Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release date estimation?

Comments

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

When it's ready. But I am thinking they would really like April 28.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by SonicTHI

All ArenaNet releases so far have been either on April 28th or in autumn. Dont see why that d change with GW2.

I bet they want to hit the anniversary of GW1 but an autumn release wouldnt be bad either for them after hyping up people even more at GC2012.

ArenaNet has released 4 games, first 2 were in april the next one was in October then the last in August and they are rereleasing them all on January 2nd. There is no correlation there to predict a release date.

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

My birthday, February 11th. It would be the greatest birthday gift ever. 

Serious estimation: probably around Feb or March..which is cool cause I'll have money from my B-day. Even if it doesn't come out by then, I still plan to save that money to get a copy :)

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Auguest-September 2012 is my guess. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Part of me want it to be out yesterday, another part of me wants them to wait and finish it the way they want it. My guess though is April
  • YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

Unlike other MMO's beta means the game is feature complete for ANet. Unless they find a terrible issue it will be released in the next 6 months. Prove me right ANet!

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

What how their beta has been progressing I expect OB to start during Feb sometime. It will last a couple weeks and launch will probably happen during march or early Apri.. I don't think CB will last too long, but long enough for some real testing to get done. OB will not last long at all. A few tests for stress testing and a final push at finding bugs then the game will be ready to launch.

At least I hope that is how it goes. It would really destory a lot of people if it didnt come out in Q1/Q2 of this year. A lot of games will be fighting for your attention in the upcoming months though, so picking a good launch window will be very important.

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

Originally posted by Kraiser

What how their beta has been progressing I expect OB to start during Feb sometime. It will last a couple weeks and launch will probably happen during march or early Apri.. I don't think CB will last too long, but long enough for some real testing to get done. OB will not last long at all. A few tests for stress testing and a final push at finding bugs then the game will be ready to launch.

At least I hope that is how it goes. It would really destory a lot of people if it didnt come out in Q1/Q2 of this year. A lot of games will be fighting for your attention in the upcoming months though, so picking a good launch window will be very important.

how your coming up with a Q1/Q2 release date is beyond me... They just very recently revealed the mesmer class, and I highly doubt they are finished with all the elements of the game right now. With the way this game's skill system works, whenever they finished a class, they probably had to test the skills with all the other classes, to make sure that the "combo skills" worked properly, and that the environment works properly with each individual skill. Hell, a few months ago they released a completely overhauled Sylvari, just because they didn't like the original Sylvari look (Which is fine for me, I prefer the nature look of them now as oposed to the Thunder Cat guild I was going to have to make based off of the original sylvari look).

I do see a CB starting in Q2 MAYBE, however I don't see the game releasing until Q3/Q4, most likely holiday of Q4 if they are REALLY taking their time with it to make it right. But hey, with the way this game looks, it will be well worth the wait.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Triadninja

how your coming up with a Q1/Q2 release date is beyond me... They just very recently revealed the mesmer class, and I highly doubt they are finished with all the elements of the game right now. With the way this game's skill system works, whenever they finished a class, they probably had to test the skills with all the other classes, to make sure that the "combo skills" worked properly, and that the environment works properly with each individual skill. Hell, a few months ago they released a completely overhauled Sylvari, just because they didn't like the original Sylvari look (Which is fine for me, I prefer the nature look of them now as oposed to the Thunder Cat guild I was going to have to make based off of the original sylvari look).

I do see a CB starting in Q2 MAYBE, however I don't see the game releasing until Q3/Q4, most likely holiday of Q4 if they are REALLY taking their time with it to make it right. But hey, with the way this game looks, it will be well worth the wait.

They've known it was the Mesmer the entire time, they just didn't reveal it to us until they were happy with it.  It's not like they just created it and now they need to make sure it's functional.  That they went into beta means that things are in a state they feel they are happy with.  They might still overhaul things, but it will be trying to improve something that already works, not trying to implement or fix something that doesn't work at all.

The sylvari are an example of this.  The original design was ok, but the designer wanted to do more and so she worked on a redesign of the race on her own at night.  They didn't even formally announce the sylvari until after the redesign, when they were really happy with it.  Other things, like the energy system worked well enough to show, but were eventually scrapped.

I don't know if you misspoke in your 2nd paragraph, but closed beta has already started.  It was announced the day they revealed the Mesmer.  I have to think that's another reason to believe the Mesmer was one of the last pieces that needed to be finished.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

early summer at the very latest. only WvWvW reveal left.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by sonoggi

-WvWvW

-The new trait system

-Extended information about the various mini games

-A 3rd book to be released

-The atribute system

-2 More starting areas to be shown.

-More structured PvP places.

-Access to the game from mobile devices

And so on.....

There is still a lot to be revealed without them giving away the whole gameplay experience.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

Originally posted by cali59

Originally posted by Triadninja

They've known it was the Mesmer the entire time, they just didn't reveal it to us until they were happy with it.  It's not like they just created it and now they need to make sure it's functional.  That they went into beta means that things are in a state they feel they are happy with.  They might still overhaul things, but it will be trying to improve something that already works, not trying to implement or fix something that doesn't work at all.

The sylvari are an example of this.  The original design was ok, but the designer wanted to do more and so she worked on a redesign of the race on her own at night.  They didn't even formally announce the sylvari until after the redesign, when they were really happy with it.  Other things, like the energy system worked well enough to show, but were eventually scrapped.

I don't know if you misspoke in your 2nd paragraph, but closed beta has already started.  It was announced the day they revealed the Mesmer.  I have to think that's another reason to believe the Mesmer was one of the last pieces that needed to be finished.

I did not know that it was in CB. You just made my day.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its official now, GW2 will release mid April 2012, as i will be traveling the last 2 weeks of April and the first one of May. With my luck the release is bound to happen then. And i will have no internet access during that time.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

There is two major things left before release. But we don't know how long they would take

A) Closed Beta

B) Marketing (wich includes the open beta).

About Closed beta the question is, will it be short or long?

Here is my arguments for why it will be longer than most fans think.

1) Beta started just before holiday- (that doesn't indicate a ultra short beta)

2) No applications for closed beta. That doesn't point at a large numbers of testers, wich again doesn't points at a short test time. And its a HUGE world. I don't think people realise how big it is , and how much there is to test!

3) ArenaNet is a very iterative compagny- they test and rework things alot. As we have seen in the changes from demo to demo. Wich means they are a firm very likely to use feedback from beta testers to improve or rework an area or element of the game. I would be surprised if they didn't calculate with some time to do that in their planning for beta testing. And even more surprised if they don't use it.

4) the game hasn't been in development for 5 years before this summer. That they have been planning to do such an ambitious projekt as GW2 shorter than that, I don't find that realistic. If anything was learnt from WAR and other "short"3 or 4 years development games it was don't release an unfinished game. And thats have lead to the famous " when its ready" approach, wich no way can be connected to short develpment time.  

5) If they Planned a short beta- I would call it a gamble that they very early this year announced that beta would start before end of the year. Because that give very little room to deal with delays and still keep the promise. It could be just that they did, using all the time they had and barely was ready for a short beta they started in last moment. And besides that it would raise the likeness that something would show up in beta that requires time to fix, I simply don't find it likely that ArenaNet gamble in such a way. The longer the beta, the safer it is to say when its going to start. Because you just start it and test whats ready, while the compagny still works on the rest. I think thats a more likely situation in this case.

About marketing ? To start when a release day is given - wich most likely will be when closed beta is done. I quess around 3 month - to get expectations up, conduckt several open beta events(as per FAQ), and give people from outside the hardcore MMO fanbase time to discover the game, the release day and jumb on the wagon. This is the basic price in time there is from not haven given a release day already. It simply means they need to spend more time to "sell the release day" and get outsiders a chance to get onboard.

I know all this is speculation, but its based on my admiration for ArenaNet and how I think they work.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its official now, GW2 will release mid April 2012, as i will be traveling the last 2 weeks of April and the first one of May. With my luck the release is bound to happen then. And i will have no internet access during that time.

Actually, that is not unlikely. The closed beta have been on since 18th december and releasing it the 18 april  on the first GWs birthday is far from impossible, You're screwed. ;)

Another possibility is a late august release in time for GamesCon.

It really depends on how the beta goes, what is said so far is that it is going great but that might change fast once the people have maxed out their characters, hard to tell.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

-WvWvW

-The new trait system

-Extended information about the various mini games

-A 3rd book to be released

-The atribute system

-2 More starting areas to be shown.

-More structured PvP places.

-Access to the game from mobile devices

And so on.....

There is still a lot to be revealed without them giving away the whole gameplay experience.

I have a question about this, do we know for certain if Conquest is going to be the only style of PvP in structured? I'm hoping not, think it could get old very fast if so.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Early summer at the very earliest I think.  I'm thinking October/November is more realistic.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Kyelthis

I have a question about this, do we know for certain if Conquest is going to be the only style of PvP in structured? I'm hoping not, think it could get old very fast if so.

Yes, that much has been confirmed. We will have different maps with different secondary features though, like the trebuchets in Khylo.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Naqaj

Yes, that much has been confirmed. We will have different maps with different secondary features though, like the trebuchets in Khylo.

Meaning it'll all be "stand near a capture point until it caps" PvP? They should at least have capture the flag or any other type as well, unless that constitutes Conquest.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Meaning it'll all be "stand near a capture point until it caps" PvP? They should at least have capture the flag or any other type as well, unless that constitutes Conquest.

While that may be fine for 'small scale' PVP...I don't think that's at all what many people are looking for.  I know I would definately be disappointed if their WvWvW consisted of 'capture the node' mechanics - and not something FAR more interesting - similar to DAOC RvR

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Eliandal

While that may be fine for 'small scale' PVP...I don't think that's at all what many people are looking for.  I know I would definately be disappointed if their WvWvW consisted of 'capture the node' mechanics - and not something FAR more interesting - similar to DAOC RvR

The only type of Structured PVP mode that will be in at release is Conquest (capture the node), but they will have different maps with different secondary features like Naqaj said. 

Some of the other things we’re working on now involve things like moving capture points, or a big area where a dragon flies over and kills everything in it occasionally. There’s another area that’s very, very vertical that takes place on the ruins of Great Northern Wall.   http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/103799/page/2

World PVP will have capturable objectives, like mines and keeps.  I don't think we know the mechanism by which those are captured.  We know there will be NPC defenders in there that exist to slow down attackers and give time for players to mount a real defense, so even if it's the same "node" style of capturing, it probably won't be back and forth and back again like it is in Structured PVP.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Tentonhammer always have good reads.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I would say a Q2 release might seem a bit early, especially considering how tight-lipped ANet has been since the Summer/Fall "Con" tour. We just recently received the Mesmer announcement, and to be honest, there wasn't a ton of fanfare, mostly because it wasn't announced during a Con.

We know closed Beta started, and I am willing to bet that ANet would love the launch on the anniversary of GW, but unless things are progressing faster than what they seem, I doubt if they'd make it out before June.

I do get the feeling that it will be a sudden full court press type marketing plan though. Where all of a sudden, with little warning we are bombarded with a ton of pre-release info and the announcement of a release date.

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

5/26/2012