Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's my problem....

youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

I played beta to about lvl 15ish and couldnt get past the generic vibe the game gave me,flashes of warhammer and even wow everywhere...

So after not choosing to go ahead and buy SWTOR after playing the early access and not liking Aion very much i decided to give Rift another shot, now after 2 days of the trial im still getting that generic vibe, as i know nothing about the lore of the game and imo it doesnt do a very good job of pulling you into it the pve is pretty underwhelming.

With all that said my main interest in any mmo is the PvP and endgame, So...if i were to buy Rift with everything i just posted....would it be a bad move? or is the 1-50 grind kill X of X and deliver X to X a strong point in Rift that i completely fail to grasp? or does it maybe get better as you progress?

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I can't comment on the endgame, but I got the exactly same vibe as you had. I played one character to level 20 and got bored.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

I enjoy Rift, IMO the game gets better as you go, but, gameplay/macanics wise Rift is very similar to WoW, but thats all, everything else is unique with some very interesting quest lines, dungeons and raids.

Godz of War I call Thee

• PlutonasPlutonas Member Posts: 32

It's matter of taste i guess, i started play Rift from the early beta and still enjoying this game. It's very polished very dynamic and has plenty of content to bother. Trion supports the game amazingly and the graphics are beautiful. I still play WoW but Rift to me is something else as an experience.

As i mentioned before its what do you like most  and what you enjoy  playing each game.  To me Rift will have a brilliant future and ofcourse i never want this game to turn as a free to play.... Future will tell us...

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Here go do this for me. Go play Star Wars from 1-50 and spend a month there. Then pick-up Rift they made the box cheap as crap and they offer deals on subs all the time.

Just go play TOR first then come to Rift. Trust me it will help your decision making process or save both games time which were designed around pve and just wait till GW2 and play that as your primary pvp game like everyone else plans too.

Rift offers about as much pvp as Vanilla WoW..so world pvp, battleground, no arena, pvp rifts(just youtube this), choose which battleground you want because the game uses x-server warfronts

TOR offers as much as Cataclysm, so world pvp dead and mostly battlegrounds; no arena, you are assigned a battleground and the warfronts are single server

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Puremallace

Here go do this for me. Go play Star Wars from 1-50 and spend a month there. Then pick-up Rift they made the box cheap as crap and they offer deals on subs all the time.

Just go play TOR first then come to Rift. Trust me it will help your decision making process or save both games which were designed around pve and just wait till GW2 and play that as your primary pvp game like everyone else plans too.

Ill make the decision now for him dont bother.. rift for me was good for 2 months then its was the same old gear grind and its the same with TOR find something different to get lanched into I've been downloading f2p titles with different battle systems, I've picked atlantica online again loving the turn based battle like the good old FF days :)

Originally posted by Dekarx12

Ill make the decision now for him dont bother.. rift for me was good for 2 months then its was the same old gear grind and its the same with TOR find something different to get lanched into I've been downloading f2p titles with different battle systems, I've picked atlantica online again loving the turn based battle like the good old FF days :)

Like I said no TOR or Rift fan can sit here and claim the game is pvp based like you would have seen in Aion WHERE IS USED to back in my day revolve all around pvp and fort captures.

Rift does offer a bit more, but if you want a pure pvp game focused on it hold out till GW2, if you want a mix then my preference is Rift.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Sigh....GW2 doesnt even have a date yet lol and when they do put one up it will be months from the release, i played TOR 1-30ish and i got the picture but i was under the impression Rift offered a bit more pvp wise....

Guess il have to dig deeper, not crossing out rift yet but the responses on top of the server pop ive been seeing isnt helping.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I played Rift from beta until around 6 months after release.

Overall its a great game and I enjoyed my time there. PvE wise it has alot to do even tho its the same raid for gear, to raid for more gear, to raid for more gear... ect.

PvP wise it has the BGs, which are pretty fun. Open world PvP is more of a gank fest nowdays. Unless you are rank 8 ( or whatever it is now ) you are everybodys bitch in pvp. World and BG wise.

As a newly leveled 50 trying to grind the ranks of PvP will be a long process, with many many deaths, over and over again. 2 faction system means on most servers a poulation imbalance for world PvP will mean being zerged, or being part of the zerg. Once you reach rank 8 in PvP you are a god among men for anyone less rank than you. Ranks1-4 ( as a rank 8) you can probably damn near 1 shot while dancing and eating a cheeseburger.

While rift is a great game IMO if your looking for PvP go elsewhere. Unless what I listed above appeals to you. If you put in the time grinding PvP ranks the payoff maybe worth it to you. For me personally it was not.

Just my opinion.

thx for input,doesnt seem like the right fit for me so im gonna move on but thx for the insight.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

I felt exactly the same way as the OP.  I just could not connect with Rift and I wanted to enjoy it.   More power to those that enjoy it but I found it to be a very generic cookie cutter game.  I have no idea how it has such a high rating, everyone must see something i don't.

Originally posted by Odysses

I felt exactly the same way as the OP.  I just could not connect with Rift and I wanted to enjoy it.   More power to those that enjoy it but I found it to be a very generic cookie cutter game.  I have no idea how it has such a high rating, everyone must see something i don't.

As I told the OP go out and play some of these other MMO's on the market. TOR for example or anything else you can find and you will see why Rift fans are die hards.

• AquaKiraAquaKira Member UncommonPosts: 39

I played Rift for 3-4months after release.

If you actually read the quests the lore is pretty interesting.

Like in Stonefield (second zone for Defiants) you learn about titans and stuff and even meet one :)

Dungeons are nice and even the warfronts(unbalanced classes though).

At lvl 50 you'll have some fun doing heroic dungeons for T1-T2 gear.

After you have that then... you can only grind for months in warfronts for shitload of prestige or do raid rifts.

Normal rifts get boring. Basicly, at lvl 50 it's all about doing the same warfronts over and over and trying to get in a hardcore guild for raids/raid rifts.

I advise you to join a full server because the smaller servers offer almost no warfronts or chance for raiding.

More or less fun game, but gets... pointless after a few months seeing as there isn't much to do anymore.

Perhaps... 1-2months after you hit 50 and then the fun goes away. Atleast that's how it went for me.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by youngkg

I played beta to about lvl 15ish and couldnt get past the generic vibe the game gave me,flashes of warhammer and even wow everywhere...

So after not choosing to go ahead and buy SWTOR after playing the early access and not liking Aion very much i decided to give Rift another shot, now after 2 days of the trial im still getting that generic vibe, as i know nothing about the lore of the game and imo it doesnt do a very good job of pulling you into it the pve is pretty underwhelming.

With all that said my main interest in any mmo is the PvP and endgame, So...if i were to buy Rift with everything i just posted....would it be a bad move? or is the 1-50 grind kill X of X and deliver X to X a strong point in Rift that i completely fail to grasp? or does it maybe get better as you progress?

MMOs were originally never about PvP or Endgame ; They were designed to be community games with a lot more than combat involved. With a lot more longevity involved to fit the large worlds.

MMOs are not required for the insta max level and Endgame crews we get playing these days batter to develop some decent Arenas for the PvP and forget the Worlds...

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Honestly I've played Rift since beta and I still play it and have fun.  I agree about the lore but as you go on, especially if you're a big quester, it becomes more immersive.  The end game pvp to me is the best out there as far as MMOs that still have a current popular population.  I think something better will come along and I would in a hearbeat give up any mmo to get people back into classic DAoC, Rift really is a good game with a great development team who is at least trying.  And not just trying to make money...

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by tom_gore

I can't comment on the endgame, but I got the exactly same vibe as you had. I played one character to level 20 and got bored.

Seconded, I played a...hunterthing till 27 or so, the low level dungeons were boring and combat felt strange. (Animation delay? Too long of a GCD? Dunno.) So I gave up.

Also, Rifts are just annoying, there are no real cities and forests suck after awhile. 

Honestly, they suck.

I swear, I live beside one, I know.

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by youngkg

MMOs were originally never about PvP or Endgame ; They were designed to be community games with a lot more than combat involved. With a lot more longevity involved to fit the large worlds.

MMOs are not required for the insta max level and Endgame crews we get playing these days batter to develop some decent Arenas for the PvP and forget the Worlds...

Oh No You Didnt!....lol diehard PvP gamers have to be the most deprived base in the mmo community...I dont know how you came to the assumption that mmo's were never orginally about PvP...as i recall meridian 59 was the first mmo ever and it featured PvP....The generation following that put more of an emphasis on it and it got an even better reception...then wow came and streamlined it.

The funny thing is i kinda agree with you aside from the whole PvP thing, Let the PvE crowd have there game...Dont try to meet in the middle to please both sides only to have the result turn out less than mediocre, Let the PvP'ers have there game without comprimising aspects of gameplay to please the PvE crowd...Back in the day both of those groups could have co exsisted in the same game, Asherons Call is the perfect example,but devs stop making sandboxes in favor of themeparks capable of generating WOW like sub numbers...and all have failed.

Originally posted by Razeron

Originally posted by tom_gore

Seconded, I played a...hunterthing till 27 or so, the low level dungeons were boring and combat felt strange. (Animation delay? Too long of a GCD? Dunno.) So I gave up.

Also, Rifts are just annoying, there are no real cities and forests suck after awhile. 

Honestly, they suck.

I swear, I live beside one, I know.

lol....

Yeah i wanted to like it but it just isnt my cup of tea....i thought i could grind to end game fast and overcome my problems with Rift but after level 18 it felt like i was pulling a garbage truck uphill...i dont blame Rift btw...i blame WOW and WARhammer....