Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR's biggest current issue - Combat Responsiveness

Comments

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

I try to interrupt as soon as my target starts casting. By the time it casts its too late.

Most skills are generally sluggish, it feels like lag of a second or so before casting. Then after casting a delay before it is updated graphically. Particularily annoying if finishing them off because I need to tab to next target to stop my companion form comming back. Worst of all is the sluggishness of my companion to get off their fat ass and join the fight.

I dont understand the raves of others about responsiveness. I've played a lot of mmo's and this one is pretty ordinary in this area.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

The big question is, can this be fixed, reading that link and the posts afterwards it seems they can't but those people could be wrong.

I think that was what got me while playing it in OB, I couldn't really find the words for it but XCORE and Creslin seem to  explain it best.

Though I didn't really notice the issue greatly until after PAX trying out another game in alpha(You can find out by my history in posts).

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Creslin321

Last night I logged off in frustration after doing some warzones.  It just felt like the controls were sluggish for some reason.  At first, I thought it was just lag, but after looking over this thread:  http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84943, I don't think that's the case.

There is something just..."off" with the combat responsiveness in SWTOR.  It doesn't feel nearly as slick as WoW and I think it could be a major problem.  I think that if BW doesn't find a way to increase combat responsiveness to close to WoW levels, that it could cost the game big time.  This is basically what happened with WAR.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the community here thought about this...do you notice a combat responsiveness issue in SWTOR?  If so, do you think it could be a "gamebreaker?"

If you want more issue on what exactly I'm talking about, please read the OP in the thread I linked.  He describes it better than I could.

Sluggish or ADHD?  Does the cooldown annoy you at all?

I tested for over a year, and responsiveness was not a problem at all imo.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by RizelStar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfDTbmd7vTw&feature=youtu.be

:/ needs a fix'n

I like how the speeder comes out then just, poof, denied! On a pvp server that could get you killed.

BOOYAKA!

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

Combat is very responsive for me.

My problem is that I suffer from low FPS in warzones even though I have high FPS elsewhere.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    Responsiveness in space combat is right on. The rest is a tad sluggish.

Originally posted by cyress8

I like how the speeder comes out then just, poof, denied! On a pvp server that could get you killed.

I would of been pissed but lol'd at the same time.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ya, summoning your speeder makes it particularly noticeable. I dont think it's as bad summoning your companion though, which is weird.

I think a lot of people don't see this, because TORs combat either pushes players to stand still (cover system / long channeled abilities) or favors the instant cast abilities for mobility. I know the channelled abilities for melee pose a definite problem, lucky some of them can be specced to fix it.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

The big question is, can this be fixed, reading that link and the posts afterwards it seems they can't but those people could be wrong.

I think that was what got me while playing it in OB, I couldn't really find the words for it but XCORE and Creslin seem to  explain it best.

Though I didn't really notice the issue greatly until after PAX trying out another game in alpha(You can find out by my history in posts).

How many cpu cores can the Hero Engine utilize ?  Maybe it's bottlenecked @ 2 cores.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

How many cpu cores can the Hero Engine utilize ?  Maybe it's bottlenecked @ 2 cores.

Lol was that a yes or a no

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I haven't had this problem in pve or PvP, but some of my guildmates have complained about it during warzones.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

It is definately noticable.  I also notice losing target.. A LOT.

I feel like I suffer twice as much being a melee class.   I watch the wife with her Smuggler, being ranged, the sluggish'ness that is PVP doesn't effect her as much, as she doesn't have to worry about keeping range, being kited all over the place, etc.   She can just hunker down and fire off as much as she wants, 90% of the time, people outright ignore her as she just systematically fires on people.

As a Jedi Knight Guardian, I've given up on PvP in the game.  Sure it's cute to sheild my friend and run around in circles for awhile, but that's mostly what it becomes.   The non-dimishing CC is a problem.   The overall inability to catch people (why do people seem to always be faster on foot than you?)  and just the pure delay or 'canceling' of abilities at random makes playing a melee class entirely pointless. 

Until something is acknowledged and adressed by Bioware in the realm of PVP Performance and balance, that half of the game doesn't exist for me.  Not worth the aggrevation, and not worth re-rolling something ranged just to play with borderline acceptible performance. 

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by Painlezz

Warzone does not = SWTOR... This is not a PvP game.  They added PvP as a side option but the entire core of the game is PvE.

I agree, PvP is horrible in this game, its laggy and runs like crap.  PvE however is amazing.

Nuff said.  If you want quality PvP go play Counter Strike, Dota, LoL, HoN, some other game designed with only PvP in mind... not a PvE game with PvP tacked on...  Which is what all MMO's are in my book.

Combat responsiveness effects both pvp and pve.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Hopefully this gets addressed in tomorrows patch.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by iicogigen

Combat is very responsive for me.

My problem is that I suffer from low FPS in warzones even though I have high FPS elsewhere.

that's because the engine is a pile of crap.. graphics look fine but the engine itself has some serious issues and is probably why there are cutting each phase on planets so short on people.. I can't image how bad illum is going to be if they try to get even 50vs50

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I've had attacks just vanish. If I press the button twice, the button goes on cool down but no effect. Although, its rare. Plus, there is a slight delay it would seem.

My biggest issue is a lack of lfg tool. Just silly.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Response seems perfectly fine to me, maybe try updating your drivers etc?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I don't remember any issues with combat responsiveness in beta. I didn't play all classes though, seemed to me BH and Smuggler were on the mark in this regard, it's actually what I enjoyed most about the experience outside of the story and VO. Combat seemed rather smooth and well executed.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Distopia

I don't remember any issues with combat responsiveness in beta. I didn't play all classes though, seemed to me BH and Smuggler were on the mark in this regard, it's actually what I enjoyed most about the experience outside of the story and VO. Combat seemed rather smooth and well executed.

i also never had issues with ranged combat.. its melee I've had major issues with in PVP

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I have zero interest in PvP so I can't speak for how combat is in that regard. I do see people complain about mobility and delay in abilities which shouldn't be confused with connection lag. V-Synch seems to be an issue too.

However when it comes to PvE I would say it's close to flawless except for the cover system which needs to be fixed

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Golelorn
    I've had attacks just vanish. If I press the button twice, the button goes on cool down but no effect. Although, its rare. Plus, there is a slight delay it would seem.

My biggest issue is a lack of lfg tool. Just silly.

I know this is a little off topic, but there is a looking for group tool. It may not be the kind you are used to, but it is there and works just fine.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

There is DEFINITELY an issue with combat responsiveness, but this is not it. This is just someone who is not waiting for the ability to finish firing before moving and cancelling it. Not sure if that video is a joke, or if the person who made it is really that ignorant.

• Can't say I've noticed any issues with responsiveness. So far combat's been a very fluid and responsive experience, which is one thing I really like about SWTOR when compared to other MMOs. I asked around amongst my friends who also play SWTOR (former WoW players as well) and they hadn't noticed any problems.

It sounds to me that the issue could be with certain servers not performing as well as they should... though strange since I'm not experiencing issues it on a full server. If the issue is only in PvP that might explain it, as I've only done PvE (arsenal merc and immortal jugg)

I can do the speeder bike "glitch", but combat abilities such as Tracer Missile don't suffer from similar problems - if the missile looks like it's fired it hits and does damage no matter how much I try to glitch it.

Originally posted by ironhelix

There is DEFINITELY an issue with combat responsiveness, but this is not it. This is just someone who is not waiting for the ability to finish firing before moving and cancelling it. Not sure if that video is a joke, or if the person who made it is really that ignorant.

For PVP this is an issue  there is another video of a guy getting on it but before he was a split second too early it knocked him off, there videos with combat melee moves as well.

This is were you can look for these links

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84943

Best example compared to the youtube video above is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj6LD6H0ys8