you run your mouth you better be able to back it up or you will get gank killed and your shoes hat and coat taken. In a themepark you will get a duel request lol. By now you should have made at least 3 freinds ...........(I would hope anyway) turn off chat and go run stuff with guild/freinds etc. Same old same old as in any game.

As far as usefull conversations in general chat....not going to go into what a waste of time that is in ANY GAME. Try whispering people that are flagged as LOOKING FOR GROUP with the type group needed in the message box  next to their name. Worked wonders for me.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

This thread just shows that lazy people need an LFD tool.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Sovrath

...and again for the umpteenth time it is relative to the server you play on. When are you folks going to get it through your head that just because you aren't personally experiencing the issue that it does not mean the issue does not exist?

Really now...

I mean seriously. Even if you aren't having the problem what possible harm is there in having more mechanics in place for others to group? Not everyone that is asking for some mechanics to be put into place is asking for an lfd.

I would love to see the explanation as to why this would be a bad thing or somehow affect your gameplay assuming we aren't referring to an lfd. Which is being blamed for the state of communities in mmorpgs at this point. Which on a side note is absolute bullshit but that's a discussion for another day. Probably in five minutes on the main forum when someone makes another topic about it.

Really makes no sense whatsoever regardless whether it is effecting you personally or not that some are so dead set against BW adding any grouping mechanics at all or revamping the little they currently have. There is no drawback to it.

...and not directed at the person I quoted but to those saying that those asking for it are being lazy? Really? Okay...well those against it are simply being ignorant and selfish.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Ambros123

Peope are quick to blame the degregation of an MMO community on something like an LFD tool which is totally unsupported.  The tool did NOTHING to the degregation of the community, it was the community itself that did it.

Well to put it bluntly (and I know the MMO old timers will disagree due to rose colored glasses)..

The community was always terrible.  However, in the older games they had rougher mechanics so people had to beat around the bush a bit more while being shitty to eachother.  You couldn't just openly trash anyone who made you mad because you NEEDED a group... or you NEEDED people to repair your gear... or people could kill you and take your gear....

But EQ1's community was a bit of a cesspool even back in 1999.