Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you slam all new MMO titles that threaten your game of choice?

I see this every time a new game is released.  The haters come out of the woodwork.  Players  launch a forum assault on any new game that "threatens" the game they play.

Do you?

Comments

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Nope

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

not me. i have never felt that my games of choice were threatened. 

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Either the game is good and I'll buy it, or it's not and won't be a threat. I don't see the need in endlessly raging on something you don't like just because it might end up taking some of your guildmembers out of your current game. Immature and pointless.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

This doesn't actually happen much, if at all.  People who have a game of choice tend to be too busy playing it to care about other games coming out.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    No, I slam most games pretty universally, all fall short in several areas, but I'm not doing so to defend a particular game, all just part of forum PVP which I enjoy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I wonder which most people will tick.  

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Sure why not. Especially if I consider the game inferior to my current game. If you say otherwhise then I know some of you would be lying.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I was (am?) slamming Swtor a bit after playing it in beta, but I don't play any mmorpg atm - cause I am tired of WoW-cloned themeparks, old games revamped in bad way into obvilion or half-assed indie projects.

Waiting for GW2 and ArcheAge.

So nah not defending any game, yet I slam Swtor and Lotro a bit.

Still I don't want Swtor to fail, just don't want it to be 'new standard' like WoW is (was?).  One size fits all template in mmprpg mainstream genre should finally end.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Kyleran

No, I slam most games pretty universally, all fall short in several areas, but I'm not doing so to defend a particular game, all just part of forum PVP which I enjoy.

This ^^^^^.

I like and dislike things in ALL games and am pretty generous with both praise and slams, so to speak.  If I think something is good, I don't find it threatening. That's just....well....insane.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

Worst thing a curious person,looking for info about a game they may purchase,could do would be to make a choice based on these forums.

The majority of people who really like the game arent here posting,they are playing it.

The people who dont like it are here flaming,trolling and trying to convince others to feel like them.

But if the haters choice of games are so good why arent they there playing it? Seems they spend more time here flaming then playing their game of choice. Go figure.

So moral of the story --- Fanboi sites will have overwhelming positive reviews/opinions/etc.

General forums like these will have more negative repsonses. Cuz the people that like said game are on the games site forums or are playing it.

Take every opinion with a grain of salt - esp the ones here. This site has more haters than most others, they flock here.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

This forum is already Free To Post, and I think the poll will remain that way a month from now.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

I see this every time a new game is released.  The haters come out of the woodwork.  Players  launch a forum assault on any new game that "threatens" the game they play.

Do you?

I criticise games that I consider bad games.

This 'threat' thing is an invention of guys that need to rationalise people simply having a negative opinion of their point of view (and therefore themselves).

The op just needs to accept that different people will criticise different games at different points in time, because they simply think a game is bad.

It really isn't any deeper then that, despite these grabs at labelling valid opinions as 'hate' continuously.

• GeroltGerolt Member Posts: 98

Of course I do. But I accidently clicked "No".

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If I opine a game is bad then it's bad for me. It doesn't matter what else there is to play. It's just a bad game. Most games just aren't for me, a few games are just bad.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

If a mmo title threaten my game of choice then that MMO will become my game of choice. Clearly I find it better then.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

I point out the flaws with the game whether I like the game or not. I don't share some silly loyalty to a game and need to defend it but just cause I like it doesn't mean I wont say what sucks about it or what needs improvement.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

The main reason why most of the posters criticize new mmo is this:

A lot of people are waiting for the new game to come out, hoping it will be a good game for them to play and love.

But as usual, it's just another WoW and most of the players are feeling dissapointed.

I think half of the people playing mmos today are just there to spend their time, waiting until better mmo shows up. That's why some of them get so upset with yet another boring clone released.

I don't think bashing the new game has to do anything with the imaginary threat to their game.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Slam's a bit harsh, and implies that some of us aren't even looking for the positive to go along with the negative. Truth be told, I speak most on these forums about games I dislike, because most of the MMO market currently consists of games I think are subpar. You'll have to take my word, though, that when I like something, I'll say it.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

You didn't put another option, one that I'd pick:

"I slam MMORPG titles because MMORPGs are utterly worthless now."

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

No

<----------- Read

Read my signature.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

As if people are going to be honest here ;)

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• Santa25Santa25 Member Posts: 3

Developers of current MMOs dont realize that the best content in MMO is player created content and player created stories.  You can have themes up the ying-yang of Warcraft, Starcraft, StarWars, Lord of the Rings etc etc but they are all transparent if the player themself cant have close to absolute freedom.

This is why Ultima Online has lasted as long as it has even with the bad directions that it took.  This is why a crappy graphics game like Minecraft was such a hit sensation.  Sandbox type games will be the big winners in the future but they have to be casualized to the extent of WoW.  Hence the new market lingo of SandPark MMOs.

The only reason WoW was such a big hit is because it was a creditable if not the most creditable company out in gaming at the time with some of the most popular franchised games in the world with Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo.  I think it was also complimented with perfect timing in technology when broadband was being fine tuned and consoles werent even online quite yet until mid-late 2005.   WoW also had a big budget to market their game world wide when most MMOs before them barely saw the light of day.  And if that didnt kill it, WoW is one of the most optimized MMOs today that it can run on some of the shittiest computers.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Isometrix
    Either the game is good and I'll buy it, or it's not and won't be a threat. I don't see the need in endlessly raging on something you don't like just because it might end up taking some of your guildmembers out of your current game. Immature and pointless.

^^ This ^^

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Normally I follow the "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" however if there are fanbois slamming an MMO I like or enjoyed or just think it's decent then hell yeah I'll defend it and slam the fanbois MMO.