Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat questions...

ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Do we have any idea yet as to how the combat will be handled? For example will the combat be twitch based, first person shooter for ranged classes, or will it be cool down combat much like WoW, LoTRo, SWToR etc...

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Do we have any idea yet as to how the combat will be handled? For example will the combat be twitch based, first person shooter for ranged classes, or will it be cool down combat much like WoW, LoTRo, SWToR etc...

there is no Global Cool Down

but it isn't like a FPS either

you can tab target who to attack, but you can also automatically target nearest thing in front of you if you have no target selected (without selectting it as a new target so not like auto target in the games you mention, more like how that worked in AOC)

all abilities can be fired while moving. (they don't have to be instant though, some have a casting time, and you must keep target in front of you - similar to Squig herder / Shadow Warrior in WAR)

you are restricted to only equiping 7 active and 7 passive abilities at a given time.

you can dodge ranged attacks

so kind of MMO combat plus, think AOC without combos or maybe Tabula Rasa, theres also a strong flavour of GW1 with the limited abilities equiped and City of Heroes with the states system

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

When you say you can dodge ranged attacks, how can this be done? Is it like Skyrim where you can physically get out of the way, or is it based on your dodge modifier (roll high enough to hit kind of thing). I guess my question, is the game more twitch based like Skyrim/Mortal Online, or WoWish in essence.

• SterlingGSterlingG Member Posts: 26

I think as of right now it's still a bit of a mystery.  But check this out if you haven't seen it before.  http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/74422.  

I believe it might be a bit of a hybrid of a shooter and a standard MMO combat system.  Aoc tried to be different and I think from all I've seen the developers of this MMO will try to be an off-shoot of Aoc combat and an FPS shooter.

So "twitched-based"... no... Standard MMO combat, probably not that either.

Personally I'm looking forward to this.  We shall see though.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I have seen some combat in TSW live and am a former AoC player.

There are two kinds of attacks in TSW:

- targeted, which are unavoidable, except if you move so line of sight is blocked. Typically from rifles, some magic, etc.

- melee/cone/aoe which are avoidable by moving before the attack hits. Typically from swords, shotguns, grenades, etc

I haven't seen the melee attacks in practice, but I assume they work as in AoC where you can get away from them by moving behind the other character for instance.

Unlike nearly any other MMO, including AoC, you can move while doing all the attacks, even the ones with casting time. As of now there is no way to sprint in combat, nor is there a stamina system like in AoC. (You might get sprint-like abilities, but those would probably be one of your 7 active skills).

So, basically TSW will in some ways perform as a FPS, and in some ways like a more traditional RPG. Combat looks very fast paced and dynamic. To me, it looked like they have taken everything good from the combat system in AoC and added some extras.

When you say you can dodge ranged attacks, how can this be done? Is it like Skyrim where you can physically get out of the way, or is it based on your dodge modifier (roll high enough to hit kind of thing). I guess my question, is the game more twitch based like Skyrim/Mortal Online, or WoWish in essence.

you can actively dodge things, there may also be a dodge stat, I've seen stuff about  double tapping straffe keys, but im not certain if thats correct so don't hold me on that, but devs have stated you can actively dodge somehow, but probably not just simple moving out of the way like a FPS

• Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103

One question about the spells that you can use are they like the typical mage in war , wow and so forth where you stand still and cast or can you run around while casting??

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by pr0fess0r

One question about the spells that you can use are they like the typical mage in war , wow and so forth where you stand still and cast or can you run around while casting??

You can run while casting.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Be careful what you wish for.

SWTOR has enemies do some attacks that can be avoided, rest of the time, you stand still... this is usually considered bad by the 12 year old age group BUT in MMO's there are two reasons the old ways might not be so bad:

A: Chat, you can either fight or type but typing MIGHT be what is needed to turn X number of individuals into a team. If I talk dismissevly of the run and gun type it is because they so often are the players who just run around screaming for heals getting agro from every corner of the planet.

B: Fatigue. MMO's are time sapping games and that "ooh I got click a lot of buttons" game mechanic looses its charm half way through a 3 hour raid. 

Twitch gaming was tried by AoC, a previous MMO by Funcom that twitch and PvP fans drooled over, and it failed. Even when the bugs were fixed the twitch gaming was just to labor intensive. So instead of pressing 1 button on your quickbar, you press 3... big whoop!

If you want real twitch gaming, Oni is what you should be looking at. Only 2 attacks, kick/punch what they do is based on your direction, speed and enemy position. The game was fun but there probably is a reason there was no sequel and no other games were inspired by it. Its true moments of glory were far and few between.

It will be very intresting to see what TSW makes of it all but I am getting flashbacks to AoC pre-launch chatter and getting a depressing feeling that this set of designers has yet again not learned from the mistakes of the past.

Hope to be wrong but getting resigned to the fact that MMO's are made for the designers not the gamers.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

I just pray that they dont take the 2.0 second GCD route.  I know its just easier to do rather than to make a unique CD for each skill but doing so makes combat much more complex and entertaining.

Oh how i hate the 2.0 GCD...makes combat feel so slow and...well...skills that do preform well dont get used since they dont have a cool down advantage ect.

They seem to not be following the standard wow model with just about everything else they are doing so my hopes are high. 

Oh and a side question, if anyone remembers...did Anarchy Online have "battle grounds" before or after wow started doing them.  Cant remember what specific name they were called in anarchy, just remember they were in, like metal ships, and you could spawn mechs and turrets and were a blast, even compared with todays battleground snooze fest.

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by Crunchy221

I just pray that they dont take the 2.0 second GCD route.  I know its just easier to do rather than to make a unique CD for each skill but doing so makes combat much more complex and entertaining.

Oh how i hate the 2.0 GCD...makes combat feel so slow and...well...skills that do preform well dont get used since they dont have a cool down advantage ect.

They seem to not be following the standard wow model with just about everything else they are doing so my hopes are high. 

Oh and a side question, if anyone remembers...did Anarchy Online have "battle grounds" before or after wow started doing them.  Cant remember what specific name they were called in anarchy, just remember they were in, like metal ships, and you could spawn mechs and turrets and were a blast, even compared with todays battleground snooze fest.

no, AO never had instanced PVP only world pvp.

At the beggining it was pure mayhem, usually at Tir's arena (maybe you mean the arena after all) where Omnis would sneak in past the guards and then wreck some havock.

Then the tower wars were you defended your own set of towers that provided buffs on contested area. Each faction attacked the other's (and some times intra-faction wars) to take down the towers and established theirs with some time of war-immunity following that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

from beta leaks it doesn't look any different from WoW. tab targeted attacks, etc. you can "dodge" attacks the same way you "dodge" them in woW, break line of sight. also, you can at least move while casting. 

i can't post the beta footage but it's the same combat as seen in the early walkthroughs.

There is no GCD
  • paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Crunchy221

I don't think there is any game with 2 sec GCD.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i prefer the standard mmo combat ala WoW, lotro, swtor, etc.... i dont like FPS style unless its a real FPS  game. I dont know what is a twitch based combat :(  some elaboration would be apretiated

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

he probably just means is mobility possible in all situations. can you step out of or in to the line of fire(body lock for an ally), can you dodge any attack, can you charge attacks for stronger blows, can you use your skills without having a target selelcted, etc.

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

GCD lasts 0.5sec. Most of skills are instant, some got few sec cast time (and can be cast while running). Targeting is similiar to AoC - there is sticky target, but some skills can be cast w/o targeting. On the other hand there are offensive and defensive target frame (like in WAR).

Combat requires much more running than in other mmos - there is no autoface, mobs and players got  cone attacks.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by ShakyMo

you can actively dodge things, there may also be a dodge stat, I've seen stuff about  double tapping straffe keys, but im not certain if thats correct so don't hold me on that, but devs have stated you can actively dodge somehow, but probably not just simple moving out of the way like a FPS

Double tapping was in AoC, it was pure gimmick feature much like hated shield system. If you have tab targeting you can't have real dodging like in FPS. Most likely you get dodge bonus when you dodge. Ofc we can wait the huge battles where everyone keeps smashing barrell roll and attack buttons.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Sasami

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Double tapping was in AoC, it was pure gimmick feature much like hated shield system. If you have tab targeting you can't have real dodging like in FPS. Most likely you get dodge bonus when you dodge. Ofc we can wait the huge battles where everyone keeps smashing barrell roll and attack buttons.

Dodging works fine in AoC if you use it vs melee characters which don't have tab-targetting.