Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus?

Comments

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by gervaise1

Originally posted by Kaocan

Originally posted by gervaise1

Some people will have stopped playing already; others will stop after the paid for 'free' month; some after 2-3 months if x/y/z is not fixed/added. This is how it has been with recent games and nothing suggests that SWTOR is going to be different.

WAR - 750k registered users at launch, 800k somethings after 6 weeks, 300k subs at the end of months 3 and 6 according to EA; additional servers followed by mergers.

AoC - ditto - 840k initial registered users and seemed to track above WAR, down to 90-120k based on Funcom's earnings guidance after c.9 months.

Rift (a success!) started with 'nearly 1M registered users' and hit 1M sales 3-4m later according to Trion yet additional servers were followed by 'mergers' . managed 1M through sales. Additional serbers initially followed by - roll of the drums ...server mergers/consolidation.  

VSoH was a fabulous example of how much people wanted a game to succeed. Many stuck with it untilthe end of month 3. And then customers left etc. and eventaully SoE stepped in to save the game from closure.

WoW's customers, Blizzard are telling us, are subbing/unsubbing/resubbling faster than ever.

And Zynga gamers are widely reported to hop to the next new Zynga game as soon as it comes out.

So the question is not:  are people 'leaving' or 'not going to sub after thr 30 days it's 'how many?' Keeping 50% will be good.

(And with so much instancing, so many servers, several patches etc. comments along the lines of 'all my friends have left', 'my server is as full as ever', 'my guild has grown/disbanded'  are pretty meaningless this early in the game's life.)

Hate to break it to ya, and everyone else who uses this logic, but 99.999% of the people who 'go back' to thier previous game after the first month or so in a new game...never actually left thier first game of choice. They had no intention of staying any longer, and most of them only tried it because someone else moved ot the game and they moved with them, under protest. 

Anyone who moves to a new game, not because they want to, but because thier guildmates or friends moved will most likely not like it and stay. Its just the truth of it. If you are thinking these people are an accurate representation of a games success you are sorely mistaken. You can't gauge a games popularity by polling people who never liked it in the first place and never had an intention to stay playing it.

As for current population, seeing a LOT more people in game now than I did in the first week or two. The fleet hub is filling up nicely, flashpoints are running almost non-stop at peak times, and no longer hitting nothing but huttball in warzones with a near zero queue time now.

Not quite sure what exactly the breaking news is but you seem to be agreeing that people leave new games. I completely agree that some move because their guild decides to try a new product and that some go back to their old game. Some will also move to the next new game or declare they are burnt out etc.

Not quite sure what people are being polled but the history of all? recent subscription based mmos is big numbers on day 1, lots of people leave after the first month, another lot leave in months 2-3 with some new sales coming in.

US Server status atm: 5.45pm PST, 7.45 CST, 9.45 EST:

Full 0; Very Heavy 3; Heavy 67; Standard 53; Light - the test server

Now this doesn't mean people have left - they could be playing less or maybe they are all watching ... errrr whatever. This is pretty much peak time however.

See when things launched u had alot of full and alot of new servers would be light all the time. Part of what happened is bioware upped the server limits so they dont show full anymore and 2 some peole re rolled on lighter populated servers.

So no mass exodus just people changing servers so they dont have to have que's and bioware upping server limits to make ques less. 

im sure some have left but i havent had any patching issues. my game has patched every time ive tried. 

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by Wookiee6648

I don't know why so many negitive people post things about this game.   But it will not be a failure that is for sure.   Anyone not blinded by emo hate can see that.

They post because they don't like the game... and it's one of the most overhyped games in the history of gaming.

The game won't be a failure since the IP alone can maintain it... but it's a personal dissapointment for many people who wanted a fresh new mmo to play.

No you are just wrong.    People that don't even play the game go over the top in bashing the game.    Maybe this is how sad the world has come I don't know.   Hope not hate to think i wasted 6 years of my life for this **** and the way people act over just a game. 

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

This has been happening since time and memorial players get to a certain cap,or play their first free month it's nothing new its the natural progression of a new Mmorpg and it will happen over and over.Power players hit max level and if the devs do not  make new content the player base will drop faster than a suicidal lemming.

Gradually there will be a curve and the player base will steady as many like myself if i did invest in SWTOR are not obsessed by powering there way in a world record attempt to max a toon will bide their time and enjoy the experience from the view of a steam train instead of a bullet one.

p>
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

lol it's "time immemorial"

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Deleted User

I can't wait until the free 30 days expires. Then the ToR players can take over the official ToR forums. I won't even go there since it is nothing but trolling.

says the deleted user LOL WoW guess he won't be coming back here either. I'd say there is a mixture right now. I refused to play when they started telling me what i could and could not do with my character, with the space combat, and when i played a tiny bit of the beta and found the worlds to be utterly devoid of life. Immersion is a serious thing when i play an mmo and when a Lucas Arts game comes out i demand ALOT more from money like that, That's walkin around money as the saying goes and this is all they could do? spsssh

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I guess after the free month a part of the playerbase will dont sub for this game, other will follow in 1-2 months after they get bored leveling up another alt. Game will have its own niche for sure, but I dont see this game as a WoW killer.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by Deleted User

I can't wait until the free 30 days expires. Then the ToR players can take over the official ToR forums. I won't even go there since it is nothing but trolling.

says the deleted user LOL WoW guess he won't be coming back here either. I'd say there is a mixture right now. I refused to play when they started telling me what i could and could not do with my character, with the space combat, and when i played a tiny bit of the beta and found the worlds to be utterly devoid of life. Immersion is a serious thing when i play an mmo and when a Lucas Arts game comes out i demand ALOT more from money like that, That's walkin around money as the saying goes and this is all they could do? spsssh

You played a tiny bit of a beta, and found the worlds deserted? sigh

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Vegetto

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Vegetto

Same, but it's like countering arguments to try and prove people wrong.

I'm sure people don't want to hate something, especially if they made the effort to buy it and try it out, so it's obviously a case of customer dissatisfaction.

If i spoke to someone at a shop, said a product was not upto the standard i was told it would be, and he said "you're a troll, i love it, you're lying", i would smash his spotty face in.

But vice versa, i wouldn't feel the need to run into the shop and tell him how much i love the product, he would say "and..."?

Need I point out what topic you're in?  You have cause and effect reversed.  You came here, by your own logic to a topic you should have no interest in, and therefor "conflict" should never happen--yes?

That's the basic problem with haters and fanboys--well, there are many problems with the simplistic labels--they're both convinced that the other team's motives is what the problem is.

And we've already seen one motivation revealed upthread.  Some of you (not necessarily yourself) have been at this taunt and bait game for so long that your motivations are no longer impersonal.

Well, basically, i'm really struggling with my servers population at the moment, my guild activity has dropped to 10%, i haven't managed to get a group for a fortnight, so i thought this thread may have people suffering similar.

Although, in a previous post, i was called a liar. It's astonishing people would make things up, if i was grouping, chatting and had a full guild, i would be chuffed. So of course, i questioned my servers population - EU - Hex Droid. It says full, but i can't find people :(

Maybe your biggest problem is that you're ahead of the server's leveling curve?  This is a casual game, targeted at casual gamers, so they're going to level much more slowly than the few dozen people who are already close to max if not already there.  I bet if you played an alt, there would be tons of people in the first three planets.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Torgrim

Been reading a lot on these boards and on other gaming forums that people are leaving TOR before the free month is up, either be it at max level with fully geared toon players or people gotten bored before hitting max level.

Have any of you seen this on your server or less logins in your guild or friends stopped playing?

Well SWToR has virtually 0 replay value, since its pretty much the exact same shit no matter what class you are with no real diffrence, at BEST the most replay value you can get is 1 class on each side, after that the game really has nothing left, SWTOR should never have been a mmorpg, it should have been a single player game, because it pretty much plays like one. Maybe give it a online thing like dragon age and such. But in no way swtor is considered a mmorpg in my book, it has virtually no exploration and virually no straying from the path bioware has laid out, which is what makes a single player game for the most part. When I played during one of the beta weekends i was falling asleep while playing halfway thru the second day because the game was so damned boring and unintersting for me. When you can win almost all fights with your eyes closed spamming the same 1 hotkey, the game has major gameplay issues. The crafting while done well, is most likely worthless at endgame just like in pretty much all themeparks, since it ends up being all about the raidz. SWToT got decent reviews but I bet advertising dollars had alot to do with it, myself? i'd not rate the game above 6/10, due to the bland boring gameplay, completly on rails game experence, piss-poor texturing (seriously I seen ps2 games with far better looking textures), and how in general the game is not innovative in anyway. The combat, classes, and quest based progression were pretty much copy and pasted from WoW, Lotro etc, cept bioware actually managed to make the combat slower and more boring than wow, I honestly did not think that would have been possible.

To put it simply swtor just is 5 years to late to the party, if the game came out 5 years ago, it probally would have been alot better recieved, but now a days the real mmo gamers that make up a majority are just sick of themeparks since thats pretty much all that has come out since wow. Not to be an ass but I honestly hope swtor fails and falls flat on its face, it might show other mmorpg devolopers that the themepark experence just does not cut it anymore. The main complaint with swtor is that it just feels to generic with nothing really there to amaze gamers, bioware didn't even seem to try.

Also before you say "Well it has voice overs.." I will pre-emptivly counter this with: SO what? you still end up going to kill your 5 space pigs or click the glowy sci-fi orb thingy to advance a quest, cept now you just have a ton of annoying voice acting slowing it down. Really its no diffrent than what wow etc offers. Honestly I am surprized the mass exodus didn't start much earlier. I knew from the beta I played that the game was sort of a failure due to being too generic and not enough time was taken on the gameplay sections etc.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Cant really tell, since Niman EU pvp server is normaly Heavy to Full, Republic Fleet feels crowded and so does Belsavis/Hoth etc the games is awsome dont know what your talking about.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by Torgrim

Been reading a lot on these boards and on other gaming forums that people are leaving TOR before the free month is up, either be it at max level with fully geared toon players or people gotten bored before hitting max level.

Have any of you seen this on your server or less logins in your guild or friends stopped playing?

A million people buys an "insert any game title". Can you realy be surprised about ~200k (out of a mill)  leaving it soon after because it's not their cup of tea?? Then there are 1000 of those leavers who are bored and have nothing better to do with their life than whine , troll and do some dooming and glooming on forums and affect people like you.

Now go read something else than forums. Will help you immensely.

Disclaimer :

Numbers I used are not ment to copy SW:TOR numbers, but to represent a general idea and help enlighten a point of view answering OP question.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

The exodus may come but I haven't seen it yet on my server: Vrook Lamar.  The server is still listed as full during my prime time hours and the population in the zones isn't changing day by day.  For example, I've been questing in Nar Shaddaa this week and the pop is always about 130 or so during the times I play.   Gradual exodus?  Maybe.  Mass exodus?  Not yet.  Next month?  Maybe.  In 6 months?  Maybe.  Hell, I just logged out from fleet cantina a few moments ago (it's 2am MST) and there were still 100 people in the zone.

I've heard people on these forums saying their entire guild has quit but for my guild and our alliance guild, there hasn't been a drop -- yet.  The thirty of us are still going strong.  Maybe I'm experiencing an isolated incident of stability on Vrook Lamar but who knows?  I guess only Bioware knows the truth.

As far as replay value being there:  for me it is.  So far, anyway.  I've enoyed my alt and look forward to making another when this one reaches 50 as well. /shrug

We'll all have the answers here very soon, in a matter of months.  Guess we'll find out together.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

No, I foresee that this game has hardly any replay value to me, and while my server SEEMS lifeless, I don't know the actual population.  I've always been more of a fantasy fan to begin with and was never into Star Wars, and while I'm enjoying my two characters' stories, after they're finished, I have no intention of playing a smuggler type so I've effectively seen a large portion of the game's story content and don't care about the rest, nor the negligible differences between "talent trees" in my chosen classes.  A decent enough game, but the first MMO I've felt bad about not having more grinding in it.  Action is what keeps me coming back to games, not a mild deviation in dialog that could change what VO happens.  That's never going to be enough for me to level the same class on another server like I did with WoW.

• ArpatArpat Member UncommonPosts: 27

when i look at the servers on a normal weekday here in europe:

89 server,  87 on standard load. 1 on light and one on heavy.

seems pretty good to me. for a normal working day at 15:30 (3:30 pm)

american servers as expected all light load...

so exodus? not that i have noticed...

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by Arpat

looks like things are going down, last week on Thu and Fri there were none on light, several Heavy, Very Heavy and one or two FULL servers at this time

Originally posted by superniceguy

looks like things are going down, last week on Thu and Fri there were none on light, several Heavy, Very Heavy and one or two FULL servers at this time

last week it was a holliday week... perhaps more people where able to play....

excuses excuses. Last week people were saying that they were back at work and unable to play, for the poor showing last week.

It is still lacking for the first month, as I wouild imagine people would try and play as much as they can to prevent having to to sub. The game should be fresh and exciting still to still sustain full loads

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

I canxed my sub yesterday and reactivate my WoW account that was dead for 6 months.  Found the grp instances lacking and early impressions of FPs are that they are a joke.  Missed WoW's grp content, bash all you want on WoW but there is no denying that WoW has done top notch dungeon/raid content.

My guild pretty much agree that past a 2 months that SWTOR will no longer hold em over because they're there for the story, everything else is "meh" to em. 

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

you doom & gloomers are hilarious. The game is fun & is a sucess and the servers are briming with people. I've been 50 for 2 weeks now & im still not bored as i work my way towards battlemaster. Perhaps its because my server is very pvp oriented so the competition amongst the imp and rep guilds is strong.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

excuses excuses. Last week people were saying that they were back at work and unable to play, for the poor showing last week.

It is still lacking for the first month, as I wouild imagine people would try and play as much as they can to prevent having to to sub. The game should be fresh and exciting still to still sustain full loads

Coming from someone who actually, you know, plays the game, I'm pretty sure the server population caps were raised.  My server has gone from "Very Heavy" or "Full" in prime time to "Heavy" most of the time, yet there are more people on basically every planet that I go to than there was two weeks ago.

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

during prime time there is 250+ in the imperial fleet & 70+ in Ilum on helm of Graush.

now why would i need excuses? LOL... the worst thing that could happen is that i need to find a new game. some names that come into mind: funcom's secret world or kingdom of amalur. both clones or copies from wow ofcourse as all games seem to be according to wow people. (and guess... they always do a bad job in copying. or cloning... )

and now swtor has a "poor showing" ... i really miss to see that. do you have insight in numbers (like current active players?)

Originally posted by sirphobos

Coming from someone who actually, you know, plays the game, I'm pretty sure the server population caps were raised.  My server has gone from "Very Heavy" or "Full" in prime time to "Heavy" most of the time, yet there are more people on basically every planet that I go to than there was two weeks ago.

I've played it too, and do not see that many in it compared to other MMOs. You will not see more than 200 players at a time regardless of server loads, as once 200 players is reached another instance is created. If you saw more now than 2 weeks ago, you are playing in a fuller instance with more people instead of being put into a new instance with less people.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Umm, you do know that Bioware themselves stated they have been gradually raising server caps, right? You expected them to just sit there with so many servers having long ques? They were aware of the issue and spoke on it as far back as December 21st and specifically commented they will gradually raise the ques because they did not wish to do it too quickly.

Originally posted by Zhauric

Umm, you do know that Bioware themselves stated they have been gradually raising server caps, right? You expected them to just sit there with so many servers having long ques? They were aware of the issue and spoke on it as far back as December 21st and specifically commented they will gradually raise the ques because they did not wish to do it too quickly.

Yeah, it explains things from last month to last week, but does not explain things from last week to this week. I doubt they raised the caps when they are now no longer loads at full