Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what modern MMO is better than Darkfall?

Comments

• FullLootPvpFullLootPvp Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

WoT

well.. be happy that you can still enjoy the game, i can't, for me it was also the best mmo out there, but AV ruined the whole genre for me... i'm done with it... got now more spare time, do some single player stuff and so on.. but i can't support AV any longer... i really wonder how people still can after all...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

In the last 5 years? None of them.

That is though ofc highly subjective, moreoever even as a fan of the game (or at least it's ideal) a great deal of that is due to the fact that pretty much every other mmo in the past 5 years has been total shite. DF may also be shite but it is inexcusable for the others when they are shite without trying to innovate or be in the slightest bit ambitious.

PS: Did someone really say MO? If DF is a car crash MO is the wreck of the Titanic.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

you're too far gone on this game and how it's "just like skyrim MMO!"

I am sorry that you haven't played Darkfall enough to know this but Skyrim's combat totally sucks compared to Darkfall's. I am totally in love with all of the Elder Scroll games and they are actually my favorite when it comes to single-player RPGs and enjoy them much more than most people seem to. Since Skyrim has come out though I have found myself logging into Darkfall more often because its really made me appreciate it more. My Skyrim character is pretty noob and I have only spent about 60 hours playing it so far (thats not a lot in that game because its so cool) but I find myself logging into Darkfall instead. Why is that? Well you would have to play Darkfall long enough to have your controls fully customized to understand that but basically it comes down to the combat being much funner . ... even the PVE combat is better in Darkfall because in Skyrim you cannot customize your controls as much and are forced to only use 8 buttons for your favorite spells/skills and often pause the game during combat to do things like drink a dozen potions. The quests and how you permanently change things in Skyrim are better than Darkfall but thats about it besides being able to remove the clothing of dead women and position them in naughty positions before raising their corpses to serve you (I love that game lol).

I am sorry you haven't played Skyrim enough to realize that there is no way on earth Darkfall is more flexible and provides more options than Skyrim.

Just for starters, Bethesda is about to release the same tools that they used to create the content for the game, for free, for whoever who fancies using them.

There are thousands of mods and add-ons available already, even before the creation kit has been released. You can already change your interface, add aditional hotkeys, change textures, time scale, difficulty, respawn rate, skills, locations and just about anything you fancy.

There is no MMO out there, not a single one, that allows more customization than SKyrim (maybe Second Life), and that, of course, includes Darkfall.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by ryman

It's nothing to be proud of to be in development for 11 years only to be met with a terrible failure. I think it would've been best if they would've dropped this game entirely, instead of releasing such as mess and ruining their reputations for future games.

Til' this day, I still laugh at the post of one of those devs making about using XML files to configure their entire game. Those poor wannabe developers... =*(

taking 11 years to develop or being poor wannabe developers doesnt change the reality that people on the forums where flat out wrong. It doesnt have to do with pride of AV it appears however a lot to do with the inablity to admit that the forum posters were just simply wrong and changing the subject will not change that.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Ummm... All of them.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by AZHokie54

Ummm... All of them.

my thoughts exactly....

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by gordiflu

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

you're too far gone on this game and how it's "just like skyrim MMO!"

I am sorry that you haven't played Darkfall enough to know this but Skyrim's combat totally sucks compared to Darkfall's. I am totally in love with all of the Elder Scroll games and they are actually my favorite when it comes to single-player RPGs and enjoy them much more than most people seem to. Since Skyrim has come out though I have found myself logging into Darkfall more often because its really made me appreciate it more. My Skyrim character is pretty noob and I have only spent about 60 hours playing it so far (thats not a lot in that game because its so cool) but I find myself logging into Darkfall instead. Why is that? Well you would have to play Darkfall long enough to have your controls fully customized to understand that but basically it comes down to the combat being much funner . ... even the PVE combat is better in Darkfall because in Skyrim you cannot customize your controls as much and are forced to only use 8 buttons for your favorite spells/skills and often pause the game during combat to do things like drink a dozen potions. The quests and how you permanently change things in Skyrim are better than Darkfall but thats about it besides being able to remove the clothing of dead women and position them in naughty positions before raising their corpses to serve you (I love that game lol).

I am sorry you haven't played Skyrim enough to realize that there is no way on earth Darkfall is more flexible and provides more options than Skyrim.

Just for starters, Bethesda is about to release the same tools that they used to create the content for the game, for free, for whoever who fancies using them.

There are thousands of mods and add-ons available already, even before the creation kit has been released. You can already change your interface, add aditional hotkeys, change textures, time scale, difficulty, respawn rate, skills, locations and just about anything you fancy.

There is no MMO out there, not a single one, that allows more customization than SKyrim (maybe Second Life), and that, of course, includes Darkfall.

Hrmmm . ... that would be badass if there was an add-on making it so that I can use any button on my keyboard as a favorite. I would probably put on my headphones, reroll, and get totally into it!! That would be so sweet!! I love that game but its not as fun as Darkfall when I can only have 8 favorites and can only use buttons 1-8 to use those favorites. I can use autohotkey to write scripts for having a button press another button 1-8 but that still doesn't solve the problem of having a maximum of 8 as well as having to lose 8 buttons from using 2 each from such a setup. You see, I am all about configuring controls in every game until I have a setup which I feel is the fastest and most efficient possible and Skyrim is one of the worst for allowing me to do this. Another thing about Skyrim that sucks is that there is no risk vs reward feeling ever since I can just go back to a previously saved game and everything that I do is autosaved so there is really no chance of getting an adrenaline rush like I can get from Darkfall. Although its a sandbox game and I have a huge amount of quests to choose from and different paths to pick, things do not really happen to me that are so amazing and original that I can tell it to one of my friends without them saying oh yeah I already did that quest. The most unique experiences in the game seem to be what the Giants do! LOL

In Darkfall everything I do turns out to be a story that nobody else will ever have. The game changes over time and everything is always changing politically. You don't have to share anything in the world of Skyrim with other players so you are going to have a single-player experience that is pretty much the same as everyone else's besides how you setup you character and following different faction quest-chains but already my gamer friends have gone through every possible chain of quests and character development.

The PVE in Skyrim is a lot funner than most other Elder Scroll games but remains to be hard to balance when it comes to keeping it challenging. It seems to be either too easy and when it does get harder its just annoying because I end up reloading the same fight over and over again or pausing to drink a potion or poison something or refill a used magical item with soul gems many times during the fight. Darkfall seems to be much easier for keeping me at the edge of my seat with the right amount of PVE/PVP challenge and if I do die than I do not repeat the same fight other than going back to loot my corpse before moving on to something else.

Overall, I have a lot more fun in Darkfall. Please let me know if there are any add-ons for Skyrim though for setting up favorites on any key!!! That would be tight!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by k11keeper

Originally posted by AZHokie54

Ummm... All of them.

my thoughts exactly....

same here

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Maybe you'd be better of asking which are worse

• FearmeirlFearmeirl Member UncommonPosts: 231

Darkfall itself is probably a top 3 MMO, however, the sheer amount of bugs, previous exploits, current exploits, and a limited and failure dev team has seriously ruined its image and ability for anyone to take it serious now. It was fun for 2 years, and now its pretty much over. I'm glad I played it for as long as I did, best game since UO for sure. Might try 2.0 if I hear good things, but moving on to GW2/archeage/tera or maybe some of the other titles coming up in 2012/2013.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Norpan

PVE vs AI:

PVE = graphics model, AI, loot

When one talks about PVE do people really think we are talking about its character model or loot?

really?

The PVE still sux. It´s your average go kill 5 goblins and get ganked while doing it. It´s beyond bad and boring as hell. Yeah, it´s my opinion, and one that I think I share with everyone except the fanbois. We all know what category you belong to.

you are basically saying that you find the PVE in lets say Everquest 2 more fun than the PVE in Darkfall.

I think that is the most insane thing I have ever heard of but as you say, its all just opinions :)

PvE would be much better if they add more things to do, as I said earlier, better and more complex crafting(maybe with some mini-games) and better and more accessible housing@ city building and so on...

Originally posted by kostoslav

PVE vs AI:

When one talks about PVE do people really think we are talking about its character model or loot?

really?

The PVE still sux. It´s your average go kill 5 goblins and get ganked while doing it. It´s beyond bad and boring as hell. Yeah, it´s my opinion, and one that I think I share with everyone except the fanbois. We all know what category you belong to.

you are basically saying that you find the PVE in lets say Everquest 2 more fun than the PVE in Darkfall.

I think that is the most insane thing I have ever heard of but as you say, its all just opinions :)

PvE would be much better if they add more things to do, as I said earlier, better and more complex crafting(maybe with some mini-games) and better and more accessible housing@ city building and so on...

better and more complex crafting like....EQ2?

I find it intresting how many gamers will hold up Darkfall to a higher benchmark for being good then they will any other MMO on the market.

Could it simply be they cant aim and got their a$$ handed to them and nothing more?

PVE vs AI:

really?

better and more complex crafting like....EQ2?

I find it intresting how many gamers will hold up Darkfall to a higher benchmark for being good then they will any other MMO on the market.

Could it simply be they cant aim and got their a$$ handed to them and nothing more?

I dont mind to be killed and looted. That was part of the excitement DF had to offer. Thats why I did play it for months. But harvesting same bush nod for different kinds of plant for 10 houres is not fun. It would be much more fun if I had to go in different regions for different kinds of herbs( like in Morrowind,Skyrim for example)

The PvP part of DF is excellent, and Ai of mobs is great, but I need better and more complex crafting ( something like FFXIV, SWG) to meet my PvE needs ( coz we dont have quests, scenarios, skirmishes,...)

I dont mind to be killed and looted. That was part of the excitement DF had to offer. Thats why I did play it for months. But harvesting same bush nod for different kinds of plant for 10 houres is not fun. It would be much more fun if I had to go in different regions for different kinds of herbs( like in Morrowind,Skyrim for example)

The PvP part of DF is excellent, and Ai of mobs is great, but I need better and more complex crafting ( something like FFXIV, SWG) to meet my PvE needs ( coz we dont have quests, scenarios, skirmishes,...)

1. harvesting and crafting are two different things.

2. I feel that the implication here based on me orginally talking about EQ2  is that crafting (not harvesting) has more depth in EQ2 than in Darkfall? really that isnt even close to be true and that doesnt even account for enchanting. Darkfall crafting (not harvesting) is in fact more deep than EQ2 crafting which by default makes it much deeper than WoW as well.

I find it intresting how gamers will say 'any game is better than darkfall' but then when talking about the details they quickly pull out the SWG card because they know games like EQ2 and WoW will end up making a bullsh*t arugement

2. I feel that the implication here based on me orginally talking about EQ2  is that crafting (not harvesting) has more depth in EQ2 than in Darkfall? really that isnt even close to be true and that doesnt even account for enchanting. Darkfall crafting (not harvesting) is in fact more deep than EQ2 crafting which by default makes it much deeper than WoW as well.

I find it intresting how gamers will say 'any game is better than darkfall' but then when talking about the details they quickly pull out the SWG card because they know games like EQ2 and WoW will end up making a bullsh*t arugement

WoW has much more weapons, potions, armours then DF for example

edit: U dont like swg card, ok lets take MO, even that crap have better crafting

WoW has much more weapons, potions, armours then DF for example

ok so now randomly we are no longer talking about crafting we are talking about something else. Not completely sure what.

is it at all possible for us to focus on the MMORPG Forums and not use things unrelated to make a argument on a different subject completely?

maybe its true about games and ADD.

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

My main problem with Darkfall was the lack of skill caps. This design decision by Aventurine presents two big problems, which I'm sure many are already aware of, but I'll list them for those that don't:

• It forces every player to grind every viable skill tree in order to remain competetive.

A limit on skills creates the situation where you can actually finish a template for your character, then move on to the fun - playing the game.  With no limit, you're always working on raising skills, and it grants the no-lifers and the botters a huge advantage over those that can't devote full-time hours to the game.

• It creates a situation where there is really only one viable template - everything.

Personally, I really enjoy experimenting with different builds - it's my favorite part of developing a new character in an MMO.  Allowing a huge number of possible combinations is supposed to be the main strength of a skills-based system, but this is not the case with Darkfall, because if you choose only a few skill trees for your character then you put yourself at a huge disadvantage vs everyone you encounter.

Another issue I have with it is just how LAZY it is, from a game design standpoint. Now this had no effect on my enjoyment of the game, but it certainly eroded any respect I had for Aventurine as a company. How is it lazy? Because they don't have to balance any skills, ever. If everyone has to learn every skill, there is never a situation where one template is more powerful than another.

The moment they made that announcement I knew that was why they did it. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Originally posted by Arawnite

My main problem with Darkfall was the lack of skill caps.  

I am honestly asking this question because I am not sure I understand exactly what the phase 'skill cap' means.

Becuase in darkfall you cant get a skill number higher than 100 so in my mind there is a skill cap.

explain

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

darkfalls problem is it plays like a glorified team deathmatch. Which is fine its fast paced and the combat looks fun. However they then force you to hardcore grind for a few mnoths in order to be on a similar level of artificial skill level in order to just be viable. Imagine playing something like CS but being forced to login and grind in order to actually be able to have a fair fight for 2 whole months whilst being charged at the same time. with everyone else running faster hitting harder taking more hits than you and esentially pwning you 3 vs 1 based off their weapons and stats. Darkfall lacks the sandbox features it has even less than MO which is saying something. It palys like a team based dm but forces players to grind like their in a korean mmo with a subscription fee just to compete.

I understand the need for grind in themepark mmos because that is exactly how they work. But a sandbox should not rely on grind or macroing to prolong their life at all.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

I am honestly asking this question because I am not sure I understand exactly what the phase 'skill cap' means.

Becuase in darkfall you cant get a skill number higher than 100 so in my mind there is a skill cap.

explain

UO had a skill cap of 700 with each skill capping at 100 (I'm talking release). Therefore you could max no more than 7 skills. In Darkfall you can max every skill making every character a Warmagearcher.

Originally posted by Kelthius

explain

UO had a skill cap of 700 with each skill capping at 100 (I'm talking release). Therefore you could max no more than 7 skills. In Darkfall you can max every skill making every character a Warmagearcher.

AH! then actually Darkfall does have a skill cap its just different. I dont think its a good idea to refer to darkfalls different than UO skill cap as a non-skill cap.

What do I mean? Well, if you take all the skills in Darkfall and mulitlpy by 100 guess what you have? a skill cap number.

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by Kelthius

explain

AH! then actually Darkfall does have a skill cap its just different. I dont think its a good idea to refer to darkfalls different than UO skill cap as a non-skill cap.

What do I mean? Well, if you take all the skills in Darkfall and mulitlpy by 100 guess what you have? a skill cap number.

How much diversity does that create? None. How much time does every player have to devote to character development to be competetive? All of it. How much balancing is required by the developer when every template is identical? None. How clueless was it to get all hung up on the exact definition of "skill cap" vs the actual message that was being delivered? Very.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

explain

Hi Sean how are you today?   Here buddy let me explain how this whole confusing little skill cap thing works.  A skill cap means you cant max out all your abilities and have access to all of them at the same time or that you have a limited number of skill points to distribute.  In Darkfall you can both max out every skill and have access to them all at once, therefore there is no skill cap.  I think you are referring to level cap when you max out your characters level like in a themepark MMO or when you max out an individual skill.

I hope that clears it up for you little buddy.

How much diversity does that create? None. How much time does every player have to devote to character development to be competetive? All of it. How much balancing is required by the developer when every template is identical? None. How clueless was it to get all hung up on the exact definition of "skill cap" vs the actual message that was being delivered? Very.

I have found it extreemly common for people on the MMORPG Forums to regularly use a completely unrelated point to make an arguement on a subject.

One moment we might be saying that Darkfall Darkfall crafting is not deep and then when I say 'its deeper than EQ2!' the reponse might be something like 'well yeah but AV lies'. This happens all the time.

The conversation of what is or is not a skill cap has nothing to do with if its a good idea or not.

Originally posted by snapfusion

explain

Hi Sean how are you today?   Here buddy let me explain how this whole confusing little skill cap thing works.  A skill cap means you cant max out all your abilities and have access to all of them at the same time or that you have a limited number of skill points to distribute.  In Darkfall you can both max out every skill and have access to them all at once, therefore there is no skill cap.  I think you are referring to level cap when you max out your characters level like in a themepark MMO or when you max out an individual skill.

I hope that clears it up for you little buddy.

community or industry might have well called it 'barney rubble' becuase it makes just about as much sense. To anyone outside of the 'know' would clearly think Darkfall does have a 'skill......cap....'

never the less I am glad you are able to stay on point which is very rare here, people go all over the map when making rebuttals.