Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Trailers are a lie.

2»

Comments

  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

    Well, while I really like the TOR CGI trailers, I have to agree that they're basically a lie. Some people that don't know the first thing about videogames, might be awed by that and buy the game as a gift based on that "awesomeness". It's a lie, the informed won't fall for it, but others might. Imagine a CGI like the "Deceived trailer" airing on TV as an ad for TOR, what percentage of people watching TV will think something like "OMG, that awesome. Isn't it amazing what they can do with videogames these days?"?

    imageimage
  • OurielOuriel Member UncommonPosts: 73


    Originally posted by kanade334

    Originally posted by Ananamoose
    Now for the on-topic reply, cause I actually have something to add to this topic other than Ax7 videos:
     
    Wasn't there a thread not too long ago about someone complaining about how they didn't want trailers with in game graphics? They wanted striclty CGI trailers. That was met with super amounts of backlash. My point is, either way, people will complain about stuff. 
     
    My preference would be to have in game graphics in the trailers and teasers, that way I know what I'm getting into. Even so, sometimes the graphics in the trailers aren't as good as they are on my individual PC, or visa versa. Sometimes the graphics can look underwhelming in the trailers and look fantastic on my computer...that's usually a bit more rare though.
     
    You can have  a game with fantastic graphics in the trailer but until you get it on your computer, you really don't know..so maybe it is better that they don't have the graphics because either way you can end up disappointed.
     
    It really comes down to everyone's personal preferences though. If the in-game graphics are integrated well then I like watching it. I also like watching some CGI trailers too, but definitely prefer tne good in-game graphics trailers. So I guess I'm pretty neutral about it..it all really depends on my mood.
     
    all i have to say is that tarailers give false ilusions they make the trailer look al Loverly-dovely with awesome graphics and  smoth gameplay with no laggs or glitches and make the story all perfect, when the reality is your a stickman walking across a road with really poor graphics, if u know what i mean anyway i must say i agree , people will always complain about trailers and games and i agree with this one to,  why not make a Game that has equal graphics story and intresting features that are at least 80% true to the trailer? noone would complain about the trailer being false xP 

    They can't make the games look exactly like the trailer because we can't afford for a technology like the big game studios have. The trailers are Computer-Generated Images and they are rendered as a movie. It takes a lot of processing power to render, whilst, if some game studios made a game like that, we would barely reach 1 FPS because the computer will need to render those images into 3D and that's why, we can't have games to look exactly like the trailers.

    The trailer is used as a prelude on what will/might happen within the game.

  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

    Originally posted by Ouriel

     


    *snip

    They can't make the games look exactly like the trailer because we can't afford for a technology like the big game studios have. The trailers are Computer-Generated Images and they are rendered as a movie. It takes a lot of processing power to render, whilst, if some game studios made a game like that, we would barely reach 1 FPS because the computer will need to render those images into 3D and that's why, we can't have games to look exactly like the trailers.

    The trailer is used as a prelude on what will/might happen within the game.

     But they can make the trailer look like the game and NOT lie. They simply prefer to lie with a CGI movie that often has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay in any way. That raises false expectations, period. The lie because they want to lie, simple. But I guess some people would just call it advertising, making your product look better than it is.

    imageimage
  • psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

    Originally posted by mastersomrat

    Anyone else believe Dev's should be forced into useing ingame footage for trailers?  Really, why make like a movie when they and most everyone knows they looking nother like this.  I's actually like to see ingame material in these trailers.  I know some Dev's actually do this and I give them two thumbs up for this.  I think a  good rule of thumb is if the dev's need to over hype their game with fake footage, the the game itself most likely will fail.

    the problem is if they did make the game to look like the trailer, you can't afford the computer to play their game:)

    though I WAS hoping that SWtOR looked MORE like mass effect/dragon age and ALOT less like WoW/anarchy online.

     

  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

    Originally posted by mastersomrat

    Anyone else believe Dev's should be forced into useing ingame footage for trailers?  Really, why make like a movie when they and most everyone knows they looking nother like this.  I's actually like to see ingame material in these trailers.  I know some Dev's actually do this and I give them two thumbs up for this.  I think a  good rule of thumb is if the dev's need to over hype their game with fake footage, the the game itself most likely will fail.

    Welcome to marketing 101...

     

    A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,239

    Originally posted by kakasaki

     

    Welcome to marketing 101...

     

    Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

     

  • psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792
    Originally posted by Sovrath


    Originally posted by kakasaki


     

    Welcome to marketing 101...

     

    Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

     

     

    I donno man. $500 shipping and handling for that newsletter is pretty desperate :D
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

    Originally posted by Puremallace

    100% agree. Rift uses in game footage for most of their trailers.

    Ye that's what a lot (all?) of game companies was doing these last few years, for that exact reason, but i guess some don't mind doing steps backward for easy and quick cashs.

  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

    I would extend this gripe to box art and internet splash ads, which often feature things that have precious little to do with the game.

     

    It seems to be a favourite ploy of especially F2P games to prominently display a perfectly airbrushed beatiful female in skimpy armour as part of their internet ad campaigns :D

  • DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

    I would extend this gripe to box art and internet splash ads, which often feature things that have precious little to do with the game.

     

    It seems to be a favourite ploy of especially F2P games to prominently display a perfectly airbrushed beatiful female in skimpy armour as part of their internet ad campaigns :D

    That wouldn't make me buy the game, but I'd probably download the free wallpapers :)

     

Sign In or Register to comment.