Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap, reliable gaming PC? (Budget of $500!)

2»

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Scypheroth

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you want a gaming computer on a $500 budget, then you're building it yourself and running many games at low to moderate settings.

As for what it will take to max settings, we don't know, as Guild Wars 2 isn't out.  What it takes to max settings varies wildly from one game to the next, and some games won't let you max settings with a smooth frame rate on any hardware available on the market today.

i disagree STRONGLY with this....i build my computer for a lil under 500 and i have yet to find a game i cannto run at max settings...i can play skyrim a full and crysis 2 at full...just ahve to find the right place for parts...runnign

2 radeon 6770 video cards

1000watt power supply

soundblaster 24bit card

512G harddrive

1TB external HDD

ASUS mobo

AMD athelonx2 black edition 2.8ghz

8G DDR3 ram

basic keyboard and mouse and speakers

Alienware case (ebay)

ALREADY HAD MONITOR AND BORROWED WINDOWS 7 64 BIT FROM A FRIEND TO INSTALL LEGIT!

now for all the parts i got them for dirt cheap off of:

Tigerdirect.ca (canada) .com for (US)

end total was a lil shy of 500 and then i got 80 back from all the rebates (mail in)

so for ppl who say u cant get a good gaming computer for under 500....suck it

If you got all of that second hand then yeah maybe it was less than $500 but ill tell you right now that 2 6770's will cost you at least $200

Also, you totally failed to mention what resolution you're playing at.. I mean yeah, anyone can max any game when it's at 1024x800 but 1920x1200 is another story completely.

How about you tell us how much you paid for each and give us the proper specs?

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Scypheroth

2 more monitors

I play on 3 monitors and trust me when I say you need something with a bit more power (understatement...) than 2 6770's and a 2.8Ghz dual core to do it without playing games on the lowest settings possible.

• FlaebFlaeb Member Posts: 91

Whats the matter with Cyberpowerpc? I bought 2 pcs and a laptop from them at great prices and most of the time free shipping. Never had an issue.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Originally posted by Flaeb

Whats the matter with Cyberpowerpc? I bought 2 pcs and a laptop from them at great prices and most of the time free shipping. Never had an issue.

There's a pretty good chance that you

a)  spent more than $500, and

b)  got a cheap junk power supply that would fail the "reliable" criterion.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If you want a gaming computer on a $500 budget, then you're building it yourself and running many games at low to moderate settings.

As for what it will take to max settings, we don't know, as Guild Wars 2 isn't out.  What it takes to max settings varies wildly from one game to the next, and some games won't let you max settings with a smooth frame rate on any hardware available on the market today.

Agreed, as we said earlier it is possible to build a machine for 500 bucks if you have the OS already. If you also have screen, mouse and keyboard it is a lot easier but I had at least an acceptable build for $508 + OS from newegg. 

$500 including screen and OS will get you 8 year old crap. 

I wouldn't worry so much about GW2s performance though, the engine is coded by Jeff Strain and he is one of the best there is. A mid range computer should be able to max it out. The problem is that it is impossible to build a mid range computer under $600 unless you use second hand parts.

And yes, you need a monitor. you can get a good one for $100 and an acceptable for $80, surfing on a TV sucks.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

You'd still need to get a power supply, unless you're going to use the piece of junk that came in the combo deal.  $30 without rebates will almost never get you a decent power supply by itself.  But $30 without rebates for a case+power supply combo, and without it even being a special deal of some sort?  This is probably the power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170014

A "480 W" power supply without a 6-pin PCI-E power connector?  No 8-pin CPU power connector?  Only one SATA connector?  Have fun with that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You'd still need to get a power supply, unless you're going to use the piece of junk that came in the combo deal.  $30 without rebates will almost never get you a decent power supply by itself.  But $30 without rebates for a case+power supply combo, and without it even being a special deal of some sort?  This is probably the power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170014

A "480 W" power supply without a 6-pin PCI-E power connector?  No 8-pin CPU power connector?  Only one SATA connector?  Have fun with that.

Yeah, it is kinda crappy but for that price, what do you expect?

My Corsair Pro 950W or something? 

Now, if OP gave us $700 to build for I wouldn't have used that combo deal at all. Note that I also didn't get him a DVD ROM, something great to have but no must.

Most people have crap PSUs anyways, and even if they usually gets more expensive in the long run I rather cut down on it than of the GFX card.

• NomiMNomiM Member Posts: 21

If you're willing to play a game based on text, there are still MUDs out there today that can be run on even the crappiest computers. Check out any of the games by Iron Realms Entertainment if you get curious, they are all extremely high quality and I could ramble on for hours about the features they have. :)