Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Banned for not going linear?

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    LOL yeah, I don't believe this. Then again, I remember in EQ you could get banned for shooting orcs from across a river so stranger things have happened :).

I think BW should just release a statement saying that it's BS to quash these rumors.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NaucanoNaucano Member UncommonPosts: 80

My, oh, my the things we can read here. I sincerely hope some of you will never have to judge for real in RL. Some of you are so quick to judge it is almost criminal.

Now let us have some things straight.

A) This issue is between the player here and Bioware. As long as we only can hear one of the voices there is no way of knowing in absolute terms what is going on. Speculation is neither in the interest of the player, nor would it help his case.

B) Bioware is in no way obligated to answer the community anything that should be considered a private matter between them and said player. And neither should they be compelled to answer anything in general public by means of website, forums, or anything of the same nature.

C) The allegation of teh player is a serious matter. It is rare that those thing are brought to court, but it even could have legal ramifications. And no that is not an exaggeration, subscriptions are contracts, subject to laws in any country, any state.  

Now, I would suggest to Bioware, if they didn’t already did, that since the matter arrised, to have a clear and public statement nonetheless and at their discretion about their policy regarding this issue, regardless if this is already in their terms of use, regardless if this should be common knowledge.

mmorpg.com is in no way the ideal place to do this.

Rated M for Mature - May contain content inappropriate for children

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

So I made some effort search EVE forums as I said before.

Here is one example:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1353204#1353204

Provided chat log, screenshots, all looks so real. Poor guy got banned for a little non-offending one liner in chat!

Evil and corrupted CCP!

Well, follow the thread...and find out: context of events was left out - there was massive chat spamming taking place and players were repeatedly asked to stop, then CCP swung the ban hammer mercilessly. Also, there was more but the chat log was apparently cut-off to show that one line particular line only to make it seem that it was all the poster is guilty of.

Just twisted evidence to suit the case of the poster to slander company and make a fine troll/flame/bait thread.

Another example:
    http://www.morpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4008540#4008540

Very polite, honest post. However when inquired about circumstances and asked to shed more light, the answer is (not so) surprisingly: "No." Does it sounds familiar? Posters on SWTOR boards and reddit were also not willing to provide more information about events leading to account banning.

I believe, at least as I recall the thread, that most of the discussion was removed unfortunately thus it does not demonstrate the point that well like the example above.

And this example is funny one:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/260704/page/1

I am absolutely innocent, true story!

As the story unfolds, it get revealed that the poster already got a permaban sanction for previous EULA violation in the past :)

Sadly, I could not find the post I had on mind when writing my previous post, that one was particularly entertaining - also started with posting an email from CCP.

I am not saying all ban posts have hidden agenda, but I would say it is not uncommon. As you can see, there are differences and you can consider yourself the difference in write up:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/14/view/forums/post/4264059#4264059

EVE Online boards are the only boards I monitor but I bet people could post similar examples from other games.

Back to topic:

Unless there is more information, there is no need to take this ban post seriously.

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

if you read the whole thread on the swtor forum pages you know he has been exploiting on Ilum,

he has been banned for a reason, nice job Bioware/EA !!!

We are all satoshi!
  • JabronyJabrony Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Naucano

My, oh, my the things we can read here. I sincerely hope some of you will never have to judge for real in RL. Some of you are so quick to judge it is almost criminal.

A) This issue is between the player called Jabrony here and Bioware. As long as we only can hear one of the voices there is no way of knowing in absolute terms what is going on. Speculation is neither in the interest of Jabonry, nor would it help his case.

B) Bioware is in no way obligated to answer the community anything that should be considered a private matter between them and said player. And neither should they be compelled to answer anything in general public by means of website, forums, or anything of the same nature.

C) The allegation of Jabonry is a serious matter. It is rare that those thing are brought to court, but it even could have legal ramifications. And no that is not an exaggeration, subscriptions are contracts, subject to laws in any country, any state.  

Now, I would suggest to Bioware, if they didn’t already did, that since the matter arrised, to have a clear and public statement nonetheless and at their discretion about their policy regarding this issue, regardless if this is already in their terms of use, regardless if this should be common knowledge.

Nothing to do with me, Jabrony.  Just bringing this to your attention.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by drbaltazar

is EA serious!you see all those player ignoring each other in there (oposite faction)this isnt a violation ,its a freaking intended pvp warzone for crying out loud and they ban a low level player because they didnt limit acces to low level in those area .

ea learn to program gees,correct your dam flaw and stop banning people that payed 100$ to play your game,he didnt go under the map he didnt hack it was avail for everybody!

i think ill go back to wow,this is ridiculous.ea game maker screw on a scall o 9 richter and player get banned for bioware lack of judgement !gees this is so sad!so it isnt ea and biowares fault that ilium is avail free loot it is players fault!ya right ,i bet lawyer would wonder at this as lot!you dont want player to access level 50 at level 10 you dont get to write this in term of service you want pvp in ilium make it happen,you dont want level 10 in there put barrier so level 10 cant access it gees!stop smoking and start working gees!(ea and bioware)

somewhere after the first line my brain started to fry...

Ok after breaking out my secret decoder ring, consulting a drunk penguin, and asking a homeless man to help, I think I figured it out...you're trolling aren't ya?  Come on, you can admit it, it's okay.  We're all friends here, there's no shame, you don't like EA/Bioware, they are stealing your guildmates from WoW.  I know, it's rough, but it'll be okay.  Soon you'll have pandas, and a new continent, and pokemon battles, and five new levels, and all that good stuff!

/sarcasm off

I posted it earlier, and again that was the only thing I saw in the TOS that would cause Bioware to tap someone with the banhammer....and you would have to really be stretching your thinking on that to make it work.  Personally, I call bullshit on the ban.  But I do have to wonder why.  Why would someone go through the trouble to come up with such an elaborate, and obviously false scheme to say they were banned? 

I have seen people do some pretty crappy things to their fellow man in my years, but holy hell, the rampant trolling and flaming this GAME gets is freaking amazing.  If it's not your cup of tea, why bother putting so much effort to discredit/flame a GAME, it's players, the developers, and their parent company?  I really don't get it.  Is it fear?  Are they afraid that if this game does well, then their game of choice wiil not?  Seriously, I don't understand.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am with the crowd crying BS on this one.

I get that moderation is at the mercy of human idiocy *everywhere* but I don't buy it.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

As one of the many (Thousands?) of 'explorers' out there, I really have to question this one :D!

• NaucanoNaucano Member UncommonPosts: 80

Rectified,  Jabonry, my mistake. Had to read it more carefully.

Rated M for Mature - May contain content inappropriate for children

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by returnintor

Originally posted by dubyahite

In my experience, people that get banned usually go cry about it on the forums.

They always claim "all I did was: " followed by something really innocent sounding or say the ban was for something else they did, when in fact it was for another actual violation that they are hiding.

This guy could have been banned for cussing someone out in chat, then assumed it was for this other innocent reason.

People that get banned and cry about it rarely tell the truth.

"all I did was open a chest! " could actually be "I exploited through walls in a level 50 flashpoint to avoid mobs and open the same chest over and over.

I always take a banned players claims with a grain of salt.

Then again, there have been unfair bans before, especially when EA and Origin ate involved.

LOL.

You always support the game companies against the players? I wonder what goes on on your head, I really do.

I once found myself reading a forum for botters, yes they do exist, around the time Aion was released and many of the posters were angry or bemused that NcSoft was banning them for.... you guessed using a bot program in Aion. But of course it was NcSoft that was at fault here not that they were using illlegal third party software to cheat, it was hilarious but also the amount of posters that were bemused that it was illegal in the first place was what got me, there are as many clueless cheaters as nefarious ones out there and its never their fault never ever. So what Dubya and a few others are saying is bang on the money for me, and over my time of reading this forum I've seen quite a few threads from people being banned and again its always not their fault until people question them about it and they always get defensive and angry. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

If anyone actually believes this I think they may be drinking to much of the Kool-aid lol.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Now that I think of it, this guy probably did get banned for exactly what he said.

He's also probably a gold farmer and was botting the containers/nodes.

I would laugh so hard if the community got all up in arms over this and then found out he was a botting credit farmer. That would be some epic trolling.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Firstly, let me say that I am the last person to defend this POS game. 

1) This story seems made up, or missing details. Perhaps the way he obtained the said gear was an exploit? 

2) Still, even if it is real, it doesn't surprise me given how greedy EA is. Who remembers that debacle where someone got their EA/BW account banned from the forums and couldn't access their singeplayer games anymore!

As to your discussion, if such a scenario were to ever happen, then yes, the MMO community has the right to and should be angry. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Warjin

LYES

{mod edit}

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by dubyahite

Now that I think of it, this guy probably did get banned for exactly what he said.

He's also probably a gold farmer and was botting the containers/nodes.

I would laugh so hard if the community got all up in arms over this and then found out he was a botting credit farmer. That would be some epic trolling.

1. The email makes absolutely no mention of any exploit being used. Why would you assume there is when even Customer Support don't say there is?

2. The only reason given for the ban was opening the high level chests as a low level. This is not against the TOS nor does it require abusing a game flaw in order to do so. By all evidence, there was no exploiting involved.

3. Nowhere does the game express that it is against the rules to enter Ilium or  it's loot containers as a low level character. There is a recommended level warning but absolutely no rule against it. If there was a level restriction that the player had gotten around in order to enter Ilium then yes, this would eb an explit, but there isn't anny such restriction.

4. This is EA Customer Support being awful at their jobs as usual.

Email SS: http://i.imgur.com/tXd8N.jpg

P.S. This could still be all BS, but knowing EA Customer Support I would not be surprised at all.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , actually this is pretty sweet , about time a Dev lives up to their EULA.  And that should greatly help in the war vs RMT / botters / leechers.    I've been bashing TOR abit but I might actually get myself a copy , would be impressive to play a MMO where you actually need to play by the rules and no one can hold your hand to help your pathetic self.  +1 from me for this.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by fundayz

P.S. This could still be all BS, but knowing EA Customer Support I would not be surprised at all.

Crowd:

Burn her! Burn! Burn her! Burn her!

BEDEVERE:

How do you know she is a witch?

Villager #2:

She looks like one.

Game forum public trials have such high standards of evidence.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

I've read about the chest that you are talking about.  It's supposed to be an easy pick of free high level gear every time it spawns since there aren't any mobs around it. 

As far as the email goes, I don't believe it is real.  It's not written professionally and does not reference the "loot container" by name specifically.  "As you have violated our Terms of Service we will be applying a ban on your account."  Perhaps it could be because this person doesn't know the name of the chests in game, "participated in looting high level Loot Containers ." If this letter was sent from my company I would be embarased to face that client the next time I spoke with them. 

I'm curious to see what comes from this, though I'm pretty sure nothing will.  I'll be keeping an eye out for that chest in the patch notes though.  They have already fixed slicing, fixed the PvP merchant exploit, and this chest may be next since it's such an easy fix.  They should just add a mob spawn next to it and be done with it.   

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Hey anyone mind testing this out?

And why FUCCK is Ilum not locked for people who are not in it's level zone?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't buy it. If the ban is real, then they did something else besides go to a high level planet and loot a box.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by BizkitNL

I'm not buying it. If it was against the ToS to travel to higher level planets while being well below the level requirements, they would have put a lock on it, not ban people for it.

I think someone got banned for something legit, then made up a story to get a flame going (As is usually the case).

Nice try though (Sort of).

I'm not convinced either. 

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Gdemami

If you want a real Inspector Gadget from MMOs, do a Google search of "page 8", "EQ", and "Dick fucking tracy".

I forget which server it was, but someone scammed a dude out of some gear. Classic server drama without needing to understand much about the game.

This story(which was real), the Burnt Woods fiction, and the adventures of Fancy the Bard is some of the best from the Golden Age of EQ.

I would say the chances of the OP being true is 100% that the person getting banned, and 0% that the person getting banned for something innocent.

EDIT Here is a link http://www.brellrants.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2734 

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Naucano

A) This issue is between the player here and Bioware. As long as we only can hear one of the voices there is no way of knowing in absolute terms what is going on. Speculation is neither in the interest of the player, nor would it help his case.

C) The allegation of teh player is a serious matter. It is rare that those thing are brought to court, but it even could have legal ramifications. And no that is not an exaggeration, subscriptions are contracts, subject to laws in any country, any state.  

i agree bioware isnt obligated to player,but this goes both ways lol.there are plenty of game out there.ask gpotato when they messed up about aika they lost all player .player got pissed and left simple!sadly the time table a game has to react is very slim now a days!i agree with you tho so far this is a one case so bioware gets the benefit of the doubt i am sure.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by RizelStar

Hey anyone mind testing this out?

And why FUCCK is Ilum not locked for people who are not in it's level zone?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

same reason as to why pvp isnt forced on player in illum!you answer is as good as anyone,my guess is they expected it to be obvious how it should be ,they wrote the level req for that area in the star chart and expected everyone to abide by this!hahahaha now they know!if you leave a door open player will enter!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Based on the information I have been given on these forums, and on the Posts about SWTOR, I will say that I am glad I did not purchase swtor and waste $60. No offense to StarWars fans, I like StarTrek, and StarWars they are both great movies, and games, but I really do not think Bioware as from beta experience developed this game worth buying, maybe the game will or will not live for long, or maybe it will go Free 2 Play I dont know, but I am glad I did not buy it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=109515

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/nx3i4/swtor_bans_from_going_to_ilum/

It is stupuid to have level restricted zones to begin with and SWTOR lacks open PVP, and PVE events there really shouldn't be any limit on what a player can do they should be able to play and enjoy a game the way they want to play it not forced to do it a certain way. SWTOR honestly is just another copy of many MMORPG's already Free 2 Play on the market including wow based on an opinion of course and beta.

An exploit, is for example when a Player knowingly Duplicates Items over and over again, or gold, or uses a client hack to do such for example, or any bugs such as shooting through walls glitches using abilities through a wall, or such when they should not be able to and abuse of that type of stuff is exploiting, however going to another planet I do not find to be exploiting, it is the developers fault that they did not lock the planet and tell players or allowed players access to it to begin with under level 50, so they should have simply made a patch for it, and when players left the planet they could not go back.

Nexon also did something Similar recently over a exploit because players were looting items that were not supposed to be able to sell and selling them to the vendor or something and they banned players without warning, although their game currently isnt worth playing anyways.

And lets not forget the GM Corruption in Mortal Online with their so called exploits with players being able to knock down a wall with a hammer, this was no exploit, but in general it was programmed to do such by the developers and GM's gave the other clan the upper hand and such because of this.

Second Life as well is just as bad for the players called Norians which operate a small cluster of 12 Regions, or Simulators and call themselves a MMORPG, their lead manager Bizarre does nothing but break the Rules, the EULA, and TOS of the actual game, and so does some of its players there not to mention violation of the actual games TOS, and Intellectual Property rights, and harassment they bring to other players, another example of a once good MMORPG totally gone down the drain because of GM Corruption.

I really hate to say this but the last years of the MMO Industry and game companies have just been a bunch of idiots trying to nickle dime and make money any way they can not actually develop a MMORPG that players like. Sure sometimes you start a new MMO and think its going to be great, then they make it go down the drain by doing stupid things like what NC Soft did with Aion, and what they are doing with SWTOR it could have been a great MMO, but I am not paying for the game until I see for myself that the game has improved a lot.

Another very good successful MMO, or what could have been was Fury online it is sad that the game had to go, but it needed a lot of changes although it was a fun MMO the actual skills and stuff had actual competition with guildwars although the characters, and armors really sucked other than that the actual play was good sad to see that that game had to go, not to mention APB, and HellGate, these games could have made Millions had the developers have known what they were doing they were great concepts and could have even had good competition with World OF Warcraft, but again bad management.

My Beta Character, Yup SWTOR was decent with actual characters, but the actual customization was not that great either.