Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone is raving about Guild Wars 2, yet I just don't see it...

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The art style just looks like a generic Asian MMO to me and I just cannot get excited for how it looks. I have no idea how the world is built, I've played Guild Wars but that wasn't an MMO but I've heard this time round it is a proper world? I dunno but from everything I've seen it looks like it does the AoC thing where everything is in the skybox and the actual world is pretty enclosed and linear. 

It just looks like a very generic MMO, the art doesn't stick out at all and I have no interest in the story because the story of the first one was so bad and generic. Can some one please explain to me why people are getting so excited for it? Just looks like another Asian MMO like how everyone was excited for Aion or something and yet it just looked generic again.

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by tixylix

The art style just looks like a generic Asian MMO to me and I just cannot get excited for how it looks. I have no idea how the world is built, I've played Guild Wars but that wasn't an MMO but I've heard this time round it is a proper world? I dunno but from everything I've seen it looks like it does the AoC thing where everything is in the skybox and the actual world is pretty enclosed and linear. 

It just looks like a very generic MMO, the art doesn't stick out at all and I have no interest in the story because the story of the first one was so bad and generic. Can some one please explain to me why people are getting so excited for it? Just looks like another Asian MMO like how everyone was excited for Aion or something and yet it just looked generic again.

People are excited for GW2 because ArenaNet are a quality company, and GW1 was a great game for what it was.  It's also bringing some new gameplay to the table.  As for the art design, or story it may not be for you.  I think Rift and SWTOR are two of the most bland games I have ever played, but plenty of people love them.

If you really don't know much about the game, there is tons of info out there.  Otherwise all you can do, like the rest of us who haven't played it, is speculate and hope.  The odds are stacked against any MMO game these days.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Basically the general idea is ArenaNET is saying al the "catch phrases" people just love like Dynamic, story driven, player controlled, server vs server.

Apparently right now GW2 is:

1. DAoC 2.0 because of the world vs world vs world (basically wierd way of doing 3 faction combat) Anyone in the know can tell you this is the only way RvR can possibly work

2. UO 2.0 - Why u say ultima? Well because every single mmorpg for the past 20 years has technically copied something from Ultima. ArenaNET is removing the trinity in a mmorpg. This is major beyond the word major.

3. FPS in a mmorpg? What is the best part of Halo? When you fight someone gear does not matter and you are on equal footing. No INSTANCED RAIDING!!! They are removing the carrot. You are not a hampster on a wheel.

4. Gfx. Outisde of Aion no American dev has done character gfx like this so all the WoW derps crying about fluid combat will be happy we hope. TO bad their toasters still will not run the game.

5. ^ All that and buy to play. IN MY OPINION Rift and SWTOR should have done this payment model. Huurrr durrr I am unsubbing if no group finder....uhohhh no sub tard

6. Sandbox elements. When I change something in the enviroment it affects you. If I fail a dynamic event you pay the consequences. Basically what everyone cried for in Rift.

The game is all promises because everything up above has never really been tried by a dev without utterly failing much less 6 things at once. There is GW2 in 6 bullet points.

I promise you right now. GW2 is attracting some of the MOST HARDCORE  pvp centric mofo's you have ever seen pick up the controller, so all these WoW guys who think they are tough are going to get steam rolled. All the guys playing TERA and Aion over on the Korean servers in their american/russian/german guilds will all flock to GW2 like flies on shit.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

The art direction is... erm.. maybe slightly asian compared to cartoony western mmos... I'd say it's more "realistic" than WoW or TOR and a bit more "dreamy" than AoC. The animation seems stunning from what we've seen in the videos.

It's nothing like the first GW.. the entire world is persistent and not instanced.

As for putting everything in the skybox?... erm no.. look at some of the city videos... 

Story generic?.... again there's some videos that explain to people who haven't played GW1 about the story.. it's pretty epic if you like high fantasy.

Finally the gameplay is far from generic:

from dynamic events instead of quests to how skills work and interact with other skills,

from WvWvW PvP in the mood of the awesome DAoC to dungeons with random events,

from dynamic combat to no damn Holy Trinity !!...

this guy tells it better: http://www.guildwars2movies.com/video/138/Guild-Wars-2-Top-10-Reasons-to-Play

Most importanly.. it's ok if you don't like the game... people like different things which makes things varied and interesting.

..Cake..

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

action oriented combat

Dynamic Events that can lead to other dynamic events

Scaling Dynamic events

visually incredible boss battles

classes can fill every roll

player skill is more important than what class they play

WvWvW that will be the closest thing to DAOCs RVR

and on top of that

a personal story

personal housing instance

personal instance of the city that changes depending on your deeds

all that with no monthly charge.

but your right nothing to rave about.

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

... looks like a generic Asian MMO...   ...I have no idea ...  ...from everything I've seen...  ... looks like a very generic MMO...

Can some one please explain to me why people are getting so excited for it? Just looks like another Asian MMO like how everyone was excited for Aion or something and yet it just looked generic again.

I don't know, it seem you're trying too hard.. or not trying at all.

You've been here long enough but i'll help you anyway:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/996/General-Discussion.html

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Two more things I wanted to mention that I personaly can;t wait to experience...

- The music is made by the same guy who made the music for Skyrim...

- Rata Sum...capital city of the Asura... huge cubes floating in the sky... from the video on arenanet's site, it looks like a pretty awesome place to walk around....

..Cake..

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

First off, the game might just not be for you OP. It's not trying to please everybody. That said:

People are stoked about this game, because they either:

a) really enjoyed the first game

b) are happy with the direction Anet is taking the game

c) big fans of competitive, balanced, skill based pvp

d) a combination of the above.

Some people do like the art style and story of the game, but those don't seem to be the primary reasons. (Again, they made not appeal to you, but a lot of people are impressed with them so far).

To summarize, people are basically stoked for this game, because it seems to be the best bet we have for a different type of MMO in the near future. There are a lot of people who really enjoyed the first game as well, and are tired of the WoW/EQ - Themepark model of MMOs.

This is the first MMO in years that seems to be successfully designed from the ground-up to be a different type of game.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Well mate if you can't see beyond art direction and story then I can't help you. Personally I see games as something other than story and pictures. SW:TOR is that way - they are going for story and pictures over there.

GW2 is attempting to change the way mmos are played. "Asian grinder" is pretty much as far as you can go wrong with describing GW2. "Asian Grinders," by definition, are exploitative clones of WoW/EQ/DIKU model. GW2 is as anti-asian-grinder as you can get without going all sandoxy.

But don't believe me. Wait for release and see for yourself, if you wish.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

I think people are excited about slightly different gameplay mechanics, I'm personally am on the same boat as you. I don't see how its artstyle is Asian, but I think it's boring, also the story looks overwhelmingly generic...nothing I'd care to explore. Classes don't excite me. The dynamic events and no holy trinity stuff are nice additions, but really I don't care about that if the World isn't something I'd want to explore in the first place. The only thing I'm remotely interested in is the Charr.

I guess it matters what your top priority is when looking for a game, and I guess for most in these forums, it's new mechanics.

Plus GW1 fans are excited.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Different strokes different folks. Personally, I can't say a damn thing until I get my hands on gw2.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

In what universe does Bellevue, Washington count as "Asian"?

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by Quizzical

lol

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Quizzical

I couldn't help but facepalm when I read that and what's funny is that I pretty much mentioned that as number 3 in my Top 5 Most Ridiculous Statements about GW2. Hopefully that person just saw some random G Star footage and thought "well this all in Korean, so it must be an Asian MMO". However if it was PAX, GDC or Gamescom footage the OP was refering to then he/she deserves a slap across the head. image

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Generic art style? Tell that to dozen of awards anet have won over the past 2 years for their art!

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Worst part is that when people make these kind of threads they usually don't check back in, they said what they wanted to say and gtfo.

Hope he comes back and does some research, honestly the best and most hype I got from the game was when I read about the Dev blogs and you can just tell how much they love the game and how much faith they have in it's success. Regardless of the upcoming fact-of-the-matter.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I'm only glade that this is the only legit concern many will have once the game came out, what's funny is I say this like a million times, I had the same negative stuff flowing until I played this game, that's as far as I'm about to go.

People right now are trying their absolute best to find a flaw with Guild War 2 or absolute best to not be interested into the game, or not try to get interested in it all just because they are attempting to do something different.

I'll give something to be hyped about though to help true fluid combat with no delays what so ever lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Does the game have a seamless world or is it all instanced up like Guild Wars? What will make or break the game for me and it is really hard to find information on the world design of the game. If it is like Guild Wars then it is a deal breaker and I wont bother keeping an eye out for it, however if it is like a WoW Vanilla type world design with seamless transitions between zones then I'll give it a go.

Just it is really hard to like a game where you think art looks really bad because that is what you look at when you're playing.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

So you come to critique the game and you talk solely about the art style? LOL? Joke?

Anyway, I'll indulge you~

This game mostly does away with the rigid class bullshit in other MMORPGs. That alone is worth any amount of rave reviews in my book. Id go on but you seem like a troll.

So I'll post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs&ob=av3e

it is less snarky than I am. 

(And it will buy me time to make a decision on whether I should report you or not.)

PS. What is wrong with an Asian art style  (which GW2 doesn't really have, BTW)?

I suspect we have a closet xenophobe on our hands, folks. Seriously, take your prejudice elsewhere; it has no place here. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Nothing about being racist lol.

Just all Asian games I see look like an Anime version of LOTRO and I hate the art style in that too. One thing that annoys me the most is it looks too cute and girly, it doesn't look gritty or real enough. It doesn't look memorable, I look at the screenshots and think "yup another Asian MMO" and go straight past it because then I just think of lots of grinding and little customization. That little Race I keep seeing needs to go, it looks so pathetic and like it came out of Final Fantasy.

Why don't Asian games have Bump Mapping? LOTRO didn't have it either to be fair and it just looks horrible now. Every surface looks like a flast texture and you can see all the polygons from the triangle environments. It just looks like a throw back to games of Lineage 2 time but with modern lighting.

You know why people have been saying seems interesting, I just want to know if the world is seamless or instanced like Guild Wars?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Nothing about being racist lol.

Just all Asian games I see look like an Anime version of LOTRO and I hate the art style in that too. One thing that annoys me the most is it looks too cute and girly, it doesn't look gritty or real enough. It doesn't look memorable, I look at the screenshots and think "yup another Asian MMO" and go straight past it because then I just think of lots of grinding and little customization. That little Race I keep seeing needs to go, it looks so pathetic and like it came out of Final Fantasy.

Why don't Asian games have Bump Mapping? LOTRO didn't have it either to be fair and it just looks horrible now. Every surface looks like a flast texture and you can see all the polygons from the triangle environments. It just looks like a throw back to games of Lineage 2 time but with modern lighting.

You know why people have been saying seems interesting, I just want to know if the world is seamless or instanced like Guild Wars?

Why did you ask that at first.

It's actually both.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

lol @ generic art style. thats about as silly as someone saying SWTOR is "stylized" LOL

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

The game isn't Asian. It may look Asian to you, but it's definitely not Asian.

As for the world design, I'll try my best to describe it. I will try to do it using only facts and not claiming it to be the best design ever. :p

The world id completely open world. There are various instances used for your home and other importants story telling aspects, but the rest is pretty much as open as open gets.

The world does not run on quests. Instead, there are thousands of events that run throughout the world. These are completely persistent to everyone. That is, if you see an army of monsters attacking, everyone else will see it too. This event will then chain on and keep expanding with or without you. You may log off and come back to the area taken over, or you may come back to see that the players have defended the attack. These events take place all over the world. From watching various demos, it appears there will always be events nearby, but this is not concrete fact.

As for combat, there is hardy any emphasis on dice rolls. The games uses more of an action RPG combat system similar to God of War and Batman Arkham City. You don't rely on chances to evade or block. You physically block or dodge. If you are blinded, there isn't a chance to miss, you just simply miss your next attack. This, coupled with various aspects like heavy mobility and the downed state add for a possibly good combat system. If you prefer the traditional dice rolling combat of other MMO's, then GW2 probably won't be to your liking. You don't look at your UI in Gw2, simply because there really isn't any. You cannot see others players health on your UI, you just have to play the game by watching the actual game.

These the major things people are looking toward too. There are plenty of other things that I am toward foward too, such as the Havok engine, PvP, and grindless concepts.

Another thing that makes this a non-Asian game.... There just isn't grinding in the game, at least not to the extent of the other MMO's. Of all the new MMO's coming out, GW2 will probably have the least grind.

[mod edit]

Edit: Alright so if the world is going to open then I'll put it on my watched list, people describe interesting things about the game, just there hasn't been much info and the graphics don't suit me. At this point there is so little choice out there, I've tried to like SWTOR but I'm done with that style of game and if Guild Wars 2 is going to be different then great, even though I'm holding on to it purely because there is nothing else.

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

its simple ...people are hyped about gw2 because its not wow...which happens to be the main point that gw fan boys love to bring up. And not cause its not rift or tor or any other game people like. Simply put the game is rather generic looking the new character classes really do nothing to impress me. Hell even Diablo 3 created new dynamic classes for people rather then reskin and rename.....like gw2 did...

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

I'm not trolling anyone, that is spamming the forums just saying THIS GAME IS SHIT or ruining someones thread. This is just me having a discussion on a forum, what we're not all allowed an opinion? If you don't like my thread then don't post in it :S

Edit: Alright so if the world is going to open then I'll put it on my watched list, people describe interesting things about the game, just there hasn't been much info and the graphics don't suit me. At this point there is so little choice out there, I've tried to like SWTOR but I'm done with that style of game and if Guild Wars 2 is going to be different then great, even though I'm holding on to it purely because there is nothing else.

There is actually a lot of info out there. We know pretty much everything except WvW, guilds, and smaller things like server locations and what not.