Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think you should give this game a try

F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124

It's in an open alpha phase atm so anyone can register, download and play - but the game is not yet translated into english, the game is still totally playable if you don't understand polish - but it's a bit tough to figure out quests, everything else is pretty straightforward.

First of all, the graphics are really nice, animations do the job and the music and sound effects are good. The UI and controls are all fine and alot of it is in english, which obviously helps.

The games combat is non-targeted and you face your target and attack manually, same goes for ranged weapons - you have to aim and fire, it's a bit stiff IMO but works well. I've managed to explore and hunt animals and you can also gather resources like mushrooms, which you can sell.

There are quests around (and they're not signified by a glowing yellow !) but like I said it's hard to figure out all the dialogue if you don't understand polish. There are a multitude of NPCs around and alot of them have stuff to say or quests to give, there's also a bunch of shops for armor and weapons - I sold my gathered materials and bought some armour.

Hmm, there's a bunch more I could say - but I'm going on a bit. Basically I just wanted to let the MMORPG community know this game is at the very least worth a look and I'd like to help spread the word to the english speaking community and maybe when the english translation is released we can help them sort out the bugs and help improve the game - which IMO is already shaping up to be really cool.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/ether-fields

This is a good place for info and some developer diaries.

http://etherfields.pl/forum/index.php

and here is the forum.

http://etherfields.pl/register/

Comments

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Is there any real compelling reason to play this game over any other game out on the market right now? Especially a game that is allready in english?

If so what features or new ideas would make this game worth the trouble?

• F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124

Like I said the game's in open alpha atm and isn't translated yet, I was more hoping I could help spread the word and get people to have look at the game and try it out. As for what makes it stand out or why you should play it, IMO the atmosphere and general look and feel of the game is great, it's inspired by europe in the dark ages but with slavic mythology thrown in there for the fantasy. The combat system alone if worth a try, it's similar to DDO and I also think it's using the D&D 3rd edition rules but I could be wrong. There's intended to be PvP specific areas and I don't think full-loot is planned (again, I could be wrong) and the developers are planning for in-depth crafting, so there's alot of things people could like here.

http://etherfields.pl/forum/showthread.php?tid=429

Here's a roughly translated FAQ, if you're interested.

Again, I'm just hoping to get this game a little attention in hopes we can get an english speaking community going - atm me and a couple of others are trying to put together a group to go exploring and hunting, as you can easily get overrun by mobs alone and I saw a castle I want to get to.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Trying to check it out, but the downloaded is sooo slow. Updating at about 20kb/s, lol.

That's unfortunate, I had it downloading at around 200-250kb/s and I'm from NZ - I wonder why it would be so slow for you? Sorry I can't help more - hope you can get it downloaded and give it a try.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

I downloaded it and played it but I had fast download speeds of like 1.1mb/s

Dunno why others are having issue...

I wonder what's causing people to have issues not only downloading the client, but with ping in-game 'cos it'd be sad if people couldn't actually try the game properly purely because of network issues. Has anyone checked the official forums? Though the english boards seem to a be a bit quiet.

I wish anyone who tries to play good luck and hopefully I'll see more of you in-game, it was nice to see another player - we managed to kill a few rats and wolves before we both got disconnected and/or died : P

I've taken a bunch of screenshots, so I'll get them up and post 'em so people can see how the game looks.

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Don't know whats up but my ping is in 100ms range now. Finally can enjoy this game :D

Will take and upload screen later on.

That's awesome : ) if you're on when I'm on sometime, I'll show you this sweet place to kill bandits - they're good Exp and the drops sell for heaps.

I've met a few more people around and partied up, there's this lvl 6 chap who seems to know quite a bit about where things are, which is cool. Also, I almost got completely lost in a really large dungeon : S couldn't find the exit for a while.

I'm uploading a whole lot of screenshots to a FB album or w/e so I'll link that when it's done : P

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Downloaded and all in about an hour or so. Tried to log in but the server says "Job" so I assume that means maintenance or something so I will wait a few days and see whatsup (if I'm wrong feel more than free to let me know.) When/If I get in I may make a video or take some decent screen shots and give a short summary. Looks very nice and I am looking forward to playing!

Originally posted by deathlylink

Downloaded and all in about an hour or so. Tried to log in but the server says "Job" so I assume that means maintenance or something so I will wait a few days and see whatsup (if I'm wrong feel more than free to let me know.) When/If I get in I may make a video or take some decent screen shots and give a short summary. Looks very nice and I am looking forward to playing!

Hey that's cool : )

Yea, the server is down for maintenance atm from what I can tell, if you look up the top right on the forums:

http://etherfields.pl/forum/index.php

You can see the status, I'm waiting for it to come back up myself : P

GL in the game and it'd be awesome if you could make a gameplay vid.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

downloaded it in 15mins, though i will say there were some issues getting it done, including one BSOD after installing the SHOX driver, which apparently is some kind of DRM for the game.

it is definetly alpha, but its certainly worth the time to download and install.

only question is, w/o knowing Polish how does one get any gear? i tried targeting a chicken to attack, figuring perhaps it was old school work your way up, but to no avail.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• boulibratboulibrat Member Posts: 17

i  was now on forum this game and i do not believe.  3500 members registers now!!! when i was last time 2 days ago was only 2000.  Thoughts that game will be popular  :)

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by chelan
    downloaded it in 15mins, though i will say there were some issues getting it done, including one BSOD after installing the SHOX driver, which apparently is some kind of DRM for the game.

I had exactly the same problem. While I try to support independent developers, I cannot recommend any game that requires the installation of blatantly dangerous software onto your computer. There is absolutely NO reason why installation of a driver should require restarting your computer, and the BSOD immediately after continuing the download makes me feel that I'm getting some sort of malware installed onto my machine. I don't have any particularly sensitive files stored on my computer but I still think this is at best a serious bug which the developers should make an absolute priority to fix and at worst some sort of underhanded attempt to bypass security functions on my computer.

Because of these issues I recommend against installing this game until the developers make sure the game does not try to screw with your computer.

When will be trailer for this game?  When will be english version? i have assigned these questions on forum but as yet, without answer? :( 

Peelerin, did you seen water effect in this game? i never seen  such like that in mmorpg game.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Checking it out,thnks very much mate.  One of my expectations is to see one day out that which Ddo failed to do. Open world sandbox style with ad&d ruleset.

it is definetly alpha, but its certainly worth the time to download and install.

only question is, w/o knowing Polish how does one get any gear? i tried targeting a chicken to attack, figuring perhaps it was old school work your way up, but to no avail.

First off about the SHOX driver, I'm not sure why it caused you guys to BSOD - I installed it and got prompted to restart, did so and everything was fine. I see no reason to be worried about this, it's a program Black Eye created themselves for EF.

I've found everything apart from doing quests to be easy without knowing polish, the gear vendors are up in the castle - you can click the different dialogue options to check their stores and buy/sell items. Also, about combat - you press F to ready your weapon and L-click to attack, bear in mind you can't currently hold R-click and use L-click to attack, so keep the camera behind you. It's similar to DDO, if a bit sloppy : ) but this is Alpha.

Hope that helps and good luck on your adventures, I hope to see some of you in-game - the world is large and filled with alot of different creatures to kill and things to see, sadly the dungeons aren't populated yet - but yo can still get lost in 'em : P

Boulibrat, yes the water is fantastic! Too bad the swimming animations aren't in yet, so you hit an invisible wall before you get too deep - still, it looks nice : )

and Tazarconan, keep in mind it's early alpha - but I don't think you'll be dissapointed, the game has a certain charm about it. Hope you enjoy it : )

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by F2Pelerin118

First off about the SHOX driver, I'm not sure why it caused you guys to BSOD - I installed it and got prompted to restart, did so and everything was fine. I see no reason to be worried about this, it's a program Black Eye created themselves for EF.

I've found everything apart from doing quests to be easy without knowing polish, the gear vendors are up in the castle - you can click the different dialogue options to check their stores and buy/sell items. Also, about combat - you press F to ready your weapon and L-click to attack, bear in mind you can't currently hold R-click and use L-click to attack, so keep the camera behind you. It's similar to DDO, if a bit sloppy : ) but this is Alpha.

Hope that helps and good luck on your adventures, I hope to see some of you in-game - the world is large and filled with alot of different creatures to kill and things to see, sadly the dungeons aren't populated yet - but yo can still get lost in 'em : P

Boulibrat, yes the water is fantastic! Too bad the swimming animations aren't in yet, so you hit an invisible wall before you get too deep - still, it looks nice : )

and Tazarconan, keep in mind it's early alpha - but I don't think you'll be dissapointed, the game has a certain charm about it. Hope you enjoy it : )

Im always hopefull about indie products that jump out of nowhere. In past usually the good games came like this.Without much advertisements.

As for  combat  it includes attack rolls also?

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I dont know polish but I'm going to give it a shot!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

going to give it another shot. while i won't continue if it still BSODs me, I certainly don't want to imply that this is purposeful, though it did raise my eyebrows a bit.

again, overall the game looks promising and i certainly hope to continue playing it, if not now, perhaps i can try it later on when Shox or Win7 is being less finicky.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

going to give it another shot. while i won't continue if it still BSODs me, I certainly don't want to imply that this is purposeful, though it did raise my eyebrows a bit.

again, overall the game looks promising and i certainly hope to continue playing it, if not now, perhaps i can try it later on when Shox or Win7 is being less finicky.

I replied to (what I assume) is your thread on the EF forums, as I experienced a BSOD aswell while patching the game - but it only happened once and has since been working fine but I posted my BSOD error report, so hopefully they can pinpoint the issue. (I'm on W7 64bit)