Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release date estimation?

Comments

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Let me see.... I'm playing SWTOR for a month or two now... I got Kingdoms of Amalur coming, then The Secret World... So I can do with a late summer release. :)

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by fiontar

I'm now thinking June 2012. If it's earlier than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it's later than that, hopefully it won't be much later.

The English translation of the NCSoft Q3 2011 conference call was poor, at best. They talked about GW2 reaching [paraphrased]"full commercialization as early as mid year, but possibly in the second half, depending on the results of beta". In addition to the language issue, one also has to wonder if "full commercialization" meant "Release in the West", or "Release to the West and the East". So, either the Eastern release may be a bit earlier than expected, or the Western release may be a bit later than hoped, depending on what they actually meant!

I'm hopeful "full commercialization" has the global release connotation. Not impossible, since the devs mentioned at the convention in London that NCSoft was funneling hundreds of developers from other divisions into work on GW2. I figured at the time that had to include regionalization efforts as a big portion of that number. It could be that Blade & Soul needs a lot more work and has slipped significantly, while GW2 is showing even more promise than expected, which might result in the Eastern release of B&S being pushed back to 2013 and the Easternized version of GW2 coming much sooner after the Western release than initially planned. (The original strategy was for B&S to be NCSoft's big MMO for the Eastern market in 2012 and GW2 being the big Western release for 2012, with each then being regionalized for the opposite market in 2013).

That is some interesting stuff.  I guess the NCSoft manpower reallocation explains how they were able to show up at GStar with a localized Korean version (including voiceover).  The switch to GW2 focus in the east explains their excitement over both the piles of people queueing up to play and the positive reactions.  The ANet team seemed to be really pumped by the reception the game got.  Must be because the parent company had a lot riding on it.  Wish I knew what 'full commercialization' meant.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by TheMeddler

Originally posted by Margulis

They JUST started invite only closed beta testing - it's got 6 months to go at least is my guess.  Summer or fall I say.

However, the did say they're planning on closed beta in winter (achieved) and an early spring release, and with the time they've been taking already to work out bugs and perfect the game, and seeing as they are on time with the beta, I wouldn't be surprised if they game came out just in time.

Spring it is.

It has to be. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Its a good thing people love gambling, because thats just what this is for most people. If everything with beta goes according to plan and there are no other. Timeconsuming hickups (which with arenanets dedication is highly unlikely) the release might be in May or even April. But thats still very unlikely. Maybe its time for another poll on this topic, but that poll will be based on assumptions, and as we all know by now, assumption is the mother of all fockups.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

Sometime between now and ten years.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i wouldnt be surprised they have to delay!nobody knows how the closed beta went!after chrismas they ll analyse fully the data and decide

as for those feeling gittery!max wait we got is around 12 month

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Chivalry1978

Its been delayed, They submited a copy to the investorys and they all asked "Is that it?" So yeah generic asian mmo 2 delay sorry...

This post is factually false. Anyone who has the slightest of clue on how the financial world operates would know this.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

investor?would that be ncsoft!i sure hope so cause ncsoft own arenanet!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by drbaltazar

A product launch or a demo of a new product to a group of investors/shareholders are done all the time.

Some are considered confidential and some are not. The investor/shareholder doesn't have to attend and sometimes they don't because they don't like being gagged.

If you are interested in managing your own funds and growing it, shares/bonds can be fun. It is stressful but it forces you to learn a lot since it is your money on the line. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by drbaltazar

A product launch or a demo of a new product to a group of investors/shareholders are done all the time.

Some are considered confidential and some are not. The investor/shareholder doesn't have to attend and sometimes they don't because they don't like being gagged.

If you are interested in managing your own funds and growing it, shares/bonds can be fun. It is stressful but it forces you to learn a lot since it is your money on the line. :)

i could be wrong here but i highly doubt a lot outside arenanet saw gw2,and if there were they were demmed mandatory by ncsoft NOT by arenanet!

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Q2, sometime in Q1 open beta/public demo, if things go well.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its a good thing people love gambling, because thats just what this is for most people. ...

I don't vote in these polls because I'm a terrible gambler.  Luckily I know that.  I would always vote for the earliest option and pray.  :)

[mod edit[

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Originally posted by fiontar

I'm now thinking June 2012. If it's earlier than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it's later than that, hopefully it won't be much later.

The English translation of the NCSoft Q3 2011 conference call was poor, at best. They talked about GW2 reaching [paraphrased]"full commercialization as early as mid year, but possibly in the second half, depending on the results of beta". In addition to the language issue, one also has to wonder if "full commercialization" meant "Release in the West", or "Release to the West and the East". So, either the Eastern release may be a bit earlier than expected, or the Western release may be a bit later than hoped, depending on what they actually meant!

I'm hopeful "full commercialization" has the global release connotation. Not impossible, since the devs mentioned at the convention in London that NCSoft was funneling hundreds of developers from other divisions into work on GW2. I figured at the time that had to include regionalization efforts as a big portion of that number. It could be that Blade & Soul needs a lot more work and has slipped significantly, while GW2 is showing even more promise than expected, which might result in the Eastern release of B&S being pushed back to 2013 and the Easternized version of GW2 coming much sooner after the Western release than initially planned. (The original strategy was for B&S to be NCSoft's big MMO for the Eastern market in 2012 and GW2 being the big Western release for 2012, with each then being regionalized for the opposite market in 2013).

Very interesting post.  I tried listening to the Q3 conference call however it would not play for me.  My estimate is May-June time frame.  With Mike recently being quoted saying that the closed beta went much better than anyone expected we MIGHT see an April release but I don't really think they can get the regionalization done in that time frame.

It would be really cool if it was released on Guild Wars birthday, but I don't think that will happen.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

We must also keep in mind that Aion will be going F2P in February 2012, and I don't think NCSoft would allow that to interfere with the Closed BetaOpen Beta/Release of Guild Wars 2. So I am not expecting a somewhat more open phase of the Closed Beta until about 1-2 months after Aion going F2P.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I wonder whether these to have any influence on each other. Aion is going f2p in Europe only.  Furthermore, GW1 is very succesful and mostly played in Germany (in relation to the total population), which could tell us that GW2 might see open beta in February or March and NCSoft is trying to get the most out of Aion in the West shortly before GW2 is publicly playtested.

I would expect them to keep Aion P2P up to the last minute before GW2 is available to play.  No reason to give away free sub time before that.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

When it's ready?

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by IPolygon

I wonder whether these to have any influence on each other. Aion is going f2p in Europe only.  Furthermore, GW1 is very succesful and mostly played in Germany (in relation to the total population), which could tell us that GW2 might see open beta in February or March and NCSoft is trying to get the most out of Aion in the West shortly before GW2 is publicly playtested.

But by going F2P in Europe Aion could possibly attract a lot of new customers, and with the Guild Wars IP being quite popular in Europe the release or open beta of Guild Wars 2 could cause Aion to attract a lot less customers than NCSoft would've had hoped. And ofcourse, the opposite could also happen, with Aion pulling away people from playing Guild Wars 2, even if only in Beta form.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by zephermarkus

at this point guild wars 2 is still vaporware no rlease date and sme demo been shown for a year! I am looking foward to never release 2 but i dont think it be out anytime before the end of next year if that or ever.

What they shown the last 2 years is a lot more than vaporware. Blizzard also don't give out a date before they know when things will be ready, smart companies do things like that.

Remember the whine when TOR was moved back last spring?

Vaporware is games like Stargate SG1,.

• KitynKityn Member UncommonPosts: 117

Originally posted by Alot

I would say somewehere in Q2 (either shortly before TSW and otherwise possibly a month or two after) or in late August or even September.

This with open beta starting in March or April would be my guess.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

I believe they will be aiming for an April release.

Given that everything they have factually confirmed it does look like things are moving along as planned but knowing their style I do not believe they would have any problem with a release either earlier or later than April providing the game is ready to ship.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

March/April 2012

• thazdingothazdingo Member Posts: 2

It will be released TOMORROW as a new year gift! I hope at least. Pessimistic on: 21.03.2012

• TheMeddlerTheMeddler Member Posts: 9

Here's my new thinking:

It's possible it may come out in Feb-March. See, with a company like Arenanet, you can never tell. Like everyone has been saying, they're perfectionists. If even one thing is wrong, they have to go back and fix it. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing according to beta. Of course, beta testing is to search for bugs and making sure the servers can support a mass amount of people. But since Arenanet is full of perfectionists, I'd assume most of the bugs are taken out and fixed, because they would have fixed them much earlier so they don't have to deal with them later - because they want it to be perfect. They said they've been iterating and reiterating over and over again to make the game perfect, so I really don't expect it to be too long from now... I really wouldn't be surprised if it came out in March, but depending on how the beta goes, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out in October.

Played: World Of Warcraft, Runescape, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord Of The Rings Online, Runes Of Magic, Rift