Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you guys like to see/hear about the most?

CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

Hello there.

I'll be doing many more writing assignments related to this title. Thus far, I've done a bit of a flashback, and an interview with the developers.

What more would you guys like to see/hear about?

Would you like to hear war stories from PS1 (to give newcomers a better idea of some of the mechanics)?

Screenshots, previews?

Give me some topics you'd like to know about, and I'll do my best to deliver what I can :)

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

Comments

• mattdelamattdela Member Posts: 7

Definitely previews, as in gameplay from devs showing off the mechanics.

Also, war stores from Planetside 1 players sounds quite fun ^.^

• richstallrichstall Member UncommonPosts: 15

I just wanna know more about what the devs are thinking. A stright simple answer if SOE is keeping planetside planetside, or trying to herp derp the fps into Battlefield 4

• b0bbyZb0bbyZ Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by richstall

I just wanna know more about what the devs are thinking. A stright simple answer if SOE is keeping planetside planetside, or trying to herp derp the fps into Battlefield 4

I think I know what you are saying, but you should be more specific as to what aspects you are referring to in each game.

My biggest question for the developers would have to be what their intentions on hit detection and locational updating are. This is my biggest concern with any FPS game, but when you throw in a massive scale it becomes even more important. PS1 had problems with this, with locational updating being the worst in my eyes. If you're playing a ground soldier, the best way to play is to spam ADADADADADADA(AKA strafe left and right very quick) with some crouches in there in an attempt to exploit the poor updating, allowing players to warp around. Aircraft(mostly mosquitos and to a lesser extent reavers) could simply use their afterburners while turning and "strafing"(for lack of a better flight term) and they would end up either A) facing a competely opposite direction from someone elses's perspective while shooting them or B) end up flying through walls and the ground, teleporting back into the game god-knows where.

As these were the two playstles I used, it eventually killed the game for me even though I was as good as anyone at what I joke wrote about. That wasn't how the game should be played, but you had to do it if you wanted to make any sort of impact.

Hit detection is pretty straight-forward, I would just like to hear how they are doing it. I don't think there's a perfect solution for hit detection on games of this magnitude, but a simple acknowledgement of issues in PS1 and hearing that they are doing what they can would be enough to satisfy me(for hit detection, not the former).

Originally posted by b0bbyZ

I think I know what you are saying, but you should be more specific as to what aspects you are referring to in each game.

Well, in planetside one, each character had enought skill points to be useful in a varity of fields. You could be a medic, heavy gunner, heavy armor guy with very little issues.

I hear talk about classes, where you have set gear and set roles that isnt planetside.

Idk, im just scared. Planetside was the best game i ever played. And i know SOE is a retarded company.

• b0bbyZb0bbyZ Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by richstall

Well, in planetside one, each character had enought skill points to be useful in a varity of fields. You could be a medic, heavy gunner, heavy armor guy with very little issues.

I hear talk about classes, where you have set gear and set roles that isnt planetside.

Idk, im just scared. Planetside was the best game i ever played. And i know SOE is a retarded company.

You had set gear which was in fact what limited what roles you could play in PS(everyone knew a rexo from an agile), you can't use a sniper rifle as infiltrator, can't pilot in rexo gear, etc. Higby has already compared the PS2 system to how it worked in the first one, the reason it's more set in stone is to prevent infiltrators running around with a sniper rifle, allowing them go make certain playstyles more in depth without having to worry about absurdly overpowered combinations.

You had set gear which was in fact what limited what roles you could play in PS(everyone knew a rexo from an agile), you can't use a sniper rifle as infiltrator, can't pilot in rexo gear, etc. Higby has already compared the PS2 system to how it worked in the first one, the reason it's more set in stone is to prevent infiltrators running around with a sniper rifle, allowing them go make certain playstyles more in depth without having to worry about absurdly overpowered combinations.

Could you link this to me? because this inventory / class system will be the Make or break for planetside2

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am rather interested in the engine. It is SOEs new engine which they also plan to use for other games (like EQ Next) and frankly have engines so far been SOEs weakest point.

EQ2s engine as an example runs very badly even on a great modern computer...

So how is the engine looking right now? A laggy experience do hurt any MMO badly no matter how fun the game is.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Weapons.

Bases.

Vehicles.

What's the difference regarding Planetside 1 and stuff.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I'm probably the minority OP, but having some back story to how the game worked in the past might give me insight to where the game. Some war stories would be nice. And if possible, is there anything that puts light on the strategic impacts of winning and losing battles possible?

• foxmirfoxmir Member Posts: 3

Outfits!