Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isteria or Ultima?

RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I'm not sure which one of these games to play! I've played both in the past and actually like them.  I love crafting games and I am regular in ATITD. But, I'd also like another game to play when I'm not in the mood for ATITD.  I've been looking at Xysom (sp?). but, I can't afford to buy the game at the moment. Well, technically I can, but my funds are needed elsewhere at the moment. I'm happier with the "free client, then 14 days later start the sub" type playing right now.

Anyway, I also tried Mortal Online. Well, I tried to play it, but it crashed a bunch and never could load my character's from the startup screen. After 2 days of that, I uninstalled. I don't know how I would fare in a open PVP world, anyway. I've played EVE, a nd I like it, but its not my thing.

And lastly, I've played EQ2, which I actually like. I had a sub there (ironically, I got a sub AFTER it went f2p. I don't like the free classes at all!) But, I canceled it for the moment to try something else out. I mainly want crafting and adventuring and to be able to switch up at any time. I want housing that I can customize and I want to gather, craft and sell stuff.  I started doing this in EQ2. I was going to turn one of my homes into a shop, but I keep reading how crafted items are not selling. Even though I'm doing this for fun, I still don't want to waste my time.

Oh and I've played Haven and Hearth and really like it. I think they just did a world wipe, which I'm not really down for. So, I haven't been back recently.

Now, since I tend to be long-winded, there's my point.  I want:

• Housing and the ability to be creative. Decorations, furniture, possibly paint, etc

• Crafting that means something. Like, I can be an awesome cook and be in demand.

• Lots of places to explore and tons of quests and/or puzzles

I've just finished my trial of Isteria and I'm on to another trial of Ultima. I did like UO when I played it before, but I was just kinda unset that I couldn't try the housing system before my trial was up. I understand why they have it set up they way they do, but I still wanted to!

Thanks!

Comments

• Have you tried Vanguard, LOTRO, or Runes of Magic? - all have housing and crafting.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Avoid Xsyon like a plague. that game is a flop. LOTRO and EQ2 are okay, but crafting in them is optional and for the most part, it's hard to be a crafter until higher levels because people rarely buy newbie stuff in AH.

I would suggest the following:

-Wurm Online (free at first, 5$ sub later if you like it) -> the graphics and the UI are kind of hard to get used to at first, but if you like UO, you'll probably see this as an improvement.

you craft/build your own living. everything is player made, it's very slow, but kind of rewarding. it's a lot like Heaven and Hearth, but in 3d. 

-Eve Online

it wasn't my cup of tea at first either, but the more you play the better that cup gets! you can totally craft/gather/sell stuff within the first week of playing and make some really advanced things later on.

-Ryzom

f2p for the most part, until lvl 125

I've heard/read good things about this title, but could never get into it.

you do craft/make your own equipment and spells and it seems like there's no limit to what you can make. not sure about housing though, but gathering and crafting are the biggest parts of this game

-Darkfall Online

this is a difficult game to recommend as it has some of the most brutal gaming rules, but the crafting in it is actually the most fun I've hard since UO. it's even better than UO I think. but you do get ganked a lot, so beware. 

*Minecraft/Terraria

not really an MMO, but both have a multiplayer feature and are amazing for crafters/builders. Terraria was on sale last I checked too

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I've actually tried and liked most of the games listed. I only picked Utlima or Isteria, because they are the only games that will let you build communities and I think they also have active roleplayers around if I feel like doing that too.

I did enjoy Wurm and I subbed for a few months. $5 bucks a month isn't bad at all. But, it was too slow for me. I remember my first "camp". I build a stone wall around the cart that I'd built. I felt really accomplished and was going to start leveling the woods around me and build a little cottage. But, that game is really, really slow. Back then, my son was a newborn and slept the day away while I played, now I don't have much time. So, as a really casual player, I can see myself getting really getting frustrated fast. I may give it a shot and see what happens, though.

As for the other games, I do like them, but I either got tired of them fast or never got into them. Rysom, I never got into. EVE, I love, but orginally, I played the game for the corp drama. I can't remember the rest, 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will revisit a few other games.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

from what you did write i think istaria would be probably really best for you

you can also at least try haven & hearth, which is someth like 2d wurm