Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Now 39 positive reviews so far, Bioware did something right!

Comments

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by nerovipus32

[mod edit] let's not have personal attacks.

I only take reviews of games i like seriously..everything else is a joke in my opinion. 

*chuckles*

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

at the end of the day a review is one persons opinion it doesn't make it a fact.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

Now show me big AAA game hyped beyond imagination NOT getting positive reviews....

/eot

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Wait wait wait an MMO created by a beloved devlover owned by a major publisher using a beloved IP got a good rating by a guy who's website is partial supported by said publisher and played it for maybe 20 hours?   Shocking....

Also the fact that it has a net rating of 86 on Metacritics.  You know what has a better rating then that?  WoW and all of it's exps. Also guess what had the same net rating.  WAR of course. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Shivam

Originally posted by sgel

Dude I thought we were talking the same language :)

I alrleady agreed with your opinion on innovation. What I'm waiting for is the aspects of TOR that you find innovative and that deserve an 8/10 innovation rating.. I mean EIGHT OUT OF TEN.. that's pretty high.. so it must be innovastive pleeeenty.

Show this to me?... and I'll shut up :)

Sigh..there we go again. Why would i want to show you anything when your idea of innvoation is not same as mine? i just discribed why i think SWTOR is innovative.... for you it could be doing something completely new which no MMO has done it yet. So where is your innovative MMO and why you think it is innovative? it is a simple question.

I really don't want you to shut up... i won't be able to get my entertainment out of grumbling and teeth gnashing.

Thanks for proving that SWTOR's innovation score was a clear sign that EA's been shelling out the bribes yet again.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by keithian

8/10 for Innovation... heheh... sure.. give me more positive reviews.. ... please..

Dont see whats funny. The companion system, crafting system, voice overs for an entire MMO, are innovative. Having quests that people just dont see a wall of text and hit accept and role play instead is innovative..because no MMO has done that across an entire game. The only thing close was AOC tortage and that was 20 levels that lasted a couple of days which didn't have choices like we have in SWTOR.

Companion system is not new. Crafting system.. erm.. what about it ?... Voice Overs sure.... that's bringing a single-player story telling system into an MMO.. it's not new.. they just used it in the entire game... does that deserve EIGHT OUT OF TEN?!

The companion system seems to allow a story interaction between you and your companion. If there are other games that do this could you please list them as I don't know of any off hand.

the crafting system takes a bit of the tedium out of crafting by assigning that tedium to your companion. I don't know of any games out there that do this.

On standard voice over is not new. but applying theatrical elements to scenes, including voice overs and then allowing some choice in how you intereact with many of these scenes is new.

Of course each quest isn't going to be ground breaking but I've had many quests that were minor quests but that gave me some element of choice in how it turned out.

This would also be pretty new in an mmo. Unless of course there is another mmo out there that incorporates this?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

{mod edit}

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by fenistil

@OP

Now show me big AAA game hyped beyond imagination NOT getting positive reviews....

/eot

This game was the number one most anticipated game on this site for about a year:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/Final-Fantasy-XIV.html

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

yeah 21 subjective reviews that evaluated NOTHING and didn't do a single honest review, kinda sad when you can get a more honest review from a youtube channel reviewer then the forum websites that post these reviews and the magazines. Seriously where is the demand for higher quality. And GOD forbid you call them out on it they remove your post.

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

Originally posted by Sovrath

8/10 for Innovation... heheh... sure.. give me more positive reviews.. ... please..

Dont see whats funny. The companion system, crafting system, voice overs for an entire MMO, are innovative. Having quests that people just dont see a wall of text and hit accept and role play instead is innovative..because no MMO has done that across an entire game. The only thing close was AOC tortage and that was 20 levels that lasted a couple of days which didn't have choices like we have in SWTOR.

Companion system is not new. Crafting system.. erm.. what about it ?... Voice Overs sure.... that's bringing a single-player story telling system into an MMO.. it's not new.. they just used it in the entire game... does that deserve EIGHT OUT OF TEN?!

The companion system seems to allow a story interaction between you and your companion. If there are other games that do this could you please list them as I don't know of any off hand.

the crafting system takes a bit of the tedium out of crafting by assigning that tedium to your companion. I don't know of any games out there that do this.

On standard voice over is not new. but applying theatrical elements to scenes, including voice overs and then allowing some choice in how you intereact with many of these scenes is new.

Of course each quest isn't going to be ground breaking but I've had many quests that were minor quests but that gave me some element of choice in how it turned out.

This would also be pretty new in an mmo. Unless of course there is another mmo out there that incorporates this?

GW1 and Aika have similar systems... it's not a new concept.

Originally posted by xm522

GW1 and Aika have similar systems... it's not a new concept.

I think "similiar" is the word here.

I don't remember being able to romance the Hero Companion in GW and I suspect that he individual companion stories in SWToR will be continue much like other bioware games as one moves on through the game.

I'm searching to see how Aika does this as I'm not familiar with their companion system.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I don't see how you can see those "new" features as innovative since they bring nothing to the table. Both vo + companion are clearly misplaced in mmo, they are just a Bioware obsession at this point, or at least turned to be an obsession in this game rather than real innovations. They were innovating in the solo player game for sure like 10 or 15 years ago when Bioware were amazing, but not in an mmo, today.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

I don't remember being able to romance the Hero Companion in GW and I suspect that he individual companion stories in SWToR will be continue much like other bioware games as one moves on through the game.

Yes, and one advantage compared to the single player games is that here the game is "never" finished.

The game will always improve with patches and expansions and the stories will go on and grow over time.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by Requiamer

I don't see how you can see those "new" features as innovative since they bring nothing to the table. Both vo + companion are clearly misplaced in mmo, they are just a Bioware obsession at this point, or at least turned to be an obsession in this game rather than real innovations. They were innovating in the solo player game for sure like 10 or 15 years ago when Bioware were amazing, but not in an mmo, today.

Ah, so you prefer the old generation text based mmos with 1 single Ok button.

Full cinematics with multiple choices and direct interaction with full freedom is the future of gaming. SWTOR is on the right track with the RPG part. But you can continue gaming in the past. Hell, I know people who still prefer to play muds, others will never leave EQ1.

Originally posted by BigMango

Yes, and the advantage compared to the single player games is that here the game is "never" finished.

The game will always improve with patches and expansions and the stories will go on and grow over time.

And that's exactly my thought.

I realize some people believe that story doesnt' belong in an mmo. They are welcome to their opinion and I don't doubt that story doesn't appeal to them.

I find it very refreshing as long as I continue to do the heroic quests which offer player interaction.

i play mmo's to interact with other players, if i want a cinematic experience i'll play a single player game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

i play mmo's to interact with other players, if i want a cinematic experience i'll play a single player game.

Well, then you are in luck!

I, as a soloer, have bene grouping more in SWToR than I have in a long time. The heroic missions and flashpoints have been very instrumental in this.

Not only have I had many groups but they have been long sessions as many of the people in the group had other heroic missions as well.

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

If those "reviewers" spoke ill of the game, EA would put their sites in their shit list, and the next day they would be out of business.

They don't even need to bribe em.

Fear keeps them in good order, said Moff Tarkin.

One more proof of what i had said, TOR is absolute evil, a plague.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Full cinematics with multiple choices and direct interaction with full freedom is the future of gaming. SWTOR is on the right track with the RPG part. But you can continue gaming in the past. Hell, I know people who still prefer to play muds, others will never leave EQ1.

No they are not on the right track i'm sorry. And that doesn't mean i liked the text based quest scheme because i never liked it either. The problem is not how you present quests, but how they are. It is called gameplay, if your game play is super basic your quest will be super basic, you can put all the vo you want. Raise the quality of the gameplay and you'll have interesting quests, with or without vo. Games like Assassin's Cred are perfect example of new gameplay and quests types that  don't feel shitty in this game, because it offer something new and to the point with the game. Now make 100 Assassin's Creed clone and people will definitely say its crappy.

Originally posted by Gylfi

If those "reviewers" spoke ill of the game, EA would put their sites in their shit list, and the next day they would be out of business.

They don't even need to bribe em.

Fear keeps them in order, said Moff Tarkin.

too true too true. sad really, they are supposed to be giving people an honest view of the games so we can make better decisions especially in todays economic climate where the vast majority can't afford EVERY game on the market so they need to choose wisely and subjective (rather then objective) views on these games are not needed.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

22 ALL positive reviews so far, Bioware did something right!

Now we know where most of ToR's budget went!

ZINGER!

I remember one guy from gamespot getting fired because he gave a game a negative review, he  just said it how it was..but im sure the people who made the game had paid for a positive review..since then i pay no attention to big site reviews.

No they are not on the right track i'm sorry. And that doesn't mean i liked the text based quest scheme because i never liked it either. The problem is not how you present quests, but how they are. It is called gameplay, if your game play is super basic your quest will be super basic, you can put all the vo you want. Raise the quality of the gameplay and you'll have interesting quests, with or without vo. Games like Assassin's Cred are perfect example of having create gameplay and quest don't feel shitty in this game, because it offer something never and to the point with the game. Now make 100 Assassin's Creed clone and people will definitely say its crappy.

Absolutely i simply cannot wait for GW2 because of this, where you can actually explore get into a zone and suddenly options appear and not static ones either the options CHANGE according to where the dynamic event is so it will always be changing according to participants activities in the area instead of on a timer like RIFT was.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I remember one guy from gamespot getting fired because he gave a game a negative review, he  just said it how it was..but im sure the people who made the game had paid for a positive review..since then i pay no attention to big site reviews.