Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-release foolishness, and tricks

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I was playing video games for many years even before the internet.  There was no marketing what so ever for video games back then. I've been fooled by reading the back of the box of games many times. I payed for trash games so many times, like a bad car accident I don't like to even think about it.

Now we have marketing :

Remember Warhammer ?...Mystic was the best.  Remember the fantastic Cinematic Videos they produced.  Remember Mr. Barnett, that funny guy they hired to hype the game ?...He was good, he even fooled me. Even after I made a commitment to never get fooled again. What did we get ? An mmo that they could not code to play with massive amounts of people for RvR, so what did they do ? They gave all the experience to Scenarios, yes, Battle grounds. Everyone got so sick of battle grounds and soon quit. No one EVER SEEN THAT COMING.

Remember Vanguard ?...Should I say more ?

Remember Age of Conan ?...You had to do off official site studies to find that the game is on rails, with pathing, and very liner game play. Did the developers ever tell you that, No, It was all legal.

Remember Rift ?....This game was another game on rails, Yet players to this day never realized it. They were tricked How ? Let me explain :    Yes, you can go anyplace on the map.  But quest hubs were not opened up until you were ready, then they were all chain quest.  This made it very liner.  Players could not play together depending on what part of the chain quest you were on, people quit this game like crazy.  Why is Rift still popular ?...Mass marketing, still to this day.  They are almost giving the game away at five and ten dollars a copy.

Remember EverQuest 2....It was a coding mess, even to this day it's hit and miss as far as if it would run on many computers.  SOE's advertisement. They are good !...instead of the traditional " hay, buy our mmo ".  They would make another Expansion and call EverQuest a new game all over again, leaving us with a mess of a game that was peaced together like a jig saw puzzle.  For the new player....Just try and figure out the map system and where to go, I offer you this challange !

I could go on and on forever, so instead let me ask you :

- Why do you think Pre-Release Cinematic Cut scenes have anything to do with Game play ?

- Why do you think one million copies sold the first day, make a game good ?

- Why do we all get fooled by marketing, over and over again ?

- Why do we let developers of mmo's give us half a game, with missing features.

- Why do we blame the players for not grouping, playing together and no community, when it's most often the dynamics of how an mmo is built ?

I guess we don't have a choice, {mod edit}

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Originally posted by page

- Why do you think Pre-Release Cinematic Cut scenes have anything to do with Game play ?

- Why do you think one million copies sold the first day, make a game good ?

- Why do we all get fooled by marketing, over and over again ?

- Why do we let developers of mmo's give us half a game, with missing features.

- Why do we blame the players for not grouping, playing together and no community, when it's most often the dynamics of how an mmo is built ?

1)  Not much.  That's why you ignore them.  Don't you?

2)  It doesn't.  I can understand why a company would care about pre-orders, but why should players?

3)  We?  Speak for yourself.  I wait until some months after a game launches to pick it up.

4)  If it's a good enough half of a game, then does it really matter that it's only half?  And if it's not good enough, then don't play it until it is.

5)  I don't do that.  I've long complained that many MMORPGs simply assume that players will magically get a proper group without putting any consideration into where that group will come from.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I played warhammer.  I have no problem with battleground(scenario) etc.

What I dont' like is people actually avoid fight and go to conquer empty castle.

World pvp always have problem with people trade kills.  There are high lvl people trading kills for token.  And I remember people trade kills in castle for boots.  Anyway that's a long time ago, I dont' know how it is now.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

You describe a real flaw in all media from commentary to video games to movies to CNN and Fox. it's all choreographed and sanitized. It's about the sell. Knowing that though, make your choices accordingly.