Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespy MMO game of the year and the winner is...

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Combat wise, Rift blows TOR out of the water. Sure TOR may have flashier animations, but that does little when they don't go off when you want them to!

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Braindome

Originally posted by nerovipus32

i would give it to rift honestly, at least they tried something new. It only got mmo of year because it says star wars on the box. open world pvp where you get not xp for killing players = fail.

I'm with you, Rift may not have been all that great, but it is a better game.

Yeah Rift has such stiff combat and slow gameplay, definitely deserves game of the year....not.

And SWTOR doesn't?  That is one of the most disliked aspects of SWTOR is its clunky and unresponsive combat.   There were two huge threads on it here on these forums, and a gazillion on the official forums, in fact here..take a look at this thread.   http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=105955

There is nothing "clunky" about the combat.  In fact, it's the most enjoyable tab-target combat I've experienced in an MMO.  The "unresponsibe" bit only every occurs to me in PvP, which leads me to believe its an optimization issue more than a combat issue, as PvP in this game is unfortunately a bit too laggy.  That's something they are going to need to fix.

TOR is a vastly superior game to Rift.  Rift released with the hope of pinning its hopes on two original features:  Rifts/Invasions and the soul system.  The Rifts and Invasions have basically become an afterthought because of Trion's insistance on making the game less about them and more about raiding at level cap, and the soul system, while interesting and fun to deal with, has been horrendous in terms of class balance and yields a new FoTM build after every single patch it seems.  And the fact that you can plug in any spec you want at any single time takes away individuality and the consequence of choice, since any player can do anything at any time.  

I have no issues with Rift winning the MMO of the Year award for 2011 because I don't think TOR, or any MMO, should be given that honor until it's been out in the market for at least a few months to take into account developer reaction to feedback and content updates.  I think TOR should be judged in 2012, instead of 2011.  So, that being the case, Rift would have to win MMO of the Year since it was the only AAA game released this year and the other MMOs simply didn't do enough to justify giving it to them.  However, there is little argument to be made for Rift being a better game.  I've played both, and TOR kills Rift in just about every single aspect.  

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Braindome

Originally posted by nerovipus32

i would give it to rift honestly, at least they tried something new. It only got mmo of year because it says star wars on the box. open world pvp where you get not xp for killing players = fail.

I'm with you, Rift may not have been all that great, but it is a better game.

Yeah Rift has such stiff combat and slow gameplay, definitely deserves game of the year....not.

And SWTOR doesn't?  That is one of the most disliked aspects of SWTOR is its clunky and unresponsive combat.   There were two huge threads on it here on these forums, and a gazillion on the official forums, in fact here..take a look at this thread.   http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=105955

There is nothing "clunky" about the combat.  In fact, it's the most enjoyable tab-target combat I've experienced in an MMO.  The "unresponsibe" bit only every occurs to me in PvP, which leads me to believe its an optimization issue more than a combat issue, as PvP in this game is unfortunately a bit too laggy.  That's something they are going to need to fix.

TOR is a vastly superior game to Rift.  Rift released with the hope of pinning its hopes on two original features:  Rifts/Invasions and the soul system.  The Rifts and Invasions have basically become an afterthought because of Trion's insistance on making the game less about them and more about raiding at level cap, and the soul system, while interesting and fun to deal with, has been horrendous in terms of class balance and yields a new FoTM build after every single patch it seems.  And the fact that you can plug in any spec you want at any single time takes away individuality and the consequence of choice, since any player can do anything at any time.  

I have no issues with Rift winning the MMO of the Year award for 2011 because I don't think TOR, or any MMO, should be given that honor until it's been out in the market for at least a few months to take into account developer reaction to feedback and content updates.  I think TOR should be judged in 2012, instead of 2011.  So, that being the case, Rift would have to win MMO of the Year since it was the only AAA game released this year and the other MMOs simply didn't do enough to justify giving it to them.  However, there is little argument to be made for Rift being a better game.  I've played both, and TOR kills Rift in just about every single aspect.  

Except the aspects that actually matter like you know, content and customization. Also, if you think that TORs combat isn't clunky then you should go back and play WoW again cause your missing the point.

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

Personally I don't think any game that has been only released for 2 weeks deserves any type of  awards. Just shows how desperate the genre is. Great publicity for SWToR that's for sure. Well deserved? Far from it. Makes me think who are really behind the decisions for these awards, the community or the all mighty dollar?

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by Shivam

Exactly how i feel. Yes game isn't perfect but positives overshadows all the negative making it to be a very enjoyable experince.

^ This.

I'm tired of all the whining and complaining about the game. If you love it, play it. If you hate it, play WoW. 

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

I cant helpmyself, but it seems to me that for some reason Bioware si getting 'preferencial treatment ' from game media. DA2 was disapointment (and still got better reviews from magazines than witcher 2)  and now again SWTOR clearly winning mmo of the year is again very very unfair to Rift. SWTOR is out few days, it's far from perfect game and every sane person playing mmos for few years knows you simply CANT judge mmo on its lunch - giving it mmo of the year based on few days after lunch is simply joke.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by warbot7777

Originally posted by Shivam

Exactly how i feel. Yes game isn't perfect but positives overshadows all the negative making it to be a very enjoyable experince.

^ This.

I'm tired of all the whining and complaining about the game. If you love it, play it. If you hate it, play WoW. 

Same can be said of the fans who are die hard defenders. If you love it play it and don't worry about others thoughts. If you hate it speak with your wallet.......  and on these forums.  I like hearing from both sides of the discussion but I have to say it hasn't helped me make the decision not to play this POS as much as watching my friend play his christmas gift. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by FlawSGI

It also clearly lacks things that some feel make it a good game. I also feel it is to shallow to really be conciddered a MMO and realy is KOTOR 3 with multiplayer options. Add the name on the box and the fact that it just came out and you can see why some think the game sold on IP and hype alone rather than it's "Award Winning" gameplay. While I got bored of Rift before initial month was over, I also think it deserves the title more than TOR and I wouldn't say that if 2011 actually had any decent MMO's which it didn't.

When compared to the competition (Rift in this case) it lacks nothing though.  Its certainly no less shallow than Rift or Wow, since the mechanics are almost identical across all three games.  In fact, SWTOR offers a deeper solo aspect than either of those two games while having comprable amount/quality dungeons, raids and battlegrounds.

I dont buy the argument that just because the solo aspect is better that it magically makes the standard MMO components inferior to the competition.

Basically if you want to say its too shallow to be an MMORPG, then you really have to say the same about Rift and WoW.  You can say the strong solo aspects make you less inclined to enjoy the MMO aspects, but thats a personal issue (not saying others dont feel the same way) and not because the other things arent there/quality.

Originally posted by Malevil

I cant helpmyself, but it seems to me that for some reason Bioware si getting 'preferencial treatment ' from game media. DA2 was disapointment (and still got better reviews from magazines than witcher 2)  and now again SWTOR clearly winning mmo of the year is again very very unfair to Rift. SWTOR is out few days, it's far from perfect game and every sane person playing mmos for few years knows you simply CANT judge mmo on its lunch - giving it mmo of the year based on few days after lunch is simply joke.

Not that Trion didn't line people's pockets either (I can guarantee they paid more money to MMORPG than Bioware did...you think rift being near the top of the games free to play list and games like eq2 or AoC almost never being there is a coincidence?), but its not like Rift was this unbelievable game.

Maybe they didnt want to give MMO of the year to a game that lost over 2/3rds of its playerbase and has shown to have a very niche long term appeal.  Which may describe SWTOR too but we don't know that yet.

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

I've played both, and TOR kills Rift in just about every single aspect.  

Except the aspects that actually matter like you know, content and customization. Also, if you think that TORs combat isn't clunky then you should go back and play WoW again cause your missing the point.

Content?  You can't be serious that Rift is better in content.  SWTOR's content is clearly more abundant, thats not even a debate.  And the quality level is certainly comparable.

The clunkiness issue in ToR mostly effects melee PvP.  I very rarely notice it, and will refuse to worry about it too much unless its not fixed in a month or two.  95% of the time the combat is as smooth as Rift, and IMO more fun (the abilities have more of a 'cool' factor to them and I dont like the combo point sytem that half of rift's classes use)

Originally posted by teakbois

It also clearly lacks things that some feel make it a good game. I also feel it is to shallow to really be conciddered a MMO and realy is KOTOR 3 with multiplayer options. Add the name on the box and the fact that it just came out and you can see why some think the game sold on IP and hype alone rather than it's "Award Winning" gameplay. While I got bored of Rift before initial month was over, I also think it deserves the title more than TOR and I wouldn't say that if 2011 actually had any decent MMO's which it didn't.

When compared to the competition (Rift in this case) it lacks nothing though.  Its certainly no less shallow than Rift or Wow, since the mechanics are almost identical across all three games.  In fact, SWTOR offers a deeper solo aspect than either of those two games while having comprable amount/quality dungeons, raids and battlegrounds.

I dont buy the argument that just because the solo aspect is better that it magically makes the standard MMO components inferior to the competition.

Basically if you want to say its too shallow to be an MMORPG, then you really have to say the same about Rift and WoW.  You can say the strong solo aspects make you less inclined to enjoy the MMO aspects, but thats a personal issue (not saying others dont feel the same way) and not because the other things arent there/quality.

Well I did say that I would give the leg up to rift only because of lack or competition. The rest of your post was all a POV. My POV doesn't agree that it has a better solo aspect at all. To me the game is overly story driven and the MMO aspect clearly takes a back seat to it. And yes I do concidder it lacking in a lot of things and quite a number of them have been mentioned to death in these forums so I won't turn this into a I hate TOR thread at all.

While you are correct that it offers comparible amount of dungeons, raids, and battlegrounds, it is the quality portion that also is a POV. I feel the story is all the game has over other games and the rest is mediocre.

Where I see the shallowness is the gameplay itself, the lackluster craft system that doesn't encourage any sort of community or economy, the story driven conent steers the game more towards solo play IMO and will wear thin pretty quickly, the over railing of the game that steers you from beginnig to end ( i know it's themepark but others have offered a little choice), and in general the environment in and of itself. the world looks and feels dead and the sence of exploration is non existent.

Does a game have to have all of these to be a MMO imo? No it doesn't but to be lacking in all of these, to me, makes the game feel a lot like a continuation of KOTOR with added multi players. No the solo aspects don't make me inclined to stay away from the MMO aspects, but the games design really does little to encourage it. Just my two cents and as I said in the beginning, its all POV.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Oh boy, here we go again with the SWTOR vs MMO X... Some folks are so desperate to downplay whatever they don't like. However, what many of you lack is the ability to perceive that not everyone thinks the same way YOU do. Keep criticizing the game all you like, but to patronize others as if what you say is the absolute truth is not only ridiculous, but very disrespectful.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Rift was just another same old wow clone.

SWTOR at least has a better questing experience and a big IP.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Where I see the shallowness is the gameplay itself, the lackluster craft system that doesn't encourage any sort of community or economy, the story driven conent steers the game more towards solo play IMO and will wear thin pretty quickly, the over railing of the game that steers you from beginnig to end ( i know it's themepark but others have offered a little choice), and in general the environment in and of itself. the world looks and feels dead and the sence of exploration is non existent.

But we are comparing this to Rift essentially for the sake of the award.  And Rift is on rails, heavily streamlined toward solo play, and the enviornment is dead.  like Ive said, SWTOR shares many of rift's flaws.

The whole solo aspect will go away at 50, when just like WoW and rift before it goes from majority solo content to majority group content.

And the crafting is far deeper than Rift and its tough to judge the economy of a 2 week old game.

Your complaints are valid, but they are even more so valid with Rift

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Wow, Rift game of the year instead of SWTOR bcs of its technically good execution.
    Rift - well, technically the "Electric Chair" is a well thought working piece of furniture and yet nobody wants to sit on it, so technical execution isnt anything ;)

No, SWTOR is the better game overall:
    Immersion
    VO-Quests + Spectator mode in group
    Companions
    Pace
    Duo-ability
    Crafting

All better than in Rift and still having room for improvement.
    I agree about Skyrim and that it deserves to be GOTY and hope it will mark the starting point to the development of virtual, adventurous worlds again.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

After reading some of the comments in this thread, I'm speechless.

It's sad when I see a name or an avatar and know what I'm going to read before looking at the post.  I think a couple people around here need to drop their little personal crusade and move on already.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

Originally posted by teakbois

But we are comparing this to Rift essentially for the sake of the award.  And Rift is on rails, heavily streamlined toward solo play, and the enviornment is dead.  like Ive said, SWTOR shares many of rift's flaws.

The whole solo aspect will go away at 50, when just like WoW and rift before it goes from majority solo content to majority group content.

And the crafting is far deeper than Rift and its tough to judge the economy of a 2 week old game.

Your complaints are valid, but they are even more so valid with Rift

I will agree with you on your points. I am not here to compare game X to game Y in all honesty seeing as how I said I would only give Rift the not due to lack of competition what 3 times now? I am saying I would not have given TOR the nod based on its release date. I do not defend Rift because I thought the game was pretty boring for the same resaons I dislike TOR and you nailed them. I just think TOR is getting this award for the reasons I said in my origional post and that was IP and hype because it can't be for the game itself having only been out a couple weeks now. Regardless of my feelings towards either of the games discussed, the fact that TOR won out over the only other AAA MMO released this year makes me take anything gamespy says with a grain o the ole salt.

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

Giving this game MMO of the year when it has only had less than a month of time active is inane. Better to give Rift that award as that game had "new" features compared to swtor which poorly copied the systems of the leading MMO on the market and is more a single to duel player passive movie based online game.   

Originally posted by stealthbr

Oh boy, here we go again with the SWTOR vs MMO X... Some folks are so desperate to downplay whatever they don't like. However, what many of you lack is the ability to perceive that not everyone thinks the same way YOU do. Keep criticizing the game all you like, but to patronize others as if what you say is the absolute truth is not only ridiculous, but very disrespectful.

Not sure who you are speaking to with the holier than thou, but from the responces on this thread I don't see anyone speaking for all and claiming they have the only truth. Decent discussions and points being made here so lets not be disrespectful by putting words in others mouths hmm.

I will agree with you on your points. I am not here to compare game X to game Y in all honesty seeing as how I said I would only give Rift the not due to lack of competition what 3 times now? I am saying I would not have given TOR the nod based on its release date. I do not defend Rift because I thought the game was pretty boring for the same resaons I dislike TOR and you nailed them. I just think TOR is getting this award for the reasons I said in my origional post and that was IP and hype because it can't be for the game itself having only been out a couple weeks now. Regardless of my feelings towards either of the games discussed, the fact that TOR won out over the only other AAA MMO released this year makes me take anything gamespy says with a grain o the ole salt.

Well they have been playing the game and its a good bet they had access to beta as well, so they are going off of personal experience to a degree.  I agree with you that its too late for SWTOR to be MMO of the year, but then again War Horse is in the running for Best picture and it was released at the same time and movies released earlier in the year have had time for their hype to fade.

Originally posted by Sojhin

Giving this game MMO of the year when it has only had less than a month of time active is inane. Better to give Rift that award as that game had "new" features compared to swtor which poorly copied the systems of the leading MMO on the market and is more a single to duel player passive movie based online game.   

Explain to me what rift did that was so new outside of invasions (which isnt even technically new because EQ1 had a zonewide invasion 10/31/99)

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Its like the Emmys.

Everything on TV is crap, but they still have to have an awards show.

So Breaking Bad, Justified and Boardwalk Empire were all bad TV according to you?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yeash, EA sure paid a lot of money to get their game that spot, specially considering how little time it was out. Please be more obvious!

I really wish review sites weren't so bias based on how much they get paid for their opinion. Its really shameful. Sure, you can call SWtor a game you like, but if the most mediocer MMO p2p release ever done is considered "Game of the Year" in such short time of being out, I'm sorry but your just screaming out 'tool'.

At least they seem to feel guilty enough to point out the flaws in the game even when they were paid to praise it and rate it high. 

It might not be the worst game released, but its sure not the best.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Rift better than SWOTOR not hardly, the way the quests are set up are absolutely the most laziest thing that I have ever seen in an mmorpg. They are practically right next door to each other.

2. Invasions? City of Heroes does this ten times better, its not my faul that YOU haven't played it, everything that Rift does COH does better, and it has a much better story.

3. The main problem with TOR is that if you don't know Star Wars or KOTOR you are going to miss alot of the depth in the game (like the lore entries and alot of the comments made around the world, even by the non quest giving npcs)., Does the game need more aesthetics-absolutely but its immersion leaves Rift in the dust. The only thing RIft does better is the opening starting area (esp in the Defiant area, very very cool with the giant golems). Once you get out in to the world, boooring, and my god that world is tiny. My god....

4.  Everything in Rift is copied off of WoW just about, and it shows, Is TOR very WoW ish, yes, but not more than RIft, and anybody who says that needs to tell me how so, please show and prove with examples.

5. TOR is the first group encouraged mmo in quite some time. There is nothing like the heroic areas in any mmo, outside areas where you NEED a group, and this is not talking about the flashpoints, operations, etc. Not to mention the ability to take your friends from planet to planet on your ship-Hell you cant do this in EVE. The ability to get social points by doing conversations together and get items linked to the social points is a nice step to go in the direction of a true rpg and definitely helps the cause of rpers like myself.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

No matter how good or bad SWTOR is, I simply don't think its been out long enough to win Game of the Year in any category.  And since MMORPGs are essentially continual affairs, with new content added every year, why does the Game of the Year in the MMORPG category need to be released in that year?   It seems to me that WoW and Rift both have had more hours played this calendar year, and possibly several others as well.  Was WoW eliminated from competition simply because the core game was released in 1994?  There was a WoW upgrade this year, wasn't there?

This award is simply based off hype and advertising.   If this trend continues (and it probably will), I can already name their winner for 2012 -- Guild Wars II.  In 2013, it will probably be EQ Next (even if the game doesn't make it to market my then).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.