Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

after Rift and SWtor

senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

played Rift and now getting bored of it,thinking about playing TOR but im not a sci-fi mmo fan,not even a starwars fan,so its not going to happen,well my point is..after all this 2 big game came out,are we expecting GW2 will be the next mmo to come out?is it GW2 will be the next mmo?ive seen alot of mmo like tera, blade and soul and many more,but gw2 is the only game im waiting for..so what mmo do you think will come out first after TOR?

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

There is more than just Guild Wars 2. Planet Side 2 has a big following, Archage, and also TSW. TSW is a sleeper so far that every critic has gotten excited about, but few players have heard of. Best way to describe TSW is that its the Ron Paul of MMORPG.

Actually the more i think about that statement the more i think its true. They both want to change everything, and everyone thinks they are crazy.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

It depends on your perspective.  As a veteran MMO player from EQ1 release  there are very few games of interest in development.

GW2 will be the next big hyped MMO but I don't think it will hold peoples attention very long.  More a game for those playing on the side as a second game like people did with Skyrim. 

The next big MMO is likely 2-3 years away in EQ Next and being an SOE game many would and should be very skeptical.  Many people have hopes it will be a copy of Vanguard but with actual funding.  But again it is SOE.

TSW will also be hyped but it looks more for the kiddie crowd than veteran MMO players,  Not to mention its another Funcom game so expect a lot of hype, eye candy with little substance.

Outside of EQ Next I don't think there is a serious next big game on the horizon.  Blizzard's new MMO will have massive hype but all leaks seem to indicate its not a MMO but more a FPS.  But who knows.

Really there are only 3 MMOS left for veteran players EQ2, WoW and Rift.  SWTOR may end up in that category but ti remains to be seen if they will have any kind of challenging PvE endgame.  Given their target audience and the level of difficulty of the game it is very doubtful.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Zippy

I guess it depends on your perspective as a veteran MMO player from EQ1 release.  I think  there is very little coming in terms of games of interest.

GW2 will be the next big hyped MMO but I don't think it will hold peoples attention very long.  More a game for those playing on the side like people did with Skyrim. 

The next big MMO is likely 2-3 years away in EQ Next and being an SOE game many would be very skpetical.  Many people have hope it will be a copy of Vanguard but with actual funding.  But again it is SOE.

TSW will also be hypes but it looks more for kiddie crowd than veteran MMO players,  Not to mention its another Funcom game so expect a lot of hype, eye candy and little substance.

Outside of EQ Next I don't think there is a serious next big game on the horizon.  Blizzard's new MMO will have massive hype.

Really there are only 3 MMOS left for beteran players EQ2, WoW and Rift.

TSW is kiddy? i dont see how ur statement is anywhere near the truth. Btw u mentioned that WOW is good for veterans lol? i hope that you were joking because all i see is Hate on WOW from the veterans and the people who call themselves "old school". Btw am sure we will have alot to choose from in 2012, there is TERA which has what i suspect to be te best graphics for a MMORPG of 2012 from what i heard, TSW has some nice mystery and the game looks very promising.

GW2 is another game that has some outside of the box features and ofc Archage will be amazing. I seen soem gameplay of archage from the korean version, It has very high end graphics and the sandbox features in it are really awesome. At the same time it has the traditional Themepark feel to it. 

• KitynKityn Member UncommonPosts: 117

I am a vetran MMO player from the old EQ days. I have always liked the idea of a MMORPG but hated how it was implimented. Grinding away level after level just to get to the good stuff. For this vet, GW2 will be a game I and many others have been excited and waiting to play for years. A game I can start having fun at level 1 through 80. A game I can spend my many 1000s of hours into and still will be able to see something new and interesting. GW2 will have a hold onto players more than people think. Not only for the casual players but also for the type of hardcore players than I am a part of.

I guess it depends on your perspective as a veteran MMO player from EQ1 release.  I think  there is very little coming in terms of games of interest.

GW2 will be the next big hyped MMO but I don't think it will hold peoples attention very long.  More a game for those playing on the side like people did with Skyrim. 

The next big MMO is likely 2-3 years away in EQ Next and being an SOE game many would be very skpetical.  Many people have hope it will be a copy of Vanguard but with actual funding.  But again it is SOE.

TSW will also be hypes but it looks more for kiddie crowd than veteran MMO players,  Not to mention its another Funcom game so expect a lot of hype, eye candy and little substance.

Outside of EQ Next I don't think there is a serious next big game on the horizon.  Blizzard's new MMO will have massive hype.

Really there are only 3 MMOS left for beteran players EQ2, WoW and Rift.

that depends on your definition of Veteran. see my version is, people who have played alot of MMO's. if anything TSW is more geared towards Veteran players because it is something different.

now if your definition of Veteran is "does not wish to see the old way leave" or "Played alot of EQ2 WoW and Rift" then yeah it does fit.

Dont get me wrong. i'm a vet(by my discription), ive beta tested 13 games, and i have probubly played between 30 - 40 online games. But claiming to have MMO Cred is dumb, like saying im the worlds tallest midget. The big difference is i've played games most people didn't even give the light of day. Some of them were truly hidden gems, but when you automatically write something new off you lose the hidden Gems forever.   

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Azmodai

The next big MMO is likely 2-3 years away in EQ Next and being an SOE game many would be very skeptical.  Many people have hope it will be a copy of Vanguard but with actual funding.  But again it is SOE.

TSW will also be hyped but it looks more for kiddie crowd than veteran MMO players,  Not to mention its another Funcom game so expect a lot of hype, eye candy and little substance.

Really there are only 3 MMOS left for veteran players EQ2, WoW and Rift.

TSW is kiddy? i dont see how ur statement is anywhere near the truth. Btw u mentioned that WOW is good for veterans lol? i hope that you were joking because all i see is Hate on WOW from the veterans and the people who call themselves "old school". Btw am sure we will have alot to choose from in 2012, there is TERA which has what i suspect to be te best graphics for a MMORPG of 2012 from what i heard, TSW has some nice mystery and the game looks very promising.

GW2 is another game that has some outside of the box features and ofc Archage will be amazing. I seen soem gameplay of archage from the korean version, It has very high end graphics and the sandbox features in it are really awesome. At the same time it has the traditional Themepark feel to it. 

I am not going to defend WoW's design or its effect on the genre  But there only 3 supported raid games,  WoW is one of them.  If one is a veteran MMO player they may not like the direction of modern MMO games but the options are slim.  If one wants any sort of challenge in a PvE game they are essentially limited to those 3 games.   Outside of progression raiding, MMOs have been so dumbed down, one can play any MMO blindfolded and and still not have a challenge.

sorry but TSW is anything but Dumbed down. you have to figure out your own builds down to choosing abilites and playstyle. Quests dont tell you where to go you need to investigate on your own. quests that take different paths if you skip a certian cut scene. sorry but this isnt dumbed down to me. this is starting to sound a lil complex.

Because i can.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Apparently TSW is set to release in April.  http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/16/the-secret-world-release-date-set-for-april-2012/  Whether they can meet that deadline, especially having declared it back in August, I have no idea.

GW2, they just entered closed beta so who knows when it will release.  They have an iterative process, so it's probably much further along than a typical game at the start of beta, but at the same time they're perfectionists and they want to make the game perfect at release.  Who knows how long it will take.

I'm by far mostly looking forward to GW2.  I would consider TSW but I will have a hard time justifying a subscription with GW2 coming soon or already having been released.  I'll be interested in seeing what TSW decides to do with its payment structure and whether they stick to the traditional P2P model.

Archeage, I personally don't like sandboxes but I love that there's a quality option coming for the people that do.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

Based on what i have read, its traditional P2P

Because i can.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by Dawnbr3aker

I am personally expecting GW2 to be the next big mmo of my life. And hopefully in the next few more months of waiting it will finally be release. I have looked into "Tera" and it seems to have potential, but I dont know it hasnt capture me as much as GW2 has. Im also looking forward to the rerelease of FFXIV 2.0 coming 4th quarter of 2012.  If FF pulls it off with 2.0, it will be my next big mmo besides GW2.  But I know after whats happened with FFXIVs launch, a lot will probably stay clear away. But I am a FF fan and their lore has always interested me.  Hopefully.... 2.0 lives up to the bits of hype still left in me. 

I would advise u not to expect anything from anyone.Companies are using false advertisment fake promises etc.To earn money they create hype using trailers,interviews and all that bullshit in order to make u think they will do the miracle.

Then u go buy the game and u say "what?"

We will have this,we will have that.In the end you get nothing and u only give money.

They plan on creating something unfinished with stupid interviews,videos and trailers to trap u.Then people buy the game and thats it they dont care.They earned their money from the box sales and if they earn 6 or 8 months subs from this game it's a win for them and they move to the next project.Leaving their game to it's fate to produce every single peny it can.

There are no game companies left and u better believe it.They only care how to make a lot of money with less work.

The solution is we work less we advertise more.The result is the same.

Look how many mmorpgs passed this year and if u had followed them watching interviews prereviews e3 gamescom etc.You will see how fake all game companies are and what lies they use to blind people.

If u see a lot of advertisment on a game avoid it like the plague.Good games no need to be bombarded with advertisments because their games speak for them selves.

They dont need to bombard with advertizements, however they need to be marketed. if they arent marketed most people wont know they exist.

i also know im the pot calling the kettle black on this issue, since i refuse to watch TV but still i understand the need for marketing.

The difference is the type or marketing. "We're Not in Azeroth Anymore" or "look at me im Chuck Norris" are signs of bad ones,

then other games only have videos on their websites, this turns them into sleepers.  a great game comes out that no one knows about.

we need a balance, Marketing but not bombardment.

Because i can.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Im enjoying myself so far in SWTOR but I know the themepark ride wont last for much longer, just hope it lasts until GW2 comes out.  As for TSW, I will forever be apprehensive about a Funcome game so I plan on waiting at least a month after it comes out to test it.  I will say its shaping up to be quite nice but I think Failcom will find a way to flub it up somehow.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

for TSW since its funcom,maybe wait for 1-2 months after release..still gw2..i really hope first quarter of 2012.but its imposible from what im reading from the forum,but only Anet can tell when,right?so for now still Rift (pvp all the way) :D

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

It depends on your perspective.  As a veteran MMO player from EQ1 release  there are very few games of interest in development.

GW2 will be the next big hyped MMO but I don't think it will hold peoples attention very long.  More a game for those playing on the side as a second game like people did with Skyrim. 

The next big MMO is likely 2-3 years away in EQ Next and being an SOE game many would and should be very skeptical.  Many people have hopes it will be a copy of Vanguard but with actual funding.  But again it is SOE.

TSW will also be hyped but it looks more for the kiddie crowd than veteran MMO players,  Not to mention its another Funcom game so expect a lot of hype, eye candy with little substance.

Outside of EQ Next I don't think there is a serious next big game on the horizon.  Blizzard's new MMO will have massive hype but all leaks seem to indicate its not a MMO but more a FPS.  But who knows.

Really there are only 3 MMOS left for veteran players EQ2, WoW and Rift.  SWTOR may end up in that category but ti remains to be seen if they will have any kind of challenging PvE endgame.  Given their target audience and the level of difficulty of the game it is very doubtful.

TSW for the kiddy crowd? Lovecraft is for the kiddy crowd?

REALITY CHECK