Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Internet problems

PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

So I semi--recently built my own computer, and to get it on the net I ust went out and picked up one of those USB wirless receiver/repeater thingies. It worked fine, but now something's on the fritz. Half the time it won't connect (though it claims to be able to detect my router), and the rest of the time it connects like molasses running uphill in January. On crutches. Any ideas? Also: any alternatives to the USB thing that I could switch to?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Can you try running an ethernet cable from the router to the computer, to see if the wireless connection is the problem?

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Yeah I don't have a cord that long (a room over and up a flight of stairs). It used to work absolutely great though, so I guess hardware problems? Would I need a network adapter card for ethernet though?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Your motherboard almost certainly has a gigabit ethernet port on it.  Try moving the computer to be right next to the router, and then you can run a short ethernet cable and test the Internet that way.  I'm not saying to leave it there forever; just a test to see if the wireless local connection is the problem or not.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Okay. That is something I feel like I should have thought of. Thank you though. I'll see if that works.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Are you also running a wireless keyboard or mouse? Were they installed before you went to wireless networking? Are there any electric wires or water pipes in line-of-sight between your computer and the router? Does moving the router 3 - 4 feet to one side or the other change connectivity?

Did you secure the wireless router from non-authorized computers? Did you change it's default settings like it's administrator account name and password? Could there be someone nearby leeching your bandwidth through your wireless router?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ars2010ars2010 Member Posts: 15

I also have same problems last month ! it said router detect and etc etc.! and one of my friends said  usually your driver corupt , so I reinstall my pc then I can connect to internet again :) but I am not sure with you.