Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is swtor dying..Or?

2»

Comments

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by Sarariel

Threads everywhere are too mixed.

I can't tell if the game is dying or if it's going to be a nice stable MMO to play. I don't want to get to into it if it's going to be empty by the time I'm at end game..

The game is brand new. Where did you get the insane idea that the game is dying? There are over 240 servers. All of them running standard to 45 minute wait time at all times. 

"Dying" does not mean that it is actually shutting down, it is more of a phrase to indicate major losses in population or at least the expectation that many will soon cancel their subscription. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

I wouldnt call a game that is dominating more than a quarter of the western market "dying".

What quarter has SWTOR dominated the western market? Or do you consider it possible to dominate 25 percent of a market? You either dominate or you don't. Is it possible to "dominate" 10, 5, 2, or half a percent of the market? When you're the 800-pound gorilla, then you're dominant. SWTOR is not the 800-pound gorilla and probably never will be.

I doubt it's dying already since it barely released, but these thing can happen quickly enough when the game has little stayin power.

imageimage
  • Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

GW2 hate will kill SWTOR hate. The game is awesome and thriving, hundreds of packed servers.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

My queue times to log in say that the people who are claiming the games death are insane...

Every server at 4pm EST has either a "heavy" load or a Queue.   Gunna say thats a healthy sign.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

I wouldnt call a game that is dominating more than a quarter of the western market "dying".

What quarter has SWTOR dominated the western market? Or do you consider it possible to dominate 25 percent of a market? You either dominate or you don't. Is it possible to "dominate" 10, 5, 2, or half a percent of the market?

So Alexander the Great didn't Dominate most of Europe and parts of Asia?

Nah you can only use that word when you actually possess more then 80% of something.

Huh??

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I can't tell if the game is dying or if it's going to be a nice stable MMO to play. I don't want to get to into it if it's going to be empty by the time I'm at end game..

You should ask for a MMO that lets you start at endgame so that you dont have to worry so much.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Zeal77

GW2 hate will kill SWTOR hate. The game is awesome and thriving, hundreds of packed servers.

Its still the included month so it don't count, lets see when it comes time to sub in 18+ days or so, I bet most servers will be ghost towns, thats how it usually goes. I mean swtor is quite a boring and unintersting mmo, its far to linear and has a severe lack of anything to do other than follow the string your forced to. It'll have enough subs to be successful (game doesn't need wow sub numbers to be successful), but I estimate maybe a 15-20% retenion max with how the game currently is. WIll be alot of server merges most likely after the first month you have to pay up. SWToR doesn't have long-livability atm due to how linear it is, it lacks any replay value past playing 1 char thru each faction, the 2nd time u play a char other than class quest its the exact same thing all over again, swtor should have been a single player game, because its not fit to be called a mmorpg and lacks the basic features that makes a mmorpg a mmorpg, it could have some online play thats free though.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

Back to the OP's question, I'm neither a fanboi or a hater.  I received the game as a gift, so I installed it and started playing 4 days ago.  I've only put about 12 hours into the game, but when I made my character I joined a server that was listed as Light population.  This was in the late afternoon/early evening.  24 hours later when I logged in to play again the server was listed as Heavy population, and many more servers were showing as Full than the previous day. Will it be this way after everyone's free month?  Hard to tell.  My initial thought would have been to guess it will lose about 20% of its players after the free month is over, but seeing the server populations grow so much over the course of a day really makes me second guess. All things aside, this is a polished AAA game with a huge investment and deep pockets behind it, and it had minimal (if any) launch issues. Like the game or hate it, TOR will be around for the long haul.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Why don't we just wait, SWTOR Defenders and haters are looking really dumb as ell right now.

Some assuming it's going to die, adn then you got some putting it's stats compared to WoW and even one trying to make it sound impressive that it's sales were better than Skyrim's PC(yet it targets consoles and isn't an MMO.)

Facepalm into oblivion.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by RizelStar

Why don't we just wait, SWTOR Defenders and haters are looking really dumb as ell right now.

Some assuming it's going to die, adn then you got some putting it's stats compared to WoW and even one trying to make it sound impressive that it's sales were better than Skyrim's PC(yet it targets consoles and isn't an MMO.)

Facepalm into oblivion.

Oh but they can't do the logical thing. You see, its a biological imperative by certain portions of the population to fear monger and figure they are within their right to do so. 

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

adn then you got some putting it's stats compared to WoW and even one trying to make it sound impressive that it's sales were better than Skyrim's PC(yet it targets consoles and isn't an MMO.)

Facepalm into oblivion.

We are talking first week sales. Nothing more.

Gaming magazines all over the world are making these comparisons.

Seeing the problems and/or the much lower sales mmos have faced during the past years, including the big IPs like lotro, WAR, AOC,..., the highest sales in the past 7 years is certainly notable.

As for Wow, it is the only PC mmo with sales in front of TOR. So of course people are going to compare to it , what did you expect?

And Skyrim PC is the game of the year. The big non-mmo games have much higher sales than mmos. Furthermore, on every RPG gaming forum you go you will see that many of the players with both consoles and PC will usually prefer to play the PC version due to the better gfx, texture patches, the mods for added longevity and improvements this kind of game has, which is not the case with the usual other multi platform games. As such, Skyrim is also a worthy comparison, especially since it's also an RPG game that many mmoRPG players play. Also, how many PC only RPGs have exceeded these first week sales since Diablo (how many years ago was this again?)?.

Here for you:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/

But while facepalming yourself into oblivion you obviously can't think, so you are excused.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Im not playing SWTOR and most likely i will never play it, but if you have read somewhere that this game is suffering from any kind of sudden loss of player base or even that this is a bad game and no one is subscribing it, i can tell you now, access your web or firewall settings and block that website...it is probably momma troll and where all little trollings are born.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Siveria

Originally posted by Zeal77

Its still the included month so it don't count, lets see when it comes time to sub in 18+ days or so, I bet most servers will be ghost towns, thats how it usually goes. I mean swtor is quite a boring and unintersting mmo, its far to linear and has a severe lack of anything to do other than follow the string your forced to. It'll have enough subs to be successful (game doesn't need wow sub numbers to be successful), but I estimate maybe a 15-20% retenion max with how the game currently is. WIll be alot of server merges most likely after the first month you have to pay up. SWToR doesn't have long-livability atm due to how linear it is, it lacks any replay value past playing 1 char thru each faction, the 2nd time u play a char other than class quest its the exact same thing all over again, swtor should have been a single player game, because its not fit to be called a mmorpg and lacks the basic features that makes a mmorpg a mmorpg, it could have some online play thats free though.

Nearly everything you said is false, just so you know.  Talk about missing the mark.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I doubt its dying. While I highly doubt it will be a huge success, I'm pretty confident people will at least finish their free month. A game will start losing population more rapidly about a month or so after release. I'd say in 6 months the population will be drastically lower. Still, being stawars gives it a free ride. Lets face it, SWG wasn't that great of a game, and yet the sw brand helped to carry that game on for some time (and btw, I did enjoy it myself, in case you think I'm just trolling). 

A new game won't typically start to decline until a few months after release in a larger scale. The only thing that could expediate that is if there is a massive game flaw that pushes people away before their months are actually up.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Moirae

Facepalm into oblivion.

Oh but they can't do the logical thing. You see, its a biological imperative by certain portions of the population to fear monger and figure they are within their right to do so. 

Ahh understandable

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Blacknd

This forum is a terrible representation of the health of a game.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Lidane

Just because there are people in this forum that dont like SWTOR, others that dont even know what SW is but dont like it anyway, haters and trolls alike, you will find eventually that it is a reality found in every gaming website!!! Come on, what are you telling here, that only people that like a given game are allowed to post??

Also there are alot of people here showing love for SWTOR, many supporters and many people with mixed reactions.

Also i have seen alot of love given to SWTOR by MMORPG staff...so what are we talking about here friend? image

Its cool to end a post with an emote...heres mine image

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by Chimps

If there's anything i've learned it is that MMORPG forum is always wrong when it comes to how good a game is.

The game isn't dying lmfao, you're safe to play the game. Just remember not to bother with the whining kids on this forum, they are seriously retarded when it comes to games.

You do realize, don't you,  the irony of giving someone game advice as a user of this site right after you basically called all users of this site 'always wrong' and 'seriously retarded when it comes to games'?

Please don't take this the wrong way. I dont know how long you have been on this site, apperantly not long enough if U havint seen it yet for yourself, but, no matter how good a game is on this site. There are always people complaining and whining about how bad it is. So Yes they are Mis-informed and mostly always wrong, because half of the good mmo's on this site are always bashed while the horrible ones are bashed even more.

So yes if your going to this site trying to find out if a game is dying or not. This isnt the place to really find that out, because apperantly half of this sites community seems to have brainwashed themselves into believing that apperantly every theme park MMO is dying, and that sandbox MMO's don't exsist anymore. Which is total bs. The only thing not bs on this site are the ones actually playing these games, instead of whining about them in a forum that most gamers don't even give a damn about.

This isn't the place to ask yourself this. You should try playing the game for yourself to see how many people are playing.

Originally posted by Clerigo

Also there are alot of people here showing love for SWTOR

maybe you need to take another look at how many negative threads have been posted on ToR on mmorpg.com compared to the positive ones. I think you will see that most of them are negative...

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by trash656

Originally posted by Clerigo

Also there are alot of people here showing love for SWTOR

maybe you need to take another look at how many negative threads have been posted on ToR on mmorpg.com compared to the positive ones. I think you will see that most of them are negative...

There are plenty, and have been plenty, of threads that come from both extremes. Trying to claim that thread titles are leaning toward negativity, I might agree with you, but if you were to read through them all I think you'd find that the supporters of TOR are steadfast in defending their game, and make just as strong an appearance as those who aren't in favor of the title.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

There are enough threads discussing this topic. I'm going to lock this up.

This discussion has been closed.