Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice please

kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

apart from the obvious advice,,stay away from this game..i have 2 chars on my account..when i went to loadstone to look at my account,even though cancelled,it said that you can only access the loadstone if you have at least one character..has something happened,server merge or have i just missed something..i cannot find any news on the loadstone about it..some help or type of explanation might help..ty in advance for any info.or is it just the case you have to be subbed to log in to loadstone?

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Right now you have to have logged into the game within the past 30 days to access lodestone.  After payment starts you will have to be a subscriber.

Anyone can access the lodestone, you just have to be active to post/edit your profile etc.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Murugan

Right now you have to have logged into the game within the past 30 days to access lodestone.  After payment starts you will have to be a subscriber.

Anyone can access the lodestone, you just have to be active to post/edit your profile etc.

thanks muru. i got sorted eventually..sorted out a sub for 6 months..just reinstalled the game..a lot of nice changes to classes from what i see.£34 for 6 months..bit of a bargain for any game..even if it is lacking content..i,m not exactly the quickest bloke out of the block.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Howdy.

I retired from FFXI last year, following my complaints about the new direction the game has taken:

Article #1: Final Fantasy XI: Easy Mode Overview, How FFXI Changed

Article #2: Final Fantasy XI: Battle for Empyrean; PK in FFXI

At the moment I am downloading FFXIV once more, and not exactly looking forward to having it tax my computer like it did last time - yet I am hoping to see this game change it's face fairly soon. Lancer has always been something of a class choice I've always enjoyed, but choosing a build isn't exactly why I'm making this post.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to get started in this game, and what sort of Linkshells would be a good bet to make my time spent in this rough game a bit more pleasing. I ask because I want to start setting up some character foundations before the new stuff is added into the game and I don't exactly enjoy playing alone. If I wanna solo, I'd play Skyrim or something.

Already I'm looking at the top two most populated servers, yet I still don't know which I really want to go onto and where I'd feel most welcome.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by OrleanKnight

Howdy.

I retired from FFXI last year, following my complaints about the new direction the game has taken:

At the moment I am downloading FFXIV once more, and not exactly looking forward to having it tax my computer like it did last time - yet I am hoping to see this game change it's face fairly soon. Lancer has always been something of a class choice I've always enjoyed, but choosing a build isn't exactly why I'm making this post.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to get started in this game, and what sort of Linkshells would be a good bet to make my time spent in this rough game a bit more pleasing. I ask because I want to start setting up some character foundations before the new stuff is added into the game and I don't exactly enjoy playing alone. If I wanna solo, I'd play Skyrim or something.

Already I'm looking at the top two most populated servers, yet I still don't know which I really want to go onto and where I'd feel most welcome.

As an oldschool XI vet I doubt you'd find a better home than Selbina (it should be obvious why so many of us XI nostalgics chose the server).  However, there are many high population servers to choose from.  xivpads.com and xivpro.com are a good place to go to look for linkshells.

Starting out you want to join a large social shell with people still leveling, Ul'dah=Jeuno and many parties form in shout so in addition to flagging yourself LFG in the new search system (which should be familiar and even a step up from XI's except that you can't use auto translate in your comments yet for some stupid reason), you may want to park yourself there for the fastest invite/formation.

After you start a character: get cure (level 2 con), get second wind for Self heal(level 6 pug), and get Invigorate for TP (level 14 Lancer).  Once you have these you are ready to start grouping, for your chosen class you may want to look at other abilities which can help you play your role better.  All abilities are listed in-game in the Actions and Traits menu by class, they are greyed out until you learn them and if you mouse over them it will tell you if they are class exclusive or not.

Expect to level pretty fast if you get good groups, they have plans to raise the cap and 1-50 is not a grueling journey.

Originally posted by Murugan

Originally posted by OrleanKnight

Howdy.

As an oldschool XI vet I doubt you'd find a better home than Selbina (it should be obvious why so many of us XI nostalgics chose the server).  However, there are many high population servers to choose from.  xivpads.com and xivpro.com are a good place to go to look for linkshells.

Starting out you want to join a large social shell with people still leveling, Ul'dah=Jeuno and many parties form in shout so in addition to flagging yourself LFG in the new search system (which should be familiar and even a step up from XI's except that you can't use auto translate in your comments yet for some stupid reason), you may want to park yourself there for the fastest invite/formation.

After you start a character: get cure (level 2 con), get second wind for Self heal(level 6 pug), and get Invigorate for TP (level 14 Lancer).  Once you have these you are ready to start grouping, for your chosen class you may want to look at other abilities which can help you play your role better.  All abilities are listed in-game in the Actions and Traits menu by class, they are greyed out until you learn them and if you mouse over them it will tell you if they are class exclusive or not.

Expect to level pretty fast if you get good groups, they have plans to raise the cap and 1-50 is not a grueling journey.

one question i would like to ask is originally you had the choice of using the abilities for AOE,but that does,nt seem to show up..cant find patch notes for changes to this..also getting hold of gear is a rwal problem,have they adressed this with some quests because the costs for gear for a newbie are way over the top..atm its not a good advertisement for people coming into the game.ty in advance for response..also sorry that was 2 questions not one lol

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by kevjards

one question i would like to ask is originally you had the choice of using the abilities for AOE,but that does,nt seem to show up..cant find patch notes for changes to this..also getting hold of gear is a rwal problem,have they adressed this with some quests because the costs for gear for a newbie are way over the top..atm its not a good advertisement for people coming into the game.ty in advance for response..also sorry that was 2 questions not one lol

The choice for AoE was removed 2 patches ago I think, can't remember for sure. And starting gear is sold from NPC's in the towns for a few Levequests worth of Gil. What nation are you in? I can link the NPC's.

Originally posted by Draron

The choice for AoE was removed 2 patches ago I think, can't remember for sure. And starting gear is sold from NPC's in the towns for a few Levequests worth of Gil. What nation are you in? I can link the NPC's.

started in ul'dah..you know wot i cant even remember what race i am..i am one of the tiny dudes..i,m a thurmatage lvl 17..i did get a robe for doin a quest that finished in lomsia,but not sure about anything else m8..i aint been playin mch..just starting to get back into it after litterally a very long time away.ty again for response.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Originally posted by Draron

O wow you still play UO? how's the game doing?

UO was/is my first love, got a nice house right outside of Brit (Tram) that has been condemed by now, lol..not really.. on Chessy