Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG mechanics that didn't make it to TOR

I've been learning what I can via forums, talking with a player, and videos.

Prospecting, harvesters, and factories aren't there.

What I don't get is, why they wouldn't bring over what is often lauded as the best crafting system ever (even with its flaws like no deterioration)?

Space combat is a rail shooter where all spacecraft appear to fly the same.  I really liked SWG space combat, except where it did not affect life on planets or the rest of the game (never could bomb an opposing side, or stop the deployment of walkers, or insert idea here). I think the videos of space combat just sealed my wallet against the game. 

• You can't really turn (rail)

• You have infinite missles seemingly

• No 3D radar to indicate things behind you.

• No free form flight, random encounters in space, etc.

• Constant barrel rolling

My lesser complaints are:

• No droids apparently

• An era I don't care for (prefer Episode 4)

• No player cities (right?)

Comments?  Do I have it wrong?

Comments

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

They're two entirely different games. SWG is dead, sad for the folks that loved it but still it's dead. Get over it.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Nope, you've got it right. SWTOR is a fantastic game and if you choose not to play it essentially because its "not SWG" then its no1's loss but urs. That being said though, you may not enjoy certain elements of the game due to apparently liking SWG so much.

They are 2 completely different games, made by 2 completely different companies. Try it and see if you like it, the space combat is a (terrible) mini-game and has little to do with the main game, but the main game is fantastic.

• xohamxoham Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by davestr1zl

Nope, you've got it right. SWTOR is a fantastic game and if you choose not to play it essentially because its "not SWG" then its no1's loss but urs. That being said though, you may not enjoy certain elements of the game due to apparently liking SWG so much.

They are 2 completely different games, made by 2 completely different companies. Try it and see if you like it, the space combat is a (terrible) mini-game and has little to do with the main game, but the main game is fantastic.

I'm just trying to find out what the game mechanics are, and you've helped there.

So, the land combat game, leveling, PVP, and so on are great?

• DarVashielDarVashiel Member UncommonPosts: 80

You know i'm sorry alot of you don't like the space combat. but it's not terrble. It's your opinion and opinions vary. It's that simple... I happen to like the way they have implemented it. And they have gave their reasons for doing it that way, to make it feel like the movies. And it does. My opinion, maybe not yours, and thats ok.  They have more plans for it in the future just give it time...

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I loved SWG Pre CU but the space game sucked balls, I just remember most people being disappointed and quitting. JTLS was the last chance they gave the game because they had nothing to do, there was no content. Turned out however that Space was like the Ground game and also had no content lol, the only good thing that come of it was for crafters.

That said space combat in SWTOR is even worse, the ship movement is all akward and weird feeling and it is on rails and boring. What they should have done is get rid of PVE space because it is never fun and just have PVP battlegrounds like Battlefront!

• xLithxLith Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by xoham

• No droids apparently

Not that it will change your mind but you are wrong on some points.

- You do not have infinite missles when flying

- There is a radar but it isn't 3D (not sure if you knew that at least)

- There are droids and they act as your companions.

I'm enjoying SWTOR and I played SWG. However I consider myself more of a casual MMOer and SWG was not friendly to me at all back in the day (last time I played was the year it was launched). I understand there's a good amount of people that prefer that type of game and unfortunately that's not who they catered to in this new one. I just wish they hadn't cancelled SWG on everyone because I had a few friends that were still very avid players and it's always sad to see an MMO die.

• xohamxoham Member Posts: 3

Not that it will change your mind but you are wrong on some points.

- You do not have infinite missles when flying

- There is a radar but it isn't 3D (not sure if you knew that at least)

- There are droids and they act as your companions.

I'm enjoying SWTOR and I played SWG. However I consider myself more of a casual MMOer and SWG was not friendly to me at all back in the day (last time I played was the year it was launched). I understand there's a good amount of people that prefer that type of game and unfortunately that's not who they catered to in this new one. I just wish they hadn't cancelled SWG on everyone because I had a few friends that were still very avid players and it's always sad to see an MMO die.

It looks like in the videos that when missles run out, they just reload after some time.

I couldn't see a radar, but since you can't turn around I suppose it doesn't matter.

I realize some players, including me, thought JTLS could have been much more, like affecting the worlds below or drawing organized PVP fights into space, but I still liked it.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by eayes

They're two entirely different games. SWG is dead, sad for the folks that loved it but still it's dead. Get over it.

This!

However...there are things I believe SWG did quite right that I'd love to see added to SWTOR:

• Social game - before twitter, facebook or MySpace, SWG did this right! Having a casual NON-combat profession was a great idea - the lack of any content for that profession was a failure on SWGs part.

• Player housing - Giving the players a "piece" of the world to call their own is BRILLIANT! Failing to have a way for NEW players to claim their piece of a planet was a mistake. MMOs constantly have turn-over - developers need to account for it.

• Customization - character, housing, ships, droids, vehicles, cities - SWG had this down perfectly! Customization adds individuality.

But...aside from the customization of your ship in space, I think SWGs space game sucked! If you were more than a foot from someone, they bugged off your radar. NPC ships would bug on the edges of the tiny maps. There was nothing but random NPCs placed in space and there was NO mission that felt "exciting". Those that were borderline (Heavy X quest) were non-repeatable and the ones that were just wave after wave of enemies at a new random spawn. Space in SWG was 99% void. SWTOR would be wise to add PvP and some sort of free flight area down the road, but I played SWGs space game, Ace'd 4 times...probably saw 6 people in 6 years up there "randomly" flying about. Space in SWG was BORING! At least in SWTOR, it's a fun mini game...it wasn't even that in SWG...it was simply another grind to do. FUN vs grind. I'll take FUN any day.

Just my thoughts :)

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by DarVashiel

You know i'm sorry alot of you don't like the space combat. but it's not terrble. It's your opinion and opinions vary. It's that simple... I happen to like the way they have implemented it. And they have gave their reasons for doing it that way, to make it feel like the movies. And it does. My opinion, maybe not yours, and thats ok.  They have more plans for it in the future just give it time...

The problem with ToR Space is that a large majority of the people that are going to TOR played SW:G JTL or EvE.

EvE is not Rail

JTL sure as heck isn't either.

Now...I've played the Arcade Rail Space games.....I've played Console games that are Rail space.

But JTL took it to the  X/Y/Z axis...

I won't comment about ground in TOR vs Ground in SW:G because its like comparing Rotgut Scotch to 30 year old Single Malts IMO.

But space is the Issue for me. 

Its a make or break issue.

And it isn't worth a monthly sub....where as I was subbing 4 accounts at SW:G to do the space game and parts looting.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It looks like in the videos that when missles run out, they just reload after some time.

I couldn't see a radar, but since you can't turn around I suppose it doesn't matter.

I realize some players, including me, thought JTLS could have been much more, like affecting the worlds below or drawing organized PVP fights into space, but I still liked it.

You have many missiles in your hold, anywhere from 20 to 120, depending on your missile launcher.  But you only have 4 missile tubes.  If you've shot them all off, you have to wait til' they reload, and this is what you're seeing.

The other poster was referring to the ground game.  I don't think they understood you were referring to the space game.  But I'll answer.  Since it's a tunnel shooter, there's not much point in having a radar.  Particularly since there are anywhere from 1-100+ hostile targets in what would be considered "radar range" at any given time.

I liked JtL back in the day, but when I played it this spring, it just felt slow and dull beyond belief.  Customization was terrific.  Actual gameplay?  /Yawn.

For all of its warts and despite what it lacks, the space game in TOR is anything but slow-paced.  I've been doing the dailies since launch, and what little there is is still fun for me.

Edit:  constant barrel rolling is caused by whoever is playing spamming the space bar.  I haven't seen any evidence that it carries any defensive advantage.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by hipiap

The problem with ToR Space is that a large majority of the people that are going to TOR played SW:G JTL or EvE.

EvE is not Rail

I came from both.  And I play the space game for what it is, not for what I've previously played.

JtL was horribly slow paced, but I liked it for the ship customization, most notably its "Mech-warrior"-like ship customization.

I could complain all day about how X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and XW:Alliance were much faster paced.  But I still played it for what it was.

Eve's ship customization is excellent... not much about the game that I could complain about...

...except... I'm the pilot yet I have little control over how my ship manuevers.  I could rail on that all day, but in the end it is what it is, and that's good enough for me.

If others want to rail(pun intended) about what the game is or isn't, that's their beef.  But if they're doing it without trying it, I think they're making a mistake.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

- Open World feeling

- great crafting system

- not everyone could be a Jedi

- skill based

- better graphics

- customizable ships

All the TOR fanboys can stick to the TOR forum yeah SWG is dead now but it still had some of the best features in the whole genre.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by hipiap

EvE is not Rail

I came from both.  And I play the space game for what it is, not for what I've previously played.

JtL was horribly slow paced, but I liked it for the ship customization, most notably its "Mech-warrior"-like ship customization.

I could complain all day about how X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and XW:Alliance were much faster paced.  But I still played it for what it was.

Eve's ship customization is excellent... not much about the game that I could complain about...

...except... I'm the pilot yet I have little control over how my ship manuevers.  I could rail on that all day, but in the end it is what it is, and that's good enough for me.

If others want to rail(pun intended) about what the game is or isn't, that's their beef.  But if they're doing it without trying it, I think they're making a mistake.

I'll agree that parts of JTL were slower than %$#@....

And you hit it right on the head with the Customization options for all pilots in SW:G.

You didn't have to equip "Type 4" Gauss Cannon to = I Win.

You needed skill and chaff and missles and still Luck to come out on top in PvP in Space.  No Face Roll there and I liked that part.

Even the quest reward space parts and ship schematics were full of potential with the right Shipwright.

IF ToR updates from Rail to X/Y/Z type space travel/combat like in EvE or JTL....and makes it faster paced than JTL...I would be willing to Sub to ToR so that I could take part in the Space Game there.

Cause with the wonderful varients of Ships in the Star Wars Universe...I'd like to see what LEC and the ToR developers come up with for that games time period.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by DerWotan

- Open World feeling

- great crafting system

- skill based

- better graphics

- customizable ships

All the TOR fanboys can stick to the TOR forum yeah SWG is dead now but it still had some of the best features in the whole genre.

Yes and no. It also had rather pathetic programmers and bugs enough to drive anyone mad.

There is sadly a reason that SWG NGEd and that the game died, TOR is using more or less the same setting but they ain't the same games, and the games have different problems.  Comparing them is like comparing pears to apples.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

What I don't get is, why they wouldn't bring over what is often lauded as the best crafting system ever (even with its flaws like no deterioration)?

Space combat is a rail shooter where all spacecraft appear to fly the same.  I really liked SWG space combat, except where it did not affect life on planets or the rest of the game (never could bomb an opposing side, or stop the deployment of walkers, or insert idea here). I think the videos of space combat just sealed my wallet against the game. 

• Personally I could care less about this part of the game. For me the land game was much more important.They could have left space completely out and I wouldn't have cared. I'm glad that space comabt is an option only for this game.

• No droids apparently

• There are plenty of droids. You meet tons of them in game including one that is your ship companion.

• Personally I think the OT has been done to death. Setting it in the era before all the movies leaves much more freedom in the story telling aspect.

• Thank god for that. Now when I travel across Tattooine I don't have to worry about urban blight screwing with the nice landscape.

Mostly, but then I doubt it really matters. TOR is not for you. TOR is for the whole rest of us that thought SWG was a boring and broken down game. You guys had your game and now we finally got ours.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by ktanner3

• Personally I could care less about this part of the game. For me the land game was much more important.They could have left space completely out and I wouldn't have cared. I'm glad that space comabt is an option only for this game.

• No droids apparently

• There are plenty of droids. You meet tons of them in game including one that is your ship companion.

• Personally I think the OT has been done to death. Setting it in the era before all the movies leaves much more freedom in the story telling aspect.

• Thank god for that. Now when I travel across Tattooine I don't have to worry about urban blight screwing with the nice landscape.

Mostly, but then I doubt it really matters. TOR is not for you. TOR is for the whole rest of us that thought SWG was a boring and broken down game. You guys had your game and now we finally got ours.

Good for you. You have your game. Most SWG have no idea where to turn because the industry is saturated with TOR like games. There is a game they should try though, called Linkrealms. I'm sure they would enjoy it. But it's kind of a hidden project at this point, so not many know about it. I searched long and hard after I learned of the SWG shutdown. Now I don't have to settle for an MMO that feels like a single player game.  You enjoy your game. I'll enjoy mine.

Edit: I seriously had a nightmare last night where I had to try TOR because of the lack of sandbox games.  I was so happy when I woke up to realize it was just a dream.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by wrekognize

Good for you. You have your game. Most SWG have no idea where to turn because the industry is saturated with TOR like games. There is a game they should try though, called Linkrealms. I'm sure they would enjoy it. But it's kind of a hidden project at this point, so not many know about it. I searched long and hard after I learned of the SWG shutdown. Now I don't have to settle for an MMO that feels like a single player game.  You enjoy your game. I'll enjoy mine.

Thanks for posting this, been trying to remember Linkrealms' name for days!

No problem. I can send you a Beta invite code if you'd like one.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

That would be great actually, thanks!

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

ToR 'had' an absolutely brilliant crafting system during beta that was unfortunately gutted about a month before launch. I am guessing because the CEO's 4 year old couldn't figure out that barrels and triggers go on guns and not on a pair of pants. There was also a lot more customization available in the number of modable equipment items as well as in character creation. I was in beta since phase one closed and watched as more and more of the 'unique' and interesting elements were removed. By the last huge set of changes right before launch I knew that ToR was no longer the game I had waited years to play and cancelled my pre-order. It is a bad game now? No, I cannot say that. Millions of people are playing it happily and for them it is an amazing game. I was just sorry to see so much of its potential hit the cutting room floor.

Originally posted by Adiaris

That would be great actually, thanks!

I sent you a PM.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by DerWotan

- Open World feeling

- great crafting system

- skill based

- better graphics

- customizable ships

You forgot player housing - that's #1 IMO.

But sadly, every system you mention was from the ORIGINAL game. By the end though, anyone could craft capped gear, everyone could be a Jedi and there were no more skills. SOE destroyed the game.

Originally posted by Deleted User

ToR 'had'....

Deleted User?!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by wrekognize

• No droids apparently

Good for you. You have your game. Most SWG have no idea where to turn because the industry is saturated with TOR like games.....

I've played EVE, SWG, World of Warcraft, and Warhammer and not one of them is anything like TOR.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

I've played EVE, SWG, World of Warcraft, and Warhammer and not one of them is anything like TOR.

Ah, well. TOR looks like the typical advance your character by completeing quest upon quest to me. Obviously I have not played it, nor do I care to. But i'm curious, what makes TOR different for you than EVE, SWG, WOW and Warhammer?

Edit: EVE is obvious. I'm curious about the other 3.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455

Watching the biodrones try to defend TOR is cute.