Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should a MMO be more crowded in the first few weeks or months down the road?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=96770

 

i'm trying to understand. most games, you see more players when it's newly released, yes?

Comments

  • beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

    First in your daily attention thread. To answer your question yes/no maybe

  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

    some faction on some server arent popular,same faction on different server for your given class might be so popular you ll be like sorry ,sorry,sorry the whole 5 feet to reach next quest!since i havent seen a warcraftrealm type thing for swtor yet .you ll have to try a few!but once you reach level 10 you should see people everywhere you go !unless the faction you pick is unpopular on the server you are,check me on wow ,ilidan allie faction are guost toun where even you go ,same server but horde org is so packed you crash into everybody to reach garosh!

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

    Originally posted by beeker255

    First in your daily attention thread. To answer your question yes/no maybe

    I support this reply 100%

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,256

    Those that are really enjoying their class or playing a lot are having major problems nearing end game.  Not every server has people rushing to get to cap,  so yeah,  if you are on Belsavis - Ilum right now, you aren't going to find many players.. thats not where the majority is.

     

    I have a character very close to max, and 2 others mid range.  When I log on to my mid range characters, I see tons of people everywhere... when I log onto my other character,  I show 4 - 15 people on that planet at any given time.  I've even been the only person on a planet before. 

     

    The planets have tons of content.. I remember in beta when I was testing everything and not rushing, I spent 3 whole days on taris alone.. and i was playing 6 - 8 hours a day.    Now I can completely skip entire worlds minus the class quests.  I didn't even do coruscant at all on my trooper and will likely bypass most of taris.  Others will spend days or even weeks on some of those planets....

     

    And in the higher levels, they'll be spending even MORE time on those planets.. which is really a joy when you get to places like Voss.



  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,060
    Ive never been a rusher and this game gives me good reason not to be. Between trying to do all the quests,exploring and crafting, I see no reason to rush to end game. Im enjoying myself too much. Then there's my alt.....

    Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

    Originally posted by maskedweasel

    I have a character very close to max, and 2 others mid range.  When I log on to my mid range characters, I see tons of people everywhere... when I log onto my other character,  I show 4 - 15 people on that planet at any given time.  I've even been the only person on a planet before.

    So are you ahead of the Pack on the higher level worlds, or behind it?

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    This person is either exagerating or is way ahead of most people on their server. I'm on Taris (empire side) right now and there are people everywhere.

    My server has been up since day one of EA, however, and we are startin to get a lot of 50's. Maybe this guy is on a newer server?

    Either way, his example of 8 people on a planet is unheard of on my server.

    Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

    The Secret World - Dragons

    Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

    Tera - Dragonfall Server

    http://www.shadowshand.com

  • dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Also, notice that thread got locked, lol.

    Anyways those people started blaming it on "sharding" which doesn't make sense in this case. They aren't sharding a planet when it hits 8 players. Lol!

    Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

    The Secret World - Dragons

    Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

    Tera - Dragonfall Server

    http://www.shadowshand.com

  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,256

    Originally posted by Icewhite

    Originally posted by maskedweasel

    I have a character very close to max, and 2 others mid range.  When I log on to my mid range characters, I see tons of people everywhere... when I log onto my other character,  I show 4 - 15 people on that planet at any given time.  I've even been the only person on a planet before.

    So are you ahead of the Pack on the higher level worlds, or behind it?

    Way ahead.  My level 48 character only has a handful of players around.   My level 15 - 20, its so easy to find groups and join people.    Even rerolling you see tons of people on the starter planets due to rerolls or new players,  but end game so far is very light.  Either people haven't reached it yet, or the people who rushed and did reach it rerolled due to nobody else getting there yet.

     

    Then of course, you have those level 50s in the warzones... but we don't like to talk about them.



  • PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

    It is called sharding. Look in the upper left and see if that number says more then 1 then there is more then you in multiple zones probably. The assumption is Bioware will reduce doing this and everyone will end up in the same zone eventuallllllllllllly, but this is a total guess and nothing has been confirmed by Bioware.

     

    People say it is a good thing because of questing and ninja'n mobs. I say screw you it is a MMO and god screwed respawn times for a reason. The respawn times just suck in TOR apparently.

  • fonyfony Member Posts: 755

    Originally posted by Puremallace

    It is called sharding. Look in the upper left and see if that number says more then 1 then there is more then you in multiple zones probably. The assumption is Bioware will reduce doing this and everyone will end up in the same zone eventuallllllllllllly, but this is a total guess and nothing has been confirmed by Bioware.

     

    People say it is a good thing because of questing and ninja'n mobs. I say screw you it is a MMO and god screwed respawn times for a reason. The respawn times just suck in TOR apparently.

     

    i played a crappy game called AION for one month. it had shards as well(channels) on each server and i ran into a lot of other players and members of the opposing faction all the time. i think the real accute cause is the amount of people allowed per server. 

  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 2,972

    I'm on an RP server that is listed as "very heavy" populated. The only time I've been by myself is on my ship. Granted, I'm just about to leave Corusant, but so far chat has been heavy every day and I have actually had to fight over spawns.

    I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  • dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

    Mallace:



    No. Just no. The link this guy provided is complaining about there only being 8 people on his planet. This is not because of sharding.



    I know it's tough, but think about what you are saying for once. You think the cap on a planet for sharding is 8 people? Thats ridiculous.



    This guy is just way ahead of the majority of players. They are not making instances of planets for 8 freaking people.



    As far as the respawn times go: wrong again. TOR uses dynamic respawn times. Theyare usually pretty fast. Much faster than other MMOs. They do vary based on how many people are in the zone, but you wouldn't know that. Even fast respawn times don't solve everything.



    The "assumption" that shardin will be reduced has already happened. The shardig on my server has almost been non existent except for the noon zones. I haven't seen a sharded planet in days (and they've had a he'll of a lot more people than 8). The population is spreading out.



    I regularly see planets with 200 people that aren't instanced.







    Here's a tip, if you're going to keep talking about game mechanics that are dynamic and change every day, maybe you should actually play the game and get a sense for how these mechanics work before you come posting your misinformation as fact. Until then, why don't you sit on the sidelines and read about the facts from people who play the game.

    Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

    The Secret World - Dragons

    Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

    Tera - Dragonfall Server

    http://www.shadowshand.com

  • ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

    Its really funny how people who ask these questions get the same answers even during different timelines of the game.

    "the game has only been out for a week! wtf you expect to see a billion people in one zone!"

    "the game has been out for a year! wtf you expect to see a lot of people in one zone!"

    "the game has been out 5 years! wtf nobody plays it anymore!"

  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,256

    Originally posted by dubyahite

    Mallace:



    No. Just no. The link this guy provided is complaining about there only being 8 people on his planet. This is not because of sharding.



    I know it's tough, but think about what you are saying for once. You think the cap on a planet for sharding is 8 people? Thats ridiculous.



    This guy is just way ahead of the majority of players. They are not making instances of planets for 8 freaking people.



    As far as the respawn times go: wrong again. TOR uses dynamic respawn times. Theyare usually pretty fast. Much faster than other MMOs. They do vary based on how many people are in the zone, but you wouldn't know that. Even fast respawn times don't solve everything.



    The "assumption" that shardin will be reduced has already happened. The shardig on my server has almost been non existent except for the noon zones. I haven't seen a sharded planet in days (and they've had a he'll of a lot more people than 8). The population is spreading out.



    I regularly see planets with 200 people that aren't instanced.







    Here's a tip, if you're going to keep talking about game mechanics that are dynMic and change every day, maybe you should actually play the game and get a sense for how these mechanics work before you come posting your misinformation as fact. Until then, why don't you sit on the sidelines and read about the facts from people who play the game.

    200 people is the cap per shard... at least on the earlier - smaller sized planets -  not 8.   

     

    Could you imagine having more than 200 people running around nar shaddaa?  You'd be waiting in spawn queues.

     

    If you have 8 people on a planet then you are way ahead of everyone else,  or you are in a shard that just got started and could probably port to another one with more people if you wanted to.



  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

    Originally posted by Complication

    Its really funny how people who ask these questions get the same answers even during different timelines of the game.

    "the game has only been out for a week! wtf you expect to see a billion people in one zone!"

    "the game has been out for a year! wtf you expect to see a lot of people in one zone!"

    "the game has been out 5 years! wtf nobody plays it anymore!"

    Because it's all relative?  In five years, we'll see the big pile of people at the cap, a smaller pile in the newbie zones, and nothing in between.

    It's really not that mysterious, just typical MMO player population curves.

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

    Just got of playing on my EU RP server and there was 130 people on Balmorra but I am only level 17 and of course I see players everywhere just done a 4 man Heroic. I can only agree with others that have said he's probably above lvl40 as I counted 9 level 50's last night on my server, they do say its lonely at the top, seems its true. image

    This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Sign In or Register to comment.