Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSO2

Sega's PSO/PSU series is what most would consider a marginal MMORPG; the action is twitch, the camera is third-person, and gameplay mechanics have a more "arcade" style feeling.

With PSO2 the style and atmosphere are a nod to its dreamcast predeccesor while the action-oriented gameplay has been built on top of the mechanic improvements of PSU.

Simply put, PSO2 could really shake things up in the MMO world and I'd like to generate some excitement - being a total fanboy of the series - by posting some video links of certain elements.

Character Creation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFLmf_JOI8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRBTo4zaAt0

Combat and Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuoBG03q4o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NSn3XoA5E&feature=related

Character Types

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMOLkRCi_5s&feature=related

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Do people care any more? This game was good only because at the time nothing else offered this experience on the console. Now it just feels so dated and it wasn't the story or art that kept people playing. The Japanese prove time and time again they just don't get online games or how to make the interface fun to use.

• somatzusomatzu Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by tixylix

Do people care any more? This game was good only because at the time nothing else offered this experience on the console. Now it just feels so dated and it wasn't the story or art that kept people playing. The Japanese prove time and time again they just don't get online games or how to make the interface fun to use.

You're right; the general mmo public doesn't care, hence the purpose of my post - to generate some interest. Also, Japanese players may resent your comment that they don't get online games. Are you basing that opinion on the poorly received FFXIV? There might be some truth to it. However, plenty of people have said to me they're tired of the grinding and the static click-and-watch style of other games. In fact, I think those are fine game mechanics, but I think PSO2 has something different to offer, and I'm hoping it gets a chance.

I think you're right about the story, but not the art. The stories have always been tenuous, and to be fair, this is always the hardest part of any game to get right, imo. However, I thought the art was fantastic, and the sci-fi setting along with the disco-techno  soundtrack offered something new. 

Also, look at the character creation. They really care about customization and giving everyone a chance to truly personalize their character. 

And in the realm of gameplay, they are transplanting action third person shooting elements from games like lost planet 2 into their shooting character type. I think that's pretty cool as opposed to clicking on a target and simply watching the action.

And finally, the interface is going to be completely overhauled. As you probably know, PSO/PSU's interface was tailored to consoles - making it incredibly cumbersome to do anything. I can gaurantee they're not going to make that mistake with a PC-only release.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Proof is all around from Nintendo and Sonys horrible online service with their consoles to games like can you think of a single Japanese game that is good online? They're all single player games and yeah FF11 and FF14 both have the worst service ever with their account managers and clients.

Saying that they're really falling back with their games, they're just being left behind by the west and cannot seem to keep up. JRPGs died many years ago and I think the only Eastern developer that can create something is Nintendo. 

• McDougles1McDougles1 Member Posts: 35

Isn't there a rule against blatant advertising on these forums? Because I'm pretty sure this is a big no-no, especially as a first post being for a specific game with links to external content.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by tixylix

can you think of a single Japanese game that is good online?

Uncharted Waters Online

"Isn't there a rule against blatant advertising on these forums? Because I'm pretty sure this is a big no-no, especially as a first post being for a specific game with links to external content."

Threads like this one are what the forum is for, aren't they?  It's not like he's advertising clothing.  You could argue that a thread like this should have gone in the specific game forum for the game, except that there isn't a forum for the game in question, or at least, not yet.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Having never heard of this, I was googling and found it might be Japanese exclusive.  Any word on whether that's still true?  And if so, what options North American players would have?

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

I am definately a PSO fanboy and cant wait to try PSO2. As far as if it will remain Japanese only, only time will tell. America has gotten all the other PS games, so I don't know why we wouldn't get a chance at this version.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by cali59
    Having never heard of this, I was googling and found it might be Japanese exclusive.  Any word on whether that's still true?  And if so, what options North American players would have?

I was a huge fan of the Dreamcast PSO. I've been following this one closely. I don't know if this game will make it to the western audience. I hope it does. I predict they will have to make a few changes to the character creation process though. Theres like 8 boob sliders haha. I don't see that "feature" making it across the pond. If the game does export, I think they said it would be PC only.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

I do commend your efforts OP, if there is a new online game that you are excited to play you should definitely post it, and hopefully they will make a forum for it here.  There is a forum for Phantasy Star Universe so I can't see why this game can't have a forum as well.

As far as interest, people are quick to trash talk any game in this forum, especially P2P games.  Also it might be a bit too soon to be hyping this game with no official announcement of US release.  Yes it might come out as the other versions did, but it's just as likely not to come out as the US market is already being saturated with a ton of new titles in 2012.

• somatzusomatzu Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

I do commend your efforts OP, if there is a new online game that you are excited to play you should definitely post it, and hopefully they will make a forum for it here.  There is a forum for Phantasy Star Universe so I can't see why this game can't have a forum as well.

As far as interest, people are quick to trash talk any game in this forum, especially P2P games.  Also it might be a bit too soon to be hyping this game with no official announcement of US release.  Yes it might come out as the other versions did, but it's just as likely not to come out as the US market is already being saturated with a ton of new titles in 2012.

The support is much appreciated! 

The fact that it's a PC-only title may work in favor of having it ported here. My reasoning stems from what may be an errouneous assumption that developing and localizing this kind of game for the PC would entail less hurtles than developing for consoles would.

I don't know if anyone here has every played Game Dev Story for iOS/android, but in that game when choosing what platform to develop for PC is always the cheapest.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Been following PSO2 for a long time. I hope they bring it over here because PSO2 is looking much better than PSO and PSU.