Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The hate, what mmorpg.com can do !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Ok, I'm like everyone here. I absolutely hate some mmo's and absolutely love others, and many in between. Some view this as fun others view the arguing as a PvP match with many not liking it at all.

I'm not a gaming programmer or a writer. Hell, I can't even spell very well.  BUT I am technical, and have a lot of knowledge with statistics, charting, categorizing and math.

What can mmorpg.com can do to lower the pain of fighting among mmo's :

Sub categorize mmo's - Video games are categorized by shooters, strategy, hack and slash, mmo's and so on. BUT the mmo list is long and getting longer and even getting out of control.  Time for something new here on this site.

MMO's are to the point that they need to be sub categorized also. If that long list were to be broken down by types, less people are able to complain. make it :

1) Theme park

2) Sandbox

3) F2P

If so, how can you complain if a new release mmo is a F2P if you click on the F2P subtopic ?

Comments

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

thumbs up :)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

No need for that. Just let us "ignore" games we are not interested in. Would reduce me writing stuff into SWTOR threads a lot :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by page

Ok, I'm like everyone here. I absolutely hate some mmo's and absolutely love others, and many in between. Some view this as fun others view the arguing as a PvP match with many not liking it at all.
    I'm not a gaming programmer or a writer. Hell, I can't even spell very well.  BUT I am technical, and have a lot of knowledge with statistics, charting, categorizing and math.

Sub categorize mmo's - Video games are categorized by shooters, strategy, hack and slash, mmo's and so on. BUT the mmo list is long and getting longer and even getting out of control.  Time for something new here on this site.
    MMO's are to the point that they need to be sub categorized also. If that long list were to be broken down by types, less people are able to complain. make it :
    1) Theme park
    2) Sandbox
    3) F2P
    If so, how can you complain if a new release mmo is a F2P if you click on the F2P subtopic ?

The problem with THEMEPARK vs SANDBOX is that all MMO are some part themepark and some part sandbox. It's not a one or the other kind of thing

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• nheL03nheL03 Member Posts: 23

True, nice :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by MMOExposed

1) Theme park

2) Sandbox

3) F2P

The problem with THEMEPARK vs SANDBOX is that all MMO are some part themepark and some part sandbox. It's not a one or the other kind of thing

the problem is sandbox lovers who latch onto games making sandbox claims.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by tom_gore

No need for that. Just let us "ignore" games we are not interested in. Would reduce me writing stuff into SWTOR threads a lot :)

You can just resist the urge to post in threads you aren't interested in. :) From what I understand, we are not looking to implement this sort of feature at the moment.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

I feel like a +/- system on posts would also help with this issue. Although I believe that has already been suggested.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

1) Theme park

2) Sandbox

3) F2P

Our game list is already arranged into many categories, including some of the ones you've listed here. The issues you are seeing have little to nothing to do with categorization. The fact of the matter is, unlike many other sites, we feature forums for just about every MMO in the industry and with how wide the genre has become over the years you have many users here with all sorts of different tastes. Some of them may exclusively post in the game forums that interest them, but others may wander and get into discussions with users who enjoy vastly different experiences, and this is especially true in our general forums where all these personalities and preferences tend to cross over.

This is just the way it is. Gamers are passionate about their preferences and favorite games and so the nature of these boards means there will always be potential for some sparks to fly. We do ask that you all treat each other with civility and respect when discussing topics, even if you strongly disagree, but users will occasionally slip up. Of course, those that make a habit of these "slip ups" don't tend to stick around very long. :)

Originally posted by Meltdown

I feel like a +/- system on posts would also help with this issue. Although I believe that has already been suggested.

I believe we are currently investigating something like this. If and when I have additional information, I'll be sure to let you guys know. :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Meltdown

I believe we are currently investigating something like this. If and when I have additional information, I'll be sure to let you guys know. :)

Horrible idea it should be VERY obvious as to why.You agree with the OP you get + you don't you get -,extremely poor idea and a great way to create yet MORE drama around here.

You know what happens after that?people start using numbers in their threads ,so again MORE drama and gets away from the PURPOSE of discussing games.People will troll other users based on +/- scores ,i guarantee it,because i have seen it on other sites.Can't we just have a MATURE attitude around here? I mean geesh we are talking about discussing INANIMATE objects here [games],NOT wars,lives,disease,jobs ect ect.

Who is fighting?Pretty loose use of the word,sounds like a foregone conclusion.The very idea of a discussion site is to discuss,this means back and forth discussion,i think far too many miss the point or the definition of "discussion".

WHY can't people just discuss games and move on,why they do they feel the need to control another persons opinion with rules or flaming or name calling?

This +/- idea is a form of TAGGING users.I can't speak for others but i am pretty sure they do NOT like to be treated like cattle .put it this way ,would the admin and the staff members like to be tagged like cattle?How about we form a +/- for the admin and staff?

This USED to be one fun site to discuss gaming but sadly since the new regime took foot here it has gone down hill in a bad way.In the words of the admin,i like to say we give the admin a few chances to work it out,"we can work with you".

The fact this is even looked at is disturbing,yet more ways to create more drama.I see the admin is NOT doing a good job of creating a more mature site but looking for more ways to TAG users like cattle..../sad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I can assure you that if we do add a thumbs up/down system to posts there will be adequate checks in place to prevent abuse.