Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR Has 350k Concurrent Players and Minimal Impact on WOW ?

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

1. 350k - Source?

2. SWTOR has 0 subscribers at the moment (although those who have signed up for the extended plans would need to cancel)

3. Two basic time zones at the moment which have a small overlap but not much; when is this 350k supposed to be? Some overlap but maybe x2 would be 700k. Considering that 1M+ have registered no surprise. 

4. X players so x4 subscribers - can't say that when a game has first launched as people tend to play (EA talked about an average of 5 hours per person in their press release I recall).

What I find more interesting is the Xfire numbersl nice ramp up during early access but since then very little growth suggesting  few additional sales beyond day 1 / pre-orders.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by stragen001

*snip*

Also, remember the quote from BW or LA (cant remember) saying that the game would be substantially profitable with only 500k subscribers.....

Only? I think they'll be lucky if they can keep 500K subs in 3 months time. If in 6 months time they can still keep 500K subs, they'll really have worked their ass off to keep players entertained.

On topic: 350K concurrent players is impressive, even if it is in the first month.

It should be at least clear by now that this game will not kill WoW.

imageimage
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by gervaise1

1. 350k - Source?

Type it in google it's every where right now, hell just type concurrent MMO players and there are many articles on TOR's 350k.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I can't wait until about April of this year.   That will be the time when we should either see game numbers go up...or game numbers go down, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a drop after the games first month.    From all the negative post about the game on the main forums(which from my memory I have never seen a new game get slammed so badly in such short time) this game could see one of the most massive drops in player base we've ever seen.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,881

Intresting information about WoW: WoW NA achieved 200 000 concurrent users during the Christmas/New Year holiday season 2004 after selling more than 600 000 boxes of that version. So, every third player was online at the same time.

Applying same formula to SWTOR, would mean they'd have sold 1 050 000 boxes to get 350 000 concurrent users. Of course it's not really comparable because

-different games

-SWTOR is new, so players are bound to be playing it a lot now. WoW was already a month old during holidays 2004

-WoW record had only players from NA + Australia and New Zeland. SWTOR's concurrent user numbers come from around the world.

Source for WoW numbers: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050110005275&newsLang=en

PS. BullseyeArc1 could you please post your sources for everyone to see. I think posting information that contradicts Blizzard's official press releases (about how they count their subcribers) without posting a source equals to lying.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Probably because TOR numbers are the Americas and Europe and Austraila only?  Considering that WoW's numbers are primarily Asian now, with huge die offs from America / Europe, I'm not surprised there would be minimal impact.  Now, when TOR hits Japan and the rest of Asia, then we'll see the real battle.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by Teala

From all the negative post about the game on the main forums(which from my memory I have never seen a new game get slammed so badly in such short time) this game could see one of the most massive drops in player base we've ever seen.

Seriously? I don't see this being any different than when other games launched.

...and considering the polarizing nature of this product due to its IP, company backing, and level of hype how is it in the least bit surprising?

Anyways, I do think there is going to be a dropoff not an increase after the first month. We'll find out soon enough though for sure.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Originally posted by Distopia

1. 350k - Source?

Type it in google it's every where right now, hell just type concurrent MMO players and there are many articles on TOR's 350k.

Let me rephrase the question: official source. Just because a website has taken a guess that SWTOR has 350k concurrent subscribers doesn't make it true. 

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

350k online at the same time is pretty impressive. 

Thats not total subscriber numbers btw, thats the amount of people all online at the same time. You can probably quadruple that or more for the amount of subscribers

Also this is just an estimation. There is no basis in fact whatsoever and no stats to back it up.

Quadruple huh?...lol

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Distopia

1. 350k - Source?

Let me rephrase the question: official source. Just because a website has taken a guess that SWTOR has 350k concurrent subscribers doesn't make it true. 

Best I can do is offer up where the info is coming from, the source is an independant research firm "seemingly"...

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by youngkg

350k online at the same time is pretty impressive. 

Thats not total subscriber numbers btw, thats the amount of people all online at the same time. You can probably quadruple that or more for the amount of subscribers

Also this is just an estimation. There is no basis in fact whatsoever and no stats to back it up.

Quadruple huh?...lol

Meh not at all far fetched. With MMO's it's generally a safe bet that no more than 10-20% of your player base will be on at the same time. Which of course fits in with the 1.5mil-2mil players. 

If the 10-20% was to far off the mark often then developers wouldn't use it as a generally guideline :P 

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I'm really amused at all this bashing towards this game, granted it does have many quirks and dear lord, the endgame raids are bugged as hell. But I still don't put this game anywhere even close to the bugged and failed launch level of warhammer or age of conan. We have an 8man raid guild setup with all friends, we all live in Alaska and kinow each other.  We did all WOW raids with ease. Myself being the only Vanilla WOW raider (also played EQ, AO, AC etc etc), we stormed through Rift's content with ease, and now we finished Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palace on Normal and Hard Modes.  We attempted Nightmare but, it literally is a nightmare, and we love the challenge.

Yes it took us 6 tries to kill final boss in Eternity Vault because he bugged and his shield wouldn't break multiple times thus causing the enrage timer to spurt. However we still  enjoy this game, we are all Champion level PVP'rs with one our Marauders already being close to L60 PVP rating. Thus this concludes my only gripe with this game.  We almost finished all the content, our mains are in full 136 epics with a few 140's here and there from crafting.  And now we are stuck with leveling up alts and rinse repeating. Our own fault really, for playing the CB and OB and already playing through the content.  But I must admit, the playtime value will dimish quickly. However, still fun while it lasts.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

SW:TOR doesn't have 10 million players yet? What a failure.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

I can't wait until about April of this year.   That will be the time when we should either see game numbers go up...or game numbers go down, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a drop after the games first month.    From all the negative post about the game on the main forums(which from my memory I have never seen a new game get slammed so badly in such short time) this game could see one of the most massive drops in player base we've ever seen.

Never seen a game get bashed this bad on mmorpg.com?  You're not new so you either have short term memory loss or are just selectively remembering past launches.  EVERY game gets slammed just like this with haters declaring the game a  failure and the fanboys singing the games praises.

We all get you wanted a sandbox and didn't get it, I myself would like a good sandbox after playing swg for at least 3 years but the reality is even if this isn't what you wanted it is what many others wanted.  After playing for the last few weeks I"m still hooked and outside of swg and coh nothing has done the trick for me over the years.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by treysmooth

Never seen a game get bashed this bad on mmorpg.com?  You're not new so you either have short term memory loss or are just selectively remembering past launches.  EVERY game gets slammed just like this with haters declaring the game a  failure and the fanboys singing the games praises.

We all get you wanted a sandbox and didn't get it, I myself would like a good sandbox after playing swg for at least 3 years but the reality is even if this isn't what you wanted it is what many others wanted.  After playing for the last few weeks I"m still hooked and outside of swg and coh nothing has done the trick for me over the years.

I believe she was speaking of the official forums and I agree I have rarely seen so much hate out of the gate on the official boards.  

Then you weren't on the official forums when swg launched. :P

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Corehaven

Im not sure it will ever be like Warhammer.  Or be any kind of failed project. 

But the novelty is going to subside.  This game isnt bad.  I just wouldnt call it necessarily good.  Once people get over it being "STAR WARS!  OMG!  BIOWARE!  WEEEE! " its going to move to the background.  Give it three months and see where it is. 

If it werent for it being Star Wars, and if Bioware didnt have its massive popularity this game would be barely a blimp in the genre because its not particularly well made in comparison to other mmorpgs.  It may improve in time and Im sure it will. 

But again, give it a few months.  This will never kill WoW, and it will never even begin to compare to its success.  Its going to fade into teh background soon enough.  Just wait. 

Yeah...you may be waiting for a LONG time.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

I said main forums, the official forums, not these forums.  Of course we get lots of critical post on games in these forums about games, we also get our share of positive ones, but anyone that goes to the main forums since the game released would know that the game has taken a beating by it's players over there.  Unlike Rift's, where there were more post praising it, SWTOR has an overwhelming amount of post that are critical of it.    As I stated,I have never seen an official games forum for a new games release so one sided and so negative...it is scary to think about what this games population will look like in a month and even scarier in three months.

Bioware has their work cut out for them.   Rampant exploits.   Poo ton of bugs.  Missing features.   If they want this game to be popular they better put on their game face and start really working on making their game better.

I believe she was speaking of the official forums and I agree I have rarely seen so much hate out of the gate on the official boards.  

Oh I was there, and it was nothing like this games forums.  People were not cancelling before the game even went officailly live!  LOL!  People were posting they cancelled during the EGA!

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

What's all this fuss about UK game sales?

When did the UK become the primary market for MMOs?

+1 for curiosity

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I was expecting all along that ToR would have as much of an impact on WoW that Rift did.In other words,not much.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Oh I was there, and it was nothing like this games forums.  People were not cancelling before the game even went officailly live!  LOL!  People were posting they cancelled during the EGA!

One thing that I have learned in my 47 years of existance is that what people say and what people do, are usually two different things.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

As I stated,I have never seen an official games forum for a new games release so one sided and so negative...it is scary to think about what this games population will look like in a month and even scarier in three months.

I have. One successful game that comes to mind that got tore up on the forums in the first few months was WoW. Everything from people bitching about the bugs, exploits, lack of content endgame, ability nerfings, op paladins, op wizards, wekass warlocks, weakass warriors, weakass druids & lack of PvP system being incorporated initially. Then there was the crowd saying the game was going to fail because of Vanguard and the GW. Can't remember which one started first.

I'll say it again with any game that has a huge influx in the beginning seeing things blow up on their forums when the game doesn't pan out the way some thought, rushed to endgame, or simply isn't their thing they're going to take it out on the forums. Besides bitching is what forums are best for.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I have noticed absolutely no change in population on my WoW realm. Orgrimmar is as busy as ever. Maybe people are subbing to both games? Retention for either WoW or SWTOR is the key I guess.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Another terrible, wanna-be news website with sensationalism and no facts. Why is anyone buying into this?

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

Personally I dont care how many are playing. I am here for myself to enjoy it with my guild. I do love the UK though!